Second Baptist Church
Dixon, Lee County IL



The first Blacks settled in Lee County in 1866 and attempted to organize a church in a frame dwelling located on Hennepin Ave., between Second and Third Streets in Dixon, but only a Sunday School survived those early efforts.

In 1915 a second attempt to start a church was made. Organizational meetings were held at 606 Monroe Ave. and at 516 W. Sixth St., and the Community Church was created with the Rev. Fletcher pastor in charge. A few years later the church became known as Second Baptist.

A fund raising campaign was started by young members of the congregation in 1916 and the $300 which they accumulated was used to purchase a lot at 605 Madison Ave. Four years later the first 18 bricks were bought by holding a "Brick Party." The church edifice was completed under the pastorate of the Rev. Hawkins.

The building underwent extensive renovation in 1946. The sanctuary was remodeled and the entire interior was redecorated. An oil furnace was installed and additional classrooms for the Sunday School were build. The present church structure on Madison Ave., was purchase din 1963 fro the Church of the Brethren and is presently undergoing extensive remodeling. The Rev. A.J. Downing serves a congregation numbering 125.

From the Dixon Evening Telegraph February 28, 1976 Heritage Edition

Back Home


Illinois - "Our Way"