>


Genealogy Trails
Marshall County Illinois
Biographies
B

 

Benjamin Babb


Mr. Babb was born in Perry County, Ohio, Sept. 22, 1812. He came to this County with his father when 19 years old, settling three miles south of Lacon, where he lived until his death, The family consisted of his father, mother and five sisters, and they were four weeks and four days on the road. They stopped at Col. Strawn's until a location was found to suit and a cabin built, into which they moved and spent the first winter. The bottoms were full of Indians and through the winter they annoyed the family greatly. Mr. Babb was obliged to return to Ohio and they were exposed without protection to insults and the constant fear of death through all the long winter. Mr. Babb died in the spring of 1835 and he was buried on the point of the bluff north of his house. His son Benjamin married Nancy Jones, daughter of Levi Jones, of Pennsylvania, on the 4th of June, 1867. They were blessed with five children, two only of whom survive, Eliza and Estella. He died July 22, 1867, leaving his family and the care of a large farm to his wife. Mrs. B. proved a good manager, adding to the property year by year, and giving her daughter a good education. On the 15th of Feb., 1873, she married again and became Mrs. Sylvester Myers. Her home is one of the pleasantest in the County, and here, surrounded by children and friends, she dispenses a generous hospitality to all.
[Source: Record of Olden Times or 50 years on the Prairie, 1880, Page 694 Lacon Township - Transcribed by Nancy Piper]

Frank Baer

Mr. Baer was born at Chicago in 1852, came to Henry in 1875 and established a saloon and billiard room. He keeps first-class rooms, furnished in good style immediately adjoining the Paskell house with good tables, cigars and the finest of domestic and imported liquors. It is the only American house in the city.
[Source: Record of Olden Times or 50 years on the Prairie, 1880, Page 704 Henry Township - Transcribed by Nancy Piper]

Richard BAGULEY

The Biographical Record of Bureau, Marshall and Putnam Counties, Illinois, Published in Chicago: The S. J. Clarke Publishing Company. 1896. - Marshall county Biographical extractions pages 100-199

Transcribed March 2011 by Norma Hass

Richard BAGULEY, a leading tailor and the popular postmaster of Van Orin, Illinois, was born in Washington county, Pennsylvania, January 8, 1828, a son of Charles and Anna BAGULEY, who for many years made their home in that state. By trade the father was also a merchant tailor, which business he followed, both in Wheeling, West Virginia, and in Brownsville, Pennsylvania. He had learned his trade in the old world, but in his early days served as a sailor, and traveled around the world, visiting Africa and all the eastern countries. His death occurred in 1864, at the age of seventy-four years, and his wife died in 1844, at the age of fifty-three years. In religious belief they were Presbyterians.

During his youth our subject learned the trade of a tailor, but for six yeas was engaged in the drug business at Wheeling, West Virginia, with his brother-in-law, James REED. He is one of a family of twelve children, three still living, his sisters being Fanny, who has now reached the age of eighty-two years, and is the widow of William J. JOURDAN of Muscatine, Iowa, and Mary, aged seventy-six years, who is the wife of James REED of Wheeling.

On coming to Illinois Mr. BAGULEY engaged in the grain business in Henry, and subsequently carried on the same business in Van Orin for ten years. In 1885 he was appointed postmaster, which position he has since efficiently filled, his duties being discharged in a most creditable manner, and to the satisfaction of the many patrons of the office. He is an ardent democrat in politics, is a man of undoubted integrity and honor, and enjoys the esteem and confidence of a wide circle of friends and acquaintances.

In 1864 Mr. BAGULEY was united in marriage with Miss Malvina HULBEN, a daughter of George and Mary HULBEN, of Pennsylvania, and they have two children - Clara and Edith. Mrs. BAGULEY, a most estimable lady, is a consistent member of the United Brethren church.

