Return to Home Page
Return to Biography Index
Vallentine, John P. - owner of one of the most beautiful farming properties of Jersey County, owns and operates 169 ½ acres of land in Jersey and English Townships. He was born at Rockbridge, Greene County, Ill., August 1, 1870, a son of Edward Simon and Malinda (Witt) Vallentine, of Greene County, Ill. The pateral grandparents, James and Martha (Brown) Vallentine, were natives of Kentucky and Tennessee, respectively; while the maternal grandparents were William and Rebecca (Perry) Witt. All became very early settlers of Greene County, Ill. After their marriage, Edward Simon Vallentine and his wife resided on a farm in Greene County, until 1874, when they sold their property and moved to Christian County, Ill., and buying a farm lived on it for eight years. Once more they sold, and moved to Pana, Ill., where he went into a foundry business, and there he died in 1883. The widow and two children moved to Kane, Ill., where she still resides. In 1885, she was married (second) to Freeman J. Mains, who died in 1908. By her first marriage she had two children, namely: James W. Roy, of Kane, Ill.; and John P.
For two years, John P. Vallentine attended the public schools of Pana, and when he was thirteen years old he began working in the flour mill at Kane, Ill., for $4 per week. After sixteed weeks, he left the mill to work in a grocery, where he received $15 per month. After his mother's second marriage he moved on the farm of his step-father and remained at home until his own marriage, which took place Augusst 3, 1892, when he was united with Maude L. Dowdall, born near Rockbridge, Greene County, Ill., a daughter of James and Mary (Stevens) Dowdall, natives of Indiana and Greene County. Following his marriage, Mr. Vallentine lived on the farm of J. R. M. Wylder until May, 1893, working by the month, and then he moved to Kane, Ill., where he clerked in Felter's grocery until September, 1893, and then spent a year in the rural regions. Once more he returned to Kane, and farmed a 10 acre tract for seven years and also worked in various ways. He then bought a residence in Kane and lived in it for nine years, although he was engaged in famring during all that period. In the spring of 1910, he bought his present farm, on which he erected a modern residence and barns, and has so improved his property that it is now one of the show places of the county. Here he carries on general farming. Mr. and Mrs. Vallentine became the parents of the following children: Roy E., who lives in Thomas County, Neb., was married to Beulah Spencer, and they have two children, Spencer and Courtney; Rupert J., who lives at Kirksville, Mo., was married to Versa Smith of Missouri; Ernest J., who died at the age of nine years; and Christy E., who is at home. Mr. Vallentine is a Baptist. In pollitics, he is a Democrat, while fraternally he belongs to the Modern Woodmen of America.
Vanausdall, Allen McCrary - one of the substantial business men, engaged in the grocery trade at Jerseyville, is recognized as a representative citizen of this county. He was born in Monroe County, Ill., August 4, 1839, a son of John and Mary (Peagen) Vanausdall, natives of Pennsylvania and Marietta, Ohio, respectively, and of Irish descent. They were married in Ohio, from whence they moved to Indiana, and later to Monroe County, Ill. By trade, John Vanausdall was a cooper, but when he located near Otterville, in Jersey County, he became interested in farming, having sold his property in Monroe County.
Allen McCrary Vanausdall attended the common schools until he was twelve years old, at which time he began earning his own living, first by piling brush for wood choppers, and later as farm helper. Still later he worked for his father, assisting him in clearing eighty acres of timber which work was completed in 1858. He was then engaged in coopering for a time when he went to Grafton, and was there interested in a flour mill for two years. For several years thereafter, he was engaged in running an engine in a stone quarry, and one in a sawmill, and he also operated a threshing machine. When he was thirty years old he began doing carpenter work at Grafton, and continued there for three years. Mr. Vanausdall then located in Otterville and followed his trade for thirty years, working all over the county, and while living there rented a house, but later bought a residence at Dow. A year later he sold that and in April 1908, moved to Jerseyville, and commenced working at his trade in this city. He bought property on the east side, and established himself in a grocery business as he decided to engage in something which would not take him away from home, his wife being in ill health at that time. From time to time he has invested in city property, and owns some very desirable residences and the building in which his business is located.
