Welcome to Illinois Genealogy Trails
Macoupin County Biographies

lines

 

MADDY, ISHAM S. AND STINNETT, LUCY

Isham MADDY was born c. 1827-28 in Tennessee and died November 11, 1861. He is buried in Liscom (Hollingsworth) Cemetery, Palmyra, Illinois. He married Lucy STINNETT on January 9, 1848 in Macoupin County, Illinois. She was born c. 1828-30 in Claiborne County, Tennessee, the daughter of Isham STINNETT, JR. and Mahala ?. Submitted by Anne Stinnett



PANHORST, Wilhelm B.
William B. Panhorst whose death occurred in June 23, 1879, was one of the finest of Staunton's citizens, and a leading representative of the German population of the County. He was born at Langerrich in Prussia April 5th, 1828. He attended school until about 14 years of age and when 19 decided to come to America. He arrived in this county in the year 1847. Without a friend or relative on whom he could depend for assistance, he had to fight his own way in the world as best he could. Nothing better offered he found employment as a laborer in a St. Louis brick yard. He saved his money and soon had enough money accumulated to bring over his mother, Catharine Maria "Elsabein", nee Bronstrup Panhorst and sisters Johanna Frederike and Catharine Wilhelmina from Germany. They arrived in New Orleans on the HERMANN in November 1854. Catherine Wilhelmina was shortly thereafter married to Henry J. Kuhlenkamp in Alton, Illinois. The Kuhlenkamp’s raised four children on their farm near Brighton, Illinois.

Mrs. William B. Panhorst was born in the village of Eystrup, near Hoge, Hanover, May 11, 1837, and was the daughter of Frederick Ruther, who emigrated with his family to America in 1847, and first settled on Smooth Prairie, Madison County, and afterwards, in 1850, moved to Staunton. In 1854 Mr. Panhorst engaged in the brick business at Edwardsville and in 1855 came to Staunton where he began making brick in partnership with Philip Menk. His partnership with Mr. Menk lasted two years after which he engaged in the brick business on his own account, and followed it until 1864, when he formed a partnership with James Taylor and opened a store in Staunton. He had at this time, by his industry and energy accumulated a capitol of $2,000. This partnership lasted for six years during which time the firm made a large and profitable business.

After going out of the store in 1870, he was occupied in no regular business until a year later, when, in company with Henry Voge, they embarked in the enterprise of sinking a coal shaft at Staunton on the line of the Wabash Railway, which had recently been constructed. This shaft was one of the first sunk along the line of the railroad, and at the time the enterprise was commenced many doubted that it would ever prove a financial success. A large outlay of money was required and Mr. Panhorst staked his whole fortune in the success of the shaft. Operations were begun in Feb 1871 and the first coal shipped the following October. It was necessary to sink the shaft to a depth of 325 feet at which depth a vein of coal of superior quality was found. The mine was opened up at just the right time to prove a fortunate investment for the owners. A contract to supply the Wabash Railroad engines proved most remunerative and for several years he and his partner made money rapidly. He disposed of his interest in the coal shaft to his partner, Mr. Voge, in 1877, and from that date on he was not actively engaged in business.

His health began to fail and despite all that could be done for his restoration, for the few months preceding his death he declined rapidly. He had in contemplation a trip across the ocean, thinking that a visit to the land of his birth and the scenes of his childhood might bring vigor to his impaired constitution. In the spring previous to his decease, and acting on the recommendation of his physician he went to Hot Springs, Arkansas, but the separation from his family seemed to counteract any good effect to be received from a sojourn there. He had the courage, however to face death calmly and fearlessly and died June 23, 1879, in the 52nd year of his age. Although in the middle of the harvest, when every farmer in the surrounding country was busy with his crops, the funeral was the most largely attended that ever took place in Staunton, showing the marked respect and esteem in which he was held. The funeral services were conducted by the pastor of the Evangelical Lutheran church, and the German and English Methodist churches, his remains were interred on the Ruther farm cemetery. This cemetery was located at the end of Hubbard Street near State Highway 4. The cemetery was closed in April 1922 to allow for the right-of-way of the railroad. His son, Henry Otto Panhorst, had the remains of all interred there moved to the current Memorial Park Cemetery. The Memorial Park Cemetery ground was originally part of another son’s property, John Christopher Panhorst.

Mr. and Mrs. William B. Panhorst raised nine children, all born in or near Staunton: Frederick William, 1857-1905, married Emma Magdalena Braun; John Christopher "Chris", 1858-1934 married Sara Elizabeth Webb; Maria "Sophia", 1861-1896, married Urban Weimer; Caroline W. "Carrie", 1864-1883; William Henry, 1866-1868; George Otto, 1860-1872, Albert Edward, 1872-1881, Henry Otto, 1875-1928, married Josephine Francis Klinefelter.

Personally Mr. Panhorst was a man of great energy. He began life with only his own resources on which to rely and the competency which he accumulated was the direct result of his own labor and his wise and enterprising investments. Framed in habits of economy, yet liberal in his expenditures, educating his family and surrounding his family with every comfort. In later years he was a man of liberal spirit, supporting the churches of each denomination. He was a good and useful citizen and his enterprise did much toward the growth of Staunton. The opening of the Staunton coal mine, for instance for which he furnished the capital, has been of great importance to the prosperity of the town. His influence and sound judgment made him one of the best political organizers in his part of the county, and in the county campaigns he was always largely relied upon by the republican leaders. He held many offices of trust. He was a member of the board of trustees for Staunton, and held the office of president of the board. He was twice elected a member of the board of Supervisors from Staunton Township, holding that office shortly after the adoption of the township organization, and again in 1878. He discharged every trust with the same fidelity he carried into his own business affairs. He was genial, pleasant, intelligent, public spirited and high-minded, and by his death the town of Staunton lost a valuable citizen. [The foregoing is an edited version of a 1907 article in the "Staunton Star" - For additional information, contact: John William Panhorst, Jr.]


