Return to Home Page
Return to Biography Index
Page, Joseph M. - ex-mayor of Jerseyville, editor and proprietor of the Jersey County Democrat, and one of the most patriotic and respresentative men of this section of the state, was born at Stoughton, Mass., May 20, 1845. He was unfortunate enough to lose his father when he was but three years old, but was reared carefully by his widowed mother, who saw to it that he attended the public schools until he was sixteen years old. Although but a mere lad at the outbreak of the Civil War, his patriotism was so great that he endeavored to serve his country, and tried to enlist in the Twelfth Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry, but was refused by both organizations. At the age of eighteen he came west to Illinois, and obtained employment on a farm in the vicinity of Greenville, Bond County, leaving this work later on to go to St. Louis, Mo., where he engaged with a wholesale grocery estabishment. Once more he offered his services to his country, and they were accepted in Augusts, 1864, and he became a member of the Fortieth Missouri Volunteer Infantry, and remained in the army until his honorable discharge in August 1865, after the war had ended. He was twice promoted, to Corporal and Sergeant.
During the spring of 1866, Mr. Page came to Jerseyville, having at that time just a quarter, "two bits" at his capital, but he immediately apprenticed himself to the carpenter trade. For the first six months his instructor was William Embley, who then turned his young apprentice over to N. F. (Nick) Smith, receiving from the latter $15 per week for his services, although he only paid the young man $2 per week for two and on half years. So faithful and efficient did Mr. Page prove, however, that when the apprenticeship was ended, Mr. Smith hired him at $18 per week, and made him his foreman. Until 1877, Mr. Page continued to work at his trade, but in that year he was elected city marshall because of the great labor strike filling the city of Jerseyville with foreign tramps and held that office for three years, resigning in October 1880, upon his purchase of the Jersey County Democrat, of which he still continues owner and editor. Further political honors awaited him, for in 1887, he was elected mayor of Jerseyville, and was re-elected to that office three times, and had he followed the wishes of the people he would have continued in that office for a much longer period. While occupying the office, a City Hall was built, the waterworks adn electric light systme inaugurated and completed, and when he returned to private life, he organized the Jerseyville Telephone Company. In 1912, he was again elected mayor and in two years put in $100,000 of vitrified brick paving and extended the water mains one mile and the sewers two miles. At present Mr. Page is master-in-chancery of the Circuit Court, having held that office for thirty-three years, and he is otherwise identified with Jersey County enterprises. In 1897, he organized the Cold Spring Gold Mining and Tunnel Company of Denver, Colo., which owns 240 acres of valuable mining land, and has a paid up capital of $2,500,000. The mine is located in Boulder County, Colo., and he is secretary and manager of the company.
On March 26, 1871, Mr. Page was married to Miss Sadie M. Remer, a daughter of Abram Remer of Jerseyville. Mr. and Mrs. Page have one son, Theodore H., who is a physician and surgeon in active practice in Peoria, Ill., and now a Captain in the U. S. Medical Reserve Corps, at Fort Oglethorpe, Ga. Mr. Page wass secretary of the Illinois Press Association, for twenty-four years and afterwards president and corresponding secretary of the National Editorial Association for fifteen years. He is now a member fo the State Highway Advisory Board of five, that will control the $60,000,000 bond issue; county chairman of the State Council of Defense and County Food Administrator, these offices being honorably without salary.
Pearce, Gilbert Ray - who is a general farmer and dairyman of Jersey Township, owns eighty acres and farms it and additional land. He was born in Fidelity Township, May 19, 1897, a son of Gilbert Drew and Hattie S. (Miller) Pearce, natives of England and Macoupin County, Ill., respectively. Gilbert Drew Pearce came to Jersey County when he was eighteen years old and began farming. After his marriage, he located on a farm in Fidelity Township, which he conducted for several years and then bought eighty acres in Jersey Township, living upon it until 1908, when he moved to Jerseyville, where he lived in retirement until his death, which occurred in February 1911. His widow survives and makes her home at Jerseyville. Their children were as follows: Grover P., who lives in Fidelity Township; Gilbert Ray; Wylmot S., who lives with his mother; and Marion D., who is also living with his mother.