On May 6, 1860, Mr. Vanausdall was married to Agnes Ann Hillman, born in Iowa, January 28, 1844, died July 28, 1915. She was a daughter of James and Anna Hillman. Mr. and Mrs. Vanausdall became the parents of the following children: Rachel R., who is Mrs. V. A. Dodson, of Jerseyville, has two children; Ethel, who married Clyde Sutherland, and Iola, who is married to Charles Dillings and has three children, Nordica, Charles and Robert; James, John, Sarah, and Mamie, all of whom are deceased; Millie W. and Lillie W., twins, of whom the latter is deceased, and the former is Mrs. Richards Edsall, of Detroit, Mich., and has three children, Frelove, Allen, and Clyde; Egbert, who lives at Alton, Ill., married Maggie Lessner; and Martha, Frederick and Edward, all of whom are deceased. In politics, Mr. Vanausdall is a Democrate, and he served one term as constable of Otterville. In 1872, while living at Otterville, he joined the Odd Fellows, and still maintains his connection with that lodge.
Van Dike, Charles Henry - one of the substantial men of Jerseyville, who is highly respected wherever known, was born at Rocky Hill, N. J., December 12, 1935, a son of Reoloff H. and Maria (Comfort) Van Dike, natives of New Jersey. The maternal grandparents were Rev. David and Sarah (Trimble) Comfort, the latter being a daughter of Alexander Trimble, who was born in Ireland in 1726, and came to the American Colonies in 1749. The paternal grandparents were Reoloff and Charity (Bergen) van Dike, the former of whom was a son of Reoloff Van Dike, born in 1767, and died in 1805. Reoloff H. Van Dike, was a physician who, in 1836, at the solicitation of Dr. Edward A. D'Arcy, came to Jerseyville, and being satisfied with the outlook, returned to New Jersey for his family, driving back with them overland and arriving the second time in Jerseyville, June 30, 1837. On July 14, 1837, a little daughter was added to the family, and she was named Sarah Eliza. She was born on the present site of Jerseyville, being the first white chlld born in the neighborhood. She is now deceased. Dr. Van Dike continued to practice until his death, which occurred September 6. 1845. He and his wife had the following children: Charles Henry; Sarah Eliza, who became Mrs. Marshall S. Parker; Edward Livingston, who died in 1907; and Margaret Jane, who died in 1913, was the first wife of Isaac V. Brown, and after his death she was married (second) to LeRoy H. Anderson, who is also deceased; and two children died in infancy.
Charles Henry Van Dike lived in Jerseyville until he was ten years old, when he was taken to Alton, Ill., by Dr. D'Arcy. They went by wagon to Alton, thence down the Mississippi River to the Ohio River, and thence to Pittsburgh, Pa. From that city the travelers went by canal and railroad to Johnstown, Pa., where they took a trip over the mountains on a railroad operated by a stationary engine, and after a stop at Philadelphia, Pa., went on to Kingston, N. J., where the lad was left with his maternal grandfather, David Comfort. There he attended a preparatory school, and later Princeton University. In August, 1848, he was joined by his mother and the other children, and after a visit with relatives they returned by was to Chicago and Alton to Jerseyville, where the family conducted a hotel known as the Jersey House. Mr. Van Dike assisted in this until 1860, when he bought a livery stable and conducted it a year. He then moved to Christian County, Ill., where he was engaged in farming until 1882, with the exception of two and one-half years when he was engaged in conducting a 5,000 acre farm thirty miles from San Antonio, Tex., and in raising cattle and horses. In 1882, Mr. Van Dike went to St. Louis, Mo., where he was in a coal and ice business until 1915, at which time he sold his interests and returned to Jersey County and retired and has since made Jerseyville his home.
On February 15, 1857, Mr. Van Dike was married to Martha E., Smith, who was born in southern Illinois, May 26, 1837, a daughter of John F. and Sarah (Mcguire) Smith, the former of whom was born April 17, 1811, in South Carolina and died February 25, 1877; and the latter was born October 12, 1814, in Tennessee, and died May 20, 1890. They were married December 15, 1833. Mr. and Mrs. Van Dike became the parents of the following children: Frank, who lives at St. Louis, Mo.; Maria Louise, who lives at Salt Lake City, Utah; Hattie, who died in St. Louis July 29, 1918; Walter Knox, who lives with his father; Gussie, who is deceased; and Margaret, who lives at St. Louis. Mrs. Van Dike died November 22, 1913. Mr. Van Dike is a member of the Presbyterian Church. In politics he is a Democrat, and served for five years as supervisor while living in Christian County. His fraternally connection is with the Odd Fellows. While living at St. Louis he was a member of the choir of the Central Presbyterian Church, and has a handsome gold-headed cane which was presented to him by the Sunday school of that church for twenty-six continuous years service as chorister.
