Return to Home Page
Return to Biography Index
Sanders, Clarence F. - owner and operator of the famous Elmhurst Stock Farm of Ruyle Township, has one of the finest rural properties in Jersey County, and has brought it to its present condition through his own efforts. He was born in Ruyle Township, October 17, 1876, a son of Charles and Laura (Brown) Sanders, he born in Ruyle Township, and she in Chesterfield, Macoupin County, Ill. He was born November 10, 1845, and died April 12, 1878, while she was born March 24, 1847, and survives, residing at Greenfield, Ill.
The paternal granfather, Benjamin Sanders, born January 24, 1802, in Vermont, died January 22, 1882, while his wife who bore the maiden name of Deborah Woodman, was born February 21, 1806, in Greene County, Ill. In 1820, Benjamin Sanders came west, stopping in Ohio for two and one-half years, where he worked for eight dollars per month on a farm. After leaving Ohio, he came to what is now Ruyle Township, and entered a tract of government land, adding to it by purchase until he had 680 acres of upland, and 920 acres of bottom land. After settling on his farm, he conducted a steamboat on the Mississippi River. At one time he owned a fine running horse that would outclass almost any other animal. At one time he was giving his horse a workout, when two men came along in a buggy and asked where they could find Benjamin Sanders as they wished to see his celebrated horse. Seeing that neither he nor his horse were recognized, Mr. Sanders offered to put up $300 that he could beat them with his horse, and his offer being accepted, easily outdistanced them and won the money. As they were leaving he disclosed his identity. In later life he moved to Virdin, Ill., where he had previously bought about 500 acres of land, and there he died. After their marriage, Charles Sanders and Laura Brown settled on the Sanders homestesd of 1,600 acres, and there he continued to farm the remainder of his life with the exception of the winters during his later life, when he and his wife lived at Greenfield, Ill. Becoming ill, he went to St. Louis, Mo., for treatment, and died there in a hospital. His children were as follows: Platt and Stanley, who with Clarence F., all live in Ruyle Township; and Pearl.
Clarence F. Sanders attended the district schools and after the second marriage of his mother, he remained with her and his step-father at Greenfield where they took up their residence. After two years, however, he came to his 400 acre farm his father left him. This property had no improvements, and only 125 acres were under cultivation, the balance being in timber. He went to work immediately and during the years that followed erected a fine residence and other buildings, and has everything including the latest improved macninery. He has been a heavy raiser of cattle, buying, feeding and selling them, and raises and feeds hogs. The products of his farm have a wide and deserved popularity.
On October 27, 1898, Mr. Sanders was married to Nellie Bates, born in Macoupin County, Ill., a daughter of Frank and Rocetta (Brown) Bates, he born in Greene County and she in Macoupin County, Ill. The grandparents William and Martha (Maze) Bates were born in Tennessee, while John Henry and Martha (Husky) Brown were born in Macoupin County. Mr. and Mrs. Sanders have had the following children born to them: George E., Jene V., and Mellnotte and Frances who died when four and one-half months old. Mrs. Sanders attended the schools of her district and one term at the Carlinville High school. Mr. Sanders is a Baptist and is a deacon in his church. He served as a school director and trustee, and is a Republican in politics. Fraternally, he belongs to Kemper Camp, M. W. A.
Sauvage, Conrad - a retired farmer of Grafton who formerly was extensively engaged in farming in Jersey County, comes of an old and honored family in this country. His parents, Conrad and Ann Sauvage, were of French birth, who came to the United States in 1854, locating in Meigs County, Ohio, where he died in 1866. They had eleven children, all of whom are deceased except Conrad Sauvage. He was a child when his parents immegrated, and he was reared at Chester, Ohio, where he attended school.
When he ws eighteen years old, Conrad Sauvage went to Fort Wayne, Ind., and spent a year, being engaged in farming in that vicinity. The next seven years were spent by him at Alton, Ill., where he was employed in railroad work, and he then came to Jersey County and for a time was employed in the quarries, becoming head drill man. He then bought a farm in Jersey County, and conducted it successfully until his retirement. During the Civil War, although only thirteen years old, he was made a mail carrier for the government, and probably was the youngest carrier ever employed by the United States government. Being captured on one occassion by General Morgan of the Confederacy, he was forced to act as a guide for the enemy over the territory with which he was well acquainted.
After coming to Jersey County, Mr. Sauvage was married to Mary Simpson, of Irish-Scotch descent. Mr. and Mrs. Sauvage have had the following childern born to them: Anna Amberg, who lives at Wood River, Ill; and Mary, who died in infancy. Mr. Sauvage belongs to the Lutheran Church. In politics he is a Republican. A man widely and favorably known, he deserves the confidence he inspires.
Schwarz, John G. - manager of the Jerseyville Telephone Company, and ex-alderman of the city, is one of the thoroughly representive men of Jersey County. He was born at Jerseyville, in September 1869, a son of John G. and Catherine (Fritz) Schwarz, natives of Germany, who came as young people to Jerseyville, where they were married. He was a stage driver on the route between Jerseyville, Alton and Jacksonville, and also had a large vineyard, and made wine and distilled liquors, including apple and peach brandy, his plant being an extensive one for that day. In addition he operated a livery business for many years. Later on in life he was one of the organizers of the Electric Light Company, and held office in it, and he was one of the four men who organized the Jerseyville Telephone Company, and was one of its directors as long as he lived. For several years prior to his death he lived retired from active participation in public life, but never lost his interest in civic affairs. Jerseyville owes much to him and his name is held in high regard to thid day. His death occurred in November, 1895. The mother of John G. Schwarz died in January 1910. Their children were as follows: Mary, who is the widow of George C. Vosburgh of St. Louis, Mo.; Rosa C., who is the widow of Bery Hyatt; and John G.
John G. Schwarz has spent his life at Jerseyville. He attended its grammer and high schools, and the dental department of Washing University of St. Louis, being graduated from the latter in 1904. For the subsequent six years he was engaged in the practice of his profession at Jerseyville Telephone Company, which operates both the Bell and Kinlock systems. The officers of the company are as follows: J. M. Page, president; H. A. Shepard, vice president; and John G. Schwarz, secretary and treasurer. In 1916, the company took possession of the handsome modern building it now occupies, which is as well equipped as any similar one in the country. He is also vice president of the Jerseyville Building, Loan & Homestead Association.
