The town of Earl embraces the Congressional Township 36 North, of Range 3. It is the centre town on the north line of the county. Indian creek enters the town near the middle on the north, runs southwest to Section 19, and then southeast, having a fine growth of timber along most of its course. It was settled quite sparsely along its banks commencing in 1834, until, in 1853, the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy Railroad was built through the town after which the influx of population was rapid.
[Source: History of LaSalle County, Illinois by Elmer Baldwin, Chicago, Rand, McNally & Co., Printers, 1877, SKETCH OF THE PIONEER SETTLERS OF EACH TOWN IN THE COUNTY, Earl, Page 429-430 - Transcribed by Nancy Piper]