Van Horne, Augustus Knapp, M. D. - now retired at Jerseyville, was for many years one of the eminent physicians of Jersey County, and is remembered with gratitude and affection by the older generation. He was born at Glenham, N. Y., April 2, 1831, a son of Elijah and Polly (Wychoff) Van Horne, natives of New York state. At an early day the family migrated by the way of the Erie Canal to Cleveland, Ohio,and thence over the Ohio and Mississippi Rivers to St. Louis, Mo. There they took a boat to Alton, Ill., from whence they journeyed by team to the home of the Skerritt family. Remaining over night, they resumed their trip as far as the site of the John William's residence, and remained there a month, while Elijah Van Horne built a log house, one and one-half stories in height. When it was completed it was regarded as one of the best residences in that community. He later put siding boards on the house and added other improvements. His original entry from the grovernment was 360 acres of prairie land and eighty acres of timber land about six miles south of Jerseyville. He improved the prairie land and later engaged in the manufacture of brick and built a residence from his own product, and this house is still standing. In it he died March 23, 1868, having been born February 19, 1786. His wife was born November 3, 1792, and died June 14, 1871.
Augustus Knapp Van Horne spent his boyhood on the farm, and attended the local schools, until he was twenty years old. During that period he did much hard work, including the breaking of prairie land. Coming to Jerseyville, he read medicine with Dr. Charles Knapp, and his father, Dr. Augustus Knapp, for eighteen months, and later attended the Missouri Medical School, where he was under Dr. Joseph McDowell, during the winter of 1853-4. He then went to Greene County, Ill., and practiced medicine, continuing his studies as well, for eighteen months, and then entered Jefferson Medical College, Philadelphia, Pa., from which he was graduated in 1856. Following that Dr. Van Horne came to Jerseyville, and embarked in a practice that was gradually extended until it covered a wide territory. For five years he was almost totally blind, but fortunately recovered his eyesight through an operation. Since 1902, however he has lived practically retired.
In 1859, Dr. Van Horne was married to Elizabeth Bacon, and their children were as follows: Ellen, who is the widow of Charles Casey, of Wilmette, Ill.; Walter, who died at the age of two and one-half years; Hugh, who lives at Pawnee City, Neb.; Mary V., who is Mrs. Leonard Cutting, of Jerseyville; Lucy, who is Mrs. Perry Schrock, of Santa Anna, Cal.; and Elizabeth, who is Mrs. W. K. Graham, East Auburn, Cal. Mrs. Van Horne, died October 18, 1881. On December 23, 1881, Dr. Van Horne was married (second) to Sarah M. Steele, born at Cincinnati, Ohio, Juen 27, 1845, a daughter of Rea R. and Matilda (Gould) Steele, natives of New York state and New York City, restpctively. They were married at Cincinnati, Ohio, where he was engaged in a contracting and building business. In the early fifties the Steele family came to Illinois, and after a time spent at Quincy, moved to Jerseyville, and still later to Upper Alton, Ill. Dr. and Mrs. Van Horne have one daughter, Stella A. who is at home. Mrs. Van Horne attended the schools of Cincinnati, Ohio. Mrs. Van Horne is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and while not a member of any religious organizations, Dr. Van Horne has assisted in building every church at Jerseyville. In politics he is a Democrat, while fraternally he belongs to the Chapter and Commandery of the Masonic Order, and is an Odd Fellow and has held all of the offices in the latter organization. He is a charter member of the Jersey County Medical Society, which he served as president for many years; and also belongs to the American Medical Association. Dr. Van Horne and his family live on the income derived from land he bought while engaged in the practice of his profession.