On June 2, 1897, Mr. Schwarz was married to Sarah A. White, born in Knox County, Mo., a daughter of John H. and Susan C. (Towson) White, born in Simpson County, Ky., and Harrison, Pa, respectively. Mr. and Mrs. Schwarz have two children: Ruth Virginia and George Russell, both of whom are at home. Mr. Schwarz is a Presbyterian, is a member of the choir, a trustee of the church, and has served as superintendent of the Sunday school. A Democrat, he served as a member of the city council from the Second Ward, and while he was in office the first paving was put in, as well as the system of sewers. A prominent member of the Knights of Pythias, he has represented his lodge at the Grand Lodge upon three separate occasions. A man of public-spirit and wide experience, Mr. Schwarz is giving his company and community a fine service, and his efforts are appreciated.
Seago, James L. - one of the most influential men of Jersey County owns a magnificent farm in English Township, as well as land in Greene County, and is numbered among the leading agriculturalists of this part of the state. He was born in Greene County, Ill., in that portion now incluced in Jersey County, January 7, 1837, a son of John and Mary Ann (Campbell) Seago, natives of North Carolina who were reared in Tennessee. The paternal grandparents were born in North Carolina. In 1823, they journeyed overland with wagons and horses to Greene County, where they entered government land. The maternal grandparents, James and Elizabeth (Pace) Campbell, were among the very earliest settlers of English Township, where they entered and cleared land. The grandfather rafted lumber down the Mississippi River to St. Louis, Mo.
After their marriage, John Seago and wife settled in what is now Richwoods Township, leaving it for English Township in 1844, where they bought eighty acres of land, to which they kept on adding until they owned 185 acres. He was a Democrat and held many local offices. While on a visit to Tennessee, he died in 1869. His widow survived him, passing away in English Township in 1879. Of their ten children, of whom James L., was the eldest, three survive, namely: James L.; George, who lives at St. Louis, Mo.; and Douglas, who lives in Richwoods Township.
On September 17, 1863, James L. Seago was married to Achsah Carrico, born in English Township, a daughter of John and Winnie Ann (Van Meter) Carrico, natives of St. Louis County, Mo., and southern Illinois. After their marriage they lived on two acres of land in English Township for two years, and then sold and Mr. Seago leased a tract of land which he conducted for three years, when he bought forty acres in English Township. Two years later he traded this farm for eighty acres, and within a couple of years sold it and secured sixty acres of tiimber land that he cleared, adding to it twenty more acres. He kept on buying timber land, and clearing it, and now has 360 acres of fine stock land, 200 acers of which he cultivates. He also 500 acres of land in Greene County, Ill., that he rents. While clearing off his land, Mr. Seago sawed lumber used to build the Chicago & Alton Railroad bridges, and for many buildings connected with the road.
Mr. and Mrs. Seago have had the following children born to them: Oscar A., a physician, who lives at Springfield, Ill.; Winnie Ann, who is Mrs. J. T. Berry, of Morgan County, Ill.; George M., who lives at Jerseyville, Ill.; and Charles T., who lives at Springfield, Ill. Mr. Seago attended the primitive subscription school, but only to a limited extent. Mrs. Seago went to the Hickory Log district school. A Baptist, Mr. Seago has been a deacon of his church for many years. He is a Democrat and has held a number of township offices.
Searls, Thomas - now deceased, was for many years a substantial agriculturallist of Jersey County. He was born in County Cork, Ireland, and came to the United States in young manhood, making the trip in a sailing vessel which was on the Atlantic Ocean for six weeks. He landed in New York City, and for a time was in the employ of a large wholesale house there. It was during the period of his residence in New York City, that he was married to Mary Beatty, a daughter of Mrs. Sarah Beatty, born in Dublin, Ireland. Mr. and Mrs. Searls had the following children: Sarah who owns the home farm, lives at Jerseyville; William, who died May 29, 1912; Mary, who is Mrs. William Kennedy of Jersey Township; and Thomas W., who died in Oregon, leaving four children: Chester, who is deceased, was serving in the United States Navy; Etta, who is a trained nurse, at St. Luke's Hospital, St. Louis; Gladys, who lives with her Aunt Sarah; and Ray, who is married and lives on the old homestead owned by Miss Sarah Searls.
In 1857, six years after his marriage, Mr. Searls came to Jersey County, and bought eighty acres of land in Jersey Township, forty acres of which was covered with timber. Later, he added two eighty acre farms, and at the time of his death had 240 acres of land. He continued farming until his death, which occurred November 25, 1906. Mrs. Searls died February 2, 1899. In politics, Mr. Searls was a Republican. He belonged to the Methodist Episcopal Church. A man of high principles, he lived up to his convictions, and was held in universal respect.
Miss Sarah Searls attended the district schools of Jersey Township. She belongs to the Ladies Aid Society of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and the Woman's Relief Corps.
Seik, George J. - agent of the Standard Oil Company, with head-quarters at Grafton, is one of the progressive men of Jersey County. He has held his present for three years, and is in charge of all the company's business in this locality. He was born at Grafton, January 5, 1868, a son of Herman Seik, a native of Germany, who came in young manhood to the United States, and was working as a laborer when the Civil War broke out, and he enlisted in defense of the Union, serving for four years. He had the misfortune to lose the sight of an eye through exposure while in the service. Following the close of the war he came to Grafton. Here he was married to Mrs. Syntha O. (Wheeler) Gibson, a widow with two children, namely: Leona and Morton Gibson. Mr. and Mrs. Herman Seik had the followig children: Geroge J.; Anna Owen, who lives in Oklahoma; Rosa Marshall and Martha Meier, who live at Grafton; Willie; Syntha; Charles; Herman; Harry; and Mabel. Both parents and the five children last named are now deceased.
Until he was seventeen years old, George J. Seik attended the Grafton schools, and then began farming. Later he operated a steam drill in a quarry, and also engaged in fishing, and conduted a motor boat. Going with the Mid-Continent Oil Company of East St. Louis, Ill., he was their agent for three years, and then was an independent agent for a time, finally entering the employ of the Standard Oil Company as agent for the Decatur division, and is regarded as one of the most competent and faithful men in the service.
