Finding Ancestors wherever their trails led with Genealogy Trails History Group

Knox County Illinois
Genealogy and History

Obituaries and Death Notices

Althea Owen Sanburn
Mrs. Althea Owen Sanburn, widow of the late John G. Sanburn, died at her residence in this place, on Tuesday, January 30th. The funeral services were held at the Presbyterian Church on Friday, the 3rd last, the Rev. Mr. Waddle officiating. More than a passing notice is due to the memory of Mrs. Sanburn. She was born in Ontario County, in the State of New York, on the 8th day of November, 1805, about ten miles from where her late husband was born. They both emigrated to the State of Ohio, at an early day, and then to Knox County Illinois, in 1829. Mrs. Sanburn came to this county with her widowed mother and her brother, the late Parnach Owen, who was widely know throughout the county, at that early day, as "Deacon Owen", a pillar of the Presbyterian Church, and a prominent Christian gentleman. They first settled on a farm near where the town of Gilson now stands, afterwards known as the "Gunsall place", where they remained until 1831. Their nearest neighbor was a Mr. Palmer, who lived on Spoon River, and the next nearest neighbors were at Henderson Grove, where her late husband was then residing, and engaged in merchandising. (strange as it may appear, though they were born in the same vicinity, in New York, and both moved to Ohio, then to Knox County, Illinois, near the same time, they never met each other until after they were of age and settled in Knox County.) In 1831 she and Mr. Sanburn became aquainted, were married and made their home at his store in Henderson Grove. When they moved to Knoxville, Mr. Sanburn still engaged in selling goods, until the county was organized, when he was elected clerk of the Circuit Court, and appointed postmaster. Mrs. Sanburn had a large experience in pioneer life, and many of the reminiscences were of deep interest to those who have heard them. She was the mother of seven children, all of whom were present at the "old homestead" on the day of the funeral, but two of them who came from Ohio, did not arrive until after the funeral services. Mrs. Sanburn united with the Presbyterian church early in life, and remained a highly respected member, until called to her Home above, her name standing first on the roll of members of the church in this place. She was a Christian lady in every sense of the term, and was so considered by all who had the pleasure of her acquaintance. If she ever had an enemy, it was unknown to the writer of this article, who has been her friend and neighbor for about forty-seven years. She filled all the relations of life with honor to herself, and satisfaction to the church, her family, her neighbors and acquaintances, and when the summons came to call her Home above, she was ready, her duties performed, she had done what she could. She was only sick about one week, did not appear to suffer much pain, just a calm separation of the mortal from the immortal, when she calmly passed away, to be forever with her dear friends, who had gone before, and Him whom she had served so long and faithfully. "Blessed are the dead who die in the Lord." R. L. H. (Knox County Republican, Knoxville, Illinois, Feb. 7, 1883, submitted by Todd Walter)

Mrs. S. M. Sawyer

Died at the residence of her brother, in St. Charles Ill., on the 7th inst., from poisoning in June last, Mrs. S. M., wife of Mr. A. J. Sawyer of Galesburg, aged 29 years. [The Ottawa Free Trader, Ottawa, Illinois, October 15, 1847]

Jack "Jackie" Schisler
Galesburg Register Mail, July 31, 2006
Jack Schisler
Mr. Jack Schisler, Abingdon Chapel, 71 of 120 E. Third St., St. Augustine died at 9:10 am Sunday, July 30, 2006 at OSF St. Mary Medical Center ER in Galesburg.
He was born on June 10, 1935 in Knox County to Homer and Nada Mitchell Schisler Sr. He married Margaret Ann Allison on September 25, 1953 in Monmouth. She survives.
Also surviving are two sons, Dan (and Linda) Schisler and Dave Schisler all of St. Augustine; one granddaughter, Lindsey Schisler of St. Augustine; four brothers, Robert (and Velma) Schisler of Jacksonville, IL, Bradley (and Pat) Schisler of RR 6 Galesburg, Don (and Darlene) Schisler of Abingdon and Homer (and Sandra) Schisler Jr. of Mt. Morris, MI; three sisters, Muriel Derry, Betty (and Elmer) Sickles and Dorla (and William) Dwyer all of Abingdon.
He was preceded in death by his parents, four brothers, Berlon, Jay, Giles and James Schisler and one sister, Lois Munson.
He had lived most of his adult life in St. Augustine. He worked at the former Outboard Marine Corporation in Galesburg for 32 years retiring in 1983. He later worked at Club 41 Restaurant in St. Augustine.
He was a member of the St. Augustine Christian Church. He was a past board member of the St. Augustine Village Board. He was a former volunteer firefighter and past chief of the St. Augustine Fire Department Unit of the Abingdon Fire Protection District.
He enjoyed going to auctions, was an avid woodworker and was a CUBS fan.
Visitation will be from 5 until 7:30 pm Tuesday, August 1, 2006 at the Hinchliff-Pearson-West Abingdon Chapel with a prayer service at 7:30 pm led by Eleanor Landon. Cremation will follow the visitation. Private burial will be at a later date in the Babbitt Cemetery near St. Augustine.

Dau. of R. M. Scudder
The eleven year old daughter of R. M. Scudder died Monday after a short illness of pneumonia at her home three miles southwest of Maquon. The funeral services were held in the M. E. Church Wednesday. The interment was in Maquon cemetery. (Galesburg Daily Republican Register, May 23, 1906, submitted by Todd Walter)

Edmund Scully
Edmund Scully for the past 46 years a resident of Galesburg died at his home, 888 S. Academy St. He had taken sick at noon, but nothing could save him. Death was caused by strangualation hernia. Born in county Cork Ireland he came to America when a young man, settling in Galesburg. He was employed as a blacksmith by CBQ railroad. He married Margaret Godsil who died April 9, 1907. Ten children survive. Edward died Feb 27, 1901, James P, Taylor, TX, John J. El Paso, TX., William H., Mary Wilson, Nellie Sipes, Margaret Forsyth, Kathyrn Farrell, Annie and Dan living at home. Member of the Catholic Church, Rev. Father Baines performing the service at Saint Patrick's Church. Burial at Saint Joseph's Cemetery. [Register-Mail; March 20, 1911]

Charlotte Searles
Funeral services for Charlotte Searles who died at Moline April 8, will be held at the Horton and Foley undertaking parlor at 3 o'clock Tuesday afternoon, with Rev. E. H. Gaston of the Second Baptist church officiating. Burial will be made in Hope cemetery. (Galesburg's Weekly Mail, April 10, 1922, contributed by Janet Durst)

Matt Searles
Well Known Colored Citizen Dies at his Home
One of Galesburg's oldest and best-known citizens, Matt Searles, died Monday at his home, 425 West First street. He had been sick for a few days, in bed since last Thursday, with typhoid pneumonia. He was not considered dangerously ill until Sunday night, when he grew much worse, and died Monday morning.
For many years he was one of the well-know colored figures on Galesburg's streets. He worked for several firms, for the city, and at one time owned a farm himself. He was prominent in the affairs of the African Methodist church, being a steward, and he held other positions of trust during his long life in Galesburg, and had a host of friends both among the white people of Galesburg as well as his own folks.
James Madison Searles was born in Stuart county, Ga., Jan. 23, 1827, and was the son of Francis Searles, a white man and a large planted (misprint?). When Mr. Searles moved away from Georgia fifty-two years ago, he came to Knox county and brought his family with him, including Matt Searles. The young man was educated in the schools here and was married Oct. 20, 1860, to Diantha Bevley. Three children comprised their family, two of whom died, one just as he was finishing a course in Knox College. One child, Sarah, with her mother, survive. A sister, Charlotte Searles, lives in Galesburg. (Galesburg's Weekly Mail, April 13, 1899, contributed by Janet Durst)

Samuel Shannon
Samuel Shannon, of Galesburg, Ill., fell dead in one of the railroad depots at Chicago on Saturday last.  [Sangamo Journal / Illinois State Journal, Volume 7, Number 226, 20 February 1855

Infant of Leonard Shaw
Maquon - The infant child of Leonard Shaw died Monday, October 22, aged 2 months. The funeral was held at the house, conducted by Rev. N.G. Clark. Mr. and Mrs. Shaw's friends deeply sympathize with them in the loss of their only child. (Galesburg Weekly Mail, October 25, 1900, submitted by Todd Walter)

Mrs. Malinda Shearer
Mrs. Malinda Shearer died last week Thursday morning, at her home three miles north of Maquon. The funeral took place there Saturday morning. Malinda Burnett was born in Putnam county, Indiana, March 30, 1830. She was a daughter of Joshua and Elizabeth Burnett, who came to Illinois and Knox county in the year 1836, arriving here July 2, just sixty four years ago last Monday. Dec. 13, 1849, she was united in marriage to William Conser. To this union was given four children, all of whom with their father, have long since departed this life. Oct. 1, 1863, she was again married, this time to Daniel Shearer. To them were given three children - Emma, Belle and Maggie - all of whom, with their father, survive. (Galesburg Weekly Mail, July 12, 1900, submitted by Todd Walter)