Van Horne, George H. - one of the substantial residents of Jerseyville, has been connected with important business interests of the county, and is now interested in agricultural matters. He was born in MIssissippi Township, Jersey County, Ill., November 20, 1848, a son of James E. and Nancy (Wilson) Van Horne, natives of New York State. They were married April 4, 1837. the grandparents were Elijah and Polly (Wychoff) Van Horne, natives of New York state, who came to Jersey County at an early day, entering land in Mississippi Township in 1833. James E. Van Horne returned to New York state in the middle of December 1836, and on the way spent Christmas and New Year Day at New Orleans, La. On January 8, 1837, he took a sailing vessel for New York City, and the ship was stranded on a sand bar for ten days, and after it was released it took sixteen days to complete the journey. After being married, James E. Van Horne brought his bride back to Jersey County, and in 1839, he bought eighty acres from his father in Mississippi Township, and on it he built a house. On August 15, 1853, he added eighty acres more, and after his father's death he heired form the estate 193 acres, and engaged in farming until 1864, when he returned home to take care of his mother. She was born in 1813 and died Autust 30, 1898. He died September 25, 1875. He was a schoolteacher and was a school director for many years.
Until 1886, George H. Van Horne remained on the family homestead, and attended the local schools. In that year he came to Jerseyville and was a post office clerk for a year, and then went to Blue Springs, Gage County, Neb., where he was employed in the bank of J. C. Williams as cashier, from February 15, 1887, until May 1, 1890, when he went to Tecumseh, Neb., and helped to build an elevator. In the fall of 1890, he returned to Jerseyville, and bought an interest in the English-Eaton Hardware Company, which he retained until 1892, when he moved to his farm, and conducted it until the fall of 1898, In that year he came back to Jerseyville, and later on engaged with his son in conducting the Van Horne homestead, although he still resides at Jerseyville.
On October 6, 1875, Mr. Van Horne was married (first) to Mary A. Jones born at Batavia, N. Y., a daughter of Alvah and Amelia Jones, and they had one daughter, Fannie A., who died in infancy. Mrs. Van Horne died in January, 1877. On November 15, 1880, Mr. Van Horne was married (second) to Mary Isabella Cummings, born in Jersey County, Ill., a daughter of Christopher C. and Phebe (Hamilton) Cummings, natives of Jersey County and New Jersey. Her granparents were Thomas and Mary Ann (Carroll) Cummings, natives of Monroe County, Ill., and Bergen County, N. J. Mr. Cummings came to Jersey County in 1818, and was one of the three commissioners who had Jersey County set off from Greene County, and later was made one of the first County Commissioners of the newly formed county of Jersey. The second Mrs. Van Horne died in November 1885, having borne her husband two children: Sarah Ann, who died in infancy; and Columbus C., who lives at Fr. Worth, Tex. On April 18, 1894, Mr. Van Horne was married (third) to Sarah Charlotte Cummings, born in Mississipppi Towship, a sister to the second Mrs. Van Horne. By his third marriage, Mr. Van Horne has had two children, namely; George H., who is conducting the home farm; and Phebe, who is at home. In addition to attending the Black Jack district school, Mr. Van Horne went to the Eastman's National Business College, in Chicago, from which he was graduated March 18, 1867. Mrs. Van Horne attended the district schools of her native township. Mr. Van Horne is a Presbyterian and has served as an elder since 1903. A Democrat, he served as a school director for many years, was town clerk for four years, and supervisor for one term, of Mississippi Township, and served six years on the Jerseyville school board. Fraternally, he belongs to the Odd Fellows and Rebekahs. Mrs. Van Horne's grandfather served in the Black Hawk War. In 1846, he was elected to the Illinois State Assembly, and he was a prominent man in many ways. An amusing incident is the following: Prior to his removal to Illinois, Mr. Van Horne's grandfather was given a piece of leather, in lieu of money, and this he took to Buffalo and received cash for it, but some years later, after his settlement in Illinois, the mails were so slow and insecure for business transactions, that having some further business dealings with the man who gave him the leather, he took the precaution of sending one half of a ten dollar bill in a letter, and then he received word that it had reached its destination, he mailed the other half.
Van Pelt, Winfield Scott - who has served continuously since 1909 as a Justice of the Peace in Jersey Township, Jersey County, is one of the best known and most highly respected citizens of this section. He belongs to the old families of Holland and England, very early settlers in New Jersey and among the pioneers of 1830 in Jersey County, Ill. He was born in this county, May 2, 1848, and his parents were Ralph Hagaman and Penelope (Stout) Van Pelt, both natives of Jew Jersey.