Mr. Seik was married to Irene Slaten, who is a native of Grafton, and their children are as follows: Mabel, who taught school at Grafton for several years, is now the wife of Roscoe Baxter: Edgar, who is now serving his country in France as a Marine; and Harold and Herman, who are both at home. Mr. Seik is a Republican, and is president of the school board of trustees and has been a member of the town board. The Methodist Episcopal Church holds his membership. Fraternally, he belongs to the Modern Woodmen of America, and he and Mrs. Seik are members of the Royal Neighbors. They are active in the work of the Red Cross, and Mrs. Seik belongs to the Protective League, and both are ardent supporters of all patriotic measures, and are proud of the fact that they have the right to hang a service card in their window.
Shea, John S. - known as "the apple king of Jersey County," and a man who has taken a very prominent part in the public life of the county, is an honored resident of Jerseyville. He was born at Grafton, Ill., December 24, 1871, a son of Dennis and Abbie (Van Antrep) Shea, he born in Ireland and she in Jersey County, Ill. The mother died when John S. Shea was an infant. The grandfather, Michael Shea, came to the United States from Ireland by way of New Orleans. Dennis lived in that city until the ourbreak of the Civil War, when his two brothers entered the Confederate Army, and he came up the Mississippi River to Alton, Ill., where he enlisted in Company D, Second Illinois Cavalry, as his sympathies were with the North. After his ninety-day period of enlistment expired, he re-enlisted for three years or until the close of hostilities, and served in all four years and seven months. Following his discharge, he came to Grafton, Ill., and worked in the stone quarry at this point for seventeen years. He then bought 200 acres of land in Quarry Township, and was engaged in farming until his death, which occurred in 1908. Their children were as follows: Michael E., who lives at Alton, Ill.; Anna, who is Mrs. Michael Bowman of Chesterfield, Ill.; Katie, who is deceased; Margaret, who is the wife of Martin Dunn of Jerseyville; Rebecca, who lives at St. Louis, Mo.; Hannah, who is the wife of Benjamin Matthews of St. Louis; and Agnes, who also lives at St. Louis; and John S.
John S. Shea left school when he was sixteen years old, and worked at farming until he was twenty years old. At that time he went to Grafton, and served for twelve years with the Riplay Hardware Company as a sheet metal worker. He then moved to Batchtown, Calhoun County, Ill., and there conducted a sheet metal, hardware and agricultural implement businessd for six years, later selling to go to Hardin, Ill,. where he embarked in a fruit evaporator business and continued it for three years. A fire destroying his plant, in which he lost all he owned, Mr. Shea moved to Jerseyville and leased the 123 acre apple orchard owned, by Dr. A. H. Van Horne, and the 40 acre orchard of Stephen Bowman. Later he bought the 123 acre orchard of the Carlin estate in Jersey Township, and three years later the 63 acre orchard of the Ware estate, and has developed into the largest apple grower in Jersey County, so that the name "apple king" is his by right of conquest.
On October 18,1893, Mr. Shea was married to Anna Watson, born in Quarry Township, a daughter of John and Keziah (Hughes) Watson, natives of Jersey County and Ohio, respectively, who came at an early day to Rosedale Township. Mr. and Mrs. Shea became the parents of the following children: Dennis, Naomi, Ruth, James, who died in infancy, Mark, Myrtle, Catherine and Mary. Mr. Shea is a Catholic. He is a Repubican, served on the Grafton town board for four years, and for the same period of the Batchtown town board, and was treasurer of the latter place for two years. Fraternally he belongs to the Knights of Columbus, and the Elks. Few men of this section are better known than Mr. Shea, and certainly none are more popular, he measuring up to the best standards as a man and public-spirited citizen.
Shephard, Henry A. - now retired, but for many years a substantial banker of Jerseyville, is recognized as one of the city's leading citizens. He was born at Jerseyville, May 17, 1858, a son of William and Ann Maria (Gross) Shephard, a sketch of whom appears elsewhere in this work. After attending the common school in Jerseyville, and the Jerseyville High School, Henry A. Shephard took a course in the University of Norte Dame, Ind., and then began his business career as a clerk in the bank of Bowman and Ware. In 1890, this bank consolidated with J. A. Shephard & Co., to form the State Bank of Jerseyville, of which S. H. Bowman is president; John A. Shephard was vice president; and Henry A. Shephard was assistant cashier until 1912, when the last named retired. Since 1912, Henry A. Shephard has lived retired.
A stalwart Democrat, Mr. Shephard served for four continuous terms, from 1894 to 1902, as mayor of Jerseyville, and in 1907 was honored by election to the State Assembly, and was re-elected serveral terms, serving in the Forty-sixth, Forty-eighth, Forty-ninth, and Fiftieth General Assemblies from the Thiry-eighth District, following in his father's footsteps, as the latter served in the upper house from the Sixth District from 1871 to 1875. During his long service in the legislature, Henry A. Shephard secured the passage of some very important bills and was always to be found supporting those measures which had the support of the best class of people.
On June 10, 1885, Henry A. Shephard was married to Matilda R. Revere, born at Council Bluffs, Iowa, a daughter of Godfrey and Medina E. Revere. One son, William F., of Jerseyville, was born April 16, 1896. Mrs. Shephard died February 10, 1902. Mr. Shephard belongs to the Modern Woodmen of America; the Elks, which he served as exalted ruler for two terms, and as district deputy grand E. R., and president of the Illinois Elks Association; and also belongs to the Knights of Columbus.
Shephard, William - now deceased, was for a number of years one of the highly respected residents of Jerseyville, and a man who was held in high esteem during life, and was regretted by a wide circle when death claimed him. He was born in Yorkshire, England, but came to the United States in young manhood, and for some years was bookkeeper for a railroad constuction company in an eastern state. Desiring to branch out for himself, he came west to Jerseyville, and after establishing himself in that city, in a shoemaker business, returned to Pennsylvania, and was there married to Ann Maria Gross, born at Elizabeth, Pa.
