Millington Village possess the unique advantage of being situated in two counties, Kendall and La Salle; the combined population in 1920 was 212 of whom more than a majority belonged to Kendall. [History of La Salle County, Illinois. Chicago: Lewis Pub. Co., 1924. - Submitted by N. Piper]
Mission Township contains the thriving little villages of Sheridan and Norway, and also a part of the village of Millington. Millington is a small village situated at the point where Fox River and the Fox River branch of the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy Railroad cross the boundary between La Salle and Kendall counties. It is an old place, being founded some thirty-five years ago.
It has three general stores, kept by L. M. Waters, M. D. Hudgins and Pleis & Conger; two drug stores, by S. P. Nelson and Samuel Lee Foster; one wagon shop and plow factory, by Fletcher Misner ; one planing-mill and pump factory, by C. H. Miller; two blacksmith shops, by William Walker and Fletcher Misner; physician, Dr. J. A. Freeman; tile factory, by Jackson, Gillet & Terry; one hotel and livery stable, by A. A. Boyd; millinery and dressmaking, by Mrs. Woodbury and Miss Carty; two lumber yards, by George N off and C. H. Miller; grain merchants, Courtright and Coe; stock yards, by C. H. Miller; two saloons, by C. A. Wilson and C. Hathorn. Many years ago a stock company was formed, consisting of the following persons: Thomas Serine, Samuel McMath, Seymour Potter, Aaron Brodie and a Mr. Curtis for the purpose of building and operating a woolen-mill. The business was successful until about the year 1875 when it failed. A large flouring mill is located near the village. About two years ago, at Millington, Fox River was bridged. The bridge is made of iron, and cost about $25,000.
The post office was first called Milford, but on account of there being another village in the State by the same name, its name was changed, about 1860, to Millington. The first Postmaster was a Mr. Delamater, since then Isaac Waters, Richard Richardson, F. Halwell and S. J. Bartwell have served in that capacity. The present school-house was built about 1875. It contains two rooms, and is attended by from seventy-five to eighty pupils. S. F. Ashville and Miss Sadie F. Adams had charge of the school last year.
The Methodist Episcopal church was organized over twenty years ago and the present building was erected. Rev. R. K. Bibbins is the present pastor. The congregation is large, and services are held twice each Sunday.
About two-thirds of Millington is in Kendall and one-third in La Salle County. It is a good stock market.
[Source: History of La Salle County, Illinois : together with sketches of its cities, villages and towns, educational, religious, civil, military, and political history, portraits of prominent persons, and biographies of representative citizens : also a condensed History of Illinois, embodying accounts of prehistoric races, aborigines, Winnebago and Black Hawk wars, and a brief review of its civil and political history.. Chicago: Inter-State Pub. Co., 1886. Page 430-431 - Submitted by N. Piper]
© Copyright by Genealogy Trails