Biography

Lee County Illinois

Bar

WILLIAM A. SCHULER

William A. Schuler, a member of the local board of improvements and street commissioners, has ever manifested a practical and helpful interest in matters of public concern. At the same time he has ably and successfully conducted important business affairs and is the owner of much valuable property in and near Dixon, from which he derives a substantial income, his capable management thereof being manifest in the success which has rewarded his efforts. He was born in Ottawa, Illinois, March 25, 1856, and is a son of George L. and Tressa (Munn) Schuler, the former a native of Lancaster, Pennsylvania, The father came to Illinois on the same train on which Potter Palmer, the noted hotel man of Chicago, made his first trip to the west, and they became acquainted while enroute. George L. Schuler made his way to Ottawa, where he engaged in the hardware business, and later was located for a time at Reading, Illinois. The year 1861 witnessed his arrival in Dixon, where he engaged in the dry-goods trade, purchasing a store of Judge Wood. Here he continued in business until his death, which occurred in 1895, and throughout the entire period, covering more than a third of a century, ranked as one of the leading and enterprising merchants of the city, being possessed of those traits and qualities which work for progress and honor in business life. His widow survived him for about fifteen years, passing away in 1910. In politics Mr. Schuler was a democrat, active in the party ranks, and his cooperation could always be counted upon to further any movement having to do with civic betterment or improvement.

William A. Schuler was a lad of but five years when brought by his parents to Dixon, so that he had the advantages of training in the public schools here. When his school days were over he went to southwestern Kansas, where he was engaged in the cattle business. At one time he was also connected with the dry goods business at Streator, Illinois, for five years. About 1895 he returned to Dixon, where he established and conducted a lumberyard, finding it a profitable source of income, owing to his capable management and keen business discrimination. From that time forward he has been closely connected with the development and improvement of the city along material lines and all of his investments have been made judiciously, bringing to him a very gratifying measure of success. In 1910 he erected the Dixon Inn, one of the leading hotels of the city, which he conducted successfully until the spring of 1913, making it a popular and well patronized hostelry. He sold out at the date mentioned and is now giving his attention to the supervision of his investments and to his public duties. He owns several farms and city buildings and from his realty derives a substantial annual income.

In January, 1895, Mr. Schuler was united in marriage to Miss Amelia Elizabeth DeMint and unto them have been born three sons, while by a former marriage Mr. Schuler also has one son. Mrs. Schuler is a daughter of Charles DeMint, one of the oldtime and prominent residents of Dixon. In his fraternal relations Mr. Schuler is an Elk, while his political allegiance is given to the democratic party. He has always been interested in matters relating to the general welfare, and his cooperation can always be counted upon to further the public good. He is a member of the local board of improvements and street commissioners and is keenly interested in all of those things which are a matter of civic virtue and civic pride. What he has accomplished in a busy life represents the fit utilization of the innate talents which are his and proves that success is not a matter of genius, as held by some, but is rather the outcome of clear judgment and experience.

Transcribed by Karen Holt - 1914 History of Lee County Illinois Vol 2 by Frank E. Stevens

Lee Co Bios Home