Livingston County, Illinois
Founded more than eighty years ago, the small village of McDowell, southeast of Pontiac city, today has a population of thirty-five.
It is located near the Vermilion River and through it runs the Wabash Railroad. The village is served by the postoffice at nearby Pontiac.
McDowell was platted in 1873, or the same year in which the Wabash Railroad was built through the area. Its founder was Judge Woodford G. McDowell, son of William McDowell, early settler of the region.
Today, this village is the principal community of Avoca Township, which has a total population of 516.
First settlers of the township were Isaac Jourdan, William Popejoy and John Hannaman, all of whom came with their families in 1330. It was in 1832 that William McDowell arrived with his five sons.
[This is Livingston County, Illinois by: John Drury, The Loree Co., Chicago, Illinois (1955)]