Return to Home Page
Return to Biography Index
Wallace, Clarence - city marshall of Grafton, Ill., and a man of great determination of character and personal integrity, was born at Grafton, March 23, 1873, a son of Elijah Wallace. Elijah Wallace, who was born in Jersey County, was married to Kate Hills, born in Illinois, and they had the following children: Orie, who lives in Texas; Clarence, Alva and Henry, all of whom live at Grafton; Daisy, who is Mrs. John Myers, lives at St. Louis, Mo.; and two who died in infancy. Elijah Wallace is a Republican.
Clarence Wallace attended the Grafton village schools until he was sixteen years old, and then began doing general laboring jobs. Lager he became a fisherman, conintuing in that line of business until he was appointed marshall under Mayor Newland, and in that office he has given Grafton a very effective administration ever since, and was elected constable in 1918.
On June 24, 1904, Clarence Wallace was married to Ethel Green, who was born at Grafton, July 16, 1887. Mr. and Mrs. Wallace have the following children; Opal, who was born March 22, 1905; Eugene, who was born September 9, 1907; Robert, who was born September 23, 1909; Lynn, who was born October 9, 1911; Grace, who was born February 26, 1914; and Clara, who was born March 7, 1915. In politics, Clarence Wallace is a Republican, and he has been active in the councils of his party. A conscientious man, he endeabors to enforce the laws impartially and yet effectively, and keeps Grafton and its vicinity remarkalby free from undesirables. Fraternally, Mr. Wallace belongs to the Modern Woodmen of America, and Mrs. Wallace is a member of the Royal Neighbors.
Ware, George W. - one of Jerseyville's best known citizens, and a resident of Jersey County since 1856, was born at Westminster, Worcester County, Mass., June 20, 1836. His parents were Wonder and Abigail Parker (Hazen) Ware. Prof. Tracy Elliot Hazen, identified with Barnard College, Columbia University, one of the Hazen family, in tracing back the history and genealogy of that family, shows that it reaches far back in English history. Wonder Ware was a man of much prominence in Worcester County, Mass., and for years held offices of public trust. He died there in 1838.
George W. Ware was reared by his widowed mother and remained with her until he was twenty years of age, obtaining his education in the public schools and a training school of Leicester, Mass. In 1856, he came to Jersey County, Ill., and began business life as a clerk in a general mercantile store owned by A. B. Morean and remained at Jerseyville until the fall of the year, when he returned to Massachusetts in order to secure some funds he had on deposit with his guardian. With his money, he returned to Jerseyville, and in partnership with Dr. John L. White, bought the Morean drug store, which was one of the oldest business houses of the place, having been established in 1846. Two years later, Mr. Ware bought Dr. White's interest, continuing the business alone until 1876, when he sold to G. R. Smith, and with Stephen H. Bowman, bought the private banking business of Shephard & Sons, the new banking firm of Bowman & Ware continuing in operation until 1890. At that time the bank was organized as a state institution, and Mr. Ware sold his interest, and returned to the drug trade, conducting a prosperous business for several years, associating his son Frank Munson Ware, with him. He then retired, turning his half interest over to his son, who continues the business. Although no longer in active business life, Mr. Ware has many interests to look after as he is a large owner of real estate and has other investments. He owns one of the finest residences at Jerseyville.
On May, 30, 1859, George W. Ware was married to Miss Theodosia M. Beardslee, who was born in Sussex County, N. J., October 19, 1838, and died September 24, 1875. She was a daughter of Edward and Susan Beardslee, natives of New Jersey, who came to Jersey County, Ill., in 1858. Mr. and Mrs. Ware had two daughters and one son, namely: Adella P., who is the wife of Charles W. Keith, of Denver, Col.; and Lulu H., who is the wife of Edward Cross of Jerseyville; and Frank Munson, who was married to Nellie Osborne. Mr. Ware's second marriage was solemnized Octover 3, 1877, to Miss Julia Fry, a daughter of Jacob Fry, a well known military man, and active in the early history of Illinois. He served in the War of 1812, the Black Hawk War, and the Civil War. Mrs. Ware died August 6, 1905, leaving one daughter, Emily Fry, who was born June 20, 1880, and is now the wife of Dr. Mathew W. Pickard, of Kansas City, Mo.
In politics, Mr. Ware has always been a Republican and in earlier days was very active in party councils, frequently serving as a delegate to county and state conventions, and in 1876, he was a delegate to the national convention of his party at Cincinnati, Ohio. He is a member of the Presbyterian Church, iin which he has held numerous offices, and he has been superintendent of the Sunday school. He is one of the valued members of the Jerseyville Order of Elks.
