Livingston County, Illinois
January 1: H. W. McCulloch, Livingston County Superintendent of schools dies in Bloomington hospital.
January 9: W. E. Herbert, Pontiac Township Supervisor dies at his Pontiac home.
January 12: Victor A. Lindquist appointed acting Superintendent of county schools.
January 26: Aman B. Sheeler, Graymont, appointed acting chairman of Livingston County Ration Board to fill vacancy created by resignation of Col. Arthur W. Morse.
January 26: Louis Austman, Forrest tavern keeper, found guilty of selling alcoholic liquor to minor--fined $500, maximum penalty.
February 1: Louis Austman surrenders state and village liquor licenses.
February 16: Lt. Paul Koerner of Livingston County directed 22 men in taking over the little Italian town of Cairo, near Cassino, and captured about 80 German Nazi prisoners.
March 17: Forrest Library receives $150 from benefit basketball game and stunt show staged by 9 organizations.
March 21: Fairbury youth center opened--named Fun Haven.
March 22: Sgt. James F. Cahill, Emington, dies of sleeping sickness in New Guinea.
March 24: Livingston County crops valued at $30,849,683 by the bureau of census.
April 1: Mrs. Lenora Broquard, bride of 7 weeks, dies of burns while canning meat. Husband Joe, also burned while trying to save her from kerosene explosion.
April 17: Fred Muir, Odell, elected chairman of County Board of Supervisors.
April 22: Flanagan and Graymont organize for work at Streator canteen.
April 24: Ray McGreal, Chatsworth, elected chairman of the county Democratic central committee.
April 26: Company H, of the reserve militia, leaves for flood duty.
May4: County farmers list 1,888,715 bushels of corn for immediate sale to government for manufacturing war products.
May 18: Dean Voorhees, Fairbury, chairman of county Republican central committee, elected treasurer of Illinois Republican County Chairmen Association.
May 21: Dwight observes national hospital day.
May 25: $99,850 contact award Santucci Construction of Skokie, for laying drainage tile from prison to Vermilion River in hopes of relieving flood conditions in south Pontiac.
June 7: Pontiac firemen quit jobs because they received no wage increase.
June14: Mrs. Lucille Goodrich, Saunemin, appointed assistant superintendent of county schools.
June 30: Pontiac Youth Center holds formal opening.
July 5: $15,000 fire destroys corn and crib at Roy Jacobs farm north of Weston.
July 6: Ada Fabricators begins production of plastic parts for microphones at Pontiac.
July 18: An estimated 225 county residents pull tassels from hybrid seed corn.
July 22: County board of review finds an estimated 2,716 cars not assessed.
August 10: George Billerbeck, AAA chairman of Livingston County, dies at his home in Cullom.
August 15: Pontiac faced by ice shortage as hot wave continues.
August 16: American Legion accepts Marie Pate Heath, of the WACS, as a member of the Aarvig-Campbell Post.
August 28: A total of 169 one room schools open in county.
Sept. 9: County authorities investigate the death of Earl Howard.
Sept. 12: T. H. Richardson, Flanagan, celebrates his 100th birthday.
Sept. 16: R. G. Hershey, secretary-manager, Pontiac Chamber of Commerce, tenders resignation, to become effective October 16.
Sept. 28: Lt. Myron Johnson, Pontiac, first county prisoner of war to return to U.S., calls his parents from New York.
Oct. 6: Mrs. Irma McCormick indicted for murder and manslaughter in connection with death of Earl Howard, and placed in county jail under $20,000 bail.
Oct. 19: A total of 20,267 county residents announced eligible to vote Nov. 7.
Nov. 16: R. C. Smith, Livingston County farm adviser, tenders resignation to become effective March 1, 1945.
Nov. 22: Mrs. Irma McCormick found not guilty of Earl Howard death.
Nov. 24: Pontiac gets new printing plant, Brown and Black Printing Company, which will take over the building at 417 Sherman Avenue.
Dec. 4: Community Service panel of county rationing board organized.
Dec. 5: Pontiac Moose launch youth recreation program.
Dec. 16: Warden A. A. Bennett reports Pontiac Prison holds most favorable record of any in the United States, in connection with behavior of its former inmates now serving in the armed forces.
Dec. 18: More than 90 percent of Odell public school children buy war stamps to earn Schools-at-War flag.
Dec. 21: County gets quota of 262,800 acres of corn, 80,400 acres of soybeans, 153,200 acres of oats set as goal for 1945 production.
-May 17, 1945 - Mr. And Mrs. Hanke Tammen of Flanagan received official word of the death of two sons killed in action within three days. PFC Clarence was killed April 22 in Germany; S. Sgt. John died in action April 25 in the Philippines.
-Jan. 1, 1945 - Fire ushered in the New Year with two fatalities: Miss Annie Gavin, aged Pontiac resident, died of suffocation in her burning home; Albert Saathoff, Chatsworth man, was fatally burned when a fuel oil heater exploded.
-Aug, 6, 1945 - Eilt R. Reints, Flanagan farmer, was killed by a lightening bolt while standing in the doorway of his barn.
- Jan. 21, 1945 - Pontiac mourned the death of Dr. Thomas Lockie, a founder of the Amitytown Society of Painters, and a Pontiac dentist for 45 years.
- Feb. 20, 1945 - Dennis McDonald, former Pontiac Civil War veteran, died at Carrier Mills, at the age of 100.
- Aug. 31, 1945 - Dr. F. L. Crocker, Pontiac physician for 54 years, died at St. James Hospital.
