Church
Of The
Brethren
Dixon, Lee County IL

The history of the Dixon Church of the Brethren began in 1898 when a group of interested people started to assemble regularly. They erected a church building on West Third St., where the Second Baptist Church is presently located. The first council meeting was held Jan. 1, 1908. Officers were elected and by-laws adopted at that first organizational meeting.

The members met in council for the purpose of organizing as a congregation July 8, 1908, George W. Miller was the first pastor and served until October of that year. In 1910 the church acquired property to the north of the church and a parsonage was built in 1917.

With each passing year, the church became more self-sufficient. The structure was remodeled several times; in 1930, 1938 and the front of the church received a new face in 1944. During John H. Blough's pastorate it was decided that a Sunday School Annex would be built on property that was purchased to the west of the church.

In was in 1955 that the need for a larger church was felt, and in that year a Building Committee was established. In 1958 the Church Council voted to relocate and a year later the new site was purchased on the north edge of Dixon. Ground was broken on Easter Sunday, 1963, and the new facility at 215 North Court, was dedicated Jan. 12, 1964, with the Rev. Dr. Norman J. Baugher speaking at the event.

The building includes worship, education, fellowship and office facilities. The Nave seats 330 with 65 in the choir and 80 in the overflow area. The Rev. William K. Burgess is presently the pastor at the Church and serves a congregation of about 325.

From the Dixon Evening Telegraph February 28, 1976 Heritage Edition

Back Home


Illinois - "Our Way"