Warner, F. G., M. D. - one of the substantial and representative physicians and surgeons of Grafton, was born at Buffalo, N. Y., March 4, 1876, a son of Charles M. and Elizabeth (Gaines) Warner. Charles M. Warner was born at Little Valley, N. Y., February 6, 1850, and his wife was born in Orangeport, N. J., of English parentage. The Warner family attained military fame during the American Revolution. The paternal grandfather who was a cabinetmaker, came from Vermont to Buffalo, N. Y., at an early day. For fifteen years, Charles M. Warner was special agent of the L. & N. Railroad, and also for five years was special agent for the T. R. R. Association, with headquarters at St. Louis, Mo. Later in life he went back to Little Valley, N. Y., where he died, and there his wife also passed away, in 1916, dying of hepatic abscess. Politically Charles M. Warner was a Democrat and for many years he was a member of the Masonic Order.
When he was nine years old, Dr. F. G. Warner was taken by his parents to Louisville, Ky., where he attended the public schols until he was eighteen years old. The family then moved to St. Louis, Mo., and in 1901, he matriculated at the University of St. Louis, and was graduated from its medical department in 1906, with a degree of M. D. Immediately thereafter, he came to Grafton, where he has since continued in active practice.
Dr. Warner was married September 9, 1896, to Cora K. Miller who was born in Kentucky. Both her parents, natives of Kentucky, were of Scotch parentage, and they are now deceased. Mrs. Warner was one in a family of ten children, three deceasesd, those living being: S. M., who lives in Kentucky; Mattie J. who lives at St. Louis, Mo.; Frank W., who lives in Oklahoma; Susan E., who lives at Peroia, Ill.; Irwin S., who lives at Pittsburgh, Pa.; Charles H., who lives at Louisville, Ky.; and Mrs. Warner. Dr. and Mrs. Warner have the following children: Edwin M., who was born August 7, 1898; Robert G., who was born September 6, 1899; H. Lee, who was born February 8, 1903; and Charles M., who was born November 9, 1910. The elder sons are attending the St. Louis University at St. Louis, Mo. In politics, Dr. Warner is a Democrat, and is serving as deputy coroner. Fraternally, he is a Mason and Odd Fellow, and Mrs. Warner belongs to the Eastern Star, and she is a consistent member of the Baptist Church and interested in all religious work. Both Dr. Warner and his wife are very popular socially, and their pleasant home is the scene of many delightful gatherings, while they are welcomed everywhere.
Warren, Charles E. - superintendent of highways at Jerseyville, owner of some very valuable Jersey County farm land and a citizen of more than ordinary importance, has had a wide and varied experience along several lines. He was born at Jerseyville, January 24, 1881, a son of Charles D. W. and Caroline (Stanley) Warren, the former of whom, born in Jersey County, in April 1848, died June 11, 1898, and the latter, also born in Jersey County, January 7, 1848, survives and makes here home in Jerseyville. The paternal grandfather came to Jersey County form Providence, R. I., in 1837. Charles D. W. Warren and his wife had the following children: Charles E., and Florence, who resides with her mother. The father was a Republican, and the Presbyterian Church held his membership.
Charles E. Warren attended the local schools and was graduated from the Jerseyville High School when eighteen years old. He then entered the State University, and was graduated from its engineering department in 1904, and for three years was in the employ of the 'Frisco Railroad as resident engineer on construction. Following that he was engaged in the construction of the New Orleans and Great Northern Railroad through Louisana and Mississippi, completing his connection with it in 1910. Mr. Warren was then engaged by Baxter L. Brown of St. Louis, Mo., in locating hundreds of miles of railroad through the states of Kansas, Nebraska, Tennessee and Alabama, his services in this connection being very valuable. In spite of the fact that he attained more than ordinary success in his profession, Mr. Warren decided to return to the soil, and now farms 120 acres of land northeast of Jerseyville which he is operating with profit. His interest in local improvements led to his appoiintment as superintendent of highways, in Decemver 1913, and he still holds the office. In politics he is a Republican and is secretary of the County Republican Central Committee, and he has served on the school board. For two years he was president of the Farmers Institute. He is a member of the Presbyterian Church.
In 1913, Mr. Warren was married to Elizabeth Cockrell, who was born in Jersey County, Ill., December 24, 1880, a daughter of Elias Cockrell. In early days Mr. Cockrell was engaged in freighting with teams from Utah to Colorado and on to California. His experiences were many and exciting, and among them was the loss of a wagon containing a large amount of gold dust which was carried away by the current stream he was fording. After some years of this kind of work, he returned to Jerseyville and engaged in a grain business which he still carries on.