There is an exceedingly interesting, although harrowing story, that appears in the records of the Van Pelt family concerning a maternal grandmother, whose maiden name was Penelope Van Princess. She was born in Holland and evidently was a young girl when she accompanied a party of Dutch colonists who took passage on a sailing vessel for America. The vessal was wrecked during a violent storm when near the New Jersey coast. The majority of the voyagers managed to get to shore by means of the ship's boats and the captain set off with a number of them for the New Amsterdam, apparently the original proposed destination. The others landed in a grove of heavy timber, the girl Penelope among them, and there they were attacked by a band of savage Indians, show scalped them and left them for dead. In addition to her other injuries, Penelope suffered from such sever wounds in her abdomen as to cause her bowels to protrude. Nevertheless, she finally revived and with her apron bound up her terrible wounds and managed to crawl into a hollow log. After suffering agony for several house she saw a deer speed by with an arrow in its side and thus she knew that the Indians were near by. In the hope that they would mercifully complete their savage work and thus relieve her sufferings, she crawled out in the path and soon two Indians found her. The young brave started again to use his tomahawk, but the old Indian intervened and together they made a litter of saplings, on which they carried the almost unconscious girl to their camp. There she was nursed back to health by the Indian women and it would be pleasant to think it was because of human sympathy even in the savage beast. However, it probably was for business reasons for as soon as she was well again the old Indian took her to New Amsterdam and there bargained for her with her friends, finally selling her for 125 pounds of tobacco. Later she was happily married to Richard Stout, who was born in England and came to early New Jersey, and subsequently she became the mother of seven children, one of whom was the founder of Hopewell, N. J.
The parents of Judge Van Pelt were married in New Jersey. Early in 1830 they drove the long distance across the country to Illinois, settling in Jersey County, which was then a wilderness. The father was a farmer all is subsequent life and died in 1857. He was twice married and was the father of nineteen children.
Winfield Scott Van Pelt was reared on his father's pioneer farm and knows something about early times in the county. When opportunity offered, he attended the district school near home, but in his boyhood there were no such advantages as are afforded the youth of the present day. After marriage he followed farming for some years and then moved to Jerseyville and was employed in a pork packing house until 1887. He had always been apt with tools and then learned the carpenter trade and in the course of time became a first class builder, branching out into contracting. For a number of years prior to 1909, when he retired, his method of business was to purchase desirable city lots and build attractive residences on them, easily disposing of the same.
Judge Van Pelt was married, November 16, 1869, to Miss Sarah J. Morris, who died in the fall of 1875. She was a native of Preble County, Ohio. One son survives her, Charles E., who is a resident of Chicago, Ill. Judge Van Pelt was married again on July 6, 1876 to Miss Alice Burch, who was born at Jerseyville a daughter of David and Mary (Fields) Burch, of Kentucky, and they have three daughters: Sarah Virginia, who is the wife of George Wood, of Jerseyville; Penelope Alice, who perpetuates the name of her noted acrestress, is the wife of Thomas Krause, who is county clerk of Jersey County; and Abbie Lenore, who is the wife of Leonard Grassbrenner. In politics Judge Van Pelt is a Democrat. He attends the Methodist Episcopal Church, and he is identified fraternally with the Modern Woodmen of America.
Vinson, John W. - who was one of the substantial retired business men of Jerseyville, for some years, was well and favorably known throughout a wide section. He was born in Jersey County, Ill., April 22,1839, and died at Jerseyville, January 11, 1918, and was buried in Oak Grove Cemetery, Jerseyville. He was a son of John L. and Catherine (Spangle) Vinson, natives of Scioto County, Ohio, where he was born April 18, 1810, and she March 29, 1814. They were married in Ohio, September 11, 1832. In 1838, they came on boats by way of the Ohio River to Cairo, Ill., and from thence up the Mississippi River to Alton, Ill. There they took teams for the overland trip to Jersey County, and settled on a farm they bought four miles south of Jerseyville, which he operated, although by trade he was a plow and wagon maker.
The boyhood of John W. Vinson was spent on his father's farm. His mother died in 1854. He began teaching school, when only sixteen years old, and for the subsequent nine winters he was thus engaged, in the meanwhile studying to improve himself fo rhis educational opportunities had been meager. During his vacations he attended Shurtleff College, at Upper Alton, Ill. he became a firm friend of the public school organization and later for fourteen years served continuously on the school board in Jerseyville, and served as its secretary for six years. In 1865 he became manager of the Jerseyville Milling Company, and held that responsible position for twelve years, and at the same time was local agent for several insurance companies, so continuing until 1884, when he became an adjuster for the Lancashire Insurance Company of England. In 1892, this concern withdrew, and Mr. Vinson went with the Traders Insurance Company of Chicago, his field being Missouri and Southern Illinois. In 1906, he was made an independent adjuster, and traveled in Illinois, Missouri, Kansas, Nebraska, Iowa, North and South Dakota, Arkansas and other states, but in 1907, he retired and since then made Jerseyville his home.