Returning to Jerseyville, William Shephard entered railroad work as a contractor, and executed some very important contracts, rising to be president of the St. Louis, Alton & Jacksonville Railroad, now part of the Chicago & Alton Railroad. He built the branch of the Chicago & Alton from Dwight to Steator, and the Farmers Railroad which is now a branch of the Chicago, Burlingotn & Quincy, from Jacksonville to Waverly; and also a branch of the Chicago & Alton from Roodhouse to Louisiana, Mo. Later he went to Texas and built part of the International and Great Northern Railroad, now included in the Gould System. Before this contract he founded the firm of William Shephard & Co., which later became William Shephard & Son, and conducted it as a banking business until he sold his interests to Bowman & Ware. The banking house that he founded, thus became in time the State Bank of Jerseyville. William Shephard passed away, August 16, 1875, and in his death Jerseyville lost one of its most representative men.
The children born to William Shephard and wife were as follows: William V., who died in February 1875; Francis B., who died in 1876; John A., who died July 2, 1912; Henry A., who is still living; Mary E., Louisa C., Annie M., Flora L., and Lelia T., who is Mrs. G. R. Smith, all reside in Jerseyville. The work accomplished by William Shephard lives after him, and his name will always be associated with the railroad systems of Illinois. To him and men lfhis kind, is due the credit of the expansive of this section, for until the railroads were made positive facts, there was no great influx of population. With the completio of these roads came many settlers and capital, and from then on Illinois has grown until it is now one of the most important states in the Union.
Shephard, William Francis - There was a time that is very easily recalled, when the ownership of an automobile was such a luxury becasue of attendant expense, largley in the line of storage, repair and supplies, that only the people of wealth could enjoy one. This condition has entirely changed and the automobile is no longer a special indication of affluence. This change has been brought about by various things, mainly perhaps, because of the general establishing of public garages and the handling of all kinds of automobile accessories, together with maintaining repari departments with expert mechanicians in charge. This is a business that is interesting many enterprising young men and in William Francis Shephard, Jerseyville has a competent, courteous, energetic and prosperous example.
William Francis Shephard is a native of Jersey County, Ill., and was born at Jerseyville, April 16, 1886. His parents are Henry A. and Matilda (Revere) Shephard. The mother was born at Council Bluffs, Iowa, but the father is a native of Jerseyville, an honorable representative of an old county family.
William F. Shephard attended the common schools at Jerseyville and also completed a course in the high school before becoming a student in Washington University, St. Louis, Mo. He was twenty-six years of age when he embarked in business, erecting a commodious garage at Jerseyville and fitting up a first class repair shop. He handles all automobile accessories and maintains storage departments with floor space sufficient to accommodate many machines. He is selling agent for the Studebaker, the Oldsmobile and the Chevrolet cars.
Although his business demands a large part of his time, Mr. Shephard is public spirited enough to give much attention to public matters in a civic sense, and after four years of satisfactory service as alderman of his ward, on April 17, 1917, he was elected mayor Jerseyville, under the new commission form of government. He has had additional business experience, as in 1906-7-8-9-10-11 and 1912, he was assistant cashier of the State Bank of Jerseyville. In both business and public life he has shown excellent judgment and has favored progress along every line. Mr. Shephard is identified with numerous social organizations and belongs to the Benevolent & Protective Order of Elks, No. 954, at Jerseyville. He is a member of the Catholic Church.
Shortal, John M. - who is widely known over Jersey County in agricultural circles, for some years has been one of the representative business men of Jerseyville, where he is manager of the Farmers Elevator Company, of which he was one of the organizers. Mr. Shortal was born in Jersey County, Ill., June 23, 1867, and is a son of Patrick and Margaret (Sheedy) Shortal, both of whom were born in Ireland, the latter in County Clare and the former in County Kilkenny.
Patrick Shortal came when grown to the United States and here, after marriage, he became a farmer in Jew Jersey. In 1865, he brought his family to Jersey County, Ill., locating first in Otter Creek Township. In 1872, he sold that farm and bought another which was situated in Jersey Township, and there he continued to reside until 1905, when he and wife retired to Jerseyville, where she died in October, 1909, and he in October, 1913. They had seven children, four of whom were born in New Jersey: Mary, how lives in St. Louis, Mo.; Robert B., who is a resident of Jerseyville; Nellie, who is the wife of Michael Cummings, of De Soto, Mo; Catherine, who is the wife of Peter Infelt, of Stockton, Cal.; John M,; James, how is deceased; and Joseph M., who resides in St. Louis.
John M. Shortal secured a public school education, attending the Shiloh, the Possum Trot, the Washington and the White Rose district schools and the Jerseyville High school. He assisted his father on the home farm until he was twenty-seven years old and after his marriage had entire charge of the same for five years, after which he operated different farms in the county, including the J. T. Gramas farm in West Jerseyville, for four years, the A. O. Outen farm in Jersey Township for seven years, and then moved on the farm of Judge Thomas F. Ferns in Jersey Township, on which he continued for nine years. Mr. Shortal then came to Jerseyville and in association with P. J. Flemming and Joseph Schmieder, organized the Farmers Elevator Company, of which he is one of the stockholders and is also manager. It is a very prosperous business enterprise of this section and has the entire confidence of the public most closely concerned. Mr. Shortal owns 160 acres of fine farm land in Jersey Township.
On April 30, 1890, Mr.Shortal was married to Miss Anna Dunphy, who was born in Jerseyville and is a daughter of Patrick and Mary (Dwyer) Dunphy, the father being a native of County Tipperary and the mother of County Kilkenny, Ireland. Mr. and Mrs. Shortal have eight children as follows: Leo Raymond, who operates his father's farm in Jersey Township, married Mae Dabbs and they have one son, John E.; Irene M., who resides with her parents; John Leslie, who is concerned in agricultural operations in Jersey Township; and Grace A., Paul E., Hazel A., Margaret M., and Florence C., all of whom reside at home. Mr. Shortal and his family are members of St. Francis Xavier Catholic Church. In politics Mr. Shortal is a sound Democrat. He is a member of the Knights of Columbus and the Western Catholic Union and belongs also to the Modern Woodmen of America and the order of Elks.
