Return to Home Page
Return to Biography Index
Reardon, Francis Gerald Griffin - one of the leading attorneys of Jersey County, is a young man of sterling and upright character and is a very highly respected member of his profession. He was born August 10, 1883, at Boynton Center, Tazewell County, Ill., and aside from the time spent attaining his education and in the practice of the law, has been occupied largely in farm work. His parents, Bryan and Ann (Flemming) Reardon, were natives of the counties of Tipperary and Waterford, Ireland, respectively. They came to the United States shortly before the outbreak of the Civil War, and Capt. John Reardon and Edward Flemming, Jr., brothers, respectively of Bryan and Anna (Flemming) Reardon, were soldiers in the Union Army.
The grandparents were Daniel and Margaret (Keefe) Reardon and Edward and Honora (Cooney) Flemming. Daniel Reardon, with his family, emigrated to America and settled on the Delavan Prairie, in Tazewell County of this state. Edward Flemming, having died in the old country, the mother, Honora, wishing her children to have better opportunities than were offered in Ireland, decided to try their fortunes in America, and came to the United States with all of them, except her eldest daughter, Anna, who was then eleven years old, and located at Pekin, Ill. Anna, two years later, after a long and perilous journey alone from Ireland, joined her mother at the new home of the family in Illinois.
After his marriage, Bryan Reardon settled on a farm in Hopedale Township, Tazewell County, and later moved to his farm at Boynton Center in the same county. Here he died, July 10, 1906, but his widow survives and stlll makes her home on the farm. Their children were as follows: Edward E., who lives in Oklahoma City, Okla.; Michael, who lives at Delavan, Ill.; Neal Daniel, who lives at Omaha, Neb.; Bryan, who died March 22, 1904, aged twenty-eight years; William J., who lives at Pekin, Ill; Clarence H., who lives west of Fieldon, in Jersey County; Charles Carroll, who lives on the homestead; and Francis Gerald Griffin, of Jerseyville, who was the youngest.
After attending public school at Boynton Center, Gerald as is more intimately known among his personal acquaintances, entered the high school at Delavan, which school on different occasions he successfully represented both in athletics and debating. He was graduated therefrom as valedictoian of his class. Following htis he matriculated at the University of Illinois, and took his degree of A. B. in the College of Science in 1910. After finishing the course in general science, he studied law there for one year, and then entered the John Marshall Law School at Chicago, where he took a year's course. The following year was spent in the College of Law in the Wesleyan Univertisty at Bloomington, Ill., from which he was graduated with the degree of LL. B. in 1912. Immediately thereafter, he was admitted to the practice of law in this state, and entered actively in this profession at Pekin, Ill., where for a short period he was associated with he elder brother, William, then State's Attorney of Tazewell County.
In the spring of 1913, Gerald Reardon came to Jersey County, went on a tract of land in the Nutwood Drainage and Levee District, in Richwoods Township, and helped to improve and clear the same for agricultural purposes. Shortely after locating on the farm he was chosen drainage and levee commissioner of the district, and while there, in the latter part of 1913 and 1914, combined the duties of this office and he work of reclaiming land for farm purposes.
Mr. Reardon, while attending the universities, took a very active part in the social, literary and scientific functions of those institutuions. When at the University of Illinois he became a member of Phi Kappa Fraternity. He also belonged to Philomathean Literary Society of that institution and took a very active part in a number of debates and other oratorical contests during his collegiate career. He was a member of the Chemistry Club, a scientific organization of the university, the members of which applied themselves to the study and investigation of scientific matters pertaining to chemistry and other studies closely allied thereto. He was also a member of the Athletic Association.
On April 1, 1915, he became associated with Will T. Sumner in the practice of law at Jerseyville. He took the place of Thomas F. Ferns, who retired from the legal firm of Ferns & Sumner, and since then Mr. Reardon has devoted himself to the practice of his profession with remarkable distinction. The people of the city of Jerseyville, in the spring of 1917, adopted the commission form of government. Mr. Reardon was chosen corporation counsel by the new administration and serves the city in that capacity and as legal advisor under the new regime.
