Lee County Biography

CHARLES W. ROSS


Charles W. Ross, owning and operating a farm of one hundred and ninety-two acres in Bradford and Amboy townships, was born on this property February 22,1870. He is a son of William and Elizabeth (Aschenbrenner) Ross, natives of Germany, who came to America in the '50s. The father at first worked as a farm laborer and later purchased land in Lee county, where he resided until his death. He and his wife became the parents of six children, of whom five are yet living.

Charles W. Ross was reared upon his father's farm in Bradford township and acquired his education in the public schools. When he was twenty-one years of age he rented the homestead and later bought the property, whereon he still resides. The farm comprises one hundred and ninety-two acres and is well equipped in every particular, provided with substantial buildings and modern machinery. Mr. Ross is a progressive and able agriculturist and has made some substantial contributions to farming interests of this locality. In addition to his home farm he owns three hundred and twenty acres of excellent land in Poeahontas county, Iowa.

In 1905 Mr. Ross was united in marriage to Miss Anna Brewer, a native of Lee county, Illinois, and a daughter of G. W. and Mary (Ford) Brewer, residents of Lee Center. Mr. and Mrs. Ross are members of the Congregational church and Mr. Ross is connected fraternally with Lee Center Lodge, No. 146, A. F. & A. M., and with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows. He gives his political allegiance to the republican party. He served for ten years as township assessor, but at present his attention is centered upon the management of his business interests, in which he is meeting with gratifying and well deserved success.

History of Lee County 1914 by Frank E. Stevens

Bar

Back Home