Lincoln contains fifteen organized churches, the oldest of which is the Methodist Episcopal. Prior to the survey of Lincoln, this denomination had a class here, and conducted services, the charge being a mission of Mfc. Pulaski. Their first preaching place was the First ward school house, which they occupied until 1857, when they erected a house of worship, now owned and occupied by the Presbyterians. Among the more prominent members at the organization were Dr. A. C. Wood, W. P. Randolph, Robert Leslie, G. W. Brady, and Henry Johnson. Their first pastor was probably Rev. W. B. M. Colt, some of whose successors have been Revs. J. B. Houts, Preston Wood, W. R. Goodwin, J. G. Little, M. A. Hews, G. W. Gray, and M. D. Hawes. The present pastor is Rev. George Stevens.
See Methodist Episcopal [Early Church]
© Genealogy Trails All data on this website is Copyright by Genealogy Trails with full rights reserved for original submitters.
All data on this website is Copyright by Genealogy Trails with full rights reserved for original submitters.