Margaret Simkins
MAQUON - Margaret Jane Simkins, fifth child of Elizabeth and Joseph Thurman, was born near London Mills, Sept. 15, 1860, and departed this life Nov. 7, 1922, aged 62 years, 1 month and 22 days. For sometime her health had been on the decline, but January 25 she suffered a stroke of paralysis from which she had not strength to recover and since July 23 she has been an invalid. During her illness she has had the care of her children and friends, who were ever ready to alleviate her sufferings. She was united in marriage to Gilbert Simkins, Feb. 19, 1884 in Galesburg. To this union were born six children, five of whom survive her, one daughter, Madge, dying in infancy. The husband passed away Aug. 27, 1917. Mrs. Simkins entire life was spent near Maquon on a farm except the last three years that she made her home in Maquon. She is survived by two daughters, Mrs. Roy Holloway of London Mills and Mrs. Alva Potter of Elba Center, three sons, Dr. R.H. Simkins of Elmwood, Roscoe of Yates City and Illif(?) of Maquon, twelve grandchildren living and one deceased, one sister, Mrs. Alice Terwilliger of London Mills, one brother, Webster Thurman of Chicago, besides a host of other relatives and friends by whom she will be greatly missed. Mrs. Simkins life was one of real helpfullness, and in her home she was an ideal mother and grandmother, and it is here her loss will be so keenly felt. (Galesburg Evening Mail, November 10, 1922, submitted by Todd Walter)

Martin Simpkins
Well Known Resident Of County Has Passed Away (Special to the Republican-Register.)
Douglas, Ill., Oct. 17 -- Martin Luther Simpkins died at the hospital in Watertown, Ill., Monday, Oct. 15, about 12 o'clock noon. A short time ago he was seized with paralysis of the throat which prevented him from receiving nourishment and which hastened the end. The remains were brought to Douglas Tuesday morning. The funeral was held from the church this afternoon. Rev. H. F. (there was a whole line missing here) officiated and the interment was in the Douglas cemetery. The deceased was born in Montgomery County, Indiana Aug. 8, 1851. He came with his parents to Illinois in 1856. When a young boy he was adopted into the family of Horatio Gilmore Simpkins. On March 8, 1876, he was married to Miss Nance Bell Wheeler. Nine daughters were born to them, who are all alive; also his wife. He has been a member of the M. W. A. since 1895. He carried upon his life one thousand dollars in that society. He worked at several trades during his life time, and was always busy. The oldest daughter, Mrs. Addie Ellen Shaw, who lives at Freeport, Harper county, Kansas was prevented from attending the funeral. (Galesburg's Republican-Register, Oct. ??, 1908, submitted by Sandy)

Nance B. Simpkins
Died - Mrs. Nance Bell Simkins (sic)
Mrs. Nance Bell Simkins [Simpkins] was a daughter of Theodore Lyman Wheeler and Elizabeth Ann Ingram, and was born July 16, 1861, in Summit, now Douglas, and died near Brimfield, Ill., June 19, aged 63 years. She grew to womanhood here, and received her education in the Summit public school.
March 8, 1876, she was united in marriage with Morton L. Simkins (NOTE: Martin Simpkins). Nine daughters were born to them, seven of whom survive their mother. They are Mrs. Addie E. Shaw, Mrs. Cora J. Plack, Mrs. Jessie B. Plack, Mrs. Edith Blanch Plack, Mrs. Susan F. Claypool, Miss Myrtle M. Simkins, Mrs. Juanita P. Collins; one brother, James T. Wheeler, ex-sheriff, who lives in Galesburg and one half brother Thomas K. Polk Trader, and a number of grandchildren.
The funeral services were held in the M. E. church at Douglas at 2:00 p.m. Saturday. Rev. C. W. Leonard, Methodist pastor, had charge. The quartet was composed of Mrs. Mattie Upp, Miss Grace Lawrence, A. K. Taylor and James G. Ralston and Miss Elizabeth Ralston, pianist. The funeral directors were H. M. Kilpatrick and son of Elmwood. Burial was by the side of her husband in the Douglas cemetery. The floral tributes were beautiful. Mrs. Simkins’ life was one of industry, leaving a fine example for her children to follow. E. H. Ware, H. C. Simkins, Thomas E. Beck, Melvin P. Goodwin, Michael Murphy and W. H. Faulda were the pall bearers.
We wish to thank our friends and neighbors for the kindness and sympathy shown us during our late bereavement, the death of our mother, Mrs. Simkins. -- The Children (Brimfield News, Thursday, June 26, 1924, pg. 1, col. 4, submitted by Sandy)

Emily White Skinner
Wataga, ILL, July 29, 1908, Special to the Mail—Emily White Skinner, the youngest daughter of Garrett and Merrill White was born at Rio, Ill., 47 years ago, and was married to M. M. Skinner of Rockford, 21 years ago. Died there July 24, 1908, after suffering with rheumatism for 15 years. Her last illness lasted 22 days, after a hemorrhage of the brain. She was unconscious most of the time, but passed away peacefully at the last. She was resting and waiting for her change. She was brought to Wataga with her husband, M. M. Skinner and her sister, Mary White. Her funeral was from the home of another sister, Emma Davis, the funeral service was preached by Rev. Fayne, the M. E. minister of Wataga and she was laid to rest by the side of her father. [Galesburg Weekly Mail, July 30, 1908 - Sub. by FoFG]
Roy Skinner
While hunting rabbits Sunday near Burnside, Ollie Hainline shot and instantly killed Roy Skinner.
Just before the accident occurred a rabbit jumped up and ran and Skinner shot at it but missed it. After he missed Hainline started to raise his gun to his shoulder, but before he got it placed the weapon was discharged. He was just across the hedge from Skinner, being probably not more than twelve feet away, and the load struck him in the neck. So close was he that the shot had not time to scatter, and the entire load seemed to have entered his throat about the Adam's apple. It tore away the throat as though it had been cut. (The area known as Burnside/Burnside Crossing is in Chestnut Twp.) (Galesburg Daily Republican-Register, Tuesday Evening, Jan 14, 1913, submitted by Todd Walter)

George Michael Smith
Mike Smith, 85 Years of Age, Committed Suicide Saturday Night
Used a Razor, Hit His Head With a Hammer, and Finally Hung Himself With a Clothes Line
Maquon, Ill., June 16 - Tired of living, despondent because his age and ill health prevented him from taking an active part in the work of his farm, George Michael Smith committed suicide at his daughter's home west of here last Saturday evening.
His daughter, Mrs. Leslie Wolf, and the other members of the family were away from home on Saturday evening and when they returned late at night they found the old mans bed empty. At once a search was started and after looking about the place Mr. Smith's lifeless body was found swaying from the end of a rope attached to a limb in a large peach tree.
A razor and a hammer near the lifeless body testified to other phases of the tragedy. Apparently the old man had attempted to slash himself with the razor, but his nervous hands had failed in this trial. Cuts were found on his head and across his abdomen. Marks on his head showed that he must have made an effort to end his life by striking his head with a hammer.
Although his relatives had not noticed anything peculiar in the actions of the old man of late, it is believed that despondency preyed upon his mind until he became mentally deranged. The futile attempts made with a hammer and a razor testify to an unbalanced mind of a very determined conviction that the best thing for him to do was end it all. He had been sick for several years with stomach trouble.
It is thought he left the house with three implements of suicide, a razor, a hammer, and a rope, with the intention of trying them all until his aim was accomplished. The rope, nervously tied to the peach tree limb, finally allowed him to accomplish his purpose.
Mr. Smith was 85 years of age. His wife has been dead many years. He leaves a daughter, Mrs. Leslie Wolf, of Maquon and another daughter in Iowa. His two sons, Arthur and John, live in this county.
The funeral will be held tomorrow morning at ten o'clock from the home.
At the coroners inquest held yesterday, the jury decided that Mr. Smith came to his death by his own hand, having been prompted to take his life because of his suffering from stomach trouble and other ills. [Galesburg Evening Mail, June 16, 1913 - Sub. by Todd Walter]

Martha Smith
(Not the full obit)
Died at her home in Orange township, Knox county, Sept. 7, Mrs. Martha Smith, aged 85 years, 6 months, and 9 days. Martha Davis was born in Columbus, Ohio, Feb. 8, 1818. At the age of 21 years she was married to Samuel Smith from Ohio. They moved to Knox county in the year 1847 and settled on a farm in Orange township where they always lived, excepting one year in Knoxville, where Mr. Smith died Jan. 24, 1876. To this union were born seven sons and two daughters. Four sons are still living, two in Kansas, one in Iowa and one in Illinois. The only living daughter is in York county, Neb. This old lady was grandmother to fifty grandchildren and two great grandchildren. At her request the funeral was held at her home. J.R. Wilder and wife conducted the funeral and she was laid away in the Cook graveyard Sept. 9. The procession contained over thirty teams. In a talk with this person she said she was growing old and would soon pass away. Those people came by wagon all the way from Ohio to Knox county when it was not as it is today. By the death of this old lady it leaves just four persons of the old settlers in this neighborhood, Thos. Sumner and Mesdames (?) Barbero. (These are only ones named)
The writer has lived near these people since the year 1856. I have been at this home a great many times and was always treated kindly and can remember seeing this old lady using the cards and spinning wheel, preparing woolen clothing for the family to wear in the coming winter. R. M. R. (Galesburg Weekly Mail, October 1, 1903, submitted by Todd Walter)

