Lee County Biography

CHARLES WAGNER


Charles W. Wagner, giving his time and attention to the development and cultivation of a fine farm of one hundred and sixty acres on section 8, Bradford township, is a native son of Lee county, born May 13, 1865. His parents, Jacob and Sophia (Reis) Wagner, were natives of Germany and came to America in 1855. The father farmed in Lee county for a number of years and he is now living retired in Dixon, having survived his wife since 1883. Charles W. Wagner was reared upon his father's farm and assisted in its operation until his marriage, at the age of twenty- three. He then rented land in his locality and after several years purchased the property upon which he still resides. He has one hundred and sixty acres on section 8, Bradford township, and he has provided this with substantial barns and modern machinery. He has also tiled the farm and made a great many other improvements, the property being today one of the most productive and valuable in this section of the state. Mr. Wagner married Miss Anna Bower, a native of Lee county, Illinois, and a daughter of Wolf G. and Christina Bower. Mr. and Mrs. Wagner have become the parents of a daughter, Nellie Deloras, born May 24, 1895. The parents are members of the Evangelical church, in which Mr. Wagner serves as trustee. He gives his political allegiance to the republican party and is now township assessor, filling this office with credit and ability. He is well known in Bradford township, where he has spent his entire life, and he has won a place among representative agriculturists and useful citizens.

* * * * * *

GEORGE WAGNER

George Wagner, a successful and highly respected farmer, prominent in the affairs of Bradford township, was born here October 1, 1868, a son of Jacob Wagner. He acquired his education in the public schools of Bradford township and after completing his studies was employed in the work of the farm. Following his marriage he engaged in farming upon rented land for nineteen years and at the end of that time bought a farm, whereon he now resides. He owns one hundred and sixty-five acres of land on section 12, Bradford township, and has added to the buildings and equipment of this property, which, through his able management, he has made one of the finest and most productive farms in this locality.

Mr. Wagner married Miss Anna C. Sandrock, a native of Lee county and a daughter of George and Martha E. (Theil) Sandrock, natives of Germany. The parents came to America at an early date and located in Lee county, Illinois, where both passed away. Of the six children born to their union four are living. Mr. and Mrs. Wagner have become the parents of a son: Arthur J., born June 28, 1892. The parents are members of the Evangelical church, and Mr. Wagner gives his political allegiance to the republican party. For six years he served as school director of his district and discharged his duties in a capable and progressive manner. He is a man of high social, official and business standing and is recognized as one of the most honorable and valued citizens of the community.

Transcribed by Karen Holt - 1914 History of Lee County Illinois Vol 2 by Frank E. Stevens.

* * * * * *

JACOB WAGNER

Jacob Wagner, who resides on section 12, Bradford Township, is one of the prominent citizens of German birth who have done so much to aid in the progress of this township and county. He was born in the Fatherland, October 28, 1840. When about fifteen years old, he accompanied his parents, George and Mariah Wagner, to the United States, where they settled near Franklin Grove, in this county, and where the father died the following October.

Jacob Wagner was in the employ of A. R. Whitney, at Franklin Grove, for some five or six years, and when reaching his majority he decided to make a start in life for himself. Purchasing eighty acres of railroad land on section 12, Bradford Township, he entered on the improvement of his land, to which he has added from time to time until he now owns four hundred and eighty acres. On this he has placed good buildings, and has all the necessary appliances for carrying on a farm in the best manner.

Mr. Wagner was married, in Bradford Township, to Sophia Rice, who died in 1883. Their family comprised ten children: Martha, Charles, John, George, Anna, Jacob, Mary, Emma, Sarah and Minnie. Mr. Wagner was married a second time in Dixon, IL., February 16, 1887, to Anna Fernau, who was born in Germany, August 26, 1849. Of this union one child has been born, Frederick C. Of the first family of children, Martha is the wife of Charles Hebenthal; Charles married Anna Bower; John was united in marriage to Mary Krug; George married Anna Sandrock, and Anna is the wife of George Kresten.

Mr. Wagner in politics is a stanch Republican, and has held the offices of School Director and Commissioner of Highway. He is deeply interested in whatever pertains to the welfare of his community, and is always willing to contribute his time and money to promote any worthy public enterprise. He has been successful in business, and he and his family are held in high esteem by their associates.

1892 Portrait and Biographical Record Lee Co

* * * * * *

JACOB J. WAGNER JR.

Jacob J. Wagner, Jr., is the owner of an excellent farm of one hundred and sixty acres on section 35, Ashton township, and in the cultivation of this property has gained a success which places him among the representative and able agriculturists of the locality. He was born in Bradford township, this county, November 11, 1872, and was reared at home, acquiring a public-school education. He has devoted his entire active life to farming, and his success in this field is the natural result of his ability and experience. When he was twenty-one he rented a farm in Bradford township and developed this property for fifteen years thereafter with constantly increasing success. At the end of that time he bought one hundred and sixty acres on section 35, Ashton township, and upon this property he has since resided. He has made excellent improvements upon it, providing the place with a modern house, a barn and other outbuildings. It now presents an attractive appearance and gives every evidence of the care and labor which the owner has bestowed upon it.

In 1894 Mr. Wagner was united in marriage to Miss Elizabeth C. Harck, a native of Bradford township, born September 11, 1871. She is a daughter of William and Catherine (Dill) Harck, natives of Germany. The parents came to America at an early date and located in Bradford township, where the mother died July 4, 1910. Her husband survives her and makes his home in Ashton. To their union were born four children: Elizabeth C, wife of the subject of this review; Anna, who married William Petre, of Ashton; Mary, the wife of John Nass, Jr., of Bradford township; and Fred. Mr. and Mrs. Wagner have become the parents of a son, Ervin W., born October 5, 1895. He is now attending a business college at Dixon, Illinois. The parents are members of the United Evangelical church, and Mr. Wagner gives his political allegiance to the republican party. For several years he has served as school director and is a progressive and public spirited citizen, taking an active interest in community affairs. Ashton township numbers him among her most progressive and successful agriculturists, and he is widely and favorably known in this locality.

Transcribed by Karen Holt - 1914 History of Lee County Illinois Vol 2 by Frank E. Stevens.

* * * * * *

JOHN J. WAGNER

John J. Wagner, a progressive farmer and stock-raiser and a native son of Bradford township, was born February 15, 1867. He remained at home until he was twenty-three years of age and then married, afterward engaging in farming upon rented land. At the end of two years he purchased the property which he now owns. He has one hundred and sixty-eight acres on section 3, Bradford township, and he has improved this with substantial buildings and modern machinery, making the place productive and valuable to a high degree. He makes a specialty of raising and feeding stock and he has important interests of this character.

Mr. Wagner married Miss Mary Krug, a daughter of John Krug and a native of Bradford township. They have become the parents of a daughter, Alta L., who was born November 22, 1899, and who is now a student in the Ashton high school. Mr. Wagner is a republican in his political beliefs and has held various positions of public trust and responsibility, serving for two years as collector. He is now in the twelfth year of his able service as county supervisor and is at the present time chairman of the board. A resident of Bradford township during his entire life, he has become widely and favorably known here and his influence has been a tangible force for good in the community.

Transcribed by Karen Holt - 1914 History of Lee County Illinois Vol 2 by Frank E. Stevens.

Back Home