Livingston County, Illinois
Saunemin village, which now has a population of 338, had its origin in a postoffice opened here in 1869- This was after the Township of Saunemin was organized.
Soon after the postoffice was opened, a Methodist church was built and a general store erected. There followed a blacksmith shop and several more retail stores.
Today, Saunemin village, located east of Pontiac on the Wabash Railroad, is the principal community of Saunemin Township, which has a total population of 847.
First to settle in the township were David Cripliver and his two sons, Joseph and S. P., all of whom arrived in 1845 from Indiana.
[This is Livingston County, Illinois by: John Drury, The Loree Co., Chicago, Illinois (1955)]