After attending the grammer and high schools of his locality, Gilbert Ray Pearce, at the age of twenty years, went into a butchering business at Shipman, Ill., but a year later went to Oakland, Cal., and worked there and at Los Angeles for a year at lumbering. Still later, he returned to Shipman, Ill., and for the subsequent two years was engaged in a real estate business, and then took possession of the eighty acre fam in Jersey Township, owned by his father, and since then has carried on general farming and dairying.
On October 9, 1912, Mr. Pearce married Hattie Irene Boswell, born in Hillyard Towhship, Macoupin County, Ill., February 26, 1888, a daughter of John M. and Hannah M. (Smith) Boswell, natives of England and Bunker Hill, Ill., respectively. Mr. and Mrs. Pearce have two daughters, namely; Pauline Margaret, who was born May 17, 1914; and Harriet Vivian, who was born March 28, 1916. Mrs. Pearce is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. In politics Mr. Pearce is a Republican. Fraternally, he is a Mason, being connected with the lodge at Shipman, Ill. He is a man of enterprise and experience, and is making a success of his present undertakings.
Piggott, Andrew Begole - now deceased, was for a number of years prominently identified with the agricultural interests of Jersey County, owning and operating a valuable farm in Jersey Township o f160 arces. He was born in St. Clair County, Ill., July 6, 1856, a son of Levi and Mary (Begole) Piggott. Andrew B. Piggott attended the district schools of his native locality, and came to Jersey County in young manhood, to join his parents who had bought a farm in Fidelity Township, remaining with them, until he was married, May 15, 1889, to Elizabeth J. McCollister, born in Fidelity Township, May 9, 1862, a daughter of Isaac and Sylvia (North) McCollister, he born in Lewis County, N. Y., and she on Apple Creek Prairie, near White Hall. Mrs. Piggott's grandparents were John and Mary (Fay) McCollister, and Asahel and Prudence (Swallow) North, who were all early settlers of Greene County, Ill. Mr. and Mrs. McCollister, parents of Mrs. Piggott, were married near White Hall, Ill., and settled in Rugle Township, Greene County, from whence ten years later they moved to Fidelity Township, where they bought a farm. She died in March 6, 1880, and he died December 4, 1900.
After his own marriage, Mr. Piggott rented the Piggott homestead in Fidelity Township until 1891, when he moved to 120 acres of improved land in Jersey Township, part of Isaac McCallister's estate. Here he made many improvements, including the erection of a residence and barns, and developed a very valuable property. After his death, June 15, 1905, his widow and the children moved to Jerseyville, renting the farm, but in the spring of 1917, they returned to it and the sons are operating it, doing general farming and stockraising. Mr. and Mrs. Piggott had the following children born to them: Homer C., born June 16, 1891, who died at the age of twenty-four years; Mary, born November 17, 1892; Charles, born June 27, 1894; Leslie, born November 4, 1895, who are all at home; Mabel, who died in infancy, December 25, 1899; and Raymond, who is also at home, was born November 20, 2901. Mary, Charles and Leslie were all graduated for the Jerseyville High School, and were given a business training as well. Mrs. Piggott attended the public schools and went to high school one year. She is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, but her husband belonged to the Baptist Church. In politics, he was a Republican and he belonged to the Grange.
Pogue, Harrison Warren - Jersey County not only has some very distinguished men at present living within it confines, but the list of those who have assisted in making its history, show that there have been equally prominent ones in the past, among whom much be numbered, the late Judge Harrison Warren Pogue. Mr. Pogue was born in 1861, a son of William H. and Mary A. (Warren) Pogue. Attending the Jerseyville schools, he was graduated from its high school in 1882. Deciding upon a legal career, he began reading law in the office of Warren & Pogue in the fall of 1882, and having passed the necessary examinations, he was admitted to the bar at the May term of the Supreme Court in 1886. Immediately thereafter he entered upon general practice, which extended over Jersey and surrounding counties. His offices were in the same building his grandfather, Judge George E. Warren and his father, Judge William H. Pogue occupied, and he lived up to the high standards set by those distinguished attorneys.