Reed, Edwin E. - a prosperous farmer of Jersey County, owns 160 acres of land, one-half mile outside of Dow, Ill. He was born in Jersey County, June 3, 1860, a son of Joseph O. and Nancy L. (McDow) Reed. Joseph O. Reed was born in Virginia and came to Jersey County with his parents, here following farming. His wife was a sister o fJ. H. McDow, whose sketch appears elsewhere in this volume. About eighteen years before his death, Joseph O. Reed, moved to Cowley County, Kas., where he passed away. Druing the Civil War, he served his country as a soldier. In politics he was a Republican, and in fraternal matters he affiliated with the Odd Fellows. For many years he was a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
Edwin E. Reed attended the district schools until he was seventeen years old, and then went to Shurtleff College for a short period. He was married on October 4, 1882, to Mary Buckles, born in Jersey County, November 8, 1863. Her parents came here from England. After his marriage, Mr. Reed went to Kansas and lived there for twenty-two years, then went to Missouri, and spent two years. He was in the employ of the Adams Express Company at Kansas City, and worked for them prior to going to Missouri. Returning to Illinois, Mr. Reed bought his present farm, which he operated until recently when he retired and moved to Dow.
Mr. and Mrs. Reed have had the following children: Hallie E., who was born July 21. 1884, is married to Bernice Frank, and their children are, Mary F., and Edwin E., Walter I., who was born May 1, 1887, lives at Granite City, Ill., and married Mabel Smith, and they have one son, Walter, who is deceased; Helen, who was born July 19, 1890, is Mrs. Walter Knight, and she has one son, Joseph E.; Clarence B., who was born, October 5, 1894, married to Maurine Smith. Mr. Reed belongs to the Masons and Elks. He is widely and favorably known, standing very high in public esteem because of his sterling character.
Retterath, William J. - one of the substantial business men of Jerseyville, and a man widely and favorably known throughout Jersey County, was born at Evansville, Ind., August 6, 1853, a son of W. J. Retterath who was born iin Germany. In young manhood the father caem to the United States where he worked as a baker and confectioner. After the death of his first wife in 1854, he changed his location several times and finally came to Jerseyville, where he died in 1864.
After the death of his father, William J. Retterath lived with his stepmother. He learned the tinner's trade, and worked at it for twenty-nine years for the Daniel's Hardware Store, doing all kinds of work in his line. In 1914, he entered into the hardware business himself, specializing on tin work of all kinds, and has been very successful.
On September 16, 1876, Mr. Retterath was married to Mary Senger, born in Jersey County, Ill., a daughter of Louis Senger, a native of Germany. Mr. and Mrs. Retterath became to parents of the following children: William L., and Edward, who are deceased; Mabel and Elizabeth, who live at St. Louis, Mo,; Minnie, who is at home, and Augusta, who is in St. Louis. Mr. retterath had but few educational advantages, and they were confined to those afforded in the common schools. He is a member of the German Lutheran Church, but his daughters are Baptists. In politics he is a Democrat, and fraternally he belongs to the Modern Woodmen of America.
Rhine, Rollie Vale - now living in comfortable retirement at Jerseyville, owons a very valuable farm of 120 acres of land in Fidelity Township. He was born near Bunker Hill, Ill., January 7, 1860, a son of Martin and Ann E. (Jones) Rhine, he born in Cape Girardeau, Mo., and she in England. He came to Macoupin County, Ill, at an early date, while she was brought to Alton, Ill., by her parents, who settled there when there was but one warehouse in the village. After marriage, Mratin Rhine and wife located at Carlinville, where he worked at his trade of cabinetmaking. While there he had an unusual and unpleasant experience, for during the cholera epidemic he was forced to work night and day to make a sufficient number of coffins for the burial of the victims of that dread disease. Later on in life he bought a farm near Bunker Hill, Ill., and there he was engaged in farming for many years. When he sold his farm he retired to Shipman, where he died in 1900. His wife died in 1881.
Rollie Vale Rhine spent his boyhod at home, and attended the district schools. When his mother died he left home and until 1889 was engaged in working for farmers by the month. He was then married and rented a farm at Rockbridge, Ill., for three years. In 1902, he bought 120 acres on section 12, Fidelity Township. Although this was an improved farm, he made many changes and greatly increased its value, conducting it as a stock and grain farm until 1910 when he moved to Jerseyville, renting his property. Since 1910, he has spent a year at Denver, Col., and in Colorado Springs in the same state.
On January 1, 1889, Mr. Rhine was married to Catharine Chism, born in Macoupin County, Ill., one and one-half miles north of Medora, a daughter of John and Rachel (Skeen) Chism, natives of Kentucky and Tennessee, respectively. Mr. and Mrs. Rhine have no children. In politics he is a Democrat, while fraternally he belongs to Medora Camp. M W. A.