Mr. Warren's professional trainiing and experiences admiralby fit him for almost any line of endeavor, while his natural ability makes it possible for him to readily grasp the salient facts pertaining to a calling, and thus it it that he has been able to wrest success in more than one avenue of labor.
Watson, Thomas Cook - now living retired at Jerseyville, was at one time a very prominent agricutlurist of Jersey County, and he has always held the confidence of his neighbors. He was born at Pittston, Luzerne County, Pa., November 6, 1828, a son of Francis and Ann (Price) Watson, natives of England. Francis Watson was nine weeks in crossing the Atlantic Ocean, and after landing in the United States located on a farm in Pennsylvania. In 1851, he sold his farm in that state and went to Ontario County, N. Y., where he bought another farm, and on it he and his wife passed away, and were there buried. He as a man of unusual parts, being a fine Latin and Greek scholar, acquiring his educational training in his native land.
Thomas Cook Watson attended the primitive schools of his day, which were furnished with slab seats, few desks, and none of the modern equipment of a schoolroom. When he was seventeed years old he began working as a coal driver in the mines, and later became an engineer for the Penn Coal Mines, continuing as such for seven years. He worked in the same capacity for other coal companies, and also for a flour mill as engineer. After coming west, he built a sawmill in Missouri and conducted it for a year, then bought eighty acres of land in Fidelity Township, Jersey County, Ill., which he improved, and added to its dimensions until he had 400 acres of land, 160 acres being in Fidelity Township, Jersey County, Illinois; 160 acres in Jersey Township, and the remainder in Christian County, Ill. Until January 1889, he was extensively engaged in farming, but then rented his land and moved to Jerseyville, where he bought his present comforable residence, and he has since lived in retirement.
On December 2, 1852, Thomas Cook Watson was married to Catherine Cordelia Case, at Pittston, Pa. She was a daughter of Philetus Case, who was born in Connecticut. Mr. Case was a soldier in the War of 1812, and his father served in the Colonial Army during the American Revolution. Mr. and Mrs. Watson became the parents of the following children: Francis, who lives at Granite City, Ill., is married to Emma Haycraft, and they have two children; Elsie, who lives at Chicago, is married, and Harry A., who is a chemist in Cincinnati dyeing establishment; Addie Cordelia, who married Preston Randolph in October, 1890, and died leaving two children; and George, who died n 1900. The two children of Addie Cordelia, are tenderly cherished by Mr. Watson, Watson Randolph, who is on one of his grandfather's farms and Mary Cordelia Randolph, who lives with her grandfather. George Watson left two children, namely; Verne, who is now serving in the National Army during the World War; and Cordelia, who lives at Ellsworth, Wis. Mr. Watson is a Republican, and fraternally he belongs to Jerseyville Lodge, No. 394, A. F. & A. M.
Wedding, Clarence - not only is a farmer but a barber and owns both his shop and farm, being one of the prosperous men of Rosedale Township. He was born in Rosedale Township, August 28, 1880, a son of James Wedding, also a farmer, who has lived on his present farm for forty years. James Wedding was married to Miss Ellen Queen, of Jersey County, and they had the following children: Benjamin, who resides at Alton, Ill.; Clarence; Lulu Simpson, who lives at Grafton, Ill,; Bessie (Mrs. Kaslick) who lives in Oregon; and Richard S., who is in the United States Army. James Wedding belongs to the Methodist Episcopal Church, and politically he is a Republican, and held the office of supervisor for two terms, as well as other public positions in the township. The Wedding homestead comprises of 120 acres of fine land.
Clarence Wedding attended the district schools until he was sixteen years old, when he left school to assist his parents. He was married to Alma Nugent, a sketch of whose family appears elsewhere in this work. Mr. and Mrs. Wedding have one son, Clarence Nugent, who was born February 4, 1912. Mr. Wedding has built a beautiful residence at Grafton, in which city he conducts his barber shop on Main Street, in the Grafton Hotel building, having bought it in 1907. Mr. and Mrs. Wedding belong to the Methodist Episcopal Church. He is a Republican and is proud of the fact that he cast his first presidential vote for Theodore Roosevelt. Fraternally he belongs to the Knights of Pythias.
White, Charles S. - County Judge of Jersey County from 1902 to 1904, president of the Jersey State Bank, secretary and treasurer of the George Washington Educational Fund, and secretary of the Famers Mutual Insurance Company, of Jerseyville, is admittedly one of the distinguished men of this part of the state, and one whose continued activities in the county, have resulted beneficially to his locality. He was born on a farm northeast of Jerseyville, December 10, 1868, eldest son of John I. and Sarah J. (Smith) White, both natives of Illinois. John I. White was early in life a school teacher, lager becoming a farmer of Illinois and Iowa, and owning land in both states. He is now living retired at the home of his son, Judge White, his wife having passed away.