Charles M. Baker


Dr. Baker was born in Lexington. Ky. in 1822 where he received his education and graduated at the fine Medical College of that place in 1843, The same year he removed to Washington, Ill., and opened an office, subsequently removing to Bloomington, and to Henry in 1849, whore he succeeded in building up a large practice. Is a member of the State Medical society and on friendly terms with all members of the Allopathic school of medicine. He was twice elected mayor, and is held in much esteem by his fellow citizens.

[Source: Record of Olden Times or 50 years on the Prairie, 1880, Page 700 Henry Township - Transcribed by Nancy Piper]

 

Joseph Baker
Mr. Baker was born in Grafton County, New Hampshire, in 1819, and moved to Massachusetts when thirteen years old, and from thence to Delaware County, New York. While here he learned the printing trade, and worked some time for Horace Greely, but in 1839 took the latter's advice and came west, substituting the hoe and the spade for the "shooting stick." He first located in Stark County, and came to Marshall in 1862. He married Miss Henrietta Weaver in 1844, born in Delaware County, New York. They have four children living - Josiah B. William H., Mary A, (Doran, and Nancy E. (Jillett). One child is dead, He is a good farmer, owning 160 acres of excellent land under good cultivation, has held various local offices, and has a pleasant family.
[Source: Record of Olden Times or 50 years on the Prairie, 1880, Page 750 La Prairie Township - Transcribed by Nancy Piper]
 Ephraim H. Baker
EPHRAIM HUDSON BAKER, born Leon, N. Y., Nov. 17, 1830. Entered the preparatory department 1852; graduated from the classical course in college 1858, and from the seminary 1861. In 1861-2 2d lieutenant, 1st lieutenant and captain in U. S. army, but was honorably discharged in July, 1862, on account of disability; Sept. 1, 1862, married Ann J. Whitney, of Oberlin and preached from 1862-63 at West Mill Grove, O.; 1863-67, at Marseilles, Ill.; 1868-71, at Wyanet; 1871-75, Mendota; 1876-78 at Waukegan; 1878-79, at Henry; 1879-83, at Altona and Victoria; 1883-86 at Sutton, Neb.; 1886-88, at Syracuse, Neb.; and from 1888 until his death he lived at York, preaching for several years at Clay Center and Grafton. Died at York, March 18, 1898. [Class of 1858] [Source: Necrology Oberlin College For The Year 1897-8. Transcribed by: Helen Coughlin]

George Ball


Mr. Ball is a native of Alsace, Germany, where he was born in 1837, and came to the United States in 1853. He first settled at Buffalo, and next in Henry in 1858. He tried farming one year and went into the saloon business, purchasing the property from a Mr. Hoover, and greatly improving it. He married Ann Eliza Rosley in 1859, and together they have three children - Mary M., Joseph J. and Henry. Himself and family are members of the Catholic church, and he is a member of the church choir.

[Source: Record of Olden Times or 50 years on the Prairie, 1880, Page 699 Henry Township - Transcribed by Nancy Piper]

 

Charles Balleweg, Jr.


Mr. Balleweg was born in Baden, Germany, in 1847, and came to the United States nine years later, staying in York County. Pa, until 1867, when he came to Henry. He began the saloon business in 1873, and bas followed it with considerable profit to himself since. In that year he married Elizabeth Flynn, born in New York, and two children bless their union - Elizabeth and Annie. He is proprietor of Warren's Hall, which is fitted up for dancing parties, concerts and theatrical entertainments. He owns his place of business, dwelling, and considerable other property,

[Source: Record of Olden Times or 50 years on the Prairie, 1880, Page 697 Henry Township - Transcribed by Nancy Piper]
 