Judge Harrison Warren Pogue early displayed those qualities which later so eninently fitted him for the discharge of public duties, and recognition of his ability was shown in his election to the office of State's Attorney at a special election held in 1887, to fill the vacancy caused by the resignation of A. A. Goodrich upon his election to the office of County Judge upon the death of William H. Pogue, September 21, 1887, who was the county judge. So ably did Judge Pogue serve in this capacity, that he was re-elected twice, going out of office in December 1896. In 1910, he was elected county judge of Jersey County and held that office until 1916. His death occurred November 21, 1916.
Judge Pogue was married in 1892 to Maude Knapp, and they became the parents of one daughter, Elenor Pogue.
Pohlman, William J. - manager of the telephone system of Grafton, and one of the reliable men of Jersey County, is held in high esteem by all who know him. He was born in Calhoun County, Ill., March 27, 1885, a son of Barney & Ida (Seiferman) Pohlman, the latter of whom was born in Calhoun County. These parents had the following children: Katie, Rose, Herman, Mary, Frank, Joseph, Stanislaus and William J. The family belongs to St. Mary's Catholic Church, and the father is a Democrat. He is engaged in operating his farm in Calhoun County.
Until he was thirteen years old, William J. Pohlman attended St. Joseph's Catholic School, and then commenced farming. He married Miss Mary Fortschnieder, who was born in Calhoun County, and they had the following children born to them: Gertrude, Bernhard, and George William, the latter being deceased. After his marriage, Mr. Pohlman was engaged in the retail liquor business at Brussels, Ill., closing it out to go on the police force, where he continued for two years. Leaving Brussels, he came to Grafton and assumed charge of the telephone system. He has 145 subscribers, and handles long distance and country call, and has both the Bell and Kinlock systems. In pollitics Mr. Pohlman is a Democrat, and was elected to the council from the First Ward in 1916. The Catholic Church holds his membership. A man of progressive ideas, he has forged ahead, and is giving the people of Grafton and vicinity a very effective service, and his value to his community is unquestioned.
Post, Caleb Alanson - now deceased, was for many years a capable agriculturist of Jersey County, and during his latter days a resident of Jerseyville. He was born in Jersey County, Ill., November 24, 1834, a son of James and Ardelia (Whitford) Post, natives of Vermont, who came to Jersey County in 1833, settling on the farm where their son Caleb A, grew to manhood
During his boyhood Caleb A. Post attended the district schools and he made himself useful assisting his father. Later he attended an eastern college. Marrying early, he located on a farm in Jersey County, but some years later traded it for 180 acres of land in Macoupin County. In four years he returned to Jersey County. At one time he owned 650 acres in Nebraska, and 280 acres three miles northeast of Jerseyville, but in 1903, he sold the latter farm and bought three acres of land in the northeastern part of Jerseyville, where he resided until death claimed him October 15, 1908.
Mr. Post was four times married. His first wife died within six weeks of her marriage, and he later was married to Mary Norris and they had seven children, five of whom survive. After her death, he was married to Mrs. Maggie (Murray) Murphy, and they had five children, four of whom survive. The third Mrs. Post dying, Mr. Post was married on September 9, 1894 to Mrs. Mattie A. (Springate) (Benson) Young. She was born in Jersey County, Ill., a daughter of Arthur M. and Caroline (Davis) Springate, natives of Jersey County. Mrs. Post was first married to Robert A. Benson and they had two children, namely: Clara E., who is Mrs. Fred L. Brooks, of Jersey Township; and Robert A., who lives with his mother. After the death of Mr. Benson, Mrs. Benson was married to James A. Young, but they had no issue. After thier marriage, Mr. and Mrs. Post spent many happy years together, and she greatly misses the companionship of the kindly man taken from her by death. He was a Mason, a Baptist and a Republican.