Judge White attended the schools of Jerseyville, and was graduated from its high school in 1886, under Prof. Pike. He then began farming for his father, but in 1893 entered upon the study of law in the office of T. S. Chapman and Edward J. Vaughn, with whom he remained for three years. He was admitted to the bar May 23, 1895, but continued in the same office until February 1, 1896, when he opened an office in the Chapman Building on West Pearl Street, Jerseyville, and has continued actively in practice ever since, with the exception of the four years when he was on the bench, from 1902 to 1906. He was one of the organizers of the Jersey State Bank, serving it as vice president from then until April 1, 1916, when he was elected its president. For six years he served as a member of the Jerseyville board of education. He has always been very active as a Republican and has served as a committeeman of his party many times.
On April 27, 1904, Judge White was married at Jerseyville to Sarah B. Fulkerson, a daughter of William H. and Cornelia T.(Russell) Fulkerson, prominent people of Jersey County. Judge and Mrs. White had one daughter, Sarah Cornelia, who died n infancy. Judge White is a Mason and also belongs to the Modern Woodmen of America. Both he and Mrs. White are member of the Presbyterian Church. He owns his residence at Jerseyville, and other city property, and his interests are centered here and in the county, where he has spent his useful life, as did his parents before him.
Whitlow, Hugh L. - one of the leading men of English Township, not only owns and operates farm land in Jersey County, but is interested in rural property elsewhere. He was born in Greene County, Ill., in June, 1863, a son of Willis and Emeline (Moran) Whitlow, born in Greene County, Ill., who lived there until 1872 when they bought a 160 acre farm in English Township, on section 36. This land was only partially improved, and on it the father erected new buildings and made other changes which greatly enhanced its value. Here he died in 1915, aged sevetny-eight years, the mother having died at the age of thirty-six years. Their children were as follows: Hugh L.; Elizabeth, who lives at Alton, Ill.; Mrs. Luella Cloan, who is a widow, of Jerseyville; and Ida Alice, who is the widow of W. Morgan. Daniel Whitlow, the paternal grandfather of Hugh L. Whitlow, came from Kentucky to Greene County, Ill. He was in the earthquake in that state in 1812, which he remembered distinctly until the day of his death. He homesteaded 160 acres of land in Greene County, and also did rafting down the Mississippi River to New Orleans, walking back home on these trips. Although he had nothing when he reached Illinois, he worked hard and saved his money and became very properous and loaned money to his neighbors to a considerable extent.
Hugh L. Whitlow grew up in English Township and attended its schools. After working for his father, in 1889, he moved to Pasadena, Ca., and was employed in surveying for a year. Returning to Jersey County, he worked on Judge Powell's farm, a large portion of which lies in Jersey County, for twelve years. He then went into a grain business with Carl Schneider, but eighteen months later he sold it and bought and sold wheat along the Illinois and Mississippi Rivers for two seasons, when he began farming on his father-in-law's farm in English Township and was so engaged for seven years. Moving then to Manitoba, Canada, he owned and operated land, but after several deals, obtained 120 acres of land in Pinal County, Ariz., which he still owns. This is improved prairie land and very valuable. Once more Mr. Whitlow returned to Jersey County, and conducted a coal and ice business at Jerseyville for two years, trading it for a farm. This he soon sold and bought another farm one mile south of Delhi, Ill. After improving the place, he sold it and moved on the homestead of his father, consisting of sixty acres and on it he carries on general farming and stockraising.
On August 18, 1886, Mr. Whitlow was married to Miiss Zella Cope, born in English Township, a daughter of Nathan and Elinor (Campbell) Cope, natives of Jersey County, Ill. Nathan Cope spent his seventy-five years in Jersey County, where he was very highly respected, his word being as good as another man's bond. A very consciientious man, he lived up to his ideals, and exerted an influence for good on his community. A mighty hunter in the early days, he kept hounds and killed many deer and other wild animals, whose flesh and skins were utilized by thrifty pioneers. Mr. and Mrs. Whitlow became the parents of three children: Edwin, who lives in English Township; Earl, who is at home, and Leslie, who lives at Los Angeles, Cal. In politics, Mr. Whitlow is a Republican, while fraternally he belongs to Hickory Grove Camp, M. W. A., of Jerseyville. A man of more than average ability, and wide experience, he has known how to profit by his chances in occupation and location, and is held in great respect by all who know him
Wieghard, William - president and one of the organizers of the Fieldon Bank, and owner of 817 acres of fine Jersey County farm land, is one of the wealty men of this locality. He was born at Fieldon, Ill., May 3, 1867, a son of Henry and Margaret (Fiesler) Wieghard, natives of Hanover and Hesse Darmstadt, Germany, who came to Jersey County when very young. They later were married and settled in Fieldon, whrere the father worked for others for a few years until he had accumulated suffcient money to buy an eighty acre farm. The maternal grandparents were among the very early settlers of Jersey County, and entered forty acres of land from the government,which are now owned by their son, William Wieghard. In time the father of William Wieghard added to his original farm until he had 360 acres of land, all of which he cleared and improved before his death which occurred in 1910, when he was eighty-eight years old. The mother died in 1905, aged eighty years.