Mrs. Mike Smith
Gilson - Mrs. Mike Smith, who was sick for several weeks, died at her home here Sunday. The funeral was held in the Methodist church Tuesday morning at 10 o'clock, Rev. Busby officiating. The remains were interred in the campground cemetery. (She was Mary Ellsworth Smith, buried in Clark Chapel Cemetery) (Galesburg Weekly Mail, Thursday, February 15, 1900, submitted by Todd Walter)

Sidney M. Smith

Death of Veteran.
Sidney M. Smith, of Galesburg, died Saturday at  the Watertown hospital, aged 51. Mr. Smith was a veteran of the civil war, and for 14 years was a member of the police department of Galesburg. In the fall of 1903 he began to fail, and after spending the winter with a sister in Tennessee was detained at the detention hospital at St. Louis while on his way home. He was sent to the soldiers' home at Quincy, but in November was removed to the Watertown hospital. For six weeks his life had been a blank. He knew no one and was unconscious the whole time. He is survived by two children. The funeral was held this afternoon from the Galesburg Presbyterian church. [Rock Island Argus (Rock Island, Ill.), January 09, 1905, Page 5]

Franklin Stanton

Franklin Stanton, formerly of this county, died on Saturday last at his home at Shenandoah, Iowa. Mr. and Mrs. Stanton lived for a number of years near what is now the village of Williamsfield. He was a member of Company C, 77th Illinois Volunteers, during the civil war, and was a prisoner during the latter part of the war. He was a member of the Andersonville War association, in addition to his membership in Post 45, G.A.R., of this city. Funeral services were conducted on Sunday at Shenandoah, in charge of the G.A.R. (Galesburg Plain Dealer, February 5, 1904, submitted by Todd Walter)

E. J. Steffen
Ernest J. Steffin, 81, died at his home at Appleton at 8 a.m. today. Funeral arrangements will be announced later. For further information, call the Klinck mortuary at Knoxville. [Note: Born in Bobsdorf Per Prob Stej Hagen Hatskin, Germany] (Galesburg's Register-Mail, November 23, 1940, contributed by Mike Osler)
Funeral services for Ernest J. Steffin, who died in his home at Appleton Saturday morning, will be held in the Klinck Funeral chapel here at 2 O’clock Tuesday afternoon and friends may call at the chapel this evening and Tuesday morning. Interment will be in the Westfall cemetery. (Galesburg's Daily Register-Mail, Monday, November 25, 1940, contributed by Mike Osler)

W. C. Stevenson
W. C. Stevenson, a resident of Knox county for many years, died at his home, 1458 E. Main street, Tuesday afternoon at 1:10 o'clock after an illness of a year's duration. Mr. Stevenson was, until nine years ago, a resident of Maquon and was widely known and highly repected in that section. He came to Galesburg in 1904 and has since made this city his home. He was born February 26, 1836, in Ohio and came to this state with his parents when a child settling in Maquon. He grew up in that community and engaged in the business of farming for many years. He is survived by his wife, and two children by a former marriage, E. V. Stevenson and Mrs. L. C. Reynolds of Maquon. He also leaves to mourn his death two brothers in Kansas. Mr. Stevenson was a member of the Methodist church in Maquon. Short funeral services will be held at the residence on Thursday morning at nine o'clock and the deceased will be taken to Maquon for burial. (He is buried in Cook Cemetery, Orange Twp.) (Galesburg Daily Republican Register, Wednesday, April 2, 1913, submitted by Todd Walter)

Grandmother Stidd, who has been sick all winter, died on Sunday afternoon, March 18. we have no means of getting particulars concerning her early life. Her maiden name was Martha Rockinhamer. She was born in Indiana, February 14, 1809. Was married to John Stidd, who departed this life in September 1898. They were the parents of Mrs. Phoebe Morse, Mrs. Millie Ann Morse and Mrs. Catherine Thurman, living and of the late Mrs. Samantha Dewitt. There is living in this vicinity four generations of the old couple. Grandmother Stidd was laid to rest in the Uniontown cemetery, Tuesday. (London Times, London Mills, Illinois, March 23, 1900, submitted by Todd Walter)

Mrs. Belle Storey
Mrs. Belle Storey, of 58 South Kellogg Street, who has been in the restaurant business here 17 years died suddenly at her home this morning at 3:15 o'clock from angina pectoris.
Mrs. Storey was apparently in excellent health recently. Friday evening she seemed to be feeling well but shortly after midnight she was taken violently ill and death followed two hours later.
She was born February 14, 1847, near Canton, residing in that community until 1900 when she came to this city to make her home. She was married to James Ballard in 1868 at Lewistown. Mr. Ballard died a number of years ago. She married again, this time to Roy L. Storey, the marriage taking place in August 1908. Mr. Storey died five years ago.
Surviving are two sons, Martin Ballard and P. W. Ballard, both of Galesburg. There are four grandchildren, and three great grandchildren. Mrs. Storey has owned and operated restaurants in Galesburg for 17 years. She was located on South Seminary St. for many years and recently at South Kellogg St.
Funeral Services are to be held Monday afternoon at 2:30 o'clock in the Horton, Hinchliff and Wilson Parlor with the Rev. Charles J. Brandy of the First Methodist Church in charge. Funeral will be made in Linwood Cemetery. (Galesburg Evening Mail, December 11, 1926, submitted by Karen Morlan)

James Sumner

Gary L. Sundell
Gary L. Sundell, age 60, of 704 West Monmouth Street, Abingdon, died at 11 a.m. Friday, April 21, 2000 at the Burlington Northern Santa Fe Railyard south of Galesburg. He was born Feb. 14, 1940 in Galesburg, the son of Carl W. and Doris Lenord Sundell. He married Shirley Engle Schisler on June 23, 1989 in Abingdon. She survives. Other survivors include four sons, Todd Sundell, Galesburg, Steve Otto, Orange County, Calif., Michael Schisler, Abingdon and Brian Schisler, New Orleans, Louisiana; two daughters, Kathy Smith, Peoria and Rhonda Watkins, London Mills; one brother, Robert W. Sundell, Abingdon; 12 grandchildren and 3 great-grandchildren. He was preceded in death by his parents. He had lived in Abingdon since 1989 and prior to that in Galesburg. He graduated from Galesburg High School. He was a switchman for Burlington Northern Santa Fe Railroad and had worked for the railroad for over 30 years. Funeral services were held at 11 a.m. Wednesday at Hinchliff-Pearson-West Chapel in Abingdon with Eleanor Landon officiating. Burial was in the Abingdon Cemetery. (Eagle Publications, April 27, 2000, submitted by Sara Hemp)

G. M. Swegle
General Marion Swegle died Sunday afternoon at the Galesburg Cottage Hospital, the result of a ____ _____ which first appeared last Dec. He was born near St. Augustine, IL Feb 10 1855 being about 71 years of age at the time of his death. During the early part of his life he came to a farm near Galesburg where he spent the greater part of his life until his retirement about five years ago. He married Mary Fisher at Abingdon on Sept 1884 and several children were born to this union. Swegle lived at the home of his daughter Mrs. Lucy Blair, 1388 Willard St. for the past five months until his demise.
In addition to his wife he is survived by two sisters, Mrs. W. S. Bradbury of Howard, S. Dakota and Mrs. Geo. Brown of Gleason Wis., seven children. Mrs. Bertha Bradbury of Thornhild, Canada; Mr. Alfred Swegle of Morecroft, Wyo; Mrs. Edith McBride of Whiting, IN.; Ira Swegle of this city, Mrs. Monnie Hasslinger of Baltimore, Maryland; Mrs. Lola Elliot of this city & Mrs. Lucy Blair of this city. In addition there are his surviving grand children, two half-sisters and one half-brother. Funeral announcements will be made later. (Galesburg Daily Register Mail, Aug. 27, 1928, page 2, col. 6, submitted by Karen Holt)

Timothy Newton Swegle
Timothy Newton Swegle was born in Illinois in Dec. 9 1856, died in his home in East Eureka, Thursday, Feb. 26, 1913, at 3:15 A.M. Dec 12, 1875. He was united in marriage to Almeda Brown in Galesburg, Illinois. They came west and located in Nebraska, where they lived twelve years, moving to Greenwood County, Kansas in 1889 and moved to Eureka last December. Four children were born to them, three daughters, Mary Gertrude (Fry), Loro Vento (Monnier) and Maude Inez (Rimmer), and a son Glen Darius Swegle, all of whom were present at his death. Also survived by two brothers and two sisters, G. M. Swegle, Res. Swegle and Mrs. Phoebe Brown of Galesburg, IL. who were present and Mrs. Alice Bradbury of Howard S.D. (Eureka Herald, March 6, 1913, submitted by Karen Holt)

Alex Taylor
RAPATEE -- On April 5th Alex Taylor fell off the new barn at James Young’s. He was paralyzed and while having the use of his mental faculties could not even feed himself and after two weeks of suffering he died, Friday, April 20. The funeral was held in Oakland school house at 10 a. m. Sunday, April 22, 1900. Rev Snedaker of Fairview in charge. Interment in Uniontown cemetery. (London Times, London Mills, Illinois, April 27, 1900, submitted by Todd Walter)

Alex Taylor died at his home on the Dikeman place, Friday. Funeral services at the Pepperville school house, Sunday. The remains were intered in the Uniontown cemetery. Mr. Taylor was working on a barn for Mr. Young when the accident occurred which caused his death. He was on a scaffold about eight feet high, falling backward on his head and shoulders causing paralysis from the chest down.