Shortal, Robert Bernard - district manager of the Commercial Health and Accident Company of Springfield, Ill., with headquarters at Jerseyville, is one of the live and progressive men of Jersey County. He was born at Bordentown, N. J., March 8, 1859, a son of Patrick and Margaret (Sheedy) Shortal, he born in County Kilkenny and she in County Clare, Ireland. They settled in New Jersey where her father worked as a farm laborer, and in 1865 they came to Alton, Ill., aand six weeks later reached Jersey County, settling on a farm near Grafton. In 1873, they moved near Kane, Ill., where the father bought a farm and conducted it for some years. He then located at Jerseyville and lived retired until his death which occurred October 13, 1913. The mother died October 28, 1909.
Robert Bernard Shortal attended the grammer and high schools of Jerseyville, being graduated from the latter when he was over age, and he began teaching with further study. From 1883, he taught school during the winter terms and worked on farms in the summers until 1906, during that period teaching for three terms at Fidelity. As early as 1882, Mr. Shortal was deputy township assessor, and in 1906, he was appointed deputy sheriff and so served until 1910, during that period also serving as jailor. In 1910, he began working for Frank Hardacre, of Vincenes, Ind., representing him upon the road until 1912, when he was elected circuit clerk to fill the unexpired term of Ludovic Laurent. After serving ninteen months, he became associated with his present concern, and eight months later, was made disctict manager of northern Illinois.
On July 20, 1893, Mr. Shortal was married to Anna West, born in Jersey County, a daughter of George W. and Mary J. (Farmer) West, natives of Jersey Township and Indiana, respectively. Mr. West survives and resides at Welston, Okla., but Mrs. West died in September, 1905. Mrs. Shortal's grandgparents, George and Emily (Wood) West were born in Jersey County, while Eli and Eliza (Prought) Farmer were born in Ohio and Pennsylvania, respectively. Mr. and Mrs. Shortal became the parents of four children, one daughter and three patriotic sons; Harold I., who lives at St. Louis, Mo., is now in the United States Navy; Joseph A., who is serving his country in the United States Ambulance Corps; Dorothy A., who is at home; and George Robert, who is a Radio Operator in the United States Navy. His home is at Detroit, Mich. Mr. Shortal is a Catholic and Mrs. Shortal is a member of the Baptist Church. He belongs to A. Steelman Camp No. 3410, M. W. A., of which he is a charter member, and he has been counsel, clerk, advisor and manager of the camp. He also belongs to the Knights of Columbus, and served the Modern Woodmen as a delegate to the National Convention at Kansas City, Mo., in 1897.
Simpson, Levi - a farmer of Quarry Township, who is actively engaged in agricultural pursuits, was born in Effingham County, Ill., February 3, 1852, a son of John and Mary Simpson, natives of Illinois and Tennessee, respectively. Their children were as follows: Mary Elizabeth; Abel, who is deceased; Levi; John, who is deceased; Tabitha, who is deceased; Isaac, who is deceased; Nancy; Martha; Alvin; and Edwin.
Levi Simpson attended school in Effingham County until he was fifteen years old, at which time the family moved to Jersey County, locating north of Grafton. He remained with his parents, assisting them with the farm, until he was twenty-four years old, and then he began farming for himself. He has conducted his farm of 204 acres by himself, and it is located on section 6, Quarry Township, and has been very successful as a general farmer.
On November 26, 1876, Mr. Simpson was married to Miss Lydia Rollings, born in Jersey County, September 21, 1858, whose parents were farming people. Mr. and Mrs. Simpson have had the following children: Lela, who is Mrs. Robert Conrad; Bertie, who is Mrs. Williams, has three children, Bernice, who is Mrs. Walter Wadlow has a son, Reginald, and Harold and Eva; Fred, who resides in Quarry Township, married Lulu Wedding, and have a daughter, Ruth; and Raymond, who resides at Alton, Ill., married Elsie Haunce, and they have a daughter, Margaret Dale. Mr. Simpson belngs to Silurian Lodge No. 449, I. O. O. F. He has always taken an intelligent interest in the progress of his township, and is proud of the advancement it has made. He is a Democrat.
Sisson, Cyrus A. - who is one of Jerseyville's most highly respected citizens, is a representative of one of the old pioneer families of western Illinois, and can trace his honorable ancestry beyond the Revolutionary War, in which his great-grandfather bore a noble part. Mr. Sisson was born in Otter Creek Township, Jersey County, Ill., February 25, 1864, and his great-grandfather, Henry Eaton, was born in Wales. Henry Eaton served in the Revolutionary Army under Gen. Nathaniel Greene, as an ensign, and in that capacity was with General Greene in the campaign in South Carolina. He died of yellow fever when on his way home. The family lost his military record through the burning of the archives in Washington in 1812.
John Wesley Sisson, father of Cyrus A., was born in Botetourt County, Va., March 7, 1813, and was a son of Abner and Susanna (Hardy) Sisson, the former of whom was born in Rockbridge County, Va., a son of Caleb Sisson, born in England, but of Scotch descent. Susanna Hardy was born in Maryland. John W. Sisson was married to Martha Jane Eaton, February 16, 1843. She was born in Jefferson County, Ky., April 16, 1827, and was a daughter of Thomas and Sarah (King) Eaton, the former of whom was born in Cumberland County, Pa., March 12, 1780, and the latter in Kingston, Miss., October 2, 1787.
In 1837, John Wesley Sisson moved from Jefferson County, Ky., to Macoupin County, Illinois, and continued to live there until the spring of 1850, when he bought land in Jersey County, near the site of the first free school in Illinois. He maintained his home in Otter Creek Township, but acquired much other land, enough in fact to give each of his eight children a farm in Illinois and Nebraska. His death occurred December 27, 1896, and that of his wife, December 20, 1894. Their children were: Susan S., who was born March 16, 1844, is the widow of Charles P. Stephenson; Henry Hardy, who was born January 12, 1846, died December 25, 1915, at that time being a resident of Matagorda County, Tex., and a veteran of the Civil War; John Franlkin, who was born October 30, 1847, died at Lincold, Ill., July 28, 1906; Louisa Maria, was born November 3, 1849, is the wife of Shephard S. Bell, and lives at Lincoln, Neb.; Emma Cordelia, who was born April 3, 1852, is the wife of Israel C. Noble, of Alton, Ill.; Jessie M., who was born October 18, 1860, resides with her brother Cyrus, born in 1864; and Olive Augusta, who was born February 23, 1867, is Mrs. Albert L. Lamb of Jerseyville; Newton W., who was born January 18, 1854, died June 1, 1855; and Martha V., who was born May 19, 1857, died October 28, 1858.