Growing up on the farm, William Wieghard attended the schools of his district, and made himself useful under the practical direction of his father. In 1884, he rented land from his father, and in 1901 bought the interest of the other heirs to the homestead of 360 acres, on which he later built modern structures for farm purposes, and he has made other improvements, Since buying the original farm, he has added to his acreage until he now owns 817 acres of which he operates 400 acres, and rents the balance. When the bank at Fieldon was established, he was one of the organizers, and he is still serving it as president.
On April 17, 1884, Mr. Wieghard was married to Emma Meyers, born in Madison County, Ill., February 14, 1861, a daughter of Fred and Wilhelmina (Baum) Meyers, early settlers of Madison County, where they were married and later died Mr. and Mrs. Wieghard have one daughter, Wilhelmina, and she was born February 2, 1901, and is still as home; and had another, who died in infancy. In politics MR. Wieghard is a Republican, and he served as supervisor for four years, and for six years he was a school trustee. Fraternally, he belongs to the Modern Woodmen of America, and Mrs. Wieghard is a member of the Royal Neighbors. She belongs to the Lutheran Church. A man of unusual ability, Mr. Wieghard has been able to turn it in a legitimate channel and make his life work county for each. At the same time he has not neglected his civic duties, but discharged them capably and honorably he has had to work hard, and practice, during his earlier days, frugality, Mr. Wieghard has taken two trips abroad, going to Europe in 1905 and again in 1910, and while there traveled extensively.
Wiles, Albert Marion - one of the reliable practitioners of osteopathy of Jersey County, is located at Jerseyville where he has built up a large and valuable practice. He was born in Kirksville, Mo., September 5, 1879, a son of Jacob and Sarah M. (Parsell) Wiles, born in Adair County, Mo., farming people who now reside at Ponca City, Okla.
Albert Marion Wiles attended the grammer and high schools of Kirksville, following which he took a course in Missiouri State Normal School, from which he was graduated at the age of eighteen years. He then took up the study of his profession at Kirksville, and was graduated when twenty years old. Coming to Jerseyville, he entered upon an active practice in which he has since continued.
On December 3, 1903, he was married to Cora M Whitehead, born at Jerseyville, a daughter of Robert and Flora (Pritchett) Whitehead of Jerseyville. Dr. and Mrs. Wiles have three children, namely; Gordon, Margaret and Virginia. He is a Presbyterian and served as secretary of the board of trustee of the church at Jerseyville for serveral years. In politics a Democrat, he was on the Jersey Township High School board for the first two years of its existanece, and did much to bring about a satisfactory adjustment of affairs. In Masonry he belongs to the Blue Lodge and Chapter.
Wiley, John - now deceased, but formerly one of the most prosperous men of Jerseyville and the owner of considerable property, was born at Quebec, Canada, April 6, 1837, a son of Samuel and Susan (McCarthy) Wiley, natives of Canada who moved to New York state where the father died. In the early fifties John Wiley came to Jerseyville and was employed in a meat market, and worked at whatever honest employment he could secure until he had saved sufficient money to buy a general store, in 1861. From then on he prospered, investing his profits in Jerseyville property, and in time he erected a handsome brick business block, and a number of residences. As soon as he was able to do so, he sent for his widowed mother and took care of her the remainder of her life.
On February 14, 1878, Mr. Wiley was married to Caroline H. Hayes, born December 25, 1852 at Ithaca, N. Y., a daughter of James and Mary Hayes, born in New York. Mrs. Wiley was reared by an aunt who lived at Jerseyville, whom she joined son after the close of the Civil War. Mr. and Mrs. Wiley had no children. Mr. Wiley was a Republican and served Jerseyville one term as a member of the city council. He was a charter member of the Jerseyville Lodge of the Knights of Pythias. His death occurred December 23, 1907, since which time Mrs. Wiley has lived in her beautiful home on North Lafayette Street. She belongs to the Woman's Relief Corps, the South Side Day Nursery, of South St. Louis, Mo., in which she is serving as a member of the finance committee, and she also belongs to the Jersey County Historical Society. She is an Episcopalian. A lady of culture, she employs her ample means in forwarding those measures which she believes will be of the greatest benefit to her locality, and is admittedly one of the most efficient charitable workers in her church.
