This abandoned cemetery is located on the Gehner farm in Cahokia Township, about 1 ½ miles north of Mt. Olive. We could gather no information about this cemetery. The Gehner heirs state that the cemetery was there when Mr. Henry GEHNER bought the land. The names of the people buried in the cemetery are strange, namely GAROWNE, CAMP, ALLEN, OZMENT, HENDERSON, MCPEAK, DUNCAN, and STULL. There are no people living in the vicinity by that name at the present time (1984).
The cemetery sets on the bank of the Old Reservoir made by the Madison Coal Company in 1897. The plat of the reservoir bed is recorded in the office of the Recorder of Deeds for Macoupin County in Book "FW" on page 229 and the plat also shows the location of the cemetery as being at the southwest side and near the old pump house.
Land records of Macoupin County have been searched for a deed to the cemetery, but none has been found. In the transfer of land in the section, no exception is made to the burial grounds. The only means we have of giving a description of the cemetery is that made by the fieldmen using trees set as starting point, and could read as follows: ¼ of an acre out of the center of the SW ¼ of the NE¼ of Section 35, T8N, R6W of the Third Principal Meridian, commencing at the SE corner of the cemetery and running thence West 110 feet; thence North 17 degrees East 114 feet; thence 80 feet East and thence 100 feet South to the place of beginning, situated in the County of Macoupin, and State of Illinois.
Livestock are free to run over the burial grounds. There are about 7 lots and 28 graves that can be distinguished. There are only two tombstones that are standing erect, the others are leaning or trampled in the ground. One must clear away the sod to read the inscriptions on the markers. There is no fence around the cemetery except the land which is fenced so the stock cannot get into the cornfield. This fence is on two sides. The land slopes to the north and to the east. There are large trees planted to outline what may have been the outline of the cemetery grounds. There are also two fir trees in the cemetery.
To reach the cemetery, one travels 1 ½ mile north of Mt. Olive to the Gehner farm. At the bridge which leads to the Gehner home one goes west through a pasture about 1/8 mile to the burial grounds. The trees around the cemetery and the fir trees indicate where the cemetery is. There are no veterans buried in this cemetery and the oldest grave that we can locate by the dates on the markers is that of Telemachus CAMP.
CAMP, Telemachus, b. Jan. 15, 1790; d. Oct. 24, 1849
CAMP, Margaret, wife of Telemachis, d. Mar. 28, 1871, aged 77 yrs, 7 months, 14 days
CAMP, Benj. F., b. July 16, 1834; d. June 10, 1852
CAMP, P., b. June 14, 1816; d. Jan. 19, 1867
CAMP, Twin children of P. and M., d. June 30, 1847, aged 3 weeks
CAMP, Jacob H., son of P. and M., 1854-1855
CAMP, Paul, son of P. and M., 1857-1858
CAMP, Caroline, dau. of P. and M., 1859-1860
FOSTER, Wm. G., b. July 16, 1818
ALLEN, Elvira, wife of T. C., d. July 25, 1880, aged 29 yrs, 5 mos
S_____, Peter H., d. June 30, 1858, aged 40 yrs
STURGESS, Wm. T., son of W. K. and Sarah; b. July 19, 1811; d. Mar 26, 1862
FARAR, Dilla, daughter of G. and Dilla; d. July 23, 1869 aged 11 yrs, 16 days
OZMENT, Alice, daughter of M. and V.; d. Aug. 17, 1864, aged 1 yr, 1 mo., 3 days
STULL, Mary wife of John, d. Sept. 14, 1851, aged 68 yrs
HENDERSON, Joshua F., son of B. J. and M. A.
McPEAK, Olive Idelia, dau of J. and E., d. Mar 20, 1865 aged 3 yrs, 11 mo, 20 days.