Jesse B. Bane


The subject of this sketch was born near Wheeling, Va., May 17,1812. His father was a farmer and raised five stalwart sons who grew to man's estate and two daughters. When twenty years old Jesse, along with a man named Tucker, journeyed to Illinois, then an inviting field to emigrants, and stopped for the night at the cabin of John Strawn to whom they engaged to labor at making rails at 26 cents a day and board. Tucker did not remain long, but Bane doubtless looked into the future and beheld there a fine farm with growing crops, a wife and sturdy sons and daughters growing up round his hearthstone. It was a pleasant picture, and though the wages were low and the labor severe, it was Jesse toiling for Rachel and cheerily he worked on. In good time the farm, the cabin the sleek looking stock came - and Rachel came too. Mr. Bane was an expert chopper and withal a carpenter, and helped build most of the old houses of Lacon. He labored through the summer, and in the winter he taught a term of school on Crow Creek where the now honorables G. L. Fort and Geo. C. Barnes were pupils. Mrs. Coutlett (Sarah Dever) also attended, and for some neglect of duty was punished, something which she has probably long since forgotten. In 1840 he married Rachel Strawn, daughter of John Strawn, and a notable wife she proved. There were born to them in course of time four sons and two daughters John S., George M., Jesse B. Jr Charles C., Stella (Mrs. De Pue), and Rachel Augusta, (deceased). John is an eloquent minister in the Cong'1 Church, George qualified himself for the law, and George and Jesse are farmers. Mr. B. proved himself a capital farmer and good manager, in which he was ably assisted by his wife, he opened a large farm and added others to it. After a while he moved to Lacon and built a fine residence which burned down and then he built a better one. Himself and wife are now "well stricken in years," but their old age is cheered with the company of their children and grandchildren, and the reflection that in the conflict of life they have performed their whole duty.

[Source: Record of Olden Times or 50 years on the Prairie, 1880, Page 695 Lacon Township - Transcribed by Nancy Piper] 

E. P. Barker

Mr. Barker was born in Chester, Mass., in 1837, and came west in 1844, locating in Peru. He has been in the hardware business as clerk or proprietor since 15 years of age. He clerked for E. B. Treat, of La Salle, for several years, and started in business for himself in Wenona in 1863. He erected a fine store 22x75 feet for his business, but soon required a larger one. His present store is 22x130 feet, two story and basement, filled with a well selected stock of goods in his line, and will compare favorably with any in Chicago or elsewhere. He married a Miss Maria M. Morton in 1864. She was born in West Randolph, Vt. They have one child, Willis E., born in 1865. Mr. Barker is treasurer of the Wenona Union Fair Association, secretary and treasurer of the Wenona Cemetery Association, and held the unenviable position of superintendent of the show and license department of the Wenona fair for six years, which he filled to the entire satisfaction of all. In fact, he has filled nearly all the local positions in his community, invariably acquitting himself with credit. He is a gentleman of unusual business qualifications, polite and attentive to all alike.
[Source: Record of Olden Times or 50 years on the Prairie, 1880, Page 710 Evans Township - Transcribed by Nancy Piper]
Chauncey W. Barnes
Mr. Barnes is a son of Jeremiah Barnes and Betsey Condrey of Hampden County, Mass., and was born in 1814. Their sons were John N., located in Bradford County, Pa.; Robinson in Sullivan County Pa; Jeremiah C, in Bradford County, Pa. Chauncey W. left Massachusetts in 1823, and came to Bradford County, Pa., living there until the fall of 1836 when he went to Florid, Ill., and in the spring, moved to Evans township in this County, and from there came to Whitefield, where he has ever since resided. In 1833 he married Miss Sallie B. Martin, daughter of Benajeb and Abigail Easterbrooks, of Bradford County, Pa., formerly from Woodstock. Conn. They have had seven children, three of whom are living,-George M, resides in Kansas, Chauncey C. in Whitefield and Charles L. in Missouri. George M. enlisted in the army and served until the close of the war. Has held the office of justice of the peace. Owns a farm of 160 acres. His wife died in 1872. Mr. Barnes has been a prominent citizen in the Township, and is a member of the "Old Settlers' association." His recollection of early history is distinct, and he is good authority on the subject. Is a man of enlarged views, clear-headed, and a good citizen.
[Source: Record of Olden Times or 50 years on the Prairie, 1880, Page 759 Whitefield Township - Transcribed by Nancy Piper]
Henry B. Barnes
Mr. Barnes was born in Sussex County, Delaware, December 4.1803, His parents were descended on the paternal side from an old English family, while on his mother's he traces his lineage to the Welsh. In 1808 his father moved to Scioto County, Ohio, in a heavy timbered country, where he labored at clearing land and on the farm until 1823, when he removed to Marion County until 1834. In 1831 he married Mary Dickinson, who died the succeeding year, leaving him one child, now Mrs. Carrithers. An elder brother and sister were living in Illinois, and in 1834, accompanied by his mother and little girl, he came west, finding a home with his sister. Mrs. Dever until a cabin was built on the site of his present home. In 1839 he married Jane J., daughter of Colonel Kilgore. a well-known citizen who still survives, and has been to him more than a "companion" for over forty years. She is the mother of six sons and daughters, viz., Isabel, Louisa, Samuel M., Henry E. W. (doctors of Fairbury, Ill.), Oliver S. and one who died in infancy. Mr. and Mrs. Barnes have led long and useful lives, which bid fair to be duplicated in their children. They still live on the old homestead and carry on the farm, which he has cultivated for nearly half a century. Their children are comfortably settled in the world, and the future it would seem has neither care nor sorrow for their aged parents. Mr. Barnes has served as supervisor, and filled other responsible positions. Himself and family have been life-long members of the M. E. Church.
[Source: Record of Olden Times or 50 years on the Prairie, 1880, Page 742-743 Richland Township - Transcribed by Nancy Piper]
 
