Welcome to Illinois Genealogy Trails

Finding Illinois Ancestors

D Obits
Macoupin County, Illinois

Died - At his residence in the city, Monday, March 5th, Milford E. Davenport, aged 69 years. Funeral services at the residence, Tuesday afternoon at 2 o'clock. Interment at Charity cemetery, seven miles northwest of this city. Again the angel of death has visited in our midst, this time taking one of our old settlers and citizens Milford Davenport. Last spring a cancer on his face, which grew with increasing rapidity, finishing its awful work, March 5, 1894. Mr. Davenport came from Kentucky to Morgan County, Ill. in 1849; a few years later came to Macoupin, living in this county ever since. He was married to Ellen Roach in 1856. Eleven children are the fruits of this union. Three children died in infancy (2 girls and a boy), and one grown son some 14 years ago, thus leaving seven grown sons with the widowed mother to mourn the loss of this husband and father. He was a soldier in both the Mexican and Civil wars; a follower of Christ for some 45 years. (Carlinville Democrat March 8, 1894). - Contributed by Src #8

Litchfield, Ill. Nov. 6 Absalam Davis, one of the best known and oldest residents in this section, died of injuries received several days ago. Mr. Davis was 73 years old. The deceased was born in Macoupin county, Oct. 15, 1834, and In the early fifties moved to Litchfield. In 1859. he was united in marriage to Julia filler, also of Macoupin county. He became a resident of Litchfield, long before any of her railroads were built. He, with his brother-in-law, William Danner, ran the first meat market ever conducted in this city. Besides his wife, he is survived by four sons, J. C, highway commissioner of South Litchfield township; Shields, of Pate, Mo.; Vessie, of Roscoe. Mo., and Robert, former chief of the fire department of this city. [Thursday, November 7, 1907; Daily Illinois State Journal (Springfield, IL)  Page: 5; BZ, Sub by FoFG]

DENNISON, CHARLES ROBERT Sunday at 11:22 a.m. the spirit of Charles Robert Dennison passed from earth to the great beyond, after a year's illness with consumption.
Four years ago on the day he died he left this city for Chicago, where he had secured a position with Sprague, Warner & Co., happy, well and with great expectations for the future. Here he remained until May 22d (sic) 1898, when he enlisted in the second division of the Illinois Naval Reserve for service in the Spanish American war. He went to New York and from there to Key West, Florida, where he was assigned to the Oregon, under Captain Clark. He at once sailed for the enemy's country and was in the battle of Santiago, where Cervera's fleet was destroyed. Charles wrote one of the best descriptions, (sic) of the battle, that was published in all the city papers. His report was unbiased, full of praise for the brave Spanish officers and admiration and commendation for Captain Clark, who was the idol of his heart.
After the battle Charley took sick and was in the hospital two weeks, after which he was mustered out for disability and returned home. While here he endeared himself to the hearts of every one. His modesty and unasuming (sic) manner was commendable. He took no glory himself for what he had done and blamed no one because he had not found a bed of roses in serving his country. After a month's stay at home recuperating he returned to his Chicago position and resumed his labors. Two weeks passed and his health gave way. He returned home where he has since been confined to his couch most of the time.
His brother, Will, is now serving in the Philippines in the 18th Inf , (sic) and his father served in the civil war. Charley was born in Manarhamilton (sic) County Lietirm (sic), Ireland, and came to this country with his people in 1886. The veterans of the war in which he served will attend the funeral in a body. Charley had three sisters with Rev. A. M. Thompson, at Jersey City, N.J., and another sister with Mrs. Dr. (sic) J. W. Allyn, now of Kansas City, wife of the late St. Louis divine.
No young man that has died in this city for some time will be so greatly mourned for as Charley Dennison. He had a bright future and was loved by everybody.
Tuesday afternoon at 3:30 the funeral of Charley R. Dennison took place at the Episcopal church in this city, Rev. H. M. Chittenden, of Alton, officiating.
The Carlinville band, at a meeting held last night, voted unanimously to attend the funeral on their own accord. The soldiers of the Spanish-American war acted as pall bearers. They were as follows: Jerry Boatman, Garfield McEndree, James K. Towey, Fred Matthews, Otto Boehm, Frank E. David and Frank Everhart.
The band proceeded to the late residence and marched to the church, rendering an appropriate funeral march, followed by the cortege. At the church the services were very appropriate and solemn. Rev. Chittenden's remarks were touching in the extreme when he reviewed the life and character of the young hero of the cause of liberty and love. The deceased was one of the reverend gentleman's favorites in this city, in whom he took a special interest and liking, and it was especially appropriate that he should have officiated at the last sad rites. The church was inadequate to accomodate the multitude that was present, as everyone, rich and poor, who knew the deceased was present who could possibly be. Following the sermon the march to the grave was made and the remains consigned to the tomb.
Source: "Carlinville Democrat", July 19, 1899, page 1, - Sub. by Scott Summers]