Willman, Jacob F. - a prosperous farmer, residing three miles west of Grafton, is one of the representative men of Jersey County. He was born in New York City, N. Y., August 14, 1870, a son of Jacob and Margueritte (Blueh) Willman. Jacob Willman was born in Bavaria, Germany, and after serving in the German Army, he came to the United States in 1869, and spent some time in New York City where he worked at his trades of carpentering and painting, but later on in life he was engaged in farming. He and his wife had, in addition to Jacob F. Willman, the following children: Mrs. Chase, whose husband is an express messenger; Mrs. Elizabeth Rubel; Mrs. Dora Hamilton, who resides in New Mexico, and two who are decesed. When Jacob F. Willman was eight years old, his parents came to Grafton, and here the father died in 1916, the mother having passed away in 1900. They were Catholics. While the father inclined towards the principles of the Republican party,he oftentimes voted for the man rather than for the party.
Jacob F. Willman attended the Grafton schools until he was sixteen years old, and then he began farming. He has a fine property of sixty acres, and is specializing in raising fruit, Duroc-Jersey hogs, Plymouth Rock chickens and Indian Runner ducks, and during 1917 sold over $500 worth of fruit. His poultry ios famous in the neighborhoos, and he does a big business in supplying fine fowls and setting of eggs. His experience in this line enables him to render a very valuable service to his customers, and his territory is a wide one.
Mr. Willman, was married December 29, 1897, to Miss Catherine Pivoda, born in Jersey County, October 9, 1879, although her parents were natives of Austria. Mr. and Mrs. Willman have had the following children born to themo: Jacb C., who is at home; Stephen E., who is deceased; Agnes; Leonard F. In politics Mr. Willman is a Democrat, and has held school offices for years, being now clerk of school district No. 59. He belongs to the Modern Woodmen of America, and Mrs. Willman belongs to the Royal Neighbors. They are Catholics. Few people of this section are held in higher esteem than Mr. and Mrs. Willman, and they deserve the confidence they enjoy.
Wilson, Henry A. - a skilled carpenter and general mechanic of Grafton, is one of the substantial men of this city. He was born in Missouri, April 18, 1857, a son of Robert and Caroline (Bridger) Wilson. The father was born in Lancashire, England, in 1824, and the mother was also a native of Englad. He was twenty-five years old when they were married, the ceremony being performed in England by a clergyman of the established church. Their children were as follows: Robert, who resides in Mitts, Mo.; James K., who resides at Fort Worth, Tex.; Henry A., Ambrose, who lives at St. Louis, Mo.; Frederick, who lives at Washington, Mo.; Luella, who is deceased; Lizzie and Dora, who live in Missouri. A machinist, the father met with an accidetn while working at his trade, a piece of steel striking him in the eye and eventually he lost the sight of that organ. In 1855, he came to the United States, first stopping at Chicago, and later going to New Haven, Mo., where he followed farming.
Henry A. Wilson attended the schools of New Haven, Mo., until he was nineteen years old, then learned the machinist trade, and then worked as a carpenter at St. Louis, Mo. Finally he entered the government service and was employed in Louisana, being sent to Grafton in 1880, as a member of the government engineering corps. He was then made a pilot in the service of the government on the Mississippi River until he lost his boat in a storm, and barely escaped with his life. He then located at Grafton and is engaged in working as a carpenter and general mechanic, having received his papers from the government as a machinist twenty-seven years ago.
Mr. Wilson was married to Ellen Barker, in 1880, and he and his bride went to Columbus, Ky., for their honeymoon on the government boat "Cecil" of which he was pilot. They became the parents of the following children: Walter D., and Mrs. Ada Cope, both of whom live at Grafton; Harry Arthur, who lives at Granite City, Ill.; Mrs. Birdie Wallace, who lives at Grafton; and Lola, who lives at hom. Mr. Wilson belongs to the Meghodist Episcopal Church. While he is a Democrat in national matters, locally he votes for the man he deems best fitted for the office. In 1886, he was elected constable of Grafton, and in 1916, was elected a justice of the peace, and he has also been an alderman for a number of years. A man of sterling character, Mr. Wilson stands very well in his community.