M. H. Taylor
M. H. Taylor died at his home in Fairview at six o'clock Thursday morning following an extended illness. He was born September 10, 1885, in Knox county the son of Ross and Euphemia (Brock) Taylor, and lived to be the last surviving member of a family of six children.
Mr. Taylor was married July, 1906, to Lottie Adams and she died in May, 1922. Two children of this marriage survive: Claude B. Taylor of Maquon and Velda Schneider of Louisville, Kentucky.
In 1926 he married Margaret Pierce and she survives with one child, Jane Taylor. A member of the Maquon Methodist church, he farmed most of his life around Rapatee and Maquon - having moved to Fairview upon retirement in 1944. Burial will be in Lyons Cemetery, north of Fairview. (Galesburg Paper 1949, submitted by Todd Walter)

Orval Taylor
DOUGLAS - Orval Taylor died while on the train approaching Denver, Colo., April 5, and was buried at Albany, Ind., on the 10th inst. He was about 23 years old. His father, Danforth A. Taylor, died in Douglas January 20, 1882, and his mother, Mrs. Katherine Taylor, lives at Albany. Consumption was the cause of his early death. He was well known here and his demise is much regretted by his young associates and friends. (Galesburg Weekly Republican Register, April 22, 1899, submitted by Todd Walter)

Ross Taylor
Ross Taylor an old resident of Yates City was suddenly stricken with heart failure while sitting in a chair in his home at 8 o'clock Tuesday evening, and before medical aid could be summoned he passed away. Mr. Taylor had been slightly ill for the past few days but his condition was not at all serious as he had been able to be up and about his usual work. Tuesday evening he did the chores, ate his supper, and fixed the furnace for the night, after which he sat down to rest. His head sank on his chest and without a word of warning the end came quickly and peacefully.
Mr. Taylor's death is a great shock to the community as he had resided in Yates City for the past 14 years and during that time had made many friends in that vicinity. He was born and raised near Rapatee and at the time of his death was a little over 73 years old.
He leaves to mourn his loss besides his wife, four children, Ralph and Fred Taylor of Yates City, Mrs. Foster, who lives south of Yates City, and Melvin Taylor of Rapatee. Two children, a daughter, Mrs. William Hughbanks, and a son, Elden, passed away a few years ago.
Funeral services will be held at the Methodist church Thursday at 2:00 o'clock in the afternoon. (Galesburg Daily Republican Register, January 17, 1917, submitted by Todd Walter)

Mrs. Ross Taylor
YATES CITY - Mrs. Ross Taylor passed away Monday noon at the home of her son, R. W. Taylor, at the age of sixty-six years. She was taken sick about a week ago. She leaves to mourn her loss, three sons. Her husband died two years ago. Her son, Ralph, lives on the farm home at Rapatee, and her son Fred has just been discharged from the army at Fort Dodge. One daughter, Mrs. Norman Foster, lives in Yates City. She also leaves five grandchildren. The funeral services will be held at the home of R. W. Taylor Thursday afternoon at 3 o'clock (Galesburg Evening Mail, January 28, 1919, submitted by Todd Walter)

Albert Thurman
Funeral services for Albert Thurman were held at the Christian Church at London Mills at 10 o'clock this morning.Burial was made at Bennington Cemetery. Mr. Thurman, who was a well known citizen of Hermon, died Sunday from complicationsfollowing the flu. He lived alone and had been in poor health for some time. [Galesburg Evening Mail, April 10, 1923 - Sub. by Todd Walter]

Annie Thurman

MAQUON - Aunt Annie Thurman, widow of the late Elisha Thurman, who was laid to rest in the Bennington cemetery in Maquon township on Dec. 30, was the first woman married in Maquon township. (Galesburg Weekly Republican Register, January 7, 1899, submitted by Todd Walter)

Ben Thurman
MAQUON - Mr. Ben Thurman, a farmer and old resident, 75 years of age died very suddenly at his home near Dahinda Monday afternoon of heart failure. Funeral services were held Wednesday at the Wolf church, interment in the Simkins cemetery. Mr. Thurman has many friends and relatives in and about Maquon as he was born and spent his entire life in this vicinity. (Galesburg Republican Register, May 16, 1913, submitted by Todd Walter) (He was a son of John G. and Dorothy Strange Thurman)

Chloe Thurman
Hermon - Miss Chloe Thurman died at the home of her grandfather, Luther Moats, at 7 o'clock Wednesday evening April 4, 1900. The funeral was held in the Christian church Friday at 2 o'clock. Age 12 years and a few months. Rev. Hunter officiated. (Galesburg Weekly Mail, Thursday, April 12, 1900, submitted by Todd Walter)

Elisha Thurman
Howard Thurman and son Lora of Hermon put up a monument to the graves of Elisha Thurmanand wife in the Bennington Cemetery this week. [Galesburg Daily RepublicanRegister, April 9, 1914 - Sub by Todd Walter]

Margaret Thurman
Margaret Thurman was born in Highland county, Ohio, Nov. 20, 1823, was the daughter of John G. and Dorothy Thurman, was married to Robert McWilliams August 10, 1841; emigrated to Illinois the same year; settled in Bennington and has remained in Maquon township since, she was the mother of ten children, nine of which survive her, six boys and four girls, one girl dying in infancy. There survive her 37 grandchildren, and 45 great grandchildren. Mrs. McWilliams was highly respected by the people of this community which was attested by the large concourse of people who attended her funeral. The services were conducted by Rev. Killip at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Edward Buck. Messrs. Norris and Walker and Mrs. Long and Mrs. Burnsides were the singers. The interment was in the Maquon cemetery. (Galesburg Weekly Mail, July 14, 1904, submitted by Todd Walter)

Martha Thurman
Martha, daughter of John G. and Dolly Strange Thurman was born in Ohio, February 6, 1835, died near Rapatee May 20, 1904. She came to Illinois with her parents in 1841; moved to Washington county, Iowa in 1854, where she was married to Peter Brown in 1855. They returned to Maquon township, Knox county, the next year where they have resided ever since. They worked together and at her death owned a nice little farm. They were the parents of six children, two having died in childhood; four are living, Elias J., of Hamilton county, Nebraska, Argilvia L., Rapatee, Irvin O., Middle Grove, and Mrs. Sylvia Bridgewater, Maquon; also three brothers, Isaac Thurman Sr., of Laura, Illinois, Benjamin and Pleasant Thurman, of near Dahinda, Illinois, and one sister, Mrs. Margaret McWilliams, a very old lady now near death's door, who lives with her son, Samuel, near Maquon. Mrs. Brown was laid to rest in the Walter's cemetery, west of Maquon where so many members of the old Thurman family sleep. Rev. J. T. Killip conducted the funeral. Singing by Rapatee choir. (Galesburg Gazette, May 27, 1904, submitted by Todd Walter)

Edward Tracy
Edward Tracy, aged 89, was burned to death in a fire that destroyed his home in Galesburg.  [Chicago Eagle., March 05, 1910, Page 9]

Tom Tripplett Dead
Succumbs to Pneumonia After Illness Dating Back Six Weeks
Thomas Watson Tripplett, a well-known colored character about the city, died last night at twelve o'clock at 847 West Berrien street after a six weeks' illness. The cause of his death was pneumonia. Three weeks ago he was taken to the hospital but later removed to the residence of Mrs. Tripplett, from whom he was divorced at the June term of court. Tripplett was a plasterer by trade but of late had worked as a laborer. He was born in Missouri but had lived here for a number of years. He is survived by one son, William. The funeral will be held Friday afternoon at two-thirty. Rev. Ferribee in charge. (Galesburg's Weekly Mail, December 28, 1905, contributed by Janet Durst)

John Turney
(Not the full obituary)
John Turney was born in Somerset county, Pennsylvania, August 23, 1816, and died at his home near Galesburg, Ill., January 24, 1899, aged 82 years, 6 months and 8 days.
His parents were Phillip and Sallie (Bird) Turney, natives of Pennsylvania and Virginia respectively. He was united in marriage to Miss Mary A. Ringer, September 19, 1836, at Blandinsville, Preston county, Va. They came to Illinois in 1854, where they have since lived. There have been eleven children born to this union, six of which, five sons and one daughter, have preceeded their father to the unseen world. Five sons and their mother are left to mourn his departure. (Galesburg Weekly Republican Register, February 4, 1899, submitted by Todd Walter)

Mrs. Edward Turpin
Mrs. Edward Turpin (colored) died at her home, 26 North Henderson, this morning after a long illness, aged 38 years. She was born in Galesburg the daughter of Mrs. M. A. Richardson. The mother died several years ago. She was a member of the Second Baptist church. Survivors are the husband, E. P. Turpin, three sisters, Mrs. Jerry Mason, Mrs. E. J. Skinner, Mrs. Ida Richardson, and two brothers, B. E. and F. W. Richardson. (Galesburg's Daily Mail, Wednesday, October 2, 1895, contributed by Janet Durst)