On September 12, 1861, Mr. Vinson was married to Mary L. Starkweather, born in Jersey County, Ill., May 9, 1841, a daughter of Asa and Louisa (Herey) Starkweather, natives of Vermont. Mr. and Mrs. Vinson became the parents of the following children: Lula, who is Mrs. James R. Frasier, of California; Anna, who is deceased; Maude, who is Mrs. William Alderson, of Los Angeles, Cal.; Mattie, who died in infancy; Leona, who is Mrs. G. D. Pogue of St. Louis, Mo.; and Ruth, who is Mrs. B. F. Slaton, of Ashland, Ky. Mr. Vinson was Presbyterian, and served as an elder of his church for many years. For thirteen consecutive years he was superintendent of the Sunday school, and had charge of the choir for twenty years. A Republican, he served as a member of the city council, and in numerous ways rendered very valuable service to his community. A Mason in good standing, he belongs to Jerseyville Lodge, No. 394, A. F. & A. M., having been raised in 1865. Mr. Vinson was one of the organizers, and the secretary of the Jersey County Historical Society, from its organization until January 4, 1918, when he voluntarily resigned.
Voorhees, George R. - one of the substantial farmers of Jersey Township, owns and operates a farm in the eastern part of Jerseyville. He was born in Mississippi Township, July 1, 1848, a son of Peter P. and Maria (Kirby) Voorhees, he born in New Jersey in 1816. They crossed the country with teams in 1839, to Jersey County, Ill., and located in what is now Mississippi Township, where at one time Peter P. Voorhees owned 500 acres of land, the greater part of which was in timber. During his lifetime he cleared off the greater part of his farm, retiring to Jerseyville about 1865, after which he served as a justice of the peace. His death occurred June 15, 1872. His wife died in March 1883. The maternal grandparents, Nathaniel and Elizabeth (Gaston) Kirby, died many years ago, he before the family came to Jersey County in 1839, she surviving him and dying in Jersey County. Peter P. Voorhees and his wife had the following chldren: Charles, who died in 1917, aged seventy-eight years; John B, who is deceased; Abbie, who was Mrs. Guy A. Snell of Litchfield, Ill., is deceased; Elizabeth, who was Mrs. T. F. Remer, died November 12, 1912, having been born in 1846; George R.; and Margaret, who was Mrs. Dr. McAdams, died July 7, 1907.
George R. Voorhees attended the public schools of his native township. On October 17, 1871, he was married to Jennie Clapp, born in Washington County, N. Y., November 9, 1849, a daughter of Leonidas and Jane (Chamberlin) Clapp, who came to Mississippi Township in 1861, and there carried on farming. After his marriage, George R. Voorhees lived on a farm in Jersey Township two and one-half miles east of Jerseyville, for six years, but later he sold his farm and bought 260 acres of land which belonged to the old homestead in Mississippi Township. On this farm the original family residence is still standing. It was buillt of as fine, large timbers as could then be obtained, and it is very different from many of the shell-like structures of the present day. After thirteen years Mr. Voorhees sold this farm and bought forty acres of land in the eastern part of Jerseyville, where he is now carrying on general farming.
Mr. and Mrs. Voorhees became the parents of the following children: Perry L., who lives at St. Louis, Mo.; Otis C., who lives at Jerseyville; Gertrude M., who is Mrs. Irvin Crowell of St. Louis, Mo.; George R., who lives in Palisades, Colo.,; Elizabeth, who is Mrs. Harold Brainard of Grafton, Ill.; and Abbie L., and Stattira, who are at home. The Voorhees family are Presbyterians. In politics, he is a Democrat, and fraternally he belongs to Jerseyville Camp No., 442, M. W. A. A man of more than ordinary ability, he had made his life work amount to something worth while, and he stands well as a citizen.
Source: History of Jersey County Illinois, 1919
Edited by Oscar Hamilton
President Jersey County Historical Society, 1919
(Actual Book Pages 497 - 664)(PDF Pages 632 - 799)