MADDY, JAMES and STINNETT, ELIZABETH

Elizabeth STINNETT was born October 25 or 31, 1791 and died February 15, 1868 in Palmyra, Macoupin County, Illinois. She is buried in Liscom (Hollingsworth) Cemetery in Palmyra. She married James MADDY, who was born c. 1787-90 in Virginia. He died April 15, 1864 and is also buried in Liscom (Hollingsworth) Cemetery in Palmyra, Illinois. He served on juried and worked on roads several times from 1813 to 1823 in Claiborne County, Tennessee. He was made a constable in May 1815, but there is no record of how long he served. He was appointed constable again in August 1818 and served until May 1820. He was also involved in several lawsuits from 1813 to 1823. James is listed as a blacksmith with a personal property value of $900. In the 1850 census he is residing in Macoupin County, Illinois. He received money from the estate of Isham STINNETT, SR. on January 13, 1858 and again on August 23, 1859.   [Submitted by Anne Stinnett]



STINNETT, NANCY HUGHES AND HOLLINGSWORTH, WILLIAM ALBERT

Nancy Hughes STINNETT was born November 11, 1811 in Claiborne County, Tennessee and died January 14 1897 or 1899in Macoupin County, Illinois. On September 16, 1830 in Tennessee she married William Allen HOLLINGSWORTH. He was born September 18, 1805 in Campbell County, Tennessee and died September 16, 1881 in Macoupin County, Illinois. He is buried in Liscom (Hollingsworth) Cemetery , Palmyra, Illinois. He was the son of James HOLLINGSWORTH, a farmer and stockman and Rebecca WYATTE. W. A. HOLLINGSWORTH bought land in Macoupin County in 1835 and in addition was deeded land by Isham STINNETT in Claiborne County, Tennessee in 1838. He deeded land to Joseph HUNTER in Claiborne County, Tennessee in 1842. He was living in Macoupin County, Illinois in 1850 according to the census. They resided in Macoupin County in 1857-1859 when William was one of the administrators of the estate of Isham STINNETT, SR. Per Andrew HUSON, William A. HOLLINGSWORTH and Isham STINNETT, JR. had the money and land and the others worked for them.   [Submitted by Anne Stinnett ]



STINNETT, ISHAM
Isham Stinnett was born May 29, 1769 in Amherst County, Virginia. He married Elizabeth Austin on April 14, 1789. She was born October 26, 1772 and was a member of the Davis Creek Baptist church, Claiborne County, Tennessee. Isham was on the tax list for Greene County, TN in 1799. He was a farmer and also a member of Davis Creek Baptist church in Claiborne County, Tennessee. He was granted land in Claiborne County and was involved in several land transactions from 1805 to 1838. He was summoned to jury duty in Claiborne County as well as being called to help lay out roads, review widow’s dowers, etc during the years 1806 to 1828. Isham was listed on the 1830 census of Claiborne County. The four females listed in the household are probably his wife Elizabeth and their three youngest daughters, Nancy, Mahala, and Olive. Elizabeth died August 16, 1835 in Speedwell, Claiborne County, Tennessee. Isham was married for the second time to Mrs. Rebecca Hollingsworth on May 17, 1836. He bought land in Macoupin County, Illinois in 1839. He probably moved there from Claiborne County, but there is a record that he deeded land in 1841 in Claiborne County, Tennessee to William T. Moss. He hasn’t been found on the 1840 census, but he is found on the 1850 census in Macoupin County, Illinois as a farmer with property valued at $4000. On March 25, 1856 by petition of Isham Stinnett, Jr., he was declared incompetent by the Macoupin County court because of old age. He died intestate on January 21, 1857 at Palmyra, Macoupin County, Illinois and is buried 1.5 miles NW of Palmyra in the Liscom (Hollingsworth) Cemetery.

Submitted by Anne Stinnett

KELLER, CHARLES

Charles Keller

Charles Keller was born in Carlinville, Illinois on July 20, 1845. When he was just a boy of 16 years of age he enlisted in the civil war at Camp Butler, Illinois in the Thirty-second regiment, Illinois, volunteers, and re-enlisted at Natchez in the same regiment and served until the end of the Civil War. He went through the battles of Shiloh, Corinth and Vicksburg and was with General Sherman's troops on the famous march to the sea. He was never wounded. After the war he settled in Matoon, Illinois, where he learned the tinner's trade and after two years went to Terre Haute, Ind. There, in 1866 he married. For some time after that he moved over the country, settling down in Gainesville, Texas in 1880. He went into what is now Oklahoma with Captain Payne's colony in 1887 to boom the country. They were driven out by soldiers. He came from Choctaw to Oklahoma City April 2, 1892. He engaged in the tin and stove business, at California and Harvey avenues, selling out soon to come to a homestead opposite the poor farm. There he stayed until the fair opened in 1908. Keller had charge of the construction work for a period of four years, and the results he achieved have been highly praised.
He then moved out to the present home, on the Sixteenth street road, northeast of the fairgrounds.
He was made a Mason at Gainesville, Texas, lodge No 270 in 1874, and served as senior wanlen. He was the first elected master of North Canadian ledge No. 3, which later became Oklahoma City lodge No. 36, the oldest in the city. He was quoted as saying, "Yes, Oklahoma City was really tough in the old days. The six shooter was the law. He was a Sunday school teacher and had some tough boys in it. They played cards in Sunday school, and threatened me when I told them to stop. The next Sunday I came to Sunday school with a six-shooter on my hip. The boys left me alone". He chuckled and his eyes twinkled as his thoughts went back to those days. "Two of the boys went to the penitentary later, and got killed", he added.
He is buried in Rose Hill Cemetery simply with C. H. Keller 1845-1922.
He was the son of Captain Abram Davis Keller and his wife Mary.
[Information taken in part from an article in "The Daily Oklahoman" on April 10, 1922 on page 40, submitted by Linda Craig. Other information is from family records]


