Biography

Lee County Illinois

Bar

CHARLES A. NICHOLS

Among the valued and representative native sons of Lee county is numbered Charles A. Nichols, whose fine farm of one hundred and twenty acres lies on section 6, May township, and is a visible evidence of his life of industry and thrift. He was born August 1, 1860, and is a son of Henry and Eva (Barns) Nichols, the former of whom came to Lee county from New York state, settling first in Binghamton. From there he enlisted in the Union army for service in the Civil war and after his discharge he returned to this part of Illinois, turning his attention to farming. He bought a tract of raw prairie land and for many years thereafter developed and improved it, making it eventually one of the finest properties in the locality. He passed away in 1896 and was survived by his wife for two years. Both are buried in Prairie Repose cemetery. The family is of Scotch and German origin and its representatives settled in Canada before coming to the United States.

Charles A. Nichols acquired his education in the district schools of Lee county, attending until he was eighteen years of age. He afterward assisted his father with the work of the farm until he was twenty-one and then rented one hundred acres of the homestead. He later inherited this tract, to which he has since added twenty acres, and upon this fine property he engages in general farming and stock-raising. Under his able management his interests have become extensive and important and he has taken a place among the substantial and representative farmers of his native county.

In May township, December 31, 1885, Mr. Nichols was united in marriage to Miss Mary E. Acker, a daughter of Jeremiah and Lucy Acker, the former for many years a prominent farmer of Lee county. Both have passed away and are buried in Prairie Repose cemetery. Mr. and Mrs. Nichols have become the parents of four children: E.A., a farmer in Lee county; R.C, assisting his father; Eva L., at home; and Mabel E., attending school.

Mr. Nichols is connected fraternally with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and his political allegiance is given to the republican party. For the past five years he has been justice of the peace and he has been a member of the school board for fifteen years, the cause of education finding in him an earnest and able champion. Mr. Nichols is well known in his part of Lee county and in all relations of life has proved upright, capable and straightforward.

Transcribed by Karen Holt - 1914 History of Lee County Illinois Vol 2 by Frank E. Stevens

Lee Co Bios Home