- Oct. 29, 1945 - Thomas F. Googerty, 80, recognized as one of the nation's greatest craftsmen in decorative wrought iron work, died in St. James Hospital.
- Dec. 20, 1945 - Penelope Heylin, Saunemin school girl, was killed as the car her father was driving was hit by a train near downtown Saunemin.
- Three wards make up the city.
- Stone is quarried two miles southwest.
- Several sand banks are near the city.
- Our business streets are to be paved.
- A miners’ union and teamsters’ union exist.
- Land around here sells for $100 per acre.
- A paid fire department extinguishes blazes.
- Fairbury was first known as South Avoca.
- Two grain elevators and mills do a good business.
- Dr. S. M. Barnes is the present mayor, and a good one.
- The city hall is brick, two stories and centrally located.
- Three firms manufacture live stock and poultry remedies.
- Emery Gregg is postmaster, ably assisted by his son Charles.
- The city is lighted by the Fairbury Electric Light company.
- Two weekly papers, the Blade and the Record, are published here.
- Farmers can sell their cattle and hogs to four different firms.
- Fred Burch’s band and orchestra is the leading musical organization.
- The Western Union Telegraph Co. maintains a day and night operator.
- Several clubs and reading circles have large memberships and are prospering.
- Five saloons, two billiard halls and one bowling alley are licensed institutions.
- Railway facilities are furnished by the Toledo, Peoria and Western, and the Wabash.
- Three banks, each of which is among the safest in the state, do general banking business.
- Fairbury is half way between Peoria and the Indiana state line and 99 miles from Chicago.
- Two public parks and several private parks are here for those seeking shade in the summer.
- Two coal shafts, employing on an average of 50 men, are the principal supports for laboring men.
- E. A. Agard, a prominent citizen, is on the educational committee of the National Glassblowers’ association.
- One iron and brass foundry and two well equipped machine shops supply our neighboring cities’ wants.
- Four barber shops are being supported of which Jay Tyiers leads with three chairs and well equipped baths.
- Quite a number of retired farmers live in fine homes here and help swell our population close to the 3,000 notch.
- Fourteen blocks are provided with concrete walks and the remainder are brick and board throughout the city.
- Five attorneys try to keep the people out of trouble and seven doctors and one veterinary surgeon enjoy good practices.
- Dr. C. B. Ostrader, the oldest practitioner in this section and a survivor of the Seminole war, lives here and is hale and hearty.
- A factory where all kinds of temperance drinks are made does a good business. Combs & Hollenback are the proprietors.
- James Connors, road master of the east end division of the T. P. & W. railroad, has his headquarters here and his family also resides here.
- The Fairbury Union Agricultural Board is an institution which brings thousands of people each year to their exhibitions which always occur the second week of September.
- Conrad Munz employs upwards of 50 people each fall at his sorghum and cider works, adjacent to the city, his plant of this kind being the most extensive in central Illinois.
- C. F. H. Carrithers who manages Walter Reeves’ campaign for the Republican nomination, resides here, but is kept busy at the Reeves headquarters in Chicago nowadays.
- There are two modern brick school buildings heated by steam, twelve teachers are required under the direction of Prof. C. L. De Butts to teach the six hundred scholars enrolled.
- Three firms have large hot houses, heated by steam, and every week of the year large shipments of flowers, principally carnations and violets, are made to Chicago florists.
- Two poultry firms are keeping things lively, especially in the busy season, when as high as four cars of dressed poultry has been shipped out of the city in one week to the eastern markets.
- C. W. Keck, district manager of the Continental Insurance Co., lives here and conducts a general insurance business in the Walton building. There are eight other agencies in this line here.
- Walton Bros, run a department store on a large scale, and purchasers can get everything from a needle to a threshing outfit of them. They carry about $100,000 worth of goods in stock at all times.
- Fairbury and surrounding country is known for its fine horses, principal owners of whom are Veatch Bros., Percy James, George Westervelt, Taylor & Bartlett, John Harms, Frank Besgrove, Weasel Bros., George R. Doyle and Mr. Broadwell.
- The city is great on secret societies, all of which have a large membership and are well fixed financially; Knight Templars, Masons, Knights of Pythias, Odd Fellows, Rebekahs, Encampment, G. A. R., W. R. C., Court of Honor, Woodmen, Mutual Aid.
- The following denominations look after the spiritual welfare of the inhabitants: Presbyterian, Rev. Davies, pastor; Methodist, Rev. Head, pastor; Christian, Rev. Doughty, pastor; Baptist, supplies candidates; Episcopal, Rector Clark; Free Methodist, Rev. Barber, pastor; New Omish, Revs. Steidinger and Roth, pastors; Roman Catholic, Dr. Dillon, priest; African M. E., supplied by a pastor from Pontiac, and a Christian Science band is getting quite a following.
- Fairbury has a large number of people who own large tracts of land near here.
- The Fairbury Improvement Association is a new organization which has for its chief object to beautify the city and secure industries to employ labor.
- Aside from Walton Bros.' department store there are five groceries, two hardware, two agricultural implement, two harness and farmers’ supply, three drug, books, and wall paper, three meat markets, two furniture, one 5, 10, 15, and 25 cent store, six hotels and restaurants, one general lumber and tile yard, one bakery, two strictly confectionery and cigar stands, two clothing, one dry goods, two shoes, two millinery, four strictly livery, two sale barns, two jewelry, two merchant tailors, three music, five sewing machine agencies and eight real estate agencies. [The Weekly Pantagraph, Apr. 27, 1900; sub. by PHG]