Cyrus A. Sisson attended the public school of Otterville and continued to reside on the home farm and look after agricultural interests until 1900, in which year he found a satisfactory tenant and moved to Jerseyville, where he purchased a comfortable modern residence. Mr. Sisson has never married, but his sister makes a pleasant domestic atmosphere and carefully looks after his health and comfort. In politics, Mr. Sisson is a Republican. All his life having been a man of temperate views, it is gratifying to him to see the present legislation going forward that promises temperance all over the land. Mr. Sisson is a member of the Christian Science organization at Jerseyville.
Slaten, Abraham Lincoln - a prosperous farmer and reliable citizen of Jersey County, is held in high esteem by the people of Grafton. He was born at Grafton, January 5, 1861, a son of Benjamin F. and Maria (Askew) Slaten, of English and French descent, respectively. The family came from Georgia to Jerseyville at an early day, and Benjamin F. Slaten became an attorney of more than local celebrity, serving serveral terms as prosecuting attorney of Jersey County. He and his wife had eight children, evenly divided as to sex, and of them two of the daughters and one of the sons are deceased.
Abraham Lincoln Staten attended the local school until he was eighteen years old when he began farming on a farm his father owned, and when he was twenty-four years old, he became the owner. He was married to Florence Julia Spaulding, who was born in Jersey County, and comes of English descent. Mr. and Mrs. Slaten have the following children: William, who lives on the homestead; Pluma and Tressa, both of whom are engaged in teaching in Grafton; Harold, who lives at home; and Leola, who is attending school. Mr Slaten is a Republican, and has been township assessor and supervisor. The Methodist Episcopal Church holds his membership. Fraternally, he belongs to the Masons and Odd Fellows. A capable and very popular man, he has served honorably in the offices to which he has been elected, and has proven himself in every way worthy of public confidence.
Slaten, George W. Jr. - one of the enterprising and reliable merchants of Grafton, and a man whose success is well merited, was born near Grafton, January 26, 1847, a son of George W. and Lemontine Slaten. The father of George W. Slaten, Jr., was born in Georgia and came to Illinois in young manhood. A carpenter by trade, he later became a farmer. The mother was born in North Carolina, but was reared in Tennessee, and while on a visit to the home of a sister in Illinois she met and was married to George W. Slaten. They had a large family of children, of whom the following survive: George W.; Clara Spangle; Louisa Hughes; Margaret L.; Henry L., who lives in Jersey County; Robert, who lives at Alton, Ill.; and Thomas L., who lives at Mena, Ark. Another son, John P., was killed in a railroad wreck in North Dakota. A daughter, Alzada, died early in life.
Until he was nineteen years old, George W. Slaten, Jr., attended country schools, and then went ot Keokuk, Iowa and attended its high school and after returning to Jersey County, he was engaged in teaching school for twenty years, his first school being at Pleasant Cove. Entering the mercantile field, he conducted a general store for a time, then was connected with the wholesale house of George T. Webb & C., of Kansas City, Mo., for eight years. Mr. Slaten then went upon the road as a traveling salesman. Still later he embarked in a general merchandise business at Grafton, subsequently transferred his business to Upper Grafton. Politically he is a Republican, and is now serving very acceptably as township clerk. Fraternally he is an Odd Fellow.
On May 20, 1879, Mr. Slaten was married at St. Louis, Mo., to Emma M. Johnston, and they have a daughter, Mrs. Byrd Crull, of Grafton. By a former marriage, Mrs. Crull had three chldren; George Peirce, Emma and Alice Heffington. Emma and Pierce were twing. The little girls are now deceased, but the son is living.
Smith, Ralph R. - cashier at the bank of Fidelity and one of the sound financiers of Jersey County, is a man of stabitiy and integrity. He was born at Franklin, Morgan County, Ill., July 3, 1879, a son of William A. and Lydia (Roberts) Smith, he born at Scottville, Macoupin County, Ill., and she at Franklin, Ill. After their marriage they located on a farm in the neighborhood of Franklin, and from there moved to various points until 1891, when they bought a farm near Scottville. Two years later they moved to the vicinity of Paymyra, Ill., where the father died August 5, 1917. The mother survives and makes her home in Paymyra.
Ralph R. Smith attended the grade and high schools and Jacksonville Business College, and also took a course in Walton's School of Commerce, Chicago, as a public accountant. After completing his high school course, he secured a first class certificate and taught school for two years. After taking his business course he became an operator for the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy Railroad and was stationed at various points, including Virden, Sorento and Girard, continuing in this line until 1908, when he bought a farm near Palmyra, Ill., and conducted it for two years. For the subsequent two years he was in the employ of Duncan Bros., at Modesto, and later was clerk and bookkeeper for a bank at the point. In November, 1913, Mr. Smith was appointed cashier at the Bank of Fidelity, and has been discharging the duties of this important position ever since.
On October 30, 1904, Mr. Smith was married to Leatha Bishop of Sorento, Ill., a daughter of Alfred F. and Florence A. (Chapman) Bishop, native of Sorento. Mr. and Mrs. Smith have had the following children: Edith Maurine, who was born in February, 1906; Florence Pauline, who was born in June, 1910; and Helen Elizabeth, who was born in February, 1913. Mr. Smith belongs to the Presbyterian Church of Palmyra which he served as treasurer and he was also teacher of the Young Woman's Bible class in the Sunday school at Fidelity. He is a Democrat in politics and served on the school board and was a member of the village board at Modesto, and holds both offices at Fidelity. Fraternally, he is a member of the Odd Fellows and Knights of Pythias at Palmyra. A capable, sound and reliable man he deserves the success he has achieved, and merits the confidence he inspires.