Henry T. Barnes and Annis (Little) Barnes
Mr. Barnes is a farmer, residing on section 26. His post office being Washburn, Woodford County. He was born in Marshall County, Ill., in Richland Township, about two miles from their present homestead. He is a son of Robert and Julia Barnes, natives of the state of Delaware, who located in Marshall County in 1830. Mr. Barnes married Miss Annis Little in 1857. She also was born in this County and Township. She is the daughter of Nathanial and Mildred Little, who located in this County about 1834. They have three children living,-Charles N., Annie P, George O., - and three deceased. Mr. Barnes is a member of the M. E. Church. He is the owner of eight hundred acres of land. They are the oldest residents of the County, Mr. Barnes and wife have never been out of their native state. He was the second white child born in Marshall County, and is the first born in the County now living
[Source: Record of Olden Times or 50 years on the Prairie, 1880, Page 742 Richland Township - Transcribed by Nancy Piper]
S. C. Barrett

Mr. Barrett is a professor of vocal music and agent for musical merchandise. He was born in Windham Co., Vermont, in 1826, came west in 1854 and located in Putnam County, and in Wenona in 1867. In 1852 he married Miss M. A. Glasier, a native of the same County as himself. They have four children,-Mary E., Mattie A., Cora E, and Newton G. They are members of the Baptist church, and Mr. Barrett belongs to the Masonic order. He has been engaged in teaching vocal music since 1848, has taught all over this part of the country, and thousands of the singers of this state have been trained under him.
[Source: Record of Olden Times or 50 years on the Prairie, 1880, Page 717 Evans Township - Transcribed by Nancy Piper]
 A. J. Baughman
Mr. Baughman was born in Chambersburg, Franklin County, Pa., in 1829. He moved to Ross County, Ohio, with his parents when five years old, and to Marshall County, Ill., in 1858 locating in Steuben Township. He followed his trade as carpenter down to 1871 when he became identified with the furniture business and followed it successfully until 1878, when he associated with him his brother-in-law Mr. Tarbill and embarked in the hardware and fanning implement trade. The firm is doing a large business in all branches of their trade. Mr. Baughman married Miss Elizabeth Tarbill in 1847. She was born in Pickaway County, Ohio. Their children are Catherine U. and Angle F., and one, Nancy J., deceased. They are members of the M. E. Church, and Mr. B. is also a member of the I. O. O. F. He is a good business man, pleasant, sociable and reliable.
[Source: Record of Olden Times or 50 years on the Prairie, 1880, Page 752-753 Steuben Township - Transcribed by Nancy Piper]

