Genealogy Trails - Jersey County, Illinois

Volunteers Dedicated to Free Genealogy
Real Data - Always Free & Always Updating!
Genealogy - Preserving the Past - Inspiring the Future!

Return to Home Page

Return to Biography Index

Surnames - T -

Terry, Charles H. - who owns and operates 210 acres of his old family homestead in Otter Creek Township, is one of the practical agriculturalists of Jersey County, and is supervisor of his township. He as born in Otter Creek Township, October 28, 1873, a son of Henry C. and Mary A. (Cadwalader) Terry, he born in Otter Creek Township, and she born in Fulton County, Ill. The paternal grandparents were Jasper M. and Mary (Waggoner) Terry, who were born in Kentucky, and they became early settlers in Otter Creek Township, where they entered land from the government. The maternal grandparetns, John and Mary (Branson) Cadwalader, were born in Jersey County and Ohio, respectively.

After his marriage, Henry C. Terry carried on a milling business at Otterville for two years, and then traded it for a farm in Christain County, Ill. Later, he sold that property and bought eighty acres in Otter Creek Township, which he conducted until his death, which occurred February 12, 1907. His widow survives and makes her home at Jerseyville. Their children were as follows: Ada M., who lives at Jerseyville; Charles H.; Lora F., who is Mrs. F. M. Edwards, of Jerseyville; and Jesse, who lives at Fidelity Township.

Charles H. Terry attended the grade and high schools, and one term at Brown's Business College, Jacksonville, Illl. Until he was twenty-five years old, he was associated with his father in the conduct of the homestead, then when his brother-in-law, F. M. Edwards, bought the buisness of M.V. Hamilton, general merchant. They conducted the store for three years, and then Mr.Terry sold his interest and returned home. Later he bought out the other heirs to the homestesd and now owns 210 acres of the land which were originally entered by his grandfather from the government. Mr. Terry is proud of the fact that his father served during the last eighteen months of the Civil War, as a member of Company C. One Hundred and Twenty-fourth Illinois Volunteer Infantry. Mr. and Mrs. Terry have no children of their own, but have an adopted son, J. Donald, born September 6, 1915, to whom they will give parental care and affection. Mr. Terry is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. A strong Republican, he has served as assessor of his township for three years, and as collector for the same period. In 1912, he was eleced supervisor of the township, and still holds the office. A Mason in good standing, he belongs to Grafton Lodge, No. 341, A. F. & A. M.; Jerseyville Chapter, and he is member of the Modern Woodmen of America, Delhi Camp.

Threlkeld, Hayden F., M. D. - one of the successful young physicians of Jerseyville, is an example of the best class of medical men of Jersey County. He was born at Salem, Ky., November 24, 1882, a son of Dr. John D. and Ella (La Rue) Threlkeld. Dr. John D. Threlkeld was a practicing physician at Salem, Ky., for thirty-five years, but now has retired and lives at Marion, Ky.

Hayden F. Threlkeld attended the grammer schools of Salem, and the high school of Marion, Ky., and was graduated for the latter instituton in 1901. He then entered the Norman School at Bowling Green, Ky., but left within two months of his graduation to enter the medical department of the Louisville (Ky) University, from which he was graduated. For the subsequent three years he was in partnership with his father, and for one year he practiced at Daniel Boone, Ky. Dr. Threlkeld then spent fifteen months in the Chicago hospitals, for the experiece and research, following which he went to Arkansas for two years. He then returned to Chicago and did post-graduate work for eight months in the College of Physicians and Surgeons. On February 22, 1915, he came to Jerseyville, where he has since remained.

Dr. Threlkeld married Miss Mabel Banters, of Peoria, Ill. He belongs to the Masonic order and the Elks. The Christian Church holds his membership. In politics he is a Democrat. A close student and skilled physician and surgeon, Dr. Threlkeld stands deservedly high in his profession, and is numbered among the best citizens of the county.

Trotter, David Quinn - now living retired at Jerseyville, was at one time a heavy landowner and successful agriculturalist, and is a man of high principles and right living. He was born at Middletown, Butler County, Ohio, September 14, 1842, a son of John Woolsey and Sarah (Crane) Trotter, natives of Somerset County, N. J., and Butler County, Ohio, respectively. The paternal grandfather was William R. Trotter, of New Jersey, where his wife, Martha (Simpson) Trotter, was also born. During the War of 1812, they migrated to Butler County, Ohio, and in 1831 went further west to Cass County, Mich. In 1856 they came to Jersey County, Ill. The maternal grandparents, Richard V. V. and Mary (Stuart) Crane, were also of New Jersey, being of Holland descent. In 1856, they located in Jersey County.

John W. Trotter and Sarah Crane were married in Michigan, retruning some time later to Butler County, Ohio, but in 1844, went back to Michigan. From there they came to Jersey County in 1856, and the father David Q. Trotter bought 360 acres of land on section 26, Fidelity Township, which was partly improved, but he further developed it. He died, July 3, 1900, aged eighty-eight years. The mother died on March 31, 1895, aged seventy-seven years. Their children were as follows: Squire B., who died April 21, 1900; David Q.; and Mary J., who is Mrs. Charles Brown of Barton County, Mo.

David Quinn Trotter attended the schools of his district and learned farming on the family homestead, residing at hom until his marriage which occurred October 27, 1868, when he was united with Caroline Simmons, born in Fidelity Township, a daughter of Samuel C. and Martha (Miles) Simmons, he born in Maryland, and she in Kentucy, who in 1830, came to Fidelity Township. After his marriage, Mr. Trotter took charge of the home farm, which he conducted until 1903, and then retired, renting his land. In 1910 he sold 200 acres of farm land and turned the balance over to his sons. Subsequently he bought 240 acres of land in Otter Creek Township, which he rents. Mr. and Mrs. Trotter became the parents of the following children: Charles W., who lives in Fidelity Township; Martha, who is a trained nurse; Mary B., who is Mrs. Otis Adams, of Jerseyville; and Thomas Quinn, who lives in Fideltiy Township. Mrs. Trotter died January 23, 1905. On August 20. 1907, Mr. Trotter was married second to Lucy Miles, born at Upper Alton, Ill., July 10, 1855, a daughter of Jacob and Martha (Rice) Miles, he born in North Carolina and she in Kentucky. When he was seventeen years old, Mr. Trotter joined the Methodist Episcopal Church, and has been a member of the Illinois State Grange and is now serving his twenty-second year as treasurer, and has attended forty consecutive sessions of the Grange. For twenty years he was township treasurer of Fidelity Township, and he has served as a school director for many years. The Prohibition party has long had his enthusiastic support. A Mason, he belongs to Fidelity Lodge, No. 152, A. F. & A. M., and he has served it for six terms as master.

Source: History of Jersey County Illinois, 1919
Edited by Oscar Hamilton
President Jersey County Historical Society, 1919
(Actual Book Pages 497 - 664)(PDF Pages 632 - 799)