Snyder, Christopher R. - a prosperous general contractor and prominent man of Jerseyville, was born in Somerset County N. J., March 15, 1854, a son of Christopher and Elizabeth (Randolph) Snyder, natives of Germany who died in New Jersey. Christopher R. Snyder attended the common schools until he was sixteen years old, and then began working in a furniture factory where he remained for two years and on leaving the factory he began learning the carpenter trade. In 1878 he came to Jerseyville, and was engaged in farming for two years, but then resumed work at his trade, prospering to such an extent that in 1892, he branched out as a general contractor, and has so continued ever since. He has erected the principal buildings at Jerseyville, and his contracts are faithfully executed.
On February 20, 1879, Mr. Snyder was married to Mattie E. Harvel, born in Jersey County, Ill., September 15, 1868, a daugher of Perry and Ann (Grimes) Harvel, natives of North Carolina. Mr. and Mrs. Snyder have had the following children: Watler and Herbert, who are of Jerseyville; Clara, who is Mrs. Ruford Johnson, lives at Jerseyville; and Dorothy, who is Mrs. John Howe, of Ashland, Ill. Mr. Snyder is a Republican and served two terms as alderman of the First Ward. Fraternally, he belongs to the Odd Fellows, which he joined in 1875; the Modern Woodmen of Amerca and the Elks, and Mrs. Snyder belongs to the Rebekahs.
Springman, Leo - now living retired, for many years was one of the leading agriculturalists of Piasa Township, where he is still residing. He was born in Baden, Germany, November 2, 1849, a son of George and Helen C. (Baker) Springman. In the fall of 1855, George Springman started on a sailing vessel for the United States and after being on the ocean for fifty-six days, landed at New Orleans, from whence he came up the Mississippi River to Alton, Ill., and lived in Madison County for some time. At first he worked at coal mining, and later engaged in farming, coming finally to Piasa Township, where he bought eighty acres of land, half of which was cleared and the balance was in timber. He cleared off the timber and added another eighty acres to the farm, improving all of the land, and here he died January 7, 1897. His wife died October 18, 1895. Their children were as follows: Leo; George, who lives at Alton, Ill.; Wilhelmina, who is Mrs. Sigmon Whitman, of Alton, Ill.; Sophia, who is Mrs. James Kerns, of Alton, Ill.; Edward, who lives in Texas; and Lawrence, who lives at St. Louis, Mo.
When he was twenty-two years old Leo Springman began working for neighboring farmers, and spent three months in this way which represents the only time he was away form the homestead on which his father had built a large brick house that is still standing. On June 9, 1872, Mr.Springman was married to Francesco Whitman, born in Baden, Germany, whose parents died in that country. She came to Jersey County when she was nineteen years old. After his marriage, Mr. Springman lived with his parents for three months, and then rented land in the vicinity. When he father died he took possession of the homestead of 160 acres which he has since conducted, although, since 1907, he has played but a passive part, his son taking the active labor off his hands. Mr. and Mrs. Springman have had the following children born to them: Emma, who is Mrs. John Burns, of Piasa Township; Louisa, who is Mrs. Alvin Oertle, of Fidelity; Edward, who lives in Piasa Township; Anna, who is Mrs. Thomas Garmley, of Alton, Ill.; Minnie, who is Mrs. Thomas Maloney, of Piasa Township; Theodore, who lives in Madison County, Ill,; Leo, who lives in Alton, Ill.; Frank, who is operating the homestead; and Philomina, who lives at St. Louis, Mo. Mr. Springman belongs to the Catholic Church of Brighton, Ill. He is a Democrat and has served on the school board.
Squire, Ludlow P. - now deceased, was formerly one of the enterprising citizens of Jerseyville, whose death removed a man of worth. He was born at Plainfield, N. J., October 5, 1839, a son of Israel and Martha (Kirkpatrick) Squire, that latter being the daughter of a Presbyterian Minister. About 1846, Israel Squire and his wife came to Illinois, driving overland, and on the trip he was unfortunate enough to accidentally break his leg. Mrs. Squire must have been a courageous and capable woman, for she successfully set the broken member, and as far as possible took his place. They encountered many other difficulties before they finally reached Jerseyville. After their arrival, they located on a farm south of Jerseyville, and there Ludlow P. Squire was reared.
After attending the district schools, Ludlow P. Squire entered Shurtleff College, at Alton, Ill. In 1878, he located at Kane, Ill., later going to Carrollton, Ill., and at the latter place he conducted a feed business. He moved his feed business to Jerseyville, and conducted it until 1880, in the meanwhile buying a farm of 152 acres, two and one-half miles east of Jerseyville, which he rented. In 1880, he bought a tract of land on the edge of Jerseyville, and subdivided it into town lots, giving the addition his name. Always interested in the advancement of Jerseyville, he advocated public improvements, and demonstrated strong civic pride. His death occurred Augusst 6, 1914, and since then his widow and her brother live in the old home on West Pearl Street.
On March 8, 1878, Mr. Squire was married to Elizabeth Mershon, born at Trenton, N. J., a daughter of Theodore and Adelia (Sunderland) Mershon, natives of Trenton, N. J., who, in the spring of 1863, came to Jersey County, and bought a farm two and one-half miles east of Jerseyville. Mr. Mershon died in 1887, and Mrs. Mershon passed away in 1899. Mrs. Squire attended a private school and a woman's college at Trenton, N. J. Mr. Squire was a member of the Baptist Church. A Democrat, at times he served as a member of the Jerseyville city council. He was a Mason.
Stanley, Edward Buchanan - a prominent and representative farmer of Jersey Township, was born on section 25 of this township, November 22, 1856, a son of Matthew Cook and Elizabeth (Armstrong) Stanley, he born in Cheshire, England, and she is Pennsylvania. In 1840, Matthew C. Stanley came to Jersey County, and the following year he was married and bought a farm on section 25, Jersey Township. The maternal grandparents, Thomas and Mary Armstrong, were natives of England and New Jersey, respectively. In 1839, they drove overland to Jersey County, and rented land in Jersey Township. Matthew C. Stanley died in July 1912, his wife having passed away in 1901. Their children were as follows: Carrie, who was married to Charles D. Warren of Jerseyville; Robert and Mary E., who are deceased; Edward B., and his twin brother Charles B., of Jerseyville; Stephen Douglas, Isabel, Nettie, all of whom live at Jerseyville, and George V., who is deceased.