 Samuel D. Baxendale

Mr. Baxendale was born in Alton, Ill., in 1846, and moved to Putnam County in 1848, where he learned the business of a barber and hairdresser. In 1868 he began business for himself, and in 1869 married Sarah E. McCormick, born in Magnolia. They have five children - Alfred, Nellie, Ida, Beulah and Samuel. In 1864 he enlisted in Co. B, 104th Ill. Vol., and served until the close of the war. He was in Sherman's great march through Georgia and at Milk Creek, N. C. Although but seventeen years old, he made a good soldier. His rooms in Henry are fitted up in good taste, and his establishment is popular.
[Source: Record of Olden Times or 50 years on the Prairie, 1880, Page 701 Henry Township - Transcribed by Nancy Piper]

Milton Bayne


Mr. Bayne (of Bayne & Son) was born in Brown County, Ohio, in 1831, came west and located in Woodford County in 1854, then to LaSalle, near Tonica, the following spring, and to Low Point, in Livingston County, in 1862 where he followed farming, and in 1866 went to LaSalle County, near Wenona. He moved into the village about 1872. He married Miss Nancy A. Carson in 1861 who was born in Adams County, Ohio. They have four children- James L., William M., Louis M. and Charlie D. He has been identified with the Canton Wrought Iron Bridge Co. since 1869. He sold over 65 spans in LaSalle County, valued at about $180,000, and in Livingston County about 60 spans, valued at about $40,000, besides other counties, which would amount in valuation to $100,000, or $820,000 on all. He is energetic in the pursuit of business, and the bridges he puts up are of the most substantial kind. He is a genial companion and a good talker, as well as just the man for the place.
[Source: Record of Olden Times or 50 years on the Prairie, 1880, Page 714 Evans Township - Transcribed by Nancy Piper]

R. F. Becher

Mr. Becher was born in France, near the city of Paris, in 1846. Ho came to the United States with his parents in 1853, locating in Sandwich, in this state, whence he moved to Areola, and from there to Wenona in 1857. He has been in business here since 1870, and in 1871 formed a partnership with Mr. Scott in the grocery business. In 1867 he married Jennie McQuown. who was born in Kentucky. They have four children,-Frederick W. , Edward B., Allen P. and Ella Pell. Mr. Becher is a member of the I. O. O. F. and for two years has represented that order from this district in the grand lodge, belongs to the Masonic order, is Township collector, alderman from the second ward and treasurer of Co. B. 10th Bat. I .N. G.
[Source: Record of Olden Times or 50 years on the Prairie, 1880, Page 711 Evans Township - Transcribed by Nancy Piper]
Putnam Beckwith
Mr. Beckwith was born in Marshall County, Ill., in 1842. He married Miss Francis Dagan in 1869. She was born in Franklin County, Ohio, They have four children - Berths M. , Herbert H., Charles P, and Mary. He is first lieutenant of Co. B. 10th Bat'l I. N. G. Enlisted in the 1st Ill. Cavalry July 8,1861 and was discharged July 14, 1862. He enlisted in 14th Cavalry, September 4.1852: discharged July 30. 1865. He was wounded at Lexington, Mo., twice, in a charge to recover a cannon that was captured by the enemy, and at West Plains. Mo., in May, 1862. He still carries the ball in his body. He was on the Morgan and Stoneman raids, and in many other engagements. He also assisted at the capture of Indians who were in the rebel army-when they release the chief and medicine man and sent them back only to return and fight us again.
[Source: Record of Olden Times or 50 years on the Prairie, 1880, Page 724 Evans Township - Transcribed by Nancy Piper]
 