CHAPMAN, J.F.
MAJ. J. F. CHAPMAN, farmer and stock-raiser, P.O. Moline, was born in Macoupin County, Ill., in 1826. In 1846, he enlisted in the Fourth Illinois Infantry, Company E and served nearly a year in the Mexican War, was at the battle of Vera Cruz. After returning from the army, he engaged in farming until 1852, and from that time until 1860, was engaged in lumbering at Stanton, Ill., took a trip to California in 1850, and was engaged in mining a short time. In 1860, he sold his mill and lumbering business interests. In 1862, he raised a company at Stanton for the One Hundred and Twenty-second Illinois Infantry, which he organized; and was elected Major of the same, and served until July 1865. He was in the department of the Tennessee, and Sixteenth Army Corps under Gen. A. J. Smith, was in the battle of Parker's Cross Roads, Nashville and Mobile, and some forty other engagements. After coming out of the army, he followed farming until 1870, when he sold out and emigrated to Kansas, locating in Howard County, took a claim on Section 28, Town 31, Range 10, on which he has remained ever since; he has added 160 acres, making a farm of 320 acres, and is now raising stock. His place is well improved, with good buildings, plenty of water, timber and a fine orchard of 140 bearing apple trees and 500 peach trees, and small fruits of all kinds, he has one of the best walnut and maple groves in the county. He was elected County Surveyor in 1876, serving two terms in Elk County after the county was divided; in 1879, he became identified with the Moline Town Company, and has been identified with the company continuously since. He was married in 1847 to Mrs. Joanna Sparks, of Illinois. They have eight children living--Nancy M., Quincy M., Jesse A., Thomas, L.H., Richard, James L. and Schuyler E. He is a member of the E. M. Stanton Post, No. 23, G. A. R., of Hope Lodge No. 155, A. F. & A. M. and Howard Chapter, No. 49.
[Source: "History of the State of Kansas", by William G. Cutler - Submitted by Kyle M. Condon]



BARTLETT, Mrs. Maud Whitehead, educator, born in Gillespie, Ill., 10th September, 1865. With her parents she removed to Ohio in 1879, and to Kansas five years later. Fascinated with music, she left school before she was graduated that she might, by teaching, be able to finish her musical education. After teaching both day school and music, she finally adopted the former as a profession, and for nine years, the last three of which were spent in the El Dorado, Kans., schools, she devoted herself to the duties of the schoolroom, meanwhile steadily pursuing her musical studies. A member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, her life for years has been one constant sacrifice to the happiness of those about her. On l0th September, 1891, she was married to Harry Bartlett, of Denver, Col., which place has since been her home.
[Source: "American Women Fifteen Hundred Biographies", Volume 1, Publ. 1897 - Transcribed by Marla Snow]

BLACKBURN, Gideon, clergyman, founder, college president, was born Aug. 27, 1772, in Augusta county. Ga. He passed the last forty years of his life in the western states in preaching and organizing churches; and in 1803-09 in his mission to the Cherokees, establishing a school at Hywassee. He established a school in Tennessee in 1806; and in 1827-30 was president of Center college of Kentucky. He died Aug. 23, 1838, in Carlinville, Ill.
[Source: "Herringshaw's National Library of American Biography: Contains Thirty-five Thousand Biographies of the Acknowledged Leaders of Life and Thought of the United States", by William Herringshaw, 1909 – Transcribed by Therman Kellar]

H.J. BAILEY -- Born in Macoupin County Illinois, September 19, 1836; died in Kirksville May 08, 1898. He was soon thrown upon his own resources. He came to Kirksville {Mo} in 1854, and with the exception of four years, he was actively engaged in business thereafter until his death. he was twice Alderman of the town, and was Vice President of the Columbian School of Osteopathy. He was a member of the Cumberland Presbyterian church. [Source: "The History of Adair County Missouri" by E.M. Violette (1911) Sub. by a FoFG]


CARPENTER, William G.
CARPENTER, William Guy, lawyer; born, Macoupin Co., ILL., Dec. 20, 1872; son of Norman C. and Sophia (Benion) Carpenter; secured common and high school education and then attended the State Normal School, Normal, ILL., later becoming a student at University of Chicago; matriculated in St. Louis Law School (Washington University), graduating with degree of LL.B., 1901; married, St. Louis, Feb. 1, 1905, Josephine Wilcox; two children: Frank Leland and Dorothy. Admitted to Missouri bar, 1901, and has since engaged in general practice at St. Louis. Independent in politics. Presbyterian. Club: City. Recreation: outdoor diversions. Office: Security Bldg. Residence: 7413 Murdock Ave.
[Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater]