Wolf, George H. - now living retired at Jerseyville, has been connected with some important interests in Jersey County. He was born at Booneville, N. Y., January 25, 1835, a son of Henry and Mary (Jilson) Wolf, the former of whom what born in Strassburg, Germany, in August, 1808, and the latter August 11, 1802, at Booneville, N. Y.
On February 21, 1866, George H. Wolf was married to Sarah Ames, born at Steuben, Oneida County, N. Y., a daughter of David H. and Betsy (Norton) Ames, he born at Watervliet, N. Y., May 1, 1792, and she at Herkimer, N. Y., October 7, 1800. The grandparents were Nathaniel and Sarah (Hall) Ames, he born at Killingly, Conn., April 25, 1761, and she in 1768. He enlisted in 1779 in the Continental Army. David Ames was a soldier in the War of 1812, and in 1883 he and his family came to join Mr. and Mrs. Wolf at Jerseyville, where David Ames died November 27, 1893, Mrs. Ames having passed away July 16, 1887, and they were buried at Steuben, N. Y.
After marriage Mr. Wolf settled at Booneville and lived there until the fall of 1869 when he came to Jerseyville, Ill., his wife joining him the following spring. He conducted a hardware business at Jerseyville for about four years, and then branched out into handling agricultural implements, so continuing until 1890 when he closed his business and embarked in a dairy business, having a farm of forty-five acres at the edge of town, although he maintained his residence in Jerseyville. In 1904, he sold his dairy interests at public sale, and since then has lived in retirement. Mr. and Mrs. Wolf have no children, but have an adopted daughter, Frances Sarah, who is now Mrs. Benjamin Tweedy. While Mr. Wolf's educational advantages were confined to those offered by the common schools of New York, Mrs. Wolf went to the Whitestown Academy, N. Y., and later taught school for four terms prior to her marraige. Both are very active members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, which Mr. Wolf has served as steward. In politics he is a Republican.
Woodruff, George H. - one of the expert market gardeners of Jersey County, owns and operates thirty acres of very valuable land in the eastern part of Jerseyville. He was born near Bardstown, Ky., August 23, 1835, a son of Ezra and Catherine (Hagen) Woodruff. The family history is as follows: John Woodruff, born in England in 1604, died at South Hampton, L. I., in 1670, having left England in 1640, and located at Lynn, Mass. The first name of his wife was Anna. The son of these American founders of the family, also John, was born in England in 1637, and he died in 1691, having been one of the founders of Elizabeth, N. J. He held serveral offices under the colonial government, and was a prominent man. His wife bore the maiden name of Mary Ogden. The third in descent, John (III), was born at Elizabeth, N. J., in 1662. His son, Timothy, was born in 1682, and he died November 15, 1766. Timothy (II), was born in 1715 and died in 1798, and his son, Enos, was born in 1750 and died in 1821. Ezra the next in line, was born in 1787 and died in 1842, he being the father of George H. Woodruff, whose name heads this review.
Until he was thirteen years old, George H. Woodruff, attended school at Louisville, Ky. In 1848, he came to Jerseyville, Ill., buying twenty acres of his present place, to which he later added ten acres. Here he has always carried on market gardening. Alll of the buildings on the place have been erected by him, and he has also made other improvements.
On January 2, 1861, Mr. Woodruff was married to Elizabeth A. Squirer, born at Newark, N. J., a daughter of Israel and Martha (Kirkpatrick) Squirer, natives of New Jersey. Mr. and Mrs. Woodruff became the parents of the following children: Almria, who is deceased; Ezra, who lives in Jersey County; Charles, who lives at Cairo, Ill.; Catherine, who is deceased; George, who lives in Jersey County; and Martha, who is at home. Mrs. Woodruff died July 25, 1892. Mr. Woodruff is a member of the Baptist Church. In politics he is a Republican, while fraternally he belongs to the subordinate lodge and Encampment of the Odd Fellows and to the Rebekahs. He is a sound reliable man and stands well in his community.
Woolsey, George H. - a veteran of the Civil War, and a man widely known and universally respected, is one of the substantial citizens of Jersey Township. He was born in Jersey Township, Jersey County, Ill., October 27, 1841, a son of Joseph B. and Ann (Barber) Woolsey, natives of New York state, who came to Jersey County at an early day, and entered government land in Jersey Township, the greater portion of which was in the timber. This land Joseph B. Woolsey cleared off and improved, becoming a farmer on an extensive scale, and he also worked at the carpenter trade for a number of years. His children were as follows: Edward, who is deceased; Joel P., who lives at Coffeyville, Kas.; James, wo is deceased; Simeon, who lives at Auburn, Ill.; Amos, who lives in Oklahoma; and George H.