Zera P. Beckwith
Mr. Beckwith was born in Madison County, N. Y., in 1815. He came to Indiana with his parents the following year, and lived there until 1835, helping to clear up and open a farm. In the year above named he came to Marshall County, and in 1837 married Mary A. Gaylord, a native of Pennsylvania. They have five children,-Putnam, Albert, Orin, Emma (Ball), and Clara. They are members of the Christian church. Mr. Beckwith was justice of the peace four years, school director and constable eight years. He owns 170 acres, all under cultivation. He enlisted in Co. H. 104th Ill. Inf. in 1862, as musician, and served until 1863. when he was mustered out, owing to disability contracted in the service. He lost one son, Leondias, who died of disease in the army. His oldest living son, Putnam, served until the close of the war. Was wounded at Lexington. Mo., in 1861, and captured there with Col. James A. Mulligan. When exchanged he re-entered the service.
[Source: Record of Olden Times or 50 years on the Prairie, 1880, Page 718-719 Evans Township - Transcribed by Nancy Piper]
A. Beckworth
Mr. Beckworth was born in Onondaga County, New York, in 1812. He came west with his parents and located in Dearborn County, Indiana, in 1816 and came to this County in 1835. He learned the trade of bricklaying and plastering in Cincinnati in 1832 and worked at it up to 1859, when he engaged in farming in Stephens Township. He married Miss Margaret Gilmore in 1861, born in Fayette County, Pa., in 1840. They have three children living Otto Q., Orson E. and Omar S. Are members of the Christian church. They moved into Wenona in 1869. He owns 400 acres of land in Livingston County, under good cultivation, and has a residence in Wenona.
[Source: Record of Olden Times or 50 years on the Prairie, 1880, Page 722 Evans Township - Transcribed by Nancy Piper]
 E. S. Bell
Mr. Bell was born in Virginia in 1815, and came to Ohio in 1846, when he located in Muskingum County, He lived there ten years and came to Marshall County, Ill., in 1858. He married Miss Ellen McCoy in 1841. She was born in the same state. They have five children living-Samuel McC., .Robert H., William W., Ellie and John B. Are members of the U. P. Church, of which he has been elder 30 years. He owns 400 acres of excellent land, all in cultivation. Mr. Bell's large property was made by honest labor. He has defrauded no man, and he owes no man, and when himself and wife go to their last home their places will be hard to fill.
[Source: Record of Olden Times or 50 years on the Prairie, 1880, Page 749 La Prairie Township - Transcribed by Nancy Piper]

John Berry

Mr. Berry was born in the city of Limerick, Ireland, August 24th, 1844 and came to the United States in 1849, first settling in Boston. Mass., where he remained one year and then located in Lacon, where he has since remained. He is the proprietor of a saloon, and has been engaged in business for himself since 1868. In 1876 he commenced the manufacture of soda water, and now supplies large quantities of this harmless and refreshing beverage to the trade in Lacon and neighboring towns. He also manufactures all other descriptions of temperance drinks.

[Source: Record of Olden Times or 50 years on the Prairie, 1880, Page 690 Lacon Township - Transcribed by Nancy Piper] 

George W. Bickerman
Mr. Bickerman is a farmer residing in Whitefield Township, who was born on the place he now occupies, in 1856. His parents were among the first settlers in the County, and made good provision for their children. In 1877 he married Maggie Mattern, born in Henry Township, and they have one child, Adam L., born in 1878. They are members of the Catholic Church. He owns a fine farm of 145 acres, and 37 acres in timber, is a good farmer, and well posted in matters pertaining to farming, stock raising, etc.
[Source: Record of Olden Times or 50 years on the Prairie, 1880, Page 705 Henry Township - Transcribed by Nancy Piper]
John Bickerman

Mr. Bickerman was born in Kentucky, near Louisville, in 1848. He belongs to an energetic, pushing family, well known in Marshall County, and came here with his parents in 1850. He married Maggie Marks in 1879, who was born in Indiana. He is a member of the Catholic church, and a son of A. Bickerman.
[Source: Record of Olden Times or 50 years on the Prairie, 1880, Page 704 Henry Township - Transcribed by Nancy Piper]
 Chester Bidwell