Rich, James Hooper - owner of 260 acres of valuable land in Fidelity Township, belongs to an old and honored family. He was born in Fidelity Township in August 1872, a son of Samuel and Hannah (Grandy) Rich, he born in England, and she in Greene County, Ill. He came to America in 1851, making the trip on a sailing vessel which took thirteen weeks to cross the ocean. Landing at New Orleans, he spent Christmas Day of 1851 in that city, and then came up the Mississippi River to Alton. It is interesting to note that the passage from England to New Orleans cost only $3.10, while from New Orleans to Alton, the fare was $11.00. Alton was only a day's trip by boat from St. Louis. Two sisters of his had already made the trip and one was married to John Hooper of Fidelity Township, and Samuel Rich joined his sisters in Jersey County, Ill.
After his marriage, Samuel Rich bought land, having saved up and added to the $100 he had with him when he arrived in Jersey County, and in time he acquired 860 acres, and lived on his farm until his death. A friend of education, he held offices of school director and trustee. He and his wife had the following children: Clara, who is Mrs. Beeby of Urbana, Ill.; Elizabeth Birkenmayer, who lives in Fidelity Township; William of Christian County, Ill.; and Arthur, who is the twin brother of Cora, lives in Fidelity Township, on the original homestead of his father. Samuel Rich died in 1904, and his widow died in 1913.
James H. Rich attended the district schools and one winter at Shurtleff College, Upper Alton, Ill. In October, 1897, he was married to Alice Thatcher, born in Jersey County, a daughter of Paul C. and Hannah (Van Pelt) Thatcher. After their marriage, Mr. and Mrs. Rich lived on the 160 acre farm they now own, and erected their present residence in a wheat field. They put up all of the other necessary farm buildings, and made many improvements, including the building of suitable fences and the installation of modern farm machinery, so that now they have a very fine propperty. On it they raise horses, cattle and hogs and carry on general farming. They have one son, Russel T., who was born in November 1902. Mr. Rich is a Baptist and served the church for eight years as its treasurer. In politics, he is a Republican, and fraternally he belongs to Fidelity Camp. M. W. A.
Richards, William P. - one of the substantial business men of Jerseyville, is engaged in conducting a poutry, egg and country produce establishment and has held a number of positions of responsibility and trust. He was born at Jerseyville, June 11, 1865, a son of John L. C. and Mary A. (Corbett) Richards, he born at Springfield, N. J., and she at Bristol, R. I. The grandparents, William and Elizabeth (Clark) Richards, were born at Springfield, N. J., and Penuel and Charlotte (Bourne) Corbett, he born at Miilford, Mass., in 1789, died at Jerseyville, in May 1888, and she August 31, 1795, died at Jerseyville, September 1, 1880. In 1855, John L. C. Richards came to Jerseyville, where he carried on contracting and building and later embarked in a lumber business at Alton, Ill. Enlisting in Company C. One Hundred and Twenty-fourth Illinois Volunteer Infantry, he served during the Civil War, and was mustered out with the rank of Captain. In 1836, the Corbetts came to Jerseyville by boat on the Ohio and Mississippi Rivers to Alton, Ill., and thence by team to Jerseyville. Penuel Corbett was a school teacher and he taught the first school in Jerseyville. Later on in life he engaged in farming. The parents of William P. Richards were married at Jerseyville in 1859. Following the close of the Civil War, John L. C. Richards continued his contracting business and was postmaster of Jerseyville from 1877 to 1882. He was the organizer of the G. A. R. Post at Jerseyville. In 1883, he moved to Missouri and later to Colorado Springs, Colo., where he died October 12, 1908. His wife died in Missouri October 12, 1894.
William P. Richards attended grammer and the high school of Jerseyville, and after he was graduated from the latter, he was a clerk and assistance postmaster from 1883 to 1895. He then conducted a hardware and furniture business under the firm name of Richards, Beaty & Compay from 1898 to 1902. During this period he was state agent for the Mutual Life Insurance Company of Kentucky. In 1898, he established his present business with W. M. Manning as a partner, and has continued it ever since. In 1906, he was appointed postmaster of Jerseyville and served until 1914. In 1902 he bought a controlling interest in the Jerseyville Republican, with J. W. Becker. In the winter of 1913, Mr. Richards sold the Republican to Krug & Son and since 1914, has devoted his time to his poultry, egg and country produce business, which has assumed large proportions.
