To The
Lee County Weddings

Joseph Garland to Avis Harvey

Saturday morning October 19, 1946, at St. Patricks church in Dixon, Miss Avis Marie Harvey, daughter of Mrs. Clara Harvey of this city, became the bride of Joseph A. Garland of Amboy, son of Mr. and Mrs. Cornelius Garland of that city. Miss Harvey, escorted down the white carpeted aisle by her Uncle Albert Carr, was attired in white net over satin with long sleeves coming to points over the wrists, satin covered buttons down the back, a sweetheart neckline and long train. Her net veil fell from a tiara of seed pearls. Her only jewelry was a gold cross and chain, a gift from the groom.

Miss Shirley Harvey, sister of the bride served as maid of honor, wearing blue net over blue satin with a blue blusher veil. Her flowers were a mixed bouquet of fall flowers and mums. The brides flowers were an arm bouquet of white roses and white mums tied with a white satin ribbon.

Rev. Fr. T.L. read the single ring ceremony in the presence of many relatives and friends at a 9 o'clock mass with St. Marys choir singing the nuptial mass, including the "Ave Maria" and "Oh Lord I Am Not Worthy" at communion, the brides favorite hymn.

The brides mother wore a two piece suit of black with a corsage of white roses and the grooms mother also wore a black ensemble with touches of white and a corsage of white carnations.

Clifford Garland served his brother as best man and ushers were Richard Garland and George Chesley of Sublette.

Mrs. Garland attended St. Marys parochial school, Dixon high school and Coppins business college. The groom is a graduate of Amboy high school and attended the University of Illinois before his enlistment in the armed service in 1941. He served as a 1st Lt. with the 8th Air Force in the E.T.O.

When the new Mrs. Garland left for their honeymoon trip she was wearing a grey fall suit with grey and black accessories and an orchid corsage. The couple will travel through Iowa and upon their return will live in Dixon on Sterling Avenue after Dec. 1.

Out of town guests came from Yorkville and Rockford

The Evening Telegraph, 26 October 1946

Back Home


Illinois - "Our Way"