Livingston County, Illinois
With a number of retail stores and service establishments, Blackstone village is the principal trading center of Sunbury Township on the north border of the county.
In 1950 it had a population of 100. It is situated on the Gulf, Mobile & Ohio Railroad and adjacent to State 17.
Blackstone was laid out in 1870 by William Shepard, pioneer land developer. It was named after Timothy B. Blackstone, then president of the Chicago & Alton Railroad.
Today, this village is the main community of Sunbury Township, which has a total population of 530.
First to settle in the township was Andrew Sprague, who arrived in 1835 from New York state.
[This is Livingston County, Illinois by: John Drury, The Loree Co., Chicago, Illinois (1955)]