George H. Woolsey attended the district schools and learned to be a farmer. When his counrty had need of him, during the Civil War, he enlisted in Company C., One Hundred and Twenty-second Illinois Volunteer Infantry, and served for three years. He was wounded by a canister shot, in the left breast, which broke two ribs, the wounding taking place during the battle of Coffeyville, Tenn. After being in the hospital for some time, he was granted a furlough of thirty days, but it was four months before he was able to rejoin his regiment.
On October 31, 1867, Mr. Woolsey was married to Barbara Ann Whorton, born in Jersey County, Ill., February 15, 1848, a daughter of Charles and Mary Ann (Bolter) Whorton. Mr. and Mrs. Woolsey became the parents of the following children: Della M., who is deceased; Willliam H., who is also deceased; Joel, who lives at Carrollton, Ill., was married first to Viola Highland and has a son, Kenneth, and was married (second) to Lizzie Dugger, and they have two children, Venette and Vienna, the former deceased: George, who lives at Steele, N. D., was married to Kate Graves, and their children are, Everett, Earl, Edith, Blanche, and Fay; Nellie, who is Mrs. Charles Bell, of Jerseyville, has the following children, Russell, Maurice, Clifford, Geraldine, Zelda and Florence; Fred, who lives at Jerseyville, was married first to Ella Linker, now deceased, who bore him four children, Earl, Mildred, Wayne, and Charles, and after her death was married (second) to Mollie Waters, who is still living; Austin, who married Shatta Monies, has four children, Alberta, Paul, Ruford, and Ralph, and one deceased; Pearl, who is Mrs. Ernest Pruitt, of Ruyle Township, has had the following children, Virgil, Barbara, Georgia, Thelma, deceased, and Chester; Leola, who is Mrs George Watts, of Jersey Township, has one living child, and two are deceased; and Alvin, who lives at home, was married to Daisy Davenport, and they have had two children, a daughter, Velma, who is living, and a son, Georgie, who is deceased.
After his marriage Mr. Woolsey bought eighty acres of land in Jersey Township from his father, and at that time the land was covered with brush and timber. He cleared off the undergrowth, erected suitable buildings, and made of his farm a valuable property. In addition to this farm, he owns eighty acres more that is located in the same township, which he bought and inherited from his father's estate. In politics he is a Democrat and he has served as a school director and road commissioner. He is a member of the Baptist Church. Mr. Woolsey is one of the valued members of the local G. A. R. A man of sound principles, he has never been afraid to live up to them, and he stands very high in his community.
Wright, Alfred G. - one of the substantial business men of Grafton, is engaged in manufacturing and handling harness. He was born at Newville, Ind., near Fort Wayne, April 11, 1843, a son of John Wright, who was born in Ohio. John Wright was a Baptisti Minister, and during the Civil War, he was chaplain of a Michigan Calvalry Regiment, and served until the close of hostilities. He was married to Nancy Bartlett, who was born in Canada, and she died in Michigan. Of their seven sons and two daughters, Alfred G. Wright is the only one who survives. The Wright family is a historic one, the American founder coming to this country from France with General Lafayette, and becoming one of General Washington's personal body guards during the American Revolution.
Alfred G. Wright attended the schools of his district until he was eighteen years old, and he was then apprenticed to the harnessmaking trade. Many years later he returned to his old home, and visited the shop, in which he had learned his trade. Like his father, he gave his country a loyal service during the Civil War. After the close of the Civil War, Alfred G. Wright conducted a harnessmaking business in Missouri for three years, and then returned to Indiana. Some years later he located at Manchester, Ill., continuing in the same line of business, and in 1895, he settled at Grafton, opening his present establishment at that time.
The first wife of Mr. Wright bore the maiden name of Mary Page, and she was a native of Indiana. When their first and only child, George Alfred Wright, was born, she died, but the son survives and now lives in Indiana. While living at Manchester, Ill., Mr. Wright was married (second) to Miss Lucy Field, of Pike County, Ill., and they had two children, namely; Mattie Howard, who lives at Manchester, Ill.; Abbie Ebber, who lives at Hamburg, Ill. After the death of his second wife, Mr. Wright was married (third) at Grafton, to Mildren Miller. Mr. Wright belongs to Hildred Post, No. 585, G. A. R., and is its present commander. Fraternally, he is a Mason, and belongs also to the Modern Woodmen of America. His political views make him a Republican. A man of standing in his community, he is a valuable addition to it.
Source: History of Jersey County Illinois, 1919
Edited by Oscar Hamilton
President Jersey County Historical Society, 1919
(Actual Book Pages 497 - 664)(PDF Pages 632 - 799)