Mr. Bidwell was born in Cumberland County, New Jersey, June 17, 1845, son of George Bidwell and Phebe Davis. Mr. Bidwell, senior, was a native of Middlebury, Vt., and Mrs. Bidwell, of Cumberland County, N. J., and were married December 1, 1836. He came to this state in June, 1852 and located in Whitefield Township His vocation was that of a farmer. In early life had been teacher in the state of New Jersey. Held the offices of school trustee and commissioner of highways, and assisted in laying out many of the public roads of Whitefield. While a citizen of New Jersey was a member of the seventh day Baptists. Died June 13,1879. His widow, the daughter of Rev. John Davis, is a firm believer in the doctrines of the seventh day Baptists as taught by her father.

Mr. Bidwell was a man of great intelligence and highly respected in the community in which he lived. He preserved an individuality to a remarkable degree, was a lover of antiquities, revered the relics of the past, and held sacred the mementoes of friends. Chester Bidwell retains a relic in the shape of a fowling piece in perfect preservation, handed down from George Bidwell. His grandfather, whose name is graven upon the mounting made for him when a young man and who carried it in the war of the Revolution, and at the siege of Ticonderoga and Crown Point, also a set of silver spoons that were given to his father by his mother, which are more than a century old. He resides on the old homestead with his mother in her 74th year, and carries on the farm which contains 120 acres. A. sister, Delia, married William True, October 27,1859, died January 1, 1861. A brother John died February 24,1861, aged nine years.

[Source: Record of Olden Times or 50 years on the Prairie, 1880, Page 760-761 Whitefield Township - Transcribed by Nancy Piper]

Andrew J. BISHOP

The Biographical Record of Bureau, Marshall and Putnam Counties, Illinois, Published in Chicago: The S. J. Clarke Publishing Company. 1896. - Marshall county Biographical extractions pages 100-199

Transcribed March 2011 by Norma Hass

Andrew J. BISHOP, one of the self-made men of Marshall county, who now makes his home in Wenona, is the possessor of valuable property, all of which has been accumulated by his own perseverance and industry. He was born in Washington county, Pennsylvania, April 28, 1828, and is the son of Thomas and Mary (HEATHERINGTON) BISHOP. The birth of the father occurred in the same county, in 1800, but the mother was born in Ireland, in 1801, and when three years old was brought by her father, Hugh HEATHERINGTON, to America. When a young man the maternal grandfather participated in the rebellion in Ireland, was for over eighty years a member of the Masonic order, and died in Pennsylvania at the extreme old age of one hundred and five years.

After their marriage, in 1824, the parents of our subject located upon a farm in the keystone state, where they spent their remaining days, the father dying in 1854, and the mother ten years later. Both held membership with the Methodist Episcopal church. In their family were eleven children, namely: Mrs. Martha Jane BLACKBURN; James, deceased; Andrew J., William H., deceased; John, of Mt. Palatine, Illinois; Mrs. Isabel CLAYBAUGH of Pennsylvania; Thomas B., deceased; Mrs. Susanna MATEER of Rutland, Illinois; Hiram and Margaret Ann, both deceased, and Jeremiah K., of Iowa. The last named served as a soldier in the union army during the civil war.

The education of our subject was such as the district school afforded, and although he was reared to agricultural pursuits, he also worked at the carpenter's trade. Emigrating to Putnam county, Illinois, in 1853, he worked by the month as a farm hand for one year, and after his marriage lived on Ox Bow Prairie, in that county, until 1861, when he removed to Evans township, Marshall county, settling on section 27. The farm of eighty acres which he purchased was all wild land, but he has now placed it under a high state of cultivation, erected good and substantial buildings, and added to the tract until he now has two hundred and forty acres of valuable land. For thirty-three years he made his home in one house, but since 1892 has lived retired in Wenona, where he is surrounded by many warm friends.