On November 6, 1889, Mr. Richards was married to Lora A. Cowen, born in Jersey County, Ill., a daughter of Francis M. and Mary (Landon) Cowen, born in Jersey County. The grandparents, William and Maria (Cory) Cowen, were born in Vermont, and in 1832 came to Jersey County, entering land in Jersey Township, which is still owned and occupied by members of the Cowen family. Mr. Cowen died in 1869 and Mrs. Cowen in 1867. Mr. and Mrs. Richards became the parents of two children, namely; Theodore Clark, who is an attorney of New York City; and Bernice, who is Mrs. Joseph H. McCready of Okmulgee, Okla. Mr. Richards belongs to the First Presbyterian Church of Jerseyville, of which he is an elder, and he is superintendent of the Sunday school. A Republican, he has served two terms as a member of the city council. A thirty-second degree Mason in good standing, he has also attained to the Knight Templar degree, and is also a Shriner, and belongs to the Modern Woodmen of America. As both of his great-grandfathers were Revolutionary soldiers, he is a member of the Sons of the American Revolution.
Roady, John - for many years a successful general farmer of Fidelity Township, now living retired on his farm, was born in Knox County, Tenn., May 4, 1846, a son of Nathaniel L. and Rebecca (long) Roady, natives of eastern Tennessee who came to Jersey County in the fall of 1851, driving overland and settlling on a farm he bought from the original owner how had secured it from the government. There the parents both died. Their children were as follows: Christian, how lives in New Mexico; Sarah E., who is Mrs. William Moore, a widow, who lives at Fidelity, Ill,; Thomas, who lives at Sunnyside, Wash,; Peter, who also lives at Sunnyside; Henry, who lives at Denver, Colo.; Fannie, who is Mrs. George Clower, of Piasa, Ill.; Alfred, who lives at St. Louis, Mo.; and John.
John Roady in boyhood had to assist his father in clearing their land of timber, after arrival in the new home, and had but little time to attend school. In 1867, he began renting land and continued to farm on rented land until he bought forty acres. From time to time he added more land until he owned 100 acres in Fidelity Township, and 100 acres of the old homestead which adjoined it, and lived on this property until he sold it and bought eighty acres of finely improved land in Fidelity Township. Here he carried on general farming until 1917,, when he rented his farm, but contunues to live on it.
On October 21, 1867, Mr. Roady was married to Rebecca Jones, born in Madison County, Ill., a daughter of Thomas and Adeline Jones. Mr. and Mrs. Roady have the following children: Charles Petty, of southwestern Oklahoma; John, how lives at Alton, Ill.; Dora, who is at home; Grace, who is Mrs. Oliver Strunk, of Medora, Ill.; and Alice, who is Mrs. Grant Goodman, of Macoupin County, Ill.
Mr. Roady belongs to the Baptist Church at Fidelity, Ill. In politics he is a Democrat and he has served as road commissioner, school trustee and school director. He is a man well and favorably known throughout the county and deserves the respect and esteem which is his, for he has been honest, industrious and neighborly and has done his part in advancing the interests of Fidelity Township.
Robb, Alexander C. - who is a representative citizen of Jersey County, has been prominent in business and pollitical circles for many years but is now living retired at Jerseyville. He was born in Greene County, Ill., May 27, 1868, a son of John L. and Elizabeth (Crone) Robb, born near Belfast, Ireland, who were married there, and from there came to Chicago, Ill., early in 1860. Soon thereafter, they located on a farm near Kane, Ill., in Greene County. In 1876, they retired from the farm to Kane, Ill., where the mother of Alexander C. died in 1876, the father surviving her until 1907, when he passed away being a resident of Jersey County.
After he had completed the school course at Jerseyville, Alexander C. Robb was a clerk in the post office of Jerseyville for two years, and then connected with coal and lumber interests at the county seat, and in 1914, bought a coal and lumber business at Kane. On September 1, 1916, he sold his Jerseyville business to F. R. Miller. When the State Bank of Jerseyville was re-organized, he was made its vice president, and held that office until he resigned in the spring of 1917. In 1911, Mr. Robb ran for office of mayor of Jerseyville, and was defeated, but when he ran again for the same office in 1913, he was elected by the largest majority ever given in this city, and was re-elected in 1915, meeting with no opposition. In politics he is a Democrat.
