Lee County Biography

LEWIS WOOD

Lewis Wood, a veteran of the Civil war, living retired after forty-four years in the service of the Northwestern Railroad Company, was born in Bradford county, Pennsylvania, May 14, 1848. He is a son of James and Melissa (Vosburg) Wood, natives of Pennsylvania, who came to Illinois in 1852, and located in Ogle county, where the father served as foreman in the construction of a dam across the Rock river at Oregon, Illinois. Both passed away in this state. To their union were born eleven children, the subject of this review being the eighth in the order of birth. Lewis Wood remained with his parents until 1864, when he ran away from home and joined the union army, enlisting in the One Hundred and Fortieth Illinois Volunteer Infantry under Captain George Turkenton. He was one of six brothers who served the union during the conflict and all came out of the service alive. Lewis Wood was mustered out with honorable discharge at Chicago, Illinois, and immediately returned home, where he remained until 1867. Two years later he entered the service of the Northwestern Railroad Company and for forty-four years and five months thereafter remained connected with this corporation, rendering his employers efficient, conscientious and capable service. He became known as one of the most reliable men in the employ of the company and in the course of years won the confidence and regard of his superiors and the good-will of his associates. Mr. Wood draws a pension of seventeen dollars and seventeen cents a month from the Northwestern Railroad and also fifteen dollars a month from the government, as a veteran of the Civil war. He owns a comfortable residence in the village of Ashton and is here spending his retired life, being widely and favorably known in the community. In 1867 Mr. Wood was united in marriage to Miss Susan Moot, a native of Canada, and a daughter of Silas and Theresa Moot, also natives of the Dominion. The parents came to the United States in 1863, locating in Lee county, Illinois, where both passed away. Mrs. Wood died April 9, 1913, leaving three children: Charles H.; Lily May, the wife of Fred Tilton of Ogle county; and Fred B. Mr. Wood is connected fraternally with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and is a member of the Grand Army Post. He gives his political allegiance to the republican party and served for six years as trustee of Ashton township. In matters of citizenship he is at all times progressive and public-spirited, being as loyal to his country in times of peace as he was on the southern battle fields during the Civil war. He has also tiled the farm and made a great many other improvements, the property being today one of the most productive and valuable in this section of the state. Mr. Wagner married Miss Anna Bower, a native of Lee county, Illinois, and a daughter of Wolf G. and Christina Bower. Mr. and Mrs. Wagner have become the parents of a daughter, Nellie Deloras, born May 24, 1895. The parents are members of the Evangelical church, in which Mr. Wagner serves as trustee. He gives his political allegiance to the republican party and is now township assessor, filling this office with credit and ability. He is well known in Bradford township, where he has spent his entire life, and he has won a place among representative agriculturists and useful citizens/

Bar

Back Home