DAVIS, Theodorus
Theodorus Davis, a native of Kentucky, was one of the early Illinois pioneers. In the spring of 1823 he settled here with his wife and children Theodorus, Jr., John L., Belden, William H.H., Morgan, Oliver C., Porter, Polly, who became the wife of David Gregory, Sally, who married John Tomer and Lavinia, who married a Mr. Ward. The boys were noted for their skill as violinists. Theodorus married a widow, sister of John Burleson. John L, married a sister of Oliver W. Hall and Belden married Mary, a daughter of Seth T. Hodges.  Theodorus Davis became a prominent and prosperous citizen of the county.  Oliver died on the plains while on his way to California.  Belden moved to Missouri.  Some of the family died there.  Theodorus and others of the family moved to Iowa and some of the representatives of the family are still living in the county. [Source: History of Macoupin County Illinois; Biographical and Pictorial; Hon. Charles A Walker, Supervising Editor; Volume I, Illustrated, Chicago, The S.J. Clarke Publishing Company, 1911; Page 93; JD, Sub by FoFG]


LOVE, John
John Love, who accompanied Hodges to this land of promise, was his life long friend.  Love married Cynthia Seymore in Tennessee and with his wife and two children traveled from the south on horseback.  Samuel Love, long a resident here, was born in the county in 1824, and John Jefferson Love in 1819, in Palmyra township. [Source: History of Macoupin County Illinois; Biographical and Pictorial; Hon. Charles A Walker, Supervising Editor; Volume I, Illustrated, Chicago, The S.J. Clarke Publishing Company, 1911; Page 91; JD, Sub by FoFG]


BURLESON, John
John Burleson was a stepbrother of Seth T. Hodges and came to this county in 1827.  With him was his mother and other members of the family, all of whom were taken into the home of Hodges. [Source: History of Macoupin County Illinois; Biographical and Pictorial; Hon. Charles A Walker, Supervising Editor; Volume I, Illustrated, Chicago, The S.J. Clarke Publishing Company, 1911; Page 95; JD, Sub by FoFG]


ANDERSON, Crittenden Henry Crawford
Probably no one of Macoupin county's pioneer citizens was more zealous or tireless in his efforts to promote the welfare of the community than the late Crittenden Henry Crawford Anderson, who owned extensive interests here and for fifty-six years was a prominent factor in the growth and development of various enterprises of Carlinville.

He was born in Christian county, Kentucky, seven miles from Hopkinville, on the 26th of January, 1819, being the eldest child in a family of eight. His parents were Colonel James Campbell and Ann (Harris) Anderson, the father a native of Louisa county and the mother of Augusta county, Virginia, but they were of Scotch and Irish extraction. In this family were four sons and four daughters, two of whom are still living, Henry Clay and Mary Ann, the latter the wife of W. C. Anderson. The father, who was a farmer, came to Macoupin county, Illinois, with his wife and family in 1834, settling at Anderson's Point, where he engaged in agricultural pursuits until his death. They arrived in Carlinville on the 27th of October, 1834, and the first night the entire family camped out, but they soon erected a log cabin on the east side of the square, on the site of the old postoffice, and there they spent their first winter in Illinois. The following spring the father entered four hundred acres of government land in Carlinville township, upon which he located, continuing its cultivation until he died in 1851 of cholera, which he and his wife and several relatives contracted, all dying within a few days.

Crittenden Henry Crawford Anderson was a youth of fifteen years when the family located in Macoupin county, and his education, begun in the schools of his native state, was completed at Cooley's high school in Carlinville. Upon him devolved much of the work of the farm, of which he had the entire management for about two years, becoming his father's business associate at the age of nineteen. In connection with the cultivation of their extensive fields they raised stock and bought and sold lands. In November, 1852, he left the old homestead, locating on a farm in the vicinity of the fair grounds, and he continued to devote his attention to agricultural pursuits until May, 1853, when he formed a partnership with his brother-in-law, Dr. R. W. Glass, and they opened the first exclusive drug store in Carlinville. It was located at the northwest corner of the square and was operated under the firm name of Anderson & Glass. In 1855 and 1856 Mr. Anderson erected a three story brick building on the east side of the square, known as the duplex building, this being the first three story building erected in the county. The lower floor was used for the drug store, while he and his family occupied the second floor as a residence and the third floor was the Masonic hall. In 1860 he withdrew from business and returned to his farm, which he operated for eight years, and then opened an abstract and real-estate office in the Chestnut & Dubois building. After being identified with this for two years he opened a banking establishment under the name of the Henderson Loan & Real Estate association. He continued this in its corporate capacity until April 30, 1878, when he surrendered the charter of incorporation and organized the business as a private bank. The capital stock was increased from five to one hundred thousand dollars paid-up capital, the enterprise being conducted under the name of the Banking House of C. H. C. Anderson. It prospered in a manner entirely commensurate with the expectations of its founder, becoming one of the strongest financial institutions of the county and is still in a flourishing condition. Mr. Anderson was a man of unusual capabilities, possessing the foresight and sagacity which enabled him to recognize and utilize the opportunities presented to the best possible advantage. His success, however, was never achieved at the expense of honor or by means of taking undue advantage but was the result of those inherent qualities which enabled him to so intelligently direct and conserve his forces as to attain the best possible results. His banking institution had a reputation for integrity and honorable dealing that placed it above question, and as its head Mr. Anderson filled many positions of trust in the capacity of executor and administrator.

