Welcome
STEWART WILSON

Bar

Stewart Wilson, who is engaged in general farming and stock-raising on sections 29 and 30, Palmyra Township, is a native of the Keystone State. Blair County was the place of his birth and the date January 14, 1849. His paternal grandfather, James Wilson, was also born in Pennsylvania, and was of Scotch lineage. He became a well-to-do farmer and spent his entire life in Blair County, reaching the allotted years of three-score and ten. his wife died when Franklin Wilson, father of our subject, was born. There were only two sons in the family, and the brother died in Pennsylvania. In the county of his nativity, Franklin Wilson was reared to manhood and married Miss Susan, daughter of Philip and Mary Bridenbaugh. Her parents were of German descent and were members of the German Reformed Church. The Wilsons were Presbyterians in religious faith.

Five children, three sons and two daughters, were born unto Franklin Wilson and his wife during their residence in Altona Township, Blair County, Pa. They left the East in 1856, and with their family came to Lee County, Ill., spending the first two years after their arrival in Dixon Township The father then purchased a farm in Palmyra Township, which is now the property of our subject, and began its development. By his labors, the once barren tract was transformed into rich and fertile fields, which yielded to him a golden tribute. In politics, he was a supporter of Democratic principles, and was a member of the Presbyterian Church. He passed from this life November 4, 1870, at the age of forty-six years. His widow still survives him and is now living with her daughter, Mrs. C. C. Fisk, of Sterling, at the age of sixty-three years. She, too, is a member of the Presbyterian Church and is a lady whose upright and consistent life has won her the warm regard of all with whom she has come in contact.

The first eleven years of his life, Stewart Wilson spent in the county of his nativity. It was in 1860 that he came with his parents to Illinois, since which time he has made his home in Lee County. In 1870, on attaining his majority, lie purchased his present farm, which comprises one hundred and eighty-eight acres of productive land. The entire amount is under a high State of cultivation, with the exception of about twenty-eight acres, and bounteous harvests reward the care and labor he bestows upon it. In many respects this is a model farm. The home is a comfortable brick residence, and good barns and outbuildings afford shelter for his stock which is all of Superior grades. he is now engaged quite extensively in the breeding of Shetland ponies and many fine specimens may be seen in his stables.

In Palmyra Township, Mr. Wilson formed a matrimonial alliance with Miss Emma A. Fisk, one of Lee County's fair daughters, born in that township in 1855. Her parents were E. II. and Amelia (sprout) Fisk, natives of Massachusetts, where the days of their childhood were passed and their marriage was celebrated. On coming to Illinois, they took up their residence on a farm in Palmyra Townshiip, where Mr. Fisk passed away in 1888, at the age of sixty-six years. His widow, now sixty-three years, is living with her daughters. Both were well known people in the community, being highly respected by their many friends and acquaintances.

THe home of Mr. and Mrs. Wilson has been brightened by the presence of a daughter, Lorena A., who is now fourteen years of age. The parents are both members of the Presbyterian Church in Sterling. In politices our subject is a Democrat and is now filling the office of Road Commissioner. Fair and honest in all his dealings, he has not only won the confidence of those with whom business relations have brought him in contact, but has also made a handsome property and is ranked among the well to do citizens of the community.

Portrait and Biographical Record Pg 200

Bar

Lee Co Bios
Home


Illinois - "Our Way"