Hero of the Oregon Succumbs to Tuberculosis After a Plucky Struggle.
Charles Robert Dennison breathed his last at 11:15 a m., Sunday, July 16th. Everyone is acquainted with the indomitable fight which he maintained with the fell disease, tuberculosis, which sapped his youthful life away, and there was a multitude of friends who hoped and prayed that Charlie would be spared for a long and useful life. 'Twas a futile struggle, and lately the inexorable fact became apparent that it was only a question of time until the boy's will power would be overpowered by his nemesis. He was conscious to the last, and his expiring words were "Pa," "Pa". The end came suddenly, and it is thought painlessly.
Thus died a hero of the late war with Spain, a brave boy who did his duty as best he knew it, and while so engaged contracted the disease which robbed him of life ere he had reached man's estate. John Dennison, one of our most esteemed citizens, a veteran of the civil war, had two sons, Charlie and Will. They were his all. Like him they served their country. While Charlie lies on the bier awaiting interment Will is in a Philippine hospital, suffering from exposures on the battlefield. Charlie was born in Manor Hamilton, County Leitrum, Ireland, October 3, 1878, during a several years residence of his father there, who finding his adopted country more to his liking than the "ould sod," returned to Carlinville. Here the boy was reared, and ever commanded the respect of all our people.
Several years ago Charlie secured a position in Chicago in the shipping department of Sprague, Warner & Co., and was regarded as one of their trustiest employes (sic). In May of '98, he enlisted in the Chicago division of the Illinois Naval Reserves, and was sworn into the navy after war was declared. Charlie was one of the first to see fighting, and it was on board the man-of-war, Oregon. He participated in the memorable battle in Santiago harbor, which terminated in the destruction of Cervera's fleet. It was while doing service in the unhealthy tropics, that his frame, weakened by exposure, became prey to disease, and shortly after the Santiago campaign he was given an honorable discharge on account of sickness, and sent home. Charlie regarded his illness as but temporary, and after a short convalescence, returned to his old position at Chicago, which his employers had held for him. But a few weeks, and he was completely prostrated. His employers thought so much of him, that they offered to send him to Colorado in hopes that change of climate, aided by youth, would baffle the complaint, but it was too late. Charlie was brought back, and his young friends bore him on a litter to his home to die. Honor to the young hero. He did his duty, lived an honest, upright life, and passed away commanding the sincere respect of every man, woman and child who knew him. Who of us could do more?
At 3:30 p.m. yesterday with fitting ceremonies, the remains of Charles Robert Dennison, the first of the Illinois naval reserves who served during the war with Spain to succumb to the grim angel of death, were consigned to the silent tomb. Services were conducted by Rev. H. M. Chittenden, of Alton, for whom Charlie had ever entertained a fervent affection. The casket was covered with lovely garlands and floral tributes of various designs, tokens of remembrances from loving friends. The young hero was attired in his United States navy uniform, which was assigned him when a sailor on board the battleship Oregon. In that uniform he had bravely fought, and it surrounded his mortal frame when laid away forever from the gaze of relatives and friends.
The cortege formed at the residence on First North street and escorted by the Carlinville band, proceeded to St. Paul's Episcopal church, where the services were held. Six youthful friends who served during the late war were the pall bearers--Garfield McEndree, James Towey, Otto Behme, Frank Everhart, Frank David and Fred Matthews. A large concourse of people attended the obsequies as a testimony of respect and followd (sic) the remains to the city cemetery, where interment was made. Peace to his ashes.
[Source: "Macoupin County Enquirer", July 19, 1899, page 1 - Sub. by Scott Summers]

DENNISON, JOHN One of the best known and most popular citizens of Carlinville, John Dennison, has gone to his reward after a lingering illness. He passed away at 6:15 Wednesday morning.
John Dennison was born in Ireland May 14, 1837, and came to this country in 1852. He afterwards returned to the country of his birth, where he married Miss Maggie McGlashen (sic). They afterwards came to America and located in Carlinville. Six children were born to this union, none of whom are residing here. His wife died while his children were small and they were cared for by friends. On November 9, 1893 he was married to Mrs. Mary Klages, whose maiden name was Miller. They have resided happily together all these years and in his declining years he was tenderly cared for by his devoted wife.
The deceased fought for his country in the Civil war and was a sargeant (sic) in a cavalry company in the First Missouri regiment. He was a member of the Episcopal church and had been a member of the Masonic order for years and served as tyler of the lodge for 14 years. Uncle John Dennison was a friend of every one and we do not suppose he ever had an enemy. He was full of Irish wit and usually had a joke whenever you would meet him. The funeral was held at the Episcopal church Thursday at 3 p.m. Interment in the city cemetery with Masonic rites. (under the auspices of Mt. Nebo lodge, No. 76, A. F. & A. M.)
[Source: July 16, 1919, page 2 Carlinville Democrat, Sub. by Scott Summers]