On the 20th of October, 1857, Mr. Anderson was united in marriage to Miss Mary Jane Stratton, whose birth occurred seven miles south of Carlinville on the 22d of June, 1841, being the only child of Marshall H. and Rebecca (Blackburn) Stratton. Her father was a son of John Stratton, a native of Virginia, but of English extraction, who always devoted his energies to agricultural pursuits. Two of his brothers participated in the war of 1812. Marshall H. Stratton was also a native of Virginia, his birth having there occurred on the 24th of January, 1813. Coming here in 1834, he was one of the pioneer settlers of Macoupin county, where he acquired large tracts of government land, having three hundred and eighty acres in his homestead in addition to other holdings. The last five years of his life were spent at the home of his daughter in Carlinville, where he passed away on the 13th of January, 1898. The mother of Mrs. Anderson was born in Pennsylvania on the 8th of May, 1816, her parents being Thomas and Betty (Bowen) Blackburn, both of English descent. Eight children were born of this marriage, all of whom are now deceased: Mary, who married Mr. Wisegarver; Ann, who became the wife of Mr. Ross; Rachel, who married Mr. Overstreet; Rebecca, who became Mrs. Stratton; and John, Elias, Anthony and Thomas. The father passed away in Pennsylvania, after which the mother removed to Illinois, living for four or five years in the vicinity of Carlinville. Later she removed farther west with two of her sons and they finally located in Utah, where they all died. Mrs. Stratton passed away in Carlinville on the 1st of June, 1875.

The only child of parents in comfortable circumstances, Mrs. Anderson was reared amidst unusually pleasant environment for pioneer times, passing her girlhood on her father's homestead in Brushy Mound township and acquiring her education at Monticello Seminary. By the marriage of Mr. and Mrs. Anderson there were born three children, two of whom died in infancy. Effie, the only survivor, married Senator W. L. Mounts, and has become the mother of two sons and one daughter: Bruce Henry, Marion Evelyn and William Walter. They are also residents of Carlinville.

Mr. Anderson was a member of the Methodist Episcopal church, with which his wife is still affiliated, and fraternally he belonged to the Masonic order, having for many years been treasurer of the local lodge. In matters politic he was originally a whig, having cast his first vote in 1840 for William Henry Harrison, but upon the disruption of the party he gave his allegiance to the democrats, to whose candidates and policy he was afterward most loyal. It is men such as Mr. Anderson who form the advance guard of civilization in all pioneer countries. Their dominating personality, unremitting energy and tenacity of purpose compelling their recognition as leaders in various communities. Mr. Anderson passed away over twenty years ago, his demise occuring on the 10th of January, 1890, but those industries and enterprises which he introduced and firmly established, despite apparently insurmountable obstacles, today stand as monuments to his ambition. [Source: History of Macoupin County Illinois; Biographical and Pictorial; Hon. Charles A Walker, Supervising Editor; Volume II, Illustrated, Chicago, The S.J. Clarke Publishing Company, 1911]


ENSLOW, Judson P.
A successful farmer, and also prominent in financial circles of Macoupin county, being cashier of the Bank of Atwater, Judson P. Enslow has gained an enviable reputation and is recognized as one of the most enterprising and progressive men of this section. He was born in Nilwood township, March 20, 1865, a son of David C. and Milby J. (Gibson) Enslow, both of whom were born in this state. The father came with his family to Macoupin county in 1865 and purchased two hundred and forty acres of land in Nilwood township, which he cleared and improved. He later acquired more land and became the owner of nine hundred and forty acres, becoming one of the prominent land owners of this section. He begun his search for fortune by working as a farm hand by the month, and drove hogs from Jersey and Greene counties to St. Louis, often collecting as many as eight or nine hundred head of hogs in one drove. His active and useful career was closed by death in September, 1894. Mrs. Enslow still survives and makes her home at Pontiac, Illinois, being now seventy-five years of age.

Judson P. Enslow was a member of a family of eleven children, ten of whom are now living. He attended the district schools, but as he grew to manhood was not satisfied with the limited training afforded in the country schoolhouse and, therefore, went to Valparaiso, Indiana, and carried his studies further in the noted college at that place. After returning home he worked as a farm hand for about six months, but he is not of a nature to remain long in a subordinate position and he rented four hundred acres, which he cultivated to excellent advantage for five years. He then rented a farm of three hundred acres and, after two years' additional experience, purchased one hundred and sixty-five acres in Shaws Point township, which he has improved until it is one of the highly productive properties of this region.

In 1904 he associated with O. B. Cain, John M. Wagner, W. A. Trout and Charles P. Brown in the organization of the Bank of Atwater and was elected cashier, a position which he has since held to the satisfaction of the stockholders and of all who have business to transact at the bank. He still retains his farm, which is cultivated under his direction, and his industry and good judgment are meeting with well-earned reward.

In January, 1893, Mr. Enslow was married to Miss Martha Ellen Trout, a daughter of  E. D. and America (Anderson) Trout, both of whom were born in Kentucky. They removed to Missouri and about 1865 came to Macoupin county. Mr. Trout purchased a farm of one hundred and sixty acres in Shaws Point township, which proved a lucrative investment. Here he continued until his death in 1901. His wife passed away eight years later, in 1909. Mr. and Mrs. Enslow are the parents of six children, four of whom survive, namely: Leon J., who is thirteen years of age; Edward A., aged eleven years; Homer D., aged eight years; and Ada Lucille, six years of age. Ralph Harold died in 1896 and Milby is also deceased.