On June 20, 1894, Mr. Robb was married to Capitola Davis, born in Pike County, Ill., a daughter of Levi M. and Sarah (Walk) Davis, he born in Kentucky, and she in Pike County, Ill. Mr. and Mrs. Robb have no children. Mr. and Mrs. Robb are members of the First Church of Christ, Scientist, of Boston, Mass. Fraternally, he belongs to the Jerseyville Chapter, R. A. M., and the Carrollton Commandery, K. T. He is also a member of the Jerseyville Lodge, No. 954, B. P. O. E., of which he was exalted ruler during 1915 and 1916.
Roerig, Frank W. - now living retired in Jerseyville, is still interested in looking after his fine 160 acre farm. He was born at Jerseyville, January 29, 1860, a son of Anthony W. and Teressa (Zeiser) Roerig, he born in Prussia and she in Germany. During the rebellion of 1848, Anthony W. Roerig was against the oppressive government, and became one of the leaders for freedom, and was imprisoned but fortunately escaped, and he came to the United States in a sailing vessel. He was four months on the ocean, but finally landed at New Orleans, and from that city he came up the Mississippi River as far as Alton, Ill., and thence overland to Jerseyville. Later he became the regular stage driver between Jerseyville and Alton, so continuing until the building of the Chicago and Alton Railroad. His last trip from Alton was on the day and at the hour that the first train left Alton, and he arrived at Jerseyville only an hour behind the train. During his long residence at Jerseyville, he as interested in much of its earlier building activity, and was a very prominent and substantial man. His death occurred in 1873, but his wife lived until 1888. Their children were as follows: Fannie, who is Mrs. W. C. Pfeffer of St. Louis, Mo.; Frank W.; Mary L., who is matron of the State Institution at Polk, Pa.; Teressa J., who is the widow of W. M. Hanley, of Jerseyville; William, who lives at San Antonio, Tex., and Anthony, who lives at Jerseyville.
Until he was thirteen years old, Frank W. Roerig, attended the public schools, then began working on a farm, so continuing for three years. He then started to learn the harnessmaking trade, and two years later took up carriage-trimming work. For the succeeding three years he worked as a carriage trimmer, and then started in business as a harness maker, but sold his business, December 23, 1903. He has always been interested in farming and still enjoys looking after his 160 acre farm in Jersey Township, and in addition to it owns business and residential property in Jerseyville.
On Apirl 19, 1897, Mr. Roerig was married to Anna M. Dreesbach, born at Arenzville, Ill., a daughter of William and Caroline (Kuttenkuchler) Dreesbach, born in Siegburg, Germany. Mr. and Mrs. Roerig have no children. Mr. Roerig served two terms as alderman, being elected on the Democratic ticket. He belongs to the Odd Fellows. A man of excellent principles and high moral charater, he stands well in his community and is a very desirable citizen.
Rowden, Frank - one of the leading business men of Fieldon, and substatial citzen of Jersey County, has borne an important part in the development of this section. He was born in Rosedale Township, February 18, 1876, a son of Miles F. and Lydia (Maltimore) Rowden, natives of Jersey County. The paternal grandparents were natives of Virginia. The materanl grandfather, John Maltimore, was born in Ohio and they came to Jeresy County at an early day, and bought land. John Maltimore became the largest landowner in the western part of Jersey County, and was a leading Democrat and very prominent man. After their marriage, Miles F. Rowden and his wife settled in Rosedale Township, where he was thereafter engaged in farming.
When he was eleven years old, Frank Rowden went to live with Freeman Sweet, of Shipman, Ill., and attended school at that place and at Hooperston, Ill. In 1895, he returned to Jersey County, and for five years he was engaged in teaching school in the township of Richwoods. He then formed a partnership with F. C. Heitzig and the firm conducted a mercantile business for three years, when Mr. Rowden bought his partner's interest and continued the business along until 1907. In that year he sold, and became cashier for the Belt Bank at Bunker Hill, Ill. On November 19, 1910, he helped to organize the State Bank of Fieldon, of which William Wieghard is president: L. J. Krueger iis vice president; and Frank Rowden is cashier. Mr. Rowden is commissioner of the Nutwood Drainage District, and he served for four years on the Board of Review, and for the same number of years as supervisor. For one term he was Mayor of Fieldon, and he is one of the live men of this section. The Methodist Episcopal Church holds his membership. Fraternally he belongs to Jerseyville Lodge, A. F. & A. M.; Jerseyville Chapter, R. A. M., and Fieldon Camp, No. 1683, M W. A.