Mrs. Rachel Upp
Victoria - Mrs. Rachel Upp of Victoria died this morning at her home of heart trouble. She was born in New York in 1832 and has lived in Victoria for nearly 50 years. She is survived by two daughters, Mrs. Emma Hedstrom and Mrs. John Van Buren, both of Victoria, and a sister, Mrs. Maria Johnson of Galesburg. The funeral was held on Wednesday at 11 o'clock from the Methodist church. (Galesburg's Weekly Mail, Jan. 14, 1904, submitted by Todd Walter)

Mrs. Rachel Upp
Abingdon - Mrs. Rachel Upp passed away at her late residence, 103 North Jefferson street on Saturday evening at 6 o'clock.
Mrs. Upp had been in poor health for some time but had a stroke of paralysis two weeks ago from which she never fully recovered.
Funeral services will be held from the Congregational church Wednesday, July 8, at 2 o'clock. Interment will be in the Gilson cemetery. (Galesburg Evening Mail, Monday, July 6, 1925, pg. 10, contributed by Gayle from (Note: Rachel W. Curry was married to Henry T. Upp Nov. 10, 1867 in Highland Co., OH. She was born Dec. 10, 1843 in Huntingdon Co., PA, the daughter of James Curry and Hannah Armstrong. )

Elizabeth Veatch
Mrs. Wm. Veatch died at her home in this city Wednesday evening March 22 after a protracted illness. She was born in Harrison county, Indiana, August 30, 1826, her maiden name being Elizabeth Saffer. About 1836, her parents removed to Illinois, and settled near Astoria in Fulton county, and on May 17th she was married to William Veatch, who with six children survive her. They came to Abingdon in 1859. The children are: Mrs. Emma Lomax, Miss Adda Veatch, Miss Eda Veatch, Mrs. Jessie Barton and Mr. Arthur Veatch of Abingdon, and Mrs. Carrie Cleveland of Bushnell. Mrs. Veatch was conspiciously domestic in disposition, and was thoroughly attached and devoted to her husband and children. Her chief concern was the affairs of home, which was always bright with her benign bearing, and its appearance made pleasing by her motherly and tender adjustments. She was a thoroughly good woman, and was beloved and respected by all her neighbors. The family have much sympathy in their dire bereavement. (Abingdon Argus, Thursday, March 30, 1899, submitted by Todd Walter)

Jennie Vickery
Mrs. Jennie Vickery of New Market died last Friday night in the home of her daughter, Mrs. M. W. Campbell, in Rock Island, Ill. Funeral services were held in the Wetmore Funeral Home, Monday afternoon, conducted by the Rev. C. F. Smith, pastor of the Methodist church in New Market. Bedford chapter, Order of the Eastern Star, had charge of the ceremony in Fairview cemetery.
Jennie Barnard was born in Vermillion county, Indiana, Aug. 10, 1848. She was reared at Rio, Knox County, Ill., and there was married to Roger E. Vickery, Mar. 14, 1872. They resided at Elmwood, Ill., until 1881, when they moved to a farm in Dallas township in this county. They moved to Bedford when Mr. Vickery was elected sheriff 35 years ago, and returned to the farm in 1909. During the last two years Mrs. Vickery had been a resident of New Market. Mr. Vickery died January 05, 1927. Surviving are Roy E. Vickery of Grand Junction, Colo., son; Mrs. Nell Waterman, who came from Minneapolis three years ago to remain with her parents, Mrs. Ralph Burgess of Minneapolis, Mrs. M. W. Campbell of Rock Island, and Mrs. Oren Harris of San Bernardino, Calif, daughters. There are six grandchildren and one great grandchild.
Mrs. Vickery was a member of the Order of the Eastern Star and was active in work of the Woman's Relief Corps, Mr. Vickery having served in the Civil war in the Peoria battery of Illinois artillery. (The Bedford Times Republican, Bedford, IA, Thursday, June 06, 1929, Page 7, cols. 1-2, submitted by Linda Kestner)

Mrs. Walker

Mrs. Walker, mother of Mrs. W. Y. Fuld, died at the home of the latter, 7 Public Square, this morning after a longand painful illness. It was about two months ago she fell and dislocated her hip and since on the decline beingaged 80 years. She was one of the oldest residents of this city, having come here fifty years ago. She was thewife of Timothy Walker, one of the first city marshalls. He died nearly 30 years ago. She was a member of the Baptistchurch. Funeral will be Saturday from the church. (Galesburg's Daily-Mail,Thursday, March 28, 1895, contributed by Jan Durst)

Mrs. Catherine Wallace
Death Ended Her Suffering
Passing Away of Mrs. Catherine Wallace
Died Last Night After Lingering Illness From Asthma and Dropsy, Was Married Three Times and Survived All of Husbands
Mrs. Catherine Wallace, nee McKee, died at 9 o'clock last night at the house of her daughter, Mrs. Hattie Grayof 213 State street. A combination of asthma and dropsy was responsible for her taking off. She had been in declininghealth for upwards of a year, and at three different times underwent treatment at the two local hospitals.
The deceased had resided in Quincy off and on for twenty-four years or thereabouts. Several years ago she wentto Parsons, Kan., where she visited at the home of a son and six months or so later she proceded to San Francisco,Cal., where she has another son located. She remained in San Francisco about two years, thence returned to Parsonsand subsequently to Quincy. For the past seven months ever since her return, she has been making her home withMrs. Gray.
Mrs. Wallace was married three times and outlived all of her husbands. Her first helpmeet was James Howey[Jameswas her son, William M was her first husband]; the second a Mr. Chamberlain and the third, a Mr. Wallace. She issurvived by five children, three sons and two daughters, all of whom were born by the first marriage. The childrenare Mrs. Gray, at whose home she passed away; Mrs. Ella Garrick of Chicago; Edward Howey of Atika, Kansas; QuinbyHowey of Parsons, Kansas and William Howey of San Francisco. She also leaves three sisters and two brothers: Mrs.Jane Tate and Dr. Lucinda Howey, both of Bedford, Iowa; Mrs. Sarah Vance of Little Rock, Ark.; Edward R. McKeeof Memphis, Mo., and Ellick McKee, whose present whereabouts are unknown to Mrs. Gray.
E. R. McKee of Memphis, who is a circuit judge there, was summoned to this city by his sister's death, but wasobliged to go to Edina today to adjourn court. He will be back this evening and take the remains to Hendersonville.The body will be laid away at Hendersonville[Rice-Blue cemetery], which is a village near Galesburg, in a gravealongside the resting place of the first husband. The other two spouses are buried in this city. (Quincy's Daily Herald, June 6, 1904, contributed by Frank Conners)

Bowater S. Walter

Bowater S. Walter died at the home of his daughter, Mrs. James Clark, on Tuesday, April 29, at 5:30 p.m. Afflictedwith heart trouble for some time, which caused his demise, and illness since January so serious that he was confinedto his bed. At the mature age of 88 years, 7 months and 16 days, after a life of varied experiences, a life profitably spent, he passed on and his remains were laid to rest beside the grave of his wife who had preceded him some nineteenyears ago. Birthplace of Mr. Walter was in Harlan (sic, Highland) county, Ohio, but while still a youth he movedwith his parents to Illinois. It was here he grew to manhood and his marriage to Miss Darnell took place in Knoxcounty, Illinois. H was a veteran of the civil war, a member of the 86th Illinois Infantry and after a few monthsservice received injuries which rendered him unfit for further service and were of such permanent character asto prove a hindrance throughout his life.
Mr. Walter during his early life was a member of the Masonic Order. Coming to David City from Illinois at an earlydate, 1882, since which time with the exception of a few years spent on homestead land in Colorado, he had madethis city and Ulysses his home. Since the death of his companion he had lived with his children in David City andUlysses the last two years being spent in the Clark home.
The surviving children are Mrs. James Clark, Mrs. Louis Peschek, and Fred Walter of David City, William Walterof Denver, Colorado, Charles Walter of Los Aminos, Colorado, and J. W. Walter of Fort Collins, Colorado. A daughter,Mrs. Peter Benson died two years ago, and two children died in infancy. Nineteen grandchildren and twelve greatgrandchildren are living. And one brother Mr. Carey Walter, resides in Neosha, Missouri.
The funeral services were held on last Thursday afternoon, May 1, at 3:30 o'clock at the residence of James Clark.W. H. Thompson, pastor of the Christian church, conducted the services and a quartet composed of Guy Walling, HugoHahn and Mrs. Frank Sellhern and Miss Anna Eller gave the selections, "Jesus Savior Pilot Me", "Abide With Me", and "Rock of Ages" with Miss Phoebe Walden, organist.
The pallbearers were Joe Lichliter, Ike West, C. E. Bennison, Ed McCracken, John Slegger, Hamp J. Hall. Intermentwas in David City cemetery. (He was Bowater Sumner Walter a son of John W. and Hannah Sumner Walter) (People's Banner, David City, Nebraska, May 8, 1919, pg. 1, submitted by Todd Walter)