In politics Mr. Enslow gives his support to the democratic party. He takes an active interest in public affairs and filled the office of supervisor of the township in 1891, also serving as county commissioner in 1908. Fraternally he is identified with the Masonic order. He is not connected with any religious denomination, but his wife holds membership in the Christian church. From his boyhood he has been remarkably energetic and efficient in all his undertakings, showing an interest in his work, and an ability in carrying out plans, which are important elements in the attainment of all worthy objects. He is a representative of a class of men who never lose faith in their power to meet and overcome difficulties, and who are natural leaders wherever they may be found. His friends have great faith in his continued advancement to larger responsibilities as the years pass. [Source: History of Macoupin County Illinois; Biographical and Pictorial; Hon. Charles A Walker, Supervising Editor; Volume II, Illustrated, Chicago, The S.J. Clarke Publishing Company, 1911]


DEWS, William Henry
William Henry Dews, widely and prominently known throughout this district in connection with his agricultural and financial interests, is one of Macoupin county's native sons, his birth occurring in Western Mound township, March 20, 1852, his parents being John and Sylvia (Morris) Dews. The paternal grandparents, Thomas and Mary Dews, were natives of Yorkshire, England, where the family had been established many generations ago, coming to that country originally from France. There Thomas Dews engaged in agricultural pursuits and there his son, John Dews, the father of our subject, was born, in the village of Helaugh, on the 15th of September, 1806. In 1829 he crossed the Atlantic to America, but returned to his native country for a short visit soon afterward. Upon again coming to this country in 1831 he located first at Cincinnati, Ohio, where he remained three years, after which he came to Macoupin county, in 1834, and located upon government land in Western Mound township. He was a farmer by occupation and continued to engage in that line of activity throughout his active career. That he was successful in his undertaking is indicated by the fact that at the time of his death he was the owner of fifteen hundred acres of land and was numbered among the extensive land owners and successful business men of this locality. He had three brothers who also sought a home in this country, namely: William, a farmer, who passed away in Cincinnati, Ohio; Robert, who also engaged in agricultural pursuits in Macoupin county and died about 1853, during the cholera epidemic; and George, a Methodist minister, who passed away in Greene county, Illinois. John Dews married Sylvia Morris, who was born on the 8th of June, 1819, near Thornmore Inn, Lincolnshire, England, a daughter of John and Ann (Sexty) Morris. Her father, a son of John and Mary Morris, was born in England on the 17th of June, 1792, and in his native country was married, on the 1st of May, 1815, to Ann Sexty, who was born May 4, 1794, a daughter of Richard and Rebecca Sexty, natives of the parish of Thorn, Yorkshire, England. John Morris came with his family to America in 1830, and here established his home in Chesterfield township, Macoupin county, Illinois, where he took up government land. In his family were eleven children, namely: Hiram Sexty, born April 15, 1816, a sailor who was lost at sea; Eric, born September 13, 1817; Sylvia, the mother of our subject; Felix, born February 25, 1821; Ann, born September 8, 1823; Mary, born May 6, 1825; Elizabeth, born January 18, 1827; Robert, who died in infancy; Rebecca, who also passed away in infancy; John, born January 25, 1832; and Adelaide, born June 1, 1834. Unto John and Sylvia (Morris) Dews were born nine children, of whom three died in infancy, the others being: Eliza, the deceased wife of Charles Towse, of Chesterfield; Mary Francis, the widow of Bethel Towse, residing in Sterling, Kansas; Elizabeth Ann, who married John Dams, of Chesterfield; Hannah, the wife of Benson Weisner, of Greene county, Illinois; William Henry, of this review; and Abiah S., who married James W. Hall, of Chesterfield, mentioned elsewhere in this history.

William Henry Dews, whose name introduces this sketch, was educated in the public schools of this county and during the period of his boyhood and youth, when not busy with his text-books, he assisted his father in the work of the home farm, thus gaining comprehensive experience and thorough knowledge concerning the best methods of carrying on agriculture. In 1894 he became identified with general merchandising in Chesterfield, Illinois, and was therewith connected until 1900, when he sold his stock and withdrew from mercantile interests. In that year he organized the Bank of Chesterfield, of which he became president, and he has since remained the executive head of that institution, which is one of the well known and popular moneyed concerns in the county. Throughout this entire period, however, he maintained a deep interest in agricultural pursuits and now divides his attention between his financial and farming enterprises. From time to time he has added to his holdings until today he is the owner of eleven hundred acres of farm land, all in one body, equipped with fine buildings and constituting one of the best improved and valuable properties of Macoupin county. At one time he also had heavy live-stock interests, being one of the first to introduce fine blooded Hereford cattle into this section, and was recognized throughout this district as a breeder of high grade stock. In the management of both branches of his affairs he manifested much executive ability, keen sagacity and clear judgment, and is rightly classed among the most prosperous and successful residents of his part of the state.

Mr. Dews was married, on the 18th of August, 1892, to Miss Hattie Belle Kidd, of Virden, Macoupin county, a daughter of Simon James and Martha E. (Evans) Kidd. The paternal grandparents of Mrs. Dews were Benjamin and Hannah (Reese) Kidd, natives of Virginia, who came to Macoupin county early in the year 1830, and here the mother passed away when her son Simon was eight years of age. The father, a farmer by occupation, died in 1878, in southern Illinois. In their family were ten children, of whom three passed away in early childhood, Simon James Kidd being the ninth in order of birth. The others were as follows: Mary Ann, the deceased wife of Jackson Barr, of Kansas; John W., of Litchfield, Illinois; Isaac R., deceased; Sarah, the deceased wife of James W. Henderson, of Barrs Store, Illinois; Thomas, who died in Lincoln, Nebraska, in 1880; and Lizzie, who has also passed away. Simon James Kidd, who was born on the 10th of March, 1848, had an interesting military record, enlisting for service in the Civil war when only fifteen years of age. He became a private of the Fourteenth Illinois Volunteer Infantry, joining his regiment at Vicksburg, and from the very first -saw much active service. He participated in all of the important engagements of his command and was with Sherman during the latter’s Atlanta campaign. He was captured while on detached duty, and held at the prison at Andersonville for a period of six months, or until the close of the war. Throughout the entire period of his service he was loyal to the cause for which the Union was struggling, whether stationed on the lonely picket line or in the midst of the fight, and never, throughout his service, did his courage wane nor his loyalty falter. He was married, on the 27th of December, 1868, to Martha E. Evans, a daughter of William and Louisiana (Noble) Evans, who were the parents of six children, namely: Belle, the wife of Clifford Roland, of Farmersville, Illinois; Martha E., the wife of Mr. Kidd; Catharine, the widow of Joseph Beard, of St. Elmo, Illinois; Albert Evans, of Paumee, Illinois; Benjamin Evans, residing at Virden, and Hattie, who married C. L. Davidson, of Virden. Unto Mr. and Mrs. Simon James Kidd were born six children, as follows: Hattie Belle, the deceased wife of William Henry Dews, of this review; William and Albert, both of Portland, Oregon; Mary, residing in Chesterfield; Richard, also of Portland; and James E., of Virden. Unto William Henry Dews and Hattie Belle Kidd were born three children: John Dale, born December 7, 1894; Olive, who passed away in infancy; and William Simon, whose birth occurred on the 23d of February, 1901. March 3, 1901, Mrs. Dews passed away at Chesterfield.