On June 7, 1897, Mr. Rowden was married to Mary Heitzig, born in English Township, a daughter of Fred and Anna (Wahle) Heitzig, natives of Jersey County, Ill., and Germany, respectively. Mr. and Mrs. Rowden have three children, namely; Cornelia, Fred F., and Robert C.
Ryan, Richardson, Jr. - one of the substantial farmers of Ruyle Township, owns and operates 242 acres of very valuable land on section 35. He was born in Ruyle Township, November 7, 1855, a son of Richardson and Angeline (Richey) Ryan, he born at Zanesville, Ohio, in 1818, and she in Pope County, Ill., in 1822. He was a son of John and Jane (Wilcox) Ryan, natives of Philadelphia, Pa., and New London, Canada. They were married at Janesville, Ohio, and later came by boat on the Ohio and Mississippi Rivers to Alton, Ill., and located about three miles south of Jerseyville on a farm. While he was away working at his trade of a millwirght, one of his chldren was taken ill, and the brave wife hitched up a yoke of oxen and started off on a ride of twenty-five miles to Carrollton to reach the nearest physician. After she had gone some distance, her motherly heart would not rest for fear some accident would befall the children left at home, so she turned back, secured the other children, took them to a neighbor, and then resumed her journey to the doctor. It is interesting to know that the child recovered and later became Dr. Charles Ryan of Springfield, Ill., who died in Jamuary, 1883. After several years of the farm, the grandfather sold and went to Greene County, Ill., locating southwest of Carrollton, where he remained twelve years. Once more he sold and returned to Jersey County, locating in what is now Ruyle Township, buying about 1,400 acres of land in Ruyle Township. There he died, January 8, 1863, and the grandmother died also on the homestead. The maternal grandparents, James and Julia (Robinett) Ritchie, were natives of North Carolina, who were marreid in Pope County, Ill., and the grandfather conducted a ferry at Cape Girardeau. He was noted for his sound judgment, and for many years was a justice of the peace. Buying considerable land in Jersy Township, he became one of the leading men of that locality.
After his marrige, the father of Richardson Ryan, Jr., settled on section 25, Ruyle Township, and at the time of his death, owned 580 acres of land. In 1849, with he brother Dr. Charles Ryan, he took the overland trip to the California gold fields, walking all the way from St. Joseph, Mo., and enduring many hardships. On one occasion, after going without water for two days, the little company came to a water hole, but none save he would drink, as there were five dead mules lying about it. After traveling a considerable distance further, however, and finding no other water, they decided that the contaminated water was better than none, and Richardson Ryan, being the most poweful man in the company, returned on foot with two pails, and carried back some to his companions, as far as known all surviving the unpleasant experience. After arriving in California, the two brothers spent a season digging for gold, and then he and Dr. Charles Ryan went into commission business in Sacramento, where they remaiined for two years. They then returned home by was of Central America to New York City, and thence overland to the Ohio River and by boat to Alton. From there he took a team to his old home and afterward was engaged in farming until his death. He and his wife had three children, namely: Alice, who is Mrs. George Drake, of Ruyle Township; Leonard, who died at the age of sixty-four years; and Richardson.
There are some interesting stories preserved in the family regarding pioneer days. One of them tells of an occasion when the family, possessing of course no matches, and being unable to strike fire with the flint and steel, went a long distance to the nearest neighbor, and brought back sufficient coals to start a fire.
As long as the elder Richardson Ryan lived, his son lived with him, and then inherited the 242 acres of land which he continues to operate, although from 1887 to 1888, he lived at Jerseyville in order that Mrs. Ryan have expert medical attendance. In 1888, he returned to his farm and has since been engaged in general farming. He has remodeled the residence and barns, and has a very valuable property. The farm is known as the Oakland Stock Farm. On January 24, 1883, Mr. Ryan was married to Lillie May Flatt, born in Jersey Township, December 31, 1865, a daugher of John and Rebecca (Bryant) Flatt, natives of England. Mr. and Mrs. Ryan have two children, namely; Agnes, who is Mrs. Richard Chism, of Macoupin County, Ill.; and Walter, who is at home. Mr. Ryan attended the Oakland District school and has served it as a school director for many years, and he also served as assessor for three years. In politics he is a Democrat. Few men are better known than he, and he is held in very high esteem as a fine type of American citizen.
Source: History of Jersey County Illinois, 1919
Edited by Oscar Hamilton
President Jersey County Historical Society, 1919
(Actual Book Pages 497 - 664)(PDF Pages 632 - 799)