Livingston County, Illinois
On the Illinois Central Railroad, just northeast of Pontiac, stands the village of Swygert, with a population of thirty-one. It is served by the postoffice at Pontiac.
The village was named after Charles Swygert, who served as Owego Township supervisor from 1876 to 1878.
Swygert village is now the principal community of Owego Township, which has a total population of 503.
First to settle in the township was Daniel Rockwood, who came in 1833 from New York state. When Livingston County was established in 1837, Daniel Rockwood was elected one of its first three county commissioners. He was subsequently elected first supervisor of Owego Township.
[This is Livingston County, Illinois by: John Drury, The Loree Co., Chicago, Illinois (1955)]