Carey Walter
Carey Walter, aged 83 years, died at 5 p.m. yesterday at his home, corner of McCord and High Streets. Funeral serviceswill be held at the home tomorrow afternoon at 4:30 o’clock and the remains to be taken to the old home of thefamily at David City, Nebraska, for interment. Deceased has been in poor health for several years and for the pastfew months had been confined to bed. (Neosho News, Neosho, Missouri, Sat.Aug. 2, 1919, submitted by Todd Walter)

Eliza Walter
Mrs. Eliza Walter was born in Knox county, Illinois, on the 9th day of Feb., 1837, and was married to B.S. Walter,her now bereaved husband, on the 2nd day of Feb., 1853. To this union there was born nine children, two of whomdied in early life. She moved with her husband and family to Butler county, Neb. in the fall of 1882, and residedon the same farm where the family now live, till the spring of 1887 when they moved to Colorado, remaining thereuntil the fall of 1897, when they came back to the present home. Mrs. Walter was at the time of her death, 63 yearsand 5 days old. Her maiden name was Darnell. Three of her brothers have preceded her to the worlds beyond. WilliamDarnell died at the age of 58, Joseph at the age of 67, and James at the age of 65 years, and one girl died ininfancy. The other brothers and sisters are still living, Sumner and Mrs. McKee in Butler county and the othersin different parts of the U.S. Her own children resides, two in David City, one in Denver, Col., and one near herhome, and the remaining three are at home. Mrs. Walter was a good wife, a kind mother and was loved by all whoknew her. She leaves a husband and seven children and a host of friends to mourn her loss. She was only ill aboutnine hours. Among some words spoken after she was taken sick were these: "I am going to heaven; I want himto come too."
Funeral services were held at the home of the deceased on Sunday at 10 o'clock, in the presence of a large numberof relatives and friends, by W. A. Baldwin of the Ulysses Christian church, after which the body was taken to theDavid City cemetery for interment. (Ulysses Dispatch, Ulysses, Nebraska,Feb. 28, 1900, pg. 3, submitted by Todd Walter)

Lyman Walter
Lyman Walter, oldest son of T. R. and Sarah J. Walter was born at the Walter homestead, three miles south of Maquonon November 9, 1862. Here in companionship of his brothers and sisters, he grew to manhood.
On December 19, 1888 he was united in marriage with Elizabeth Boynton. Three sons, Percy L., Cyrus D., and CarltonL., came to brighten this home.
His entire life was spent in the vicinity in which he was born except one year spent in Minnesota, he, with Bessand the boys settled on the old homestead where the remainder of his life was spent.
During his long illness he had the untiring love and devotion of his ever faithful wife, and devoted sons. Nothingthat loving hands and faithful hearts could do was left undone, but on Thursday evening, May 31, he quietly fellasleep. To mourn his passing, he leaves besides the widow and sons, two brothers, Ulysses of Maquon, Bert of Knoxvilleand three sisters, Mrs Vianna Adams of Peoria, Nora and Laura Walter of Galesburg and a host of other relativesand friends. He lived for those who loved him.
His first and every thought was for his wife and boys. His home was his sanctuary. He was a loyal neighbor, a truefriend, a manly man. With us he leaves a very beautiful memory.
Funeral services for Lyman T. Walter were held at the home, south of town, Saturday afternoon at 2:30 o'clock.The home was filled with sorrowing relatives and friends to pay their last tribute of respect to the deceased.
The services were in charge of the Rev. Ira E. Moats, who spoke words of comfort to the bereaved ones.
Many beautiful floral tributes were in evidence. Casket bearers were: H. I. Epley, D.S. Hartsook, F. C. Bearmore,Elmer
Dalton, M. A. Houfburg, and Wilbur Dalton.
Burial was made in the family lot in the Maquon cemetery.
Among those to attend the services from a distance were Mrs. Viana Adams of Peoria; the Misses Nora and Laura Walter,Mr. and Mrs. Leslie Woolsey, Mrs. Carson Woolsey of Galesburg, Mr. and Mrs. H. M. Shearer, Mr. and Mrs. N. G. Thurman,Mr. and Mrs. J. E. Shearer and daughters, Elma, Georgia, and Doris, E. V. Stevenson, Mr. and Mrs. B. E. Walterof Knoxville; Mr. and Mrs. Herman Brockelhurst of Yates City, Mr. and Mrs. Alva Kinser and daughter, Dorothy, ofPeoria.
(Maquon Tomahawk, Maquon, Illinois, Jun. 7, 1928, vol. 25 #23, submitted by Todd Walter)

Polly Ann Walters
Mrs. Polly Ann Walters was born in Ohio, June 19th, 1838 and died at Neosho, Missouri, March 29, 1927 aged 88 years,9 months and 10 days. She was united in marriage to R. C. Walter and to this union was born two children, one sonand one daughter. Mr. Walter and the son preceded Mrs. Walters by a few years to the other world. The daughter,Mrs. Elvira Barker remains to mourn her mother’s death. There are also three grandsons and four great grandchildren.
Deceased has been a member of the M. E. church all her life, uniting in David City in 1888.
The body, accompanied by Mrs. Barker was brought to David City and funeral services were conducted from McVay’sfuneral parlors on Friday, April 1st at 2:30.
Burial was by the side of the deceased husband in the David City cemetery. (She was Polly Ann Hall) (People's Banner, David City, Butler Co. Nebraska, Thurs., Apr. 7, 1927, submitted by Todd Walter)

R.W. Walters
The body of R. C. Walters was brought here Monday night for burial in the David City cemetery. In the early daysof David City R. C. Walters was a familiar figure here and was well known. About twelve years ago the family movedfrom here to University Place and from there to Neosho, Missouri where they have lived for the past seven years.Mr. Walters had been in poor health for a long time. At the time of his death he was 83 years of age.
The remains were accompanied here by his wife, Mr. and Mrs. C. I. J. Barker and two sons Kay and Don. Funeral serviceswere held from the Coe funeral parlors Tuesday afternoon, conducted by Rev. Richards of the Congregational Church.
Besides his wife and daughter, Mrs. Barker, he leaves several nephews and nieces, several of whom live in or nearDavid City. (People's Banner, David City, Butler Co., Nebraska, Thursday,August 7, 1919, submitted by Todd Walter) (Note: He was Richeson Carey Walter bornnear Maquon to John W. and Hannah Sumner Walter)

J. H. Washington
J. H. Washington (colored) died this morning at the home of Matt Searles, 313 West First, aged 70 years. He hadbeen sick a long time with a complication of diseases. He had been a resident of this city for many years, andcook at the Depot dining hall. He was a member of the Masonic fraternity and members had charge of the funeral.One daughter survives him, his wife died several years ago. (Galesburg'sDaily-Mail, Wednesday, October 2, 1895, contributed by Jan Durst)

Merwin Webber
Yates City – Merwin C. Webber, 69 of Yates City, died Thursday at Cottage Hospital in Galesburg. He was born June2, 1893 in Monica, a son of Henry and Susan Shane Webber. He married Lela Kay, March 27, 1912.
Surviving are his wife; two children, Mrs. Charlotte Bingamon of Peoria and Ronald Webber of Yates City; five grandchildrenand two great-grandchildren; a brother Orville of Santa Fe, N.M.; and a sister Miss Edith Webber of Pontiac.
Mr. Webber had lived at his Yates City Home for 50 years. He was a member of Yates City Methodist Church. He wasa past master of Masonic Lodge No. 448 here, a member of Royal Arch Masons No. 98 and past patron of Yates CityEastern Star Chapter 256. He was Salem Township supervisor for 16 years.
Funeral services will be at 2:00 p.m. Sunday at the Patterson Funeral Home in Elmwood. Burial will be in YatesCity Cemetery. Visitation will be at the funeral home after 5 p.m. Saturday. Masonic services will be help thereat 8:00 p.m. Saturday. (unknown newspaper and date, contributed by SandyMacDonald)

