Lee County Biography

E.C. WHITE


E. C. White, M. D., actively engaged in the practice of medicine and surgery at West Brooklyn since 1894, entered upon the work of the profession when a young man, and his ability and power have developed with the passing years. He has lived in Lee county since 1873, being less than two years of age when the family removed to Illinois. His birth occurred in Chateaugay, New York, near Lake Champlain, November 4, 1871, his parents being Carey and Eunice (Cobb) White, who on coming to the middle west settled on a farm near Paw Paw, where the father carried on general agricultural pursuits. He became an active republican and a recognized leader in his party in this locality. The family numbered eight children: Clarence, who died in 1887 at the age of twenty-two years and was laid to rest in the Paw Paw cemetery; Carey J., who died in 1892 at the age of thirteen years; Edwin J., who follows farming near Paw Paw; Alma, the wife of Jacob Fischer, residing at Scarboro, Illinois; Marion, a practicing physician of Dixon; David Chandler, whose home is in Mendota; E. C. of this review, and Merton A., a hardware merchant at Leland, LaSalle county, Illinois.

E. C. White acquired his primary education in the schools of Paw Paw, being graduated from the high school with the class of 1890. His professional course was pursued in the University of Iowa, from which he was graduated in 1894, the M. D, degree being conferred upon him. immediately afterward he came to West Brooklyn and opened an office. From the beginning his success has been gratifying and has grown with the passing years, as his experience and reading have added to his knowledge and promoted his efficiency. He also conducts a drug store and is postmaster of West Brooklyn.

Since age conferred upon him the right of franchise Dr. White has been an earnest republican, never faltering in his allegiance to the party. He is clerk of the town board and for ten years has been one of the directors on the board of education. He is interested in all that pertains to the general welfare and is the champion of every measure that he deems beneficial to the community. Fraternally he is well known as a Mason and as a charter member of the West Brooklyn camp, M.W.A.

In Fulton, Illinois, on the 1st of January, 1896, Dr. White was united in marriage to Miss Carrie Johnson, a daughter of Oliver P. and Mary S. Johnson. Her father was one of the prominent old settlers and his father was the founder of the town of West Brooklyn. Oliver P. Johnson died June 8, 1905, and in his passing the county lost one of its honored early settlers. Dr. and Mrs. White have become the parents of three children: Clarence, a graduate of the high school of West Brooklyn; and Geneva and Earl C., who are attending school. Dr. White erected his office and business building in which the postoffice is located. He and his family attend the Methodist Episcopal church, and its teachings are the guiding element in their lives. He belongs to the Lee County, Illinois State and American Medical Association and is interested in all that pertains to the advancement of the profession, that promotes its activity and adds to its efficiency in checking the ravages of disease. He is an energetic, enterprising man in all that he undertakes and does not stop short of successful completion.

Transcribed by Karen Holt - 1914 History of Lee County Illinois Vol 2 by Frank E. Stevens.

Bar

J.M.L WHITE

In no profession has woman demonstrated her fitness more fully than in the practice of medicine. She possesses a characteristic sympathy and an almost intuitive understanding that are of much avail to her in professional work. Dr. White, now practicing successfully in Dixon, was born in Plattsburg, New York, a daughter of Cary J. and Eunice (Cobb) White. The father was a farmer by occupation, following that pursuit in the Empire state and again after removing to Illinois in 1871, at which time he settled in Paw Paw, Lee county.

Dr. White pursued her more specifically literary education in the public schools. She devoted five years to teaching and then determining to enter upon the practice of medicine matriculated in the Women's Medical College of Chicago, from which she was graduated with the class of 1894. She has since done post-graduate work in that city and is continuously promoting her knowledge through wide reading, research and investigation. She has gained a liberal practice, not only among many of Dixon?s best people, but also throughout the surrounding country, using an automobile in making her visits. Her fellow members of the profession recognize her skill and superior qualifications and the public trust in her is evidenced in the liberal support given her. She has been insurance examiner for several companies and she is a member of the Lee County and Illinois State Medical Societies and of the American Medical Association. Dr. White is very popular in Dixon, possessing attractive personal qualities, which have won her a circle of friends almost coextensive with the circle of her acquaintances.

Transcribed by Karen Holt - 1914 History of Lee County Illinois Vol 2 by Frank E. Stevens.

Back Home