Return to Home Page
|Historical Events (1812-1910)|
1812- Establishment of Madison County
1818- Admission of Illinois into Statehood
1821-Greene County formed from Madison County
1839-Jersey County established
1819- Lofton's Prairie and Piasa Settlement and settlements along the Mississippi and Illinois rivers in Quarry and Richwoods Townships; also settlement of English township.
1821- land offices opened at Edwardsville for entry of lands in Madison and Greene Counties after the purchase of Indian rights in that territory
1830- Foundation of Otter Creek Prairie Settlement by Dr. Silas Hamilton, and entry of a large amount of land by Joseph Russell in English Township
1835- Erection of Hamilton Primary School under will of Dr. Silas Hamilton. The first Free School in Illinois, and the most advanced school in the county for forty years.
1839- Establishment of Jerseyville as the county seat of Jersey County
1849-Establishment of The Young Ladies Seminary in Jerseyville by Miss Virginia Corbett
1854- Establishment of an academy in Sons' Hall for young men in Jerseyville
1870-1872- Erection of a grade school building in Jerseyville
1874- Employment of Prof. Joshua Pike as principal of Jerseyville School
1915- Death of Prof. Joshua Pike
1915-1916- Establishment of Jersey Township High School in Jerseyville, and the employment f Prof. D.R. Henry as superintendent of the Jerseyville public schools and principal of the Township High School
1916- Establishment of a Non High School District No. 74 in Jersey County.( This district includes all territory in the county not included in the four year high school district.)
1878-1879- Changes in Jersey County from county commissioners to the board of supervisors.
1916- Change in the City of Jerseyville from mayor and board of aldermen to administration of mayor and four commissioners.
1865-1866- Construction of the Jacksonville, Alton, & St.Louis Railroad through Jersey County, establishing depots at Jerseyville and Delhi.
1881-1882- Construction of Chicago, Peoria, & St.Louis Railroad as a branch of the Wabash Railroad through Jersey County in 1881, with stations at Fidelity, Jerseyville, McClusky, Dow, Elsah, and Grafton. In 1889 and 1890, the change of that road from Dow Station through Belltrees, Lockhaven, to Alton; later extended to St.Louis, and the extension from Lock Haven to connect with the old line at Elsah.
1910- Construction of the Electric Line from Alton to Jerseyville, and its dismantling and removal in 1918.