Kyle B. Wehrly
Army Staff Sgt. Kyle B. Wehrly, 28, Galesburg, Illinois; Ashraf, Iraq
Sgt. 1st Class Kyle B. Wehrly, 28, of 218 Duffield Ave. died at 1 a.m. Thursday, November 3, 2005, in Ashraf, Iraq.He was born October 4, 1977, in Nashville, Ill., the son of Peter J. and Nita Louise Gardner Wehrly. He marriedJanet Kay Hays on May 8, 1999, in Galesburg. She survives. Also surviving are his daughter, Kylee Kay Wehrly athome; his father, the Rev. Peter (and Susie Miester) Wehrly of Springfield, Illinois; his mother, Nita (and Rick)Cross of Dubuque, Iowa; grandmothers, Betty Gardner of Macomb, Illinois, and June Wehrly of Godfrey, Illinois;a brother, Lance J. Wehrly of New Orleans; and three sisters, Victoria Wehrly, Jaquita Wehrly and Shana Wehrly,all of Springfield. He had worked at Lowe's in Galesburg. He joined the Illinois Army National Guard on September28, 1995, and was a part of Charlie Battery, 2nd Battalion, 123rd Field Artillery. He was the recipient of theBronze Star Medal, Purple Heart, Army Achievement Medal, Army Good Conduct Medal, Army Reserve Components AchievementMedal (4th Award), National Defense Service Medal, Iraq Campaign Medal, Global War on Terrorism Service Medal,Armed Forces Service Medal, Armed Forces Reserve Medal (1st Award with "M" device), NCO ProfessionalDevelopment Ribbon (with numeral 3), Army Service Ribbon, Ill. Long and Honorable Service Medal (2nd Award), Ill.Military Attendance Ribbon (5th Award), Ill. State Active Duty Ribbon, Army Combat Action Badge, Expert Rifle Badge,Expert Pistol Badge and Expert Field Artillery Badge. He graduated from Galesburg High School in 1996 and attendedSpoon River Community College and Carl Sandburg College. He was a member of Bethel Baptist Church in Galesburg.Kyle was a loving husband, father and son. He had refereed for soccer with the Illinois High School Association.He loved softball, hunting, fishing, golfing, tennis, and woodworking. Funeral services will be at 1 p.m. Tuesday,November 15, 2005, in Bethel Baptist Church, corner of Fremont and Academy streets in Galesburg. The Revs. LeeJohnson and Kirk Kendall will officiate. Visitation will be from 5 to 8 p.m. Monday, November 14, 2005, at thechurch. Burial will be in East Linwood Cemetery with military rites by the Illinois Army National Guard Honor Guard.[Peoria Journal Star, 11/10/2005 - DR - Sub. by FoFG]

Mrs. Genie West
Mrs. Genie West died at her home three or four miles west of Maquon, Saturday morning, May 21, 1904. She was the daughter of Mike Smith and wife of Ned Smith. She was the mother of three children, two daughters and a son, theolder daughter preceded her mother to the better land about two years ago. The funeral service was held at thehome Monday at 10 o'clock, conducted by Rev. J.T. McKillip. She was a consistent Christian woman and loved by verymany warm friends. Her remains were laid to rest in the Simkins cemetery. (GalesburgGazette, May 27, 1904, submitted by Todd Walter)

Harry W. Whalin
GALESBURG - Harry W. Whalin, 85, 203 Day St., died today at 2:39 a.m. at Galesburg Cottage Hospital.
He was born in Mystic, Iowa, March 15, 1896. He married Marvel Moorman in Centerville, Iowa, June 6, 1921. Shedied in 1978.
Surviving are one daughter, Betty Botruff of Galesburg; five grand­children; and 16 great-grandchildren. Hewas a Burlington-Northern Rail­road conductor for 31 years, retiring in 1961. He was a member of First ChristianChurch, Alpha Lodge 155 and the United Transportation Union.
Funeral will be Monday at 1:30 p.m. at Hinchliff-Pearson-West Chapel. Burial will be in Oak Lawn Memorial Gardens.Friends may call Sunday from 7 to 8:30 p.m. at the chapel. Masonic services are at 8 p.m.
Memorials may be made to the First Christian Church or Helen and Mead's Retiree Hotel, the family said. (Galesburg's Register-Mail, February ?, 1982, contributed by Helen Anderson)

Marvel Whalin
Mrs. Harry (Marvel) Whalin, 74, of 203 Day St., died Thursday, at 4:l0 p.m. at Cottage Hospital.
The former Marvel Moorman was born May 30, 1903 in Mystic, Iowa, and married Harry Whalin on June 6, 1921 in Centerville,Iowa.
He survives with a daughter, Mrs. Russell (Betty) Botruff, Galesburg; two brothers, Willard Whalin, Barstow, Calif.,and Dean Whalin, Rockford; a sister, Mrs. Ruth Decker, Rockford; four grandchildren and eight great-grandchildren.
Mrs. Whalin was a member of the First Christian Church and the Eagles Auxiliary.
Funeral service will be Monday at 3 p.m. at Hinchliff-Pearson-West Chapel where friends may call Sunday from 7-8:30p.m. An Eagles Auxiliary service will be conducted at 7:30. Rev. J. T. Moore will officiate. Burial will be inOak Lawn Memorial Gardens. Memorials may be made to the American Cancer Society or to the church, the family said.(Galesburg's Register-Mail, January ?, 1978, contributed by Helen Anderson)

Mrs. Mary Ann Whalen
Mrs. Mary Ann (Polly) Whalen, 91, of 219 S. Chambers St., died Saturday at 1:30 p. m. at the Knox County NursingHome, Knoxville.
Funeral rites will be held Tuesday at 1:30 p. m. in the First and Puckett Funeral Home, where friends may calltonight. Burial will be in the Oak Lawn Memorial Gardens.
Mrs. Whalen had been ill four years. She was born May 17, 1868, in Colchester, and lived in Galesburg 28 years.She was married to Patrick Whalen in 1890 in Mystic, Iowa, and he died in 1928.
She was a member of the Mystic Christian Church, and Women's Relief Corps.
Survivors are a son Harry of Galesburg; two daughters, Mrs. George (Lera) Lawton, Avon, and Mrs. E. C. (Doris)McCants, Galesburg; three brothers, Ed Booth, Rivergrove, Weaver and Tom Booth, of Mystic; seven grandchildrenand 13 great-grandchildren.
She also was preceded in death by three brothers and five sisters.
(Galesburg's Register-Mail, February ?, 1960, contributed by Helen Anderson)

Mrs. Aaron Wier
MAQUON - The remains of Mrs. Aaron Wier, which were buried thirty years ago in the Cook grave yard, were exhumedthis week and placed beside her husband in the Maquon cemetery (GalesburgWeekly Mail, July 14, 1904, submitted by Todd Walter)

Mrs. Nancy Wilkin
Maquon - Death has come again into our midst and claimed another soul who has travelled life's uneven path 76 years, in the form of Mrs. Nancy Wilkin, beloved wife of James Wilkin. For 58 years this couple had lived together in peace and contentment, sharing the sorrows and joys of the world alike. Mrs. Wilkins had been in ailing health for some time, and death relieved her of her great suffering Sunday evening, October 21. The funeral services were held at the housh Tuesday afternoon, conducted by Rev. N. G. Clark, after which the remains were interred in the Simkins Cemetery. There survive her, her aged husband and two sons, John F. of London Mills and Lycurgus of this place. (Galesburg Weekly Mail, October 25, 1900, submitted by Todd Walter)

Infant son of N.J. Wilkins
Funeral services for the infant son of Mr. and Mrs. N. J. Wilkinsof East Galesburg were held Sunday morning at 10 o'clock. Burial was in Linwood cemetery. (Galesburg's Evening Mail, March 13, 1922, contributed by Janet Durst)

Daniel Williams

(1782 CT - 22 DEC 1842 IL )
"In Galesburg, Knox county, Ill. on the 22d ult., of inflamation of the lungs, Mr. DANIEL WILLIAMS, in the60th year of his age. *handwritten "1842"*
Mr. Williams was born in Connecticut, and came with his father, deacon Asahel Williams, to Exeter, Otsego county,N.Y., who is supposed still to reside there at the advanced age of nearly 90 years. Mr. Williams married Miss MarthaMorse, of Burlington, Otsego county, N. York, and soon after removed to the town of Russia, Herkimer county, thena new country, where he continued to reside until he came to Illinois in the summer of 1839. Mr. Williams was distinguishedfor sound judgment and independence of mind. By his enterprise, industry, and frugal habits, he arose to comparativewealth; and his upright and moral deportment secured for him general respect and confidence.
Though not until recently a professor of religion, he always maintained a high regard for religious institutions,took a lively
interest in sustaining a preached gospel in his town, and made his home the home of ministers and religious people.The influence of his early education was shown, not only in these respects, but also in the fact that he was oftenthe subject of religious impressions. But it was not till the year 1840 in a revival in Galesburg, that he trulyembraced the Saviour as he thought, and came out on the side of the Lord. He soon after united with the visiblechurch, erected the family alter, and walked in the ordinances of the Lord. For the last year his firm health andvigorous constitution had been somewhat impaired by an aflection of the lungs. He attended very assiduously uponhis daughter, Mrs. Gale, during her illness, and for the last two nights she was with us he took no rest. Mrs.Gale died about six o'clock on Sabbath evening, Dec. 11th. After her death he returned with Mrs. Williams to hishome under deep affliction. During the night he was seized with a chill, which was soon followed by signs of delirium.His disease proved to be an inflammation of the lungs, which no remedies could remove. He was apprehensive fromthe commencement, that it would be his last sickness, and he made arrangement of his worldly affairs accordingly.--
His mind was composed in view of death; and as the world receded, and his eyes rested more steadfastly upon therealities of the future, the manifestations of his faith and hope were more interesting. The glories of the Saviour,and the spiritual interests of others, occupied both his lucid and wandering moments during the last hours of hislife.
For the righteous who thus die in hope, we need not mourn; but the loss of surviving friends is a demand upon oursympathy and prayers. In this case especially will this demand, in behalf of the aged and infirm widow and a littlegrand-daughter, who remain to occupy that house alone, after two such bereavements, not fail to be appreciatedby their numerous christian friends.-- [Communicated.]" (published inJAN 1843 - unknown newspaper or periodical, cut out & pasted into the Williams family Bible, now in possession(2003) of Richard Williams BURKE of St. Louis, Mo., courtesy of Dan Rathbun, submitted by Pat Thomas)

[* Notes by Dan Rathbun, transcriber, June 2003 ]

* the "little grand-daughter" refers to Martha Williams COON, dau of Dr. David COON Jr (b 1802 died 29JAN 1834 Russia NY) & Esther (WILLIAMS) COON-GALE (d 11 DEC 1842 Galesburg, IL). Martha was born at Russia,Herkimer Co., NY circa 1832; living in 1880 census at Chicago, Cook Co., IL [Film T9-199, pg 281B] Martha WilliamsCOON married 13 JUN 1857 at Galesburg, IL to Thomas Scott PHILLIPS, b Phillipsburg, Orange Co., NY on 14 SEP 1823;and he died at Chicago, IL on 21 APR 1886. He was son of William & Sarah (EVERTSON) PHILLIPS. Martha &Thomas had 2 daus in their home in 1880 census, viz: Harriet G., b IL 1862/63; Bertha, b IL 1870/71.