At the family residence, in Carlinville, Sept. 24, 1889, at 6 p.m., Margaret Dennison, wife of John Dennison, aged 36 years, 7 months and 7 days. Funeral will take place from the Presbyterian church, Thursday, Sept. 26th, at 2 p.m. Friends of the family invited.
[Source: Carlinville Democrat, September 26, 1889, page 1 - Sub. by Scott Summers]

DIRKSMEYER, CATHERINE J. "KITTY", 78, of Carlinville died Tuesday, Nov. 10, 2009, at Heritage Manor in Carlinville. Davis-Anderson Funeral Home in Carlinville is in charge of arrangements. Published in The State Journal-Register on 11/11/2009

A telegram from Mr. Mont. Dorsey, Wednesday, tited that his father, B.L. Dorsey, Sr., died at his residence near Gillespie, at 8 o'clock that morning. Mr Dorsey was in his 75th year and had lived in the vicinity of Gillespie nearly his entire life. He was widely known as an upright, progressive and energetic farmer and stock raiser. In the latter pursuit Mr. Dorsey had won fame for the excellent breed of horses he always raised. He was one of the patriarchs of Macoupin county, and will be much missed in all the surrounding country. The funeral will take place tomorrow (Friday) morning at 11 o'clock.
[Alton Evening Telegraph | Alton, Illinois | Thursday, June 20, 1895 | Page 5 - Submitted by Janice Rice]

Aged Macoupin County Woman Passes Away
Sarah J. Drennan Dies Suddenly at Hornsby Christmas Day [d. 25 DE 1919]
Hornsby, Dec 26 -- Hornsby lost one of its oldest and best loved citizens Christmas morning in the death of Mrs. Sarah Jane Drennan.
Mrs. Drennan was one of the old settlers of Macoupin County. She was born June 11, 1842 near Alton and came with her parents, William and Hannah Allcutt Lancaster to Macoupin County while still a small child and settled on a farm one mile east of Hornsby.
On Feb. 14, 1861, she married Calvin Drennan who survives her.
When Christmas Eve arrived Mrs. Drennan who was feeling no worse than usual, was anxious to go to the church. She was persuaded to stay at home, however, about 9 o'clock became suddenly worse. A message was dispatched for her nieces and nephews and in a few hours she passed away.
Mrs. Drennan was a devoted Christian and a member of the Baptist church from girlhood.
Although she was never blessed with a child of her own, she raised three from infancy, Horace Drennan, Drucilla (Botkin) Hardin, and Mabel Hardin besides giving a home to 14 others.
Mrs. Drennan was an aunt to the Mercer brothers who conduct a grocery store on South Jackson Street, Litchfield.
The funeral will be held at the Hornsby Baptist Church Saturday morning at 11 o'clock. Interment in Kinder Cemetery.
The services will be conducted by the Rev. O.W. Shields of Girard.
[Litchfield News Herald, Friday, 26 Dec 1919, Pg 1 (Special to the News Herald)]

Age at Death:-88; Death Date:-21 Nov 2010; Death Place:-Carlinville; Obituary Date:-23 Nov 2010; Newspaper Title:-The State Journal-Register; Newspaper Location:-Springfield, IL, USA; Birth Date:-28 Dec 1921; Birth Place:-Carlinville; Residence (at time of death):-Carlinville; Spouse's Name:-Joseph Tostberg September; Parents' Names:-Herbert and Hulda Young Hammann; Siblings' Names:-Betty Kessinger of Carlinville; Warren, Herbert, Jr. and Leonard Hammann; Marriage Date:-25 Sep 1948
[unknown source]

An old soldier and pioneer merchant at Medora, died at St, Louis last week, aged 66 years. Donated by src#2

DWYER, Nora, 88, of Carlinville died Tuesday, Dec. 16, 2008, at Carlinville Rehab Center in Carlinville. Graveside services will be held Thursday, Dec. 18, 2008, at 9 a.m. at Mayfield Memorial Park Cemetery. Nora is survived by a sister, Virginia Campbell of Memphis, Tenn. [unknown source]

BACK to Obit Index / Home

by Genealogy Trails and the submitters