Lee County Academy


Lee Center Union Academy -- contributed by Karen Holt
It became a graded district school in 1859

Lee Center Union Academy was started in 1846 and Moses Crombie did all of the carpentry work on the building. The building was constructed of bricks of clay found around Lee Center. In 1853, a stone addition was built onto the old academy. Hiram McChesney was the first principal of the academy, and its affairs were directed by seven trustees and five special directors.
Excerpt from the Dixon Evening Telegraph 1951 by Mrs. Wayne Albers

Back Home