* Daniel WILLIAMS, of whom is the subject of the above obituary, is found in the US Federal Census at Russia, HerkimerCo., NY for the years, 1810, 1820, 1830. He removed to Galesburg, Knox Co., IL in 1839 and found in the US Federalcensus there for the year 1840. His widowed daughter Esther and her daughter Martha Williams COON went with him& his wife Martha (MORSE) to Galesburg. Esther married there (2nd) to Rev. George Washington GALE (as his 2ndwife) 14 SEP 1840. George & Esther had 1 son, Henry Williams GALE, b 1841 d 1842.

* Daniel WILLIAMS - family group
Daniel, b. __ ___ 1782 in/near Lebanon, New London Co., CT
son of Asahel WILLIAMS & Esther DEWEY.
married __ ___ 180_, Burlington, Otsego Co., NY, to
Martha MORSE, b. __ ___ 1785, Preston, New London Co., CT
dau of ?? STEPHEN MORSE & Lydia BROWN ??
Daniel & Martha WILLIAMS rem to Russia, Herkimer Co., NY
and had:

i. Esther WILLIAMS, b. Russia, NY, 8 DEC 1809
m(1): David COON Jr., M.D. m(2) Rev. George W. GALE
ii. Sherman WILLIAMS, b. Russia, NY, 15 APR 1811
d. Lincoln, Dallas Co., IA, 6 JUN 1885; bur Galesburg, IL
died at home of son Daniel S. & "Belle" (MOTT) WILLIAMS
m. North Stonington, New London Co., CT, 18 OCT 1831
to Sarah Manwaring BRADLEY (6 MAY 1807-12 MAR 1888)
iii. Ann WILLIAMS, b. & d. Russia, NY (aged 18 months)
iv. Mary Ann WILLIAMS, b. Russia, NY, __ JUN 1818
died at Russia, NY, __ JUN 1832

1842 DEC 22 - Daniel WILLIAMS died at Galesburg, Knox Co., IL
1849 MAR 1 - Martha (MORSE) WILLIAMS died at Galesburg, IL

Harry W. Williams
The funeral of Harry W. Williams, who died at Galesburg, Ill., February 22, was held at the Congregational church, Friday afternoon, Rev. Hervey Gulick officiating.  Mrs. J.H. Fletcher and Mrs. J.H. Howe sang "The Christian's Goodnight" and "Welcome Home"  the bearers were three cousins, Wade Walker, Linus Payne and Stanley Converse and Hubert Norton, Alanson Sunderland and Harold Payne.  The floral tributes were many and beautiful.  Those from out of town to attend the funeral were Mrs. Georgiana Williams, his mother, and C.F. Boyce of Galesburg, Ill, who accompanied the body here, W.C. Finnessy and Stanley Converse of Burlington and Mr. and Mrs. V.M. Benedict of New Haven.

Card of Thanks
I desire to express my sincere thanks to the friends and neighbors for the sympathy and kindness shown me during my recent bereavement; also for the many floral tributes and service of song. Mrs. Georgiana Williams  [Middlebury Register (Middlebury, Vt.), March 05, 1920]

John Wolf
MAQUON - John Wolf who has been in and out of Maquon during the last fifteen years died Saturday of consumption.He was standing in the restaurant of Tom Longwell's when he was taken with a hemorrage. He immediately left thereand went to the drug store where he lived but a few moments. He had been very pooly all fall but kept up to thevery last. The funeral services were held in the Methodist church Sunday afternoon conducted by Rev. D.T. WilsonThe circumstances connected with his death were quite sad. The deceased had no relatives or near ones present toadminister to his wants in his last days. However he had many friends who were kind to him, showed him kindly respectand gave him a nice Christian burial. The funeral services were largely attended. (GalesburgWeekly Mail, Dec 14, 1899, submitted by Todd Walter)

Emma Wood
WATAGA - The funeral services of Miss Emma Wood were held in the Congregational church at 10:30 a.m. Monday, January2. Rev. Mr. Bedford, assisted by Rev. Mr. Smith, conducted the services. A large number of friends and relativesfrom Galesburg were present. (Galesburg Weekly Republican Register, January7, 1899, submitted by Todd Walter)

Mary Catherine Woods
Rapatee, March 15 -- Funeral Services for Miss Mary Catherine Woods, 77, who died at her home here March 9, wereheld in the home Sunday afternoon..... Mary Catherine Woods, only daughter of Tobias and Mary Henderson Woods,was born May 23, 1861, in Allegheny county, Pennsylvania. She was the seventh child of a family of nine children,all having preceded her in death. She came to Illinois with her parents and brothers in 1867, and settled on afarm near Maquon. In March 1892, they moved to Rapatee, where her brother took charge of the grain elevator. (Unknown newspaper, March, 1939, submitted by Todd Walter)

Infant of Chauncey D. Woolsey
Maquon - The infant child of Mr. and Mrs. Chauncey D. Woolsey died at the home of it's parents, west of Maquon,Monday, October 22, aged six weeks. Mr. Woolsey was in LaPorte, Texas, and the funeral service will not be helduntil his return, which is expected today (Thursday). (Galesburg Weekly Mail,October 25, 1900, submitted by Todd Walter)

Richard Worthington
Last Services Held Sunday
Impressive Funeral for the Late Richard Worthington at the Residence.
The funeral services of the late Richard Worthington were held at the family residence, 1064 North Academy Street,at three p.m. Sunday. The house was filled with kindly, sympathizing friends. The casket was covered with beautifulfloral offerings, many lovely bouquets were scattered about the room and surrounding the casket on the floor, provingthe esteem in which the deceased was held by neighbors and friends. Rev. Moore of the A. M. E. church had chargeof the services. He read appropriate scriptural selections, and pronounced a touching eulogy upon the merits andchristian life of the deceased, lauding him as a citizen and soldier, as a friend sincere in his friendships, havinglived a life free from all harm, a credit to his race and the community.
A large squad of the comrades of Post 45 G. A. R. were present, and after the ritualistic services of the G. A.R. were rendered in the home, Commander C. E. Lanstrum officiating assisted by the comrades. "Asleep in Jesus,""Amazing Grace" and "No Night There" were rendered by Mrs. L. C. Carter, Mrs. Balder, L. C.Carter, Jr., and Harold Carter, with Mrs. S. Hazel as organist. The pall bearers were Jessie Hazel, George McAtee,James Raney, J. Johnson, W. Davis, and S. Harper, all members of Post 45.
From a distance were Mrs. Rhoda Shaw of Peoria, a sister of Mrs. Worthington, and Dr. A. L. Herron, of Milwaukee,an intimate friend of the deceased. [Mr. Worthington was buried in Hope Cemetery in Galesburg. ] (Galesburg's Daily Republican-Register, Mon. eve., June 27, 1910, contributed by Janet Durst)

Edward J. Wyman
A Prominent Citizen of Persifer Township is Dead -- Was Long a Supervisor.
News was received here today of the death of Edward J. Wyman [Feb. 3, 1903], a prominent farmer in Persifer townshipand having an extensive acquaintance in the northland. Mr. Wyman was seventy years old. He was born in Vinton county,Ohio, January 10th, 1833, and was the son of Arthur and Anna Salts Wyman. The parents settled in Persifer townshipin 1853, where Mr. Wyman has since lived. He was married in 1858 to Susan E. Bradford. Mr. Wyman served as supervisorfrom this township for seven years, and at various times was constable, assessor, collector, and township treasurer.He was a member of the United Brethren church. (Galesburg's Register-Mail,Tuesday, Feb. 3, 1903, contributed by Mike Osler)

John Wyman
WYMAN- JOHN, one of the old and respected residents of Persifer Twp., died last Sunday [Jan. 3, 1904]. Last summerhe met with an accident that produced a paralyzed shoulder and he began from that time to decline. He was aged72 years and lived in the township for 50 or more years. He acquired a large property. He left a wife and six children.Funeral was held last Thursday afternoon in Maxey Chapel. Rev. Rist of Gilson in charge. Burial in Westfall Cemetery.(Galesburg's Republican, Jan. 7, 1904, contributed by Mike Osler)

Genealogy Trails History Group

Copyright ©Genealogy Trails