Mr. Dews is well known to the fraternal circles of this community as a member of the Odd Fellows lodge and the Knights of Pythias, while his religious faith is that of the Episcopal church, of whom he is now serving as vestryman. He gives stalwart allegiance to the republican party and for some time served as justice of peace. His fellow citizens manifested their appreciation of his ability and worth by electing him to the office of mayor of Chesterfield, and while incumbent in that office he instituted many needed reforms and improvements, chief among the latter being the laying of cement walks throughout the village. His efforts have ever been closely allied with those of the community in which he resides and his efforts have been effective forces in promoting progress and advancing the general welfare in this portion of the county. The family occupies a foremost position in the social circles of Chesterfield, and Mr. Dews is popular with a large circle of friends which is almost coextensive with the circle of his acquaintance. [Source: History of Macoupin County Illinois; Biographical and Pictorial; Hon. Charles A Walker, Supervising Editor; Volume II, Illustrated, Chicago, The S.J. Clarke Publishing Company, 1911]


Rhoads Family of Grayson County, Kentucky and Macoupin County, Illinois
[The Silent Footsteps  July, 1990; Material acquired 1980, written in 1941 by Thomas M Mitchell, grandson of Henry Rhoads]
In presenting these lines for your consideration it is in the belief that they may be of interest to your readers who like to recall Pioneer Days and families of Macoupin County, IL.  The immediate occasion of this letter is, the death of Richard Rhoads, youngest son of Dr Henry Rhoads of Rhoads Point, now Medora, IL., and a few days later, the passing of Harmon Talley, a son-in-law of Henry Rhoads.  Both deaths occurred in January of this year, 1941, the former in his 86th year and the latter in his 92nd year of age.
With the death of these two men, the last chapter is written in the family life history of a large and prominent family of pioneers of Shipman and Chesterfield townships, of Macoupin County, Il., who came to this locality during the presidency of Andrew Jackson (7th president of US, 1829-1837), before telegraphs or railroads were in use in the West.
Richard was the last surviving heir of the family, and Harmon Tally was the last of the in-laws to pass away, both of venerable age and by coincidence, within a few days of each other.
Jacob Richard Rhoads was born in March of 1855 near Medora, Il., then went to Peoria, Il., where he was married and lived until the death of his wife in 1924.  His six children all died in infancy.  The last fifteen years of his life was spent with his sister, Susan Rhoads Ringer, in Rocky Ford, Colorado, until her death in November, 1937 at the age of 85 years.  Susan Rhoads will be pleasantly remembered by the residents of Shipman and Medora where she taught school in a number of districts in those localities including three years as Principal of the Shipman School and two terms in the Medora School until her marriage to Urias S Ringer in 1880.  They farmed a few years in Pioneer Kansas but later moved to Rocky Ford, Co.  Susan Rhoads Ringer was a highly respected noble, Christian character and an honor to the family of Henry Rhoads.
Harmon Talley was married to Evaline Rhoads, daughter of Henry Rhoads by his 2nd marriage.  They lived at Plasa, Il until about 1886 when they moved with their three young daughters and other emigrants to the plains of Western Kansas in the early days of grasshoppers, blizzards, and dirt-floor dugouts.  Discouraged by the uneven struggle, they moved to Southern Kansas where they remained.  The wife died at Hutchinson in 1904, and Eva, the 2nd daughter died in 1909.  Mr Talley made his home with his daughter Edith during his last years until his death on January 19, 1941.  He is survived by two daughters, Mrs Edith Shultz of Pretty Prairie, Kansas and Mrs Aima Literal of Columbus, In besides grandchildren and great-grandchildren.
Drawing aside the curtains of time for a brief glimpse of pioneer days in Macoupin County we see a group of settlers arriving from a "Hilly," unproductive region of KY about the year of 1831.  As distant field always look greener, so the alluring stories reached them of the rolling prairies and fertile valleys and primeval forests of the young state of Illinois.  This appealed to Jacob Rhoads and his six sturdy sons of Grayson Co., KY., and with true spirit they "pitched their tents," toward the Northwest in the belief that the , "Promised Land," was ready to be possessed by them.  
In this band of six brothers and one sister, each with a large family, it is estimated there were about 50 individuals bearing the names of "Rhoads."  Whether they came in one body and at the same time is not clear, nor is it important, but some available records indicate a mass migration in the year 1831.
The exodus was made in true pioneer style.  After months of extensive preparations the caravan of covered wagon-ox-drawn moved out of Grayson County, KY., bearing the entire families of the sons, of Jacob Rhoads (who is thought to have seen service in the Revolutionary War).  There is also authority for the belief that a son remained in KY.  As months were required for the trip and many hardships were encountered on the journey.   Twelve miles a day was an average gain, owning to the roads being so bad and tired oxen.