Powell, John - one of the respected retired residents of Jerseyville, has borne an important part in the life of the county. He was born in Hamilton County, Ohio, February 15, 1836, a son of John J. and Dorcas (Rigney) Powell, natives of Berkley County, Va., and Barnesville, Md., respectively. During the War of 1812, John J. Powell served his country as a soldier, and was at Washington at the time it was partially destoryed by fire by the enemy. In 1828, John J. Powell was married to Hattie Clark, who bore him five children. She died in Virginia and he later moved to the present site of Miami, Ohio, where he was married (second) to Dorcas Rigney. In the spring of 1836, he moved to Jersey County, Ill., where he bought land north of Fieldon and there he erected a grist-mill. His death occurred February 18, 1846, he having been born in 1771. The mother died at Los Angeles, Cal., in 1898.
In 1852, John Powell moved to what is now Fort Buford, Mont., going in a train of 280 wagons. He was engaged in teaming in Montana for two seasons, and then returned to Jersey County by ox-teams, arriving December 23, 1854. For a time he was engaged in farming and then went to steamboating on the Mississippi, thence to Missouri and back to Illinois, studying river navigation. In November 1861 he enlisted in Company G, Sixty-first Illinois Volunteer Infantry under General Prentiss for service during the Civil War, and participated in the battles at Shiloh, Corinth, Davis Bridge and Iuka, and was at Vicksburg during the siege of that city. Following the capitulation of Vicksburg, he was transferred to Genreral Steele's division, and assited in capturing Little Rock, Ark.; was in the engagement at Arkadelphia, Ark., where the division built a pontoon bridge across Cow's Horn Bend. Returning to Little Rock, his regiment was sent thence to Clariington, Ark., where they had an engagement and a gunboat was burned, and the command returned to Little Rock, and was then sent to Cairo, Ill. Going on to St. Louis, the command was sent to Alton, Ill., and thence to Nashville, Tenn., and then to Murpheysboro and Franklin. During this period, Mr. Powell received his commission as second liertenant, and with forty men was sent to Overall Creek, where he captured some of the enemy, but was wounded by a gunshot in thr right arm. On September 8, 1865, he received his honorable discharge at Nashville, Tenn., and was mustered out of the service at Springfield, Ill., September 8, 1865. Returning to Fieldon, he worked as a carpenter for a time and also at coopering, his employers in the latter being John and Henry Belt. Leaving Jersey County, he went on a 280 acre farm in Greene County, where his first wife died in 1870. Mr. Powell in 1872, went to New Orleans, La., to help build the Great Northern Railroad to run through Texas and Old Mexico, but in 1884, he returned to Jerseyville, and later went to Pasadena, Cal., where he built a hotel, when once more he returned to Jerseyville where he has since lived.
On September 28, 1857, Mr. Powell was married to Harriet Varble, born in Greene County, Ill., a daughter of William and Matilda Varble, natives of Kentucky. Mr. and Mrs. Powell had the folllowing children: John J., who is deceased; William, who lives at Marked Tree, Ark.; Jerome B., who died in infancy; and George and Asa, who are also deceased. Mr. Powell was married (second) to Anna E. Patterson Snow, widow of Samuel Snow. For four years, Mr. Powell served Jerseyville as constable, and he was city marshall for four years and alderman for one term, being elected to all these offices on the Democratic ticker. In 1870, he joined Kane Lodge No. 192, A. F. & A. M., and he also belongs to the Grand Army Post.
