Lee County Biography

ROBERT H. SCOTT


Dixon has always been distinguished for the high rank of her bar, and among those who have been factors in maintaining this reputation is Judge Robert H. Scott, who since 1902 has served upon the bench and will continue as county judge until 1914. Appointed to fill a vacancy, he has been three times elected to the office and his decisions indicate strong mentality, careful analysis, a thorough knowledge of the law and unbiased judgment. His history stands in contradiction to the old adage that a prophet is not without honor save in his own country, for Judge Scott is a native son of Lee county, where he has been called to high judicial place and power. His birth occurred in Marion township in 1871, his parents being Robert and Ruth (Fairman) Scott, who were farming people of this part of the state. The usual experiences of the farm boy came to Judge Scott in his youth and his early education was acquired in the public schools. He afterward entered Dixon College and was graduated on the completion of the teacher's course. He also attended business college and the Dixon College of Elocution, and then, in preparation for a professional career, began a course in the Dixon College of Law, which in due time he completed by graduation. In January, 1896, he was admitted to the bar and at once entered upon active practice, which claimed his attention until August, 1902, when he was appointed to fill a vacancy on the county bench. The following November he was elected to the office for a four years' term and again in 1906 and 1910, so that he will remain the incumbent until 1914. He is a man of well balanced intellect, thoroughly familiar with the law and practice, of comprehensive general information and he possesses an analytical mind and a self control that enables him to put aside all personal feelings and prejudices and fully sustain the dignity, impartiality and equity of the office to which life, property, right and liberty must look for protection.

On the 16th of June, 1907, Judge Scott was united in marriage to Miss Carrie M. Clark, of Dixon, and they have become the parents of three children, lone Ruth, Winifred Mildred and Gladys Beth. Judge Scott and his wife are prominently known in the leading social circles of the city and they are both connected with the Eastern Star, the Judge being a well known Mason. He likewise belongs to the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks and has membership in the Hamilton Club of Chicago. His political views are in accord with the principles of the republican party and it has been upon that ticket that he has been called to public office. He served for five years as justice of the peace ere his election to the bench and for two years, from 1908 until 1910, he was president of the North Side school board. Few lawyers have made a more lasting impression upon the bar of the county both for legal ability of a high order and for the individuality of a personal character which impresses itself upon a community.

Transcribed by Karen Holt - 1914 History of Lee County Illinois Vol 2 by Frank E. Stevens.

Back Home