The following incident of the journey is told by Benjamin Cleaver Rhoads, son of Cleaver Rhoads who made the journey as a boy with his father, Henry Rhoads who is now past 90 years of age.  Benjamin is now past 90 years of age and living in Arkansas City, Kansas.  Benjamin Rhoads said his father told him the entire caravan was made up of about one hundred sixty people.  It was slow and Indians were plentiful but peaceful.  They often gathered about the whites in idle curiosity.  One young man in the party had always wanted the thrill of killing an Indian and so one day he needlessly shot into the band, killing one of their women.  Immediately the whites were surrounded by a large group of warriors who demanded the surrender of the guilty party.  No appeasement tactics would avail and so the thoughtless youth had to atone for his mistake.  His agonizing cries were never to be forgotten as he was literally skinned alive.
The group reached their destination, according to one record, in October 1831.  This was Macoupin County, IL.  They began at once to build homes.  John Rhoads built his home in the point of timbers extending out into the prairie just west of present Medora.  The settlement was called, "Rhoads Point."  A few years later, in 1835, John Rhoads bought the land on which Medora now stands from Lewis B Elliott, and built a small-one-horse, cog-wheel grist mill for grinding corn.  In 1854 he died leaving a widow and 10 children or heirs.
Samuel Rhoads located in Chesterfield township, about one mile north of Rhoads Point.  His 1st wife, Jane Pennybaker of KY had 8 children.  His 2nd wife was Frances Keele, daughter of Richard E Keele, by whom he raised 9 children, a total of 17 heirs and the record for the size of family of the 6 brothers.  Samuel was an ordained Baptist preacher, well known over the county, was also a veteran of the War of 1812, under Gen. Harrison and engaged in the Battle of Thames, Canada, in which the Indian chief Tecumseh was killed.
Josiah Rhoads, born in 1790, was probably the oldest of the brothers.  He married Susannah VanMeter in KY., by whom he had nine children, one of whom was the well-known John V Rhoads of Medora.  Josiah Rhoads bought land near Rhoads Point, and was a distinguished citizen and prominent farmer.  He died in 1859.
Jesse Rhoads selected 80 acres in Section 28 of Shipman township, about a mile North of the original site of Old Harmony Baptist Church.  He was the father of eight children, one of whom was the Col. Cadie Rhoads of Civil War Fame.  Jesse Rhoads was a successful farmer and an outstanding citizen.
Jacob V Rhoads entered he first land in the township, according to record, an 80 acre tract in Section 8, Shipman Township.  He was a noted Baptist Preacher, having begun his ministry in Kentucky before moving to Illinois.  Soon after his arrival in Illinois, he organized the Mt Pleasant Baptist Church at Rhoads Point, the first Baptist church in the county, it is said, in 1832, and became its pastor and continuing as such for 27 consecutive years.  Many other churches were organized by him and his brother Samuel.  Jacob V Rhoads married Elizabeth Owens of KY and had 6 children by her.  All prominent in the county.  Doran Rhoads, the preacher, and William H Rhoads his brother, were sons of Jacob V and were widely and favorably known.  Samuel Rhoads 2nd wife was Margaret Blair of Rhoads Point.  Samuel died in 1871.
Henry Rhoads, twin brother to Jacob V Rhoads, was he first physician in the county and township.  He settled one mile east of Rhoads Point with his wife, Mary Cleaver, and they had five children.  Jacob V Rhoads and Mary Cleaver Rhoads children were:  Elizabeth, who married a man by the name of Armour then 2nd she married a man by the name of Hightchew; (2) Harrison; Cleavor; Charles Chelton; and Eliza married Joseph Armour.  These heirs all married and became heads of large families near Medora.  They too were thrifty farmers and their stately homes still remain in monuments to their industry.
Dr Henry Rhoads married Lydia Keele, sister of Samuel's 2nd wife, Frances Keele.  To them were born 10 children.  Their names in order of birth are Isaac Newton; Mary (married a Mitchell); Joseph B; Frances (Davis); Sarah (Bale); Evaline (Talley) Henry died in childhood; Susan (Ringer); James died in infancy; and Richard, whose death this January 3rd, 1941, mentioned above, rings down the curtain on this frugal, fruitful family of fifteen heirs of Dr Henry Rhoads.  Most of these families are well known to the older generation of Southern Macoupin and Jersey Counties of Il.  Gradually they drifted Westward until few in any remain East of the Mississippi.
Henry Rhoads, grandfather of the writer, of these lines, was a quiet, unassuming, Christian Gentleman, devoted to his family, true to his religion convictions, and faithful in his ministry of mercy among his patients in the medical profession.  He and his wife were Charter members of the Mt Pleasant Church and he was its first clerk for five years.  His old bible and hymn book now in possession of this writer.  They bear evidence of much use, it was this professional and Christian duty that led to his tragic death at the age of 60 years.  The cholera plague swept the land in 1854, making urgent demands upon the doctor's services without regard to his personal safety.  In his own home his young son James and the visiting father-in-law, Richard R Keele, both fell ill of the disease.  The doctor, in waiting on the two patients, contracted the disease and in a few days all three were dead.  This  occurred a few months before the birth of Richard Rhoads whose death is mentioned above and is the last of the direct heirs of the pioneer family of Dr Henry Rhoads.


 


HOME / Biography Index

© Genealogy Trails