To The
Lee County Weddings

Bar

In a simple but beautiful ceremony Saturday morning at 9 o'clock, Miss Mariam Powers, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. M.A. Powers of 810 Highland Ave., Dixon and Leo Boehle of Amboy were united in marriage at St. Patrick's Catholic Church of Dixon, the Rev. Father Walsh officiating. The bride given in marriage by her father, was beautiful in a gown of brocaded white marquisette over satin with a bouquet of white gardinas and gladioli. Mrs. Walter Hohenadel of Rochelle served as Matron of honor wearing pink marquisette over satin with pink carnations. William Powers, brother of the bride, served as best man, and Mrs. Willard Jones presided at the organ playing the traditional wedding marches. A reception was held after the ceremony at the Colonial Inn in Grand Detour with 50 in attendance, and the newlyweds left for a two week's honeymoon trip to New York. For going away the bride wore a brown suit with brown accessories. Both the bride and groom are graduates of Amboy township high school and they will be at home after Nov. 1 at 810 Third St. Dixon.

Dixon Evening Telegraph 01 October 1946

Bar

Kenneth Bontz of Harmon and Berniece Reiley of Rock Falls were united in marriage Saturday (August 7, 1948) at the First Presbyterian Church Dixon. Rev. Fred Cunningham performing the double ring ceremony. Attendents to the couple were the parents of the bridegroom, Mr. and Mrs. Lewis Bontz of Harmon. Miss Nancy Carol Reiley, daughter of the bride, and Danny Bontz, son of the bridegroom, were ring bearers. The bride was attired in a white eyelet street length gown with black accessories. Mrs. Lewis Bontz wore black with white accessories. Both wore corsages of sweetpeas. A reception followed the ceremony and was held at the Skip's Cafe for immediate families of the couple. Following the reception the newlyweds left on a wedding trip to Denver Colorado. Mrs. Bontz is employed at Lawrence Bros. in Sterling. Mr. Bontz is employed at the Latta and Clayton garage in Rock Falls. The couple will reside in Rock Falls.

Dixon Evening Telegraph 11 Aug 1948

Bar

Miss Lucille McBride, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. William McBride, and Bernard Bushman, son of Mrs. Louise Bushman, were united in marriage Saturday [02/22/1936] morning at 8 o’clock in St. Mary’s Catholic church in Walton [Lee County, Illinois] with Rev. Father Ryan officiating at the nuptial high mass. The single ring ceremony was used. The bride was lovely in a gown of white satin and a tulle veil caught back with orange blossoms and she wore a corsage of talisman roses and baby’s breath. She was attended by Miss Mildred Aubert of Maytown, a cousin of both the bride and groom, who wore a gown of gray pebble crepe with blue accessories and wore a corsage of briar cliff roses and baby’s breath. Leo Bushman, brother of the groom, was best man. Following the ceremony a four course wedding breakfast was served at the home of the bride’s parents to 30 relatives and friends. The decorations were in pink and white and the centerpiece of the table was a three tier wedding cake. The happy couple left on a wedding trip to Peoria. Later they will reside on the O’Malley farm north of Walton. Hosts of friends join in extending best wishes to them for happiness.

Bar

Samuel Cramer of 903 Sixth street, Dixon, and Miss Ada Murphy of Sterling, were married at the home of the bride Saturday evening. Mr Cramer is an employ(ee) of the Watson-Plummer shoe company. The young couple went to Chicago on their wedding trip.

Dixon Evening Telegraph - Tues. Jan. 26, 1904.

Bar

The Dixon friends of Samuel Cramer will be interested in learning of his marriage, which took place on Monday afternoon at 3 o'clock in Freeport. At this time he was united in marriage to Mrs. Bessie Flint of Rockford at the Methodist Parsonage in Freeport. The Reverend C. Dunleavy performing the marriage service. There were no attendants, the wedding being a quiet one. After the ceremony the newlyweds motored back to Rockford where a wedding supper awaited them at the home of the bride, and an impromptu reception was held, many friends and relatives calling to wish the couple happiness and luck, in which they are joined by many Dixon friends. Mr. Cramer is one of our capable and genial firemen. They will make their home here.

Dixon Evening Telegraph March 20, 1935

Bar

The marriage of Miss Rita McCoy, youngest daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Charles McCoy of Walton, and William Fenwick, second eldest son of John Fenwick also of Walton, was solemnized at a nuptial mass at St. Mary's Catholic church at Walton Saturday morning May 20, 1944, the Rev. D.R. Daley officiating at the impressive service. Mrs. C.C. Akert was nuptial muscian and played the Bridal Chorus and also soft music during the ceremony. The bride wore a dress of Velvary Organza fashioned with long sleeves and lace inserts. Her veil was attached to a headress of seed pearls and she carried a bouquet of white roses. Mrs. Charles Reeser, sister of the bride, was matron of honor wearing an aqua dress and headress of flowers to match. Lullus Fenwick, brother of the bridegroom, served as best man. A wedding breakfast was served at the Coffee House here following the wedding ceremony. The new Mrs. Fenwick is a graduate of Amboy high school and has been employed at the Amboy Milk Company the past two years. The bridegroom is employed at the Walton Elevator. After a brief honeymoon the couple will live near Walton.