Powel, Joseph Samuel - now deceased, formerly of Jerseyville, was successfully engaged in agricultural operations in Jersey County for a number of years. He was born in Hawkins County, Tenn., August 27, 1847, a son of Oliver Perry and Sarah E. (Russell) Powel, natives of Tennessee. In 1848 they started with teams to Jersey County, the grandparents, Samuel and Margaret Powel and Joseph and Margaret Russell, coming along. The men rode on horseback and the women and children were in the wagons. Upon their arrival they took up government land in Jersey County and grandfather Russell also entered land in Iowa, and in St. Louis County, Mo. The land entered in Jersey County, is still in the Powel family. There Oliver Perry and his wife spent a number of years, but later moved to Jerseyville. Their children were as follows: Joseph Samuel Powel; Robert, who lives at Jerseyville; William, who lives at Appelton, Wis.; James, who lives in Jersey Township; Minnie, who is Mrs. William Eggleson, of Slater, Mo.; Fannie, who is Mrs. L. F. Wilson, of Folsom, N. M.; John, who lives in Jersey County, and Cornelia A., who married Clarence Hamilton.
Joseph Samuel Powel attended the school of his neighborhood, and remained with his parents until 1874 when he was married and moved six miles southeast of Jerseyville on a farm of 160 acres which Mrs. Powel owned, and he conducted it until the fall of 1912, when he moved to Jerseyville where he resided, until his death, September 67, 1918.
On October 1, 1874, Mr. Powel was married to Antoinette Van Horne, of Jersey County, a daughter of James and Nancy (Wilson) Van Horne, born in New York. For eleven years Mrs. Powel took tender care of her mother who had become blind and helpless from paralysis. Mr. and Mrs. Powel became the parents of the following children: James, who lives at Jerseyville; Cora, who is Mrs. Harry T. Darby, of Mississippi Township; Carrie, who is Mrs. Herbert G. Neely, of Jerseyville; Sarah, who is Mrs. Truman Scribner, of Mississippi Township; Spencere, who is operating his father's farm; Andrew Wilson, who is in the employ of the Continental Motor Co., of Detroit, Mich.; and Minnie, Russell and Joseph, who are all deceased. In politics, Mr. Powel was a Democrat, and he was elected on that ticket and served as school trustee of his township. Fraternally, he belonged to the Oldd Fellows and the Encampment, and the Modern Woodmen of America, and formerly was quite active in the Grange. A man of intelligence and excellent ideas, he always took the lead in his community and was held in high esteem by all who knew him.
Powers, Walter - One of the successful grain farmers of Fidelity Township, has proven his right to be numbered among the leading young agricuturalists of Jersey County. He was born at Alton, Ill., October 12, 1882, a son of Walter and Ellen (McCarthy) Powers. Natives of Ireland, they came to the United States, where they subsequently married, and after coming to the vicinity of Alton, Ill., bought a farm upon which they lived, and where six children were born to them. They then bought 160 acres of land in Fidelity Township, where the father died in October, 1899, the mother surviving him until 1906. Their children were as follows; John J., and Naomi, who both live at St. Louis, Mo.; Nellie, who is now deceased, was Mrs. T. C. Malney; Kate, who lives at St. Louis, Mo,; William, who lives in Fidelity Township; Walter; Edward, who lives at St. Louis; Lizzie, who is Mrs. Bartholomew Lahey, of Springfield, Ill,; and Mary and Irene, who are both living at St. Louis, Mo.
Walter Powers attended school in his native district and in Fidelity Township, and remained with his parents until April 12, 1904, when he was united in marriage with Mary Hart, of Cedar Rapids, Iowa, a daughter of James and Mary (Maley) Hart. Following his marriage Mr. Powers rented 205 acres of land in Fidelity Township, and in 1907, he rented the L. G. Wilkinson farm in the same township, comprising 400 acres, which he still operates, doing grain farming and raising horses, cattle and hogs. Mr. and Mrs. Powers have the following children: James, Mary Ellen, John, William Francis. A Catholic, Mr. Powers belongs the church of his faith at Shipman. In politics he is a Democrat, while his fraternaly relations are with the Moder Woodmen of America, at Fidelity, Ill.
Source: History of Jersey County Illinois, 1919
Edited by Oscar Hamilton
President Jersey County Historical Society, 1919
(Actual Book Pages 497 - 664)(PDF Pages 632 - 799)