Edward B. Stanley attended the White district school and assisted his father during his boyhood. In 1884, he went to Blue Springs, Gabe County, Neb., and was engaged there in farming for one year with his brother, Robert Stanley and also conducted a livery stable, remaining there until in February 1887, when he returned to Jersey County. For some time he resided with his parents and brother Stephen D. and then he bought 120 acres of land on section 36, Jersey Township, in partnership with his brother. In February, 1898, he bought his brother's interest, and moved on the farm, which he has since operated, devoting considerable attention to raising stock.
On February 14, 1893, Edward B. Stanley was married to Sarah M Kirby, born in Jersey Township, November 4, 1854, a daughter of William and Experience (Perring) Kirby, natives of New Jersey and Lawrence, Vt., respectively, who were married in 1844, in Jersey County, Ill., and located on a farm. The children born to Mr. and Mrs. Kirby were as follows: Huldah A., who is deceased; Nathaniel; Elizabeth; James, who is deceased; Sarah M.; William H.; Robert H.; Mary E, and Johanna. The paternal grandparents of Mrs. Stanley, Nathaniel and Elizabeth (Gaston) Kirby were born in Pennsylvania and New Jersey, respectively. He died in New Jersey and following his demise, the grandmother came all the way in a covered wagon to Jersey County, Ill., in 1828, which was quite and undertaking. The maternal grandparents were James and Huldah (Landon) Perring, he born in England and she in Vermont, and they drove overland to Jersey County, Ill., 1837. Mr. and Mrs. Stanley have had two children, both of whom are at home, namely; Florence Lucile, who was born November 13, 1895; and Loren E., who was born May 12, 1897. Mrs. Stanley attended school held in the little red brick schoolhouse of the Clayton District. Mr. Stanley is a Presbyterian. In Politics he is a Democrat, and served for fifteen years as a school trustee.
Steinman, Robert Olean, D.D.S. - one of the reliable dental surgeons of Jerseyville, is a native of the county, having been born at Grafton, June 17, 1882, a son of Frederick Steinman, who was born in Switzerland in 8145. With his parents, Frederick Steinman, came to the United States in 1857, at which time the family located on the present site of Forest Park, St. Louis, Mo., where the grandparents of Dr. Steinman operated a dairy until their death, which occurred not very long after their arrival in their new home. Thrown upon his own resources by the death of his parents, Frederick Steinman began learning the trade of wheelwright, and later became a coffinmaker. His children born were as follows: William, who is deceased; Louise, who was born September 11, 1877, was married to Frank Sancamper, and they reside in Jersey County; Agnes who was born October 10, 1879, is Mrs. August Patterson, and resides at Godfrey, Ill., where Mr. Patterson is engaged in a creamery business; John, who is deceased; Robert O.; and Frederick, who is deceased.
Robert Olean Steinman attended the Grafton schools and the Jerseyville High School, being graduated from the latter in 1902. He then attended the College of Dentistry, Washington University, at St. Louis, Mo., from which he was graduated with the degree of D. D. S., in 1905. Immediately thereafter he began the practice of his profession at Morton, Ill., but after remaining there for about two and one-half years he came back to Grafton, where he remained until September 15, 1917, when he removed to Jerseyville, where he has already built up a very large practice. He specializes in bridge and crown work, and is recognized as an expert in these lines. As a relaxation from professional cares, Dr. Steinman is cultivating a fine forty acre orchard of apples trees of the following well know varieties: Grimes Golden, Johathan, Wine Sap, Ben Davis, Favorite, Gentleman, Rome Beauty, Black Twig, King David, Champion, Senator, Delicious, York Imperial, Ark Black, Dutchess and Maiden Blush. He has 113 trees which produced 650 pounds of fruit during 1917.
On September 16, 1911, Dr. Steinman was married to Miss Gladys M. Fuller, born near Grafton, Ill., December 1, 1889. Her parents were also natives of Jersey County. Mrs. Fuller is deceased and Mr. Fuller makes his home with Dr. and Mrs. Steinman. Two children have been born to Dr. and Mrs. Steinman; Gladys Roberta,who was born October 20, 1912; and John Olean, who was born March 22, 1917. Dr Steinman is a Republican.
St. Peters, John Benjamin - now deceased, was for many years successfully engaged in farmingin Jersey County. He was born in Elsah Township, March 17, 1854, a son of Oliver and Mary St. Peters of Canada. The parents came to Jersey County in 1852, and settled on a farm near Elsah where John Benjamin was born, reared and sent to school.
October 26, 1876, John Benjamin St. Peters was married to Sarah A. Tonkinson, born in Elsah Township, a daughter of David T. and Susan M. (Davis) Tonkinson, natives of Iowa and Greene County, Ill., respectively. After his marriage with his schoolmate, Mr. St. Peters bought a farm of ninety-five acres near his father's homestead, and on it he lived for eleven years. He bought other land, and also rented some. His death occurred July 16, 1913. In the following September, Mrs. St. Peters rented the farm to her son-in-law, and moved to Jerseyville, where she bought a very comfortable home, and has since lived.
Mr. and Mrs. St. Peters had the following children: Walter, who llives in Jersey County, Ill.; Ethel, who is Mrs. Joseph Bunting, of St. Louis, Mo.; Grace, who is Mrs. Henry Rhodes, lives on the homestead; Oliver H., who is a leading contractor of Jerseyville; Mamie, who is Mes. Thomas Jenkins of Elsah Township; Louis, who lives in Jerseyville; Ruth, who is Mrs. Nathaniel McColla of Alton, Ill.; and Cora A., who is Mrs. Arthur Greeling of Alton, Ill. In politics Mr. St. Peters was a Democrat and he served for twenty years as a school director. He belonged to the Modern Woodmen of America. The family is a very highly respected one of Jersey County, and the children have easily formed very desirable social and business acquaintances in their new homes.
Source: History of Jersey County Illinois, 1919
Edited by Oscar Hamilton
President Jersey County Historical Society, 1919
(Actual Book Pages 497 - 664)(PDF Pages 632 - 799)