The Dixon Evening Telegraph May 24, 1944

Bar

Miss Margaret Mae Newton daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Leslie Newton of Rock Falls, and Robert Lee Fisher, son of Mr. and Mrs. Ed Fisher of Dixon, were married Saturday evening (14 Jul 1945) in the parsonage of St. Pauls Lutheran Church in Dixon, by the Rev. Mr. Curran. Mrs. Robert William of DesMoines IA., and William Harden of Dixon, attended the couple. Mrs. Fisher a graduate of Rock Falls High School has been employed several years as Window Decorator for the Scott Burr Stores Corp. Mr. Fisher a Dixon alumnus is engaged in farming with his father.

Dixon Evening Telegraph 18 July 1945

Bar

"Lee Co Courthouse, Dixon, IL: Marriages: Book A, pg 93. Marriage Lic., Issued Apr 21, 1856. You are hereby authorized to join in the Holy Bonds of Matrimony, and to celebrate the Rites and Ceremonies between Mr. John Fopel and Miss Margaret Schmol of Lee County, and this shall be your good and sufficient warrant; and you are required to return this License to me within thirty days from the celebration of such Marriage, with a certificate of the same endorsed thereon and signed by you. In Testimony Thereof: I have hereunto set my hand, and the seal of said County, this 21st day of April, 1856. Signed Clerk. I hereby certify that on this 21st day of April, 1856, I joined in Matrimony Mr. John Fopel with Miss Margaret Schmoll agreeably to the authority given in the above License. Signed, D. Harbaugh, M.S."

**Lee county court house record has surname as Fopel
Contributed by Jerald Glawe

Bar

Mrs. Hazel Mead, daughter of Frank Clemmons and Anton Haefner of Paw Paw were united in marriage Wednesday afternoon May 17, 1944 at 3:30 p.m at the Lutheran parsonage in Dixon, the Rev. Lloyd W. Walter of the St. Paul's Lutheran church officiating at the quiet, but impressive ceremony. Mr. and Mrs. Chester Wills of Mendota were the attendants. Mrs. Haefner wore a dark blue suit with light blue accessories and the groom wore the conventional brown business suit. Mrs. Wills was attired in a black and white jersey street length dress with white accessories and Mr. Wills wore a brown business suit. The bride is well known in and around Paw Paw, having been born and raised here. The groom is know in Paw Paw and surrounding communities and is a retired farmer.

Bar

At the residence of George McBride, Feb. 18th, by Rev. E. C. Sickel, Mr. Charles McBride, of this city, and Miss Emma E. Hall, of Fremont, Ohio.

Dixon Evening 5elegraph 22 Feb. 1877 contributed by Elsie Harmon

Bar

Nathaniel Smith & Rachel Atherton - At the residence of the bride's father in East Papaw, Ill., on the evening of Feb. 9, 1870, by the Rev. Mr. Sturgeon, Mr. Nathaniel Smith of Lena, and Miss Rachel Atkinson, of the former place. Another old "bach" gone from our number. Not long since we considered him invincible, but Time has proven that we were in error and that at least one lady had the necessary qualifications and charms to lure him from the paths of bachelorhood and guide his footsteps in an unfrequented and new path. However, Than, it is all right, you have done what all of us should do and we blame you not, but wish you and your lady all the joy imaginable. Mr. Smith's return from the East was the occasion for a very pleasant and happy gathering at the residence of Capt. Robert Smith, on Tuesday evening. A sumptuous and elegant supper was served to all. A real social and agreeable time was had and many congratulations for the future happiness and long life of the newly married couple were given. Font size=2> Website of Connie Luck from the Lena Star, Lena IL 25 Feb. 1870

Bar

William W. Woolley of Dixon and Mrs. Clarinda Zarger of Nachusa were married in this city this afternoon. The license was issued early in the day and they later in the day registered at the Nelson Hotel as Mr. and Mrs. Woolley. The above explains itself. This piece of news will come as a surprise to Mr. and Mrs. Woolley’s many friends in this city. Mr. Woolley will bring his bride to Dixon next Saturday afternoon and will go to housekeeping in North Dixon where Mr. Woolley has purchased the William Johnson property. Mrs. Woolley is a lady who stands high in the social circles in her hometown and will be a welcome addition to the social circles of this city. Mr. Woolley is a prosperous real estate agent and he stands high in business circles of the city.

Contributed by Julia Johnson

Back Home