Lee County Biography

William T. Tuttle
Franklin Grove


William T. Tuttle editor and proprietor of the Franklin Grove Reporter and Principal of the Franklin Grove schools, is a scholar and a gentleman, whose reputation is that of an educator of marked intelligence and pro­gressive views. He is a native of New York, born at Corning, May 9, 1846, a son of Hiram B. and Amanda (Skinner) Tuttle, who were natives of Camden, Oneida County, N. Y.

Hiram B. Tuttle Was an experienced lumberman in his early days, and in the '50s was Superintendent of the largest lumber interests in the United States, those of the firm of Langdon, Divin & Co., of Williamsport, Pa., who at that time owned the largest sawmill in the world. Later in life Mr. Tuttle turned his attention to farming, and was engaged at that occupation in Steuben County, N. Y., until failing health obliged him to abandon it in 1866, and he sought the West in the vain hope of recovery. He located at Grand Mound, Iowa, and there death came to him with its healing balm for all the ills of life. His wife survives him and is a respected resident of New Hampton, Iowa. Ten children were born of their marriage, five sons and five daughters, as follows: Mary, wife of Daniel Sunderlin, a farmer of New Hampton, Iowa; Harriet, wife of William F. Geise, of Jackson, Mich.; Hiram B., now a prosperous merchant at Little Falls, Minn., who was a member of the Fiftieth New York Engineers, and did noble service during the Civil War; William T., our sub­ject; Henry S. manager of St. Louis Furniture Board of Trade, St. Louis, Mo.; Phineas C., a farmer at New Hampton, Iowa; Ella, who lives with her mother at New Hampton; Charles N., a merchant of that town, and two who died in infancy.

William T. Tuttle attended school until he was fourteen years old, and then the family moved onto a farm, and his school days were over except two winters in the public school, but his education did not stop there by any means, as he was a bright, thoughtfu1 boy, eager to learn, and having already become well grounded in the common branches, had a good foundation for the knowledge he has since obtained by hard study, by close observation, and by careful reading, and many a college-bred man may envy him his culture.

In 1867 our subject left his native State with his young wife, and after a short. stay at Grand Mound, Iowa, came to Illinois, of which he has since been a resident. He worked at the Carpenter's trade in and about Sterling for twelve years, and occasionally during that time taught a country school. He was so successful in that line that he decided in 1879 to give his attention entirely to school work. He threw his whole energies into his new profession, and wherever he taught his manner and methods of teaching were highly commended. He had charge of a school at Coleta, in Whiteside County, at one time; from there he was called to Prairieville, Lee County, and thence to the "Mound" school, also in this county, whither his reputation had preceeded him, and during the last year that he taught there his school had the highest marking of any in Lee County in country school graduation. From there he returned to Whiteside County to accept the principalship of the Tampico schools, and held that position until he came to Franklin Grove to take charge of the village school here. This institution of learning is graded, has four departments, and over two hundred pupils are enrolled, and a high standard is maintained under our subject's excellent system of instruction.

March 1, 1891, Mr. Tuttle added to the profession of teacher that of editor, buying on that date the paper known as the Franklin Reporter, together with the office in which it is published, and all its appurtenances. He was at first assistcd in his editorial work by Miss Rose Kreitzel,an exper­ienced printer. On January 1st, 1892, Mr. Tuttle formed a partnership with George W. Gavel, a gentleman of large experience, and who has charge of the paper and is fully competent to carry it on in all its departments. The Reporter is a bright, newsy sheet, with plenty of space devoted to matters of local import that are well written up, and the editorials, which are often trenchant and always to the point, indicate a thorough grasp of the subjects which are of popular interest today.

The marriage of our subject with Miss Loretta T. Towsley, took place in 1866, and theirs is a charming home, tasteful and neat in its appoint­ments. One daughter, Mary A., completes their pleasant household. Their other child, Cora E. early exchanged this life for immortality. Mrs, Tuttle was born in Steuben County, N. Y., in 1847, and is a daughter of the late William H. and Roxa (Tubbs) Towsley, who were also natives of Steuben County. Her father was a gallant soldier in a New York regiment during the war, serving under Gen. Sherman. His death occurred in Beloit, Wis., in 1889.

Mr. Tuttle's culture, high-toned character and his pleasing personality have made a favorable impression upon the people in whose midst he is carrying on his professional labors, and he exerts a wholesome influence in the community. He is an ardent Republican, as was his father before him, and his party find in him an able champion. Socially, he is a prominent member of the Modern Woodmen of America, and occupies the Chair of Council of that society. He has an earnest religious nature, which finds expression in the faith of the Methodist Episcopal Church, of which he and his wife and daughter are members.

Portraits and Biographical Lee County IL
**Hannah Loretta Towsley was born 21 June 1847 daughter of William H. & Roxanna Diana (Tubbs) Tuttle.

Bar

Lee Co Bios
Home


Illinois - "Our Way"