FRANCIS, a merchant of Vienna, Johnson County, and member of the State
Board of Equalization, was born in Weakley County, Tenn., October 6,
1851. His father, Armistead Francis, was born in Virginia, December 25,
1823, and his father,Calvin Francis, was also a native of Virginia.
Calvin, who was a son of Ephraim Francis, was reared, educated and
married in Virginia. He removed from that State to Tennessee, residing
there for a time in Smith and Wilson Counties, and afterward in Weakley
County, where he engaged in farming and spent his last days.
was reared on a farm and resided in Tennessee until l853. Then with his
wife and two children he removed to Illinois, making the removal with
his team. He settled in Tunnel Hill Township, entered a tract of
Government land and bought an improved farm, upon which he still
resides. The maiden name of his wife was Mary E. Dorothy. She was born
in Williamson County, September 23, l823, and was the daughter of
Dennis and Sallie (McLain) Dorothy. Her father was a native of
Tennessee and removed from that State to Williamson County, Ill., when
that was a new county, and there spent the last years of his life,
dying at the advanced age of ninety years. He and his wife were the
parents of three children: Sarah E., James S. and Nettie.
James S. Francis
received his early education in the public schools of Johnson County,
and afterward attended McKendree College, at Lebanon, Ill. He began
teaching when seventeen years of age and taught four winter terms of
schoo1. He remained on the farm until the fall of 1880, when he removed
to Vienna, and in 1885 became interested in his present business, to
which he has directed his entire attention since l889. In that year he
formed a partnership with Robert T. Hood, his present partner. They
carry a large stock of groceries, hardware, tinware, farming
Mr. Francis was
married in 1872 to Nannie E. Hogg, a native of Vienna Township, Johnson
County, and a daughter of James N. and Rebecca E. (Hawick) Hogg, and to
their marriage there have been born six children: James E., Charles H.,
Walter H., William H., Fay and George B. He is a Republican in politics
and cast his first vote for Gen. Grant for President in 1872. In 1880
he was elected Circuit Court Clerk, and in 1884 he was re-elected to
the same position, thus serving in that office eight years. In 1888, he
was elected a member of the State Board of Equalization and still holds
that position. He is a member of Vienna Lodge No. l50, A. F. &
A. M., and also of Mayflower Lodge, K.
& L. of H.