The town of Serena embraces Township 35, Range 4, and about three additional sections of T. 35, R. 5, which lie on the west side of Fox river. Indian creek runs nearly across the township and is intersected by its principal branch, the Little Indian, on Section 16. There was much good timber along those streams, and consequently settlements commenced at an early date. The plentiful supply of timber, with rolling, rich prairie, made it a desirable location. There were several saw-mills on the creek at an early day, and two or three flouring mills have been added since.
Settlements commenced in 1831, and settlers came in rapidly after the close of the Indian troubles, in 1833. Robert Baresford was the first, in 1831, and the Warrens, Alva O. Smith, Daniel Blake and others in 1833.
The Fox River Railroad runs through the east part of the town, with a depot nearly central, which brings a market to the doors of the people who settled in an inland town.
[Source: History of LaSalle County, Illinois by Elmer Baldwin, Chicago, Rand, McNally & Co., Printers, 1877, SKETCH OF THE PIONEER SETTLERS OF EACH TOWN IN THE COUNTY, Serena, Page 435-436 - Transcribed by Nancy Piper]