In 1854 Mr. Bishop was united in marriage with Miss Eliza J. CHAMP, the daughter of John W. and Lydia (HORROM) CHAMP, the former a native of Rockingham, New Hampshire, and the latter of New Jersey. Her maternal grandfather, Timothy HORROM, came to Illinois in 1832, settling in Grundy county, where he resided until his death. When a young man her father followed the carpenter's trade, but later went to California and Washington, in the employ of the Hudson Bay company, with which he remained for forty years. Returning to Putnam county, Illinois, although over sixty years of age, he joined the One Hundred and Fourth Illinois Volunteer Infantry, as a member of Company H, with which he served for three years, and was then discharged on account of illness. During his service he was taken prisoner by the enemy. He died in 1869, and his wife, who had long preceded him to the other world, passed away in 1837. They had two children - Mrs. BISHOP, and William W., who lives in Hope township, La Salle county, Illinois.

Mrs. BISHOP was the first white child born at Princeton, Illinois, the date of that event being January 1, 1834, and losing her mother when only three years old, she was reared by Lyman HORROM, a native of New Jersey, who came to Illinois in 1830, settling on Ox Bow Prairie in Putnam county. There he improved a farm, and in the early days also worked in the lead mines of Galena. He finally laid aside business cares and removed to Henry, Illinois, in 1863, where he passed away in 1886. He had married Eleanor BAKER, who still survives him, making her home in Henry at the age of eighty-four years, but for the past ten years has been an invalid. They had no children of their own, but reared both Mrs. BISHOP and her brother.

Four children were born to our subject and his wife - Charles W., who lives on section 27, Evans township, Marshall county, married Clara SWISHER. Mary Ella is the wife of Fred WHITING, by whom she has five children, and they also make their home in Evans township. Lydia, who lives in Nebraska, is the wife of John McLAUGHLIN, and they have four children. Lyman Hamlin completes the family. The children were all provided with good common school educations.

The parents are both conscientious Christians, worthy members of the Methodist church, and politically Mr. BISHOP is a republican, but has never accepted office with the exception of school director, which position he held for about twelve years. Although starting out in life with no capital, he struggled along and by hard work has succeeded in gaining a competence. During the first year at Ox Bow Prairie he was able to lay up seven hundred dollars.



Andrew J. Bishop

Mr. Bishop was born in Washington County, Pa., in 1830, and came west in 1853, locating first in Putnam Co., where he married Eliza J Champ the same year. She was born in Hennepin. They have 4 children-Charles W., Mary E., Lydia L. and Lyman H. They are members of M. E. church. He has been school director some eight years, and owns eighty acres of land under good cultivation, and with good Improvements.
[Source: Record of Olden Times or 50 years on the Prairie, 1880, Page 719 Evans Township - Transcribed by Nancy Piper]

 George F. Blackstone and Elenora A. (Bullman) Blackstone


Mr. Blackstone's home is in Lacon, though he has been employed for a number of years in Peoria as U.S. inspector and gauger. His fine education and skill in mathematics eminently qualify him for the position. He is a native of Portland, Maine, and the advanced ground he occupies politically is due to his early education and time. He opened the first hardware store in Lacon, in which he continued until appointed to his present position. In 1857 he married Elenora A. Bullman, born in Lacon, and to them have been born four children - Blanche B., August 26, 1861; Anne L., May 26, 1868; Roy Lot, July 20, 1871 and George Raymond, March 27, 1874. Also one child deceased. Mrs. Blackstone is a daughter of Lot and Anne Bullman, among the first settlers in the County of Marshall. She is an ardent Christian and an active worker in the cause of temperance.

[Source: Record of Olden Times or 50 years on the Prairie, 1880, Page 684 Lacon Township - Transcribed by Nancy Piper]

Daniel Needham Blood

Taken From The Biographical Record of Bureau, Marshall and Putnam Counties, Illinois
Chicago: The S. J. Clarke Publishing Company 1896
Page 40-42

Daniel Needham Blood, now deceased, was for more than forty years one of the leading and most highly respected citizens of Henry, Marshall county, Illinois. He was a native of New Hampshire, born at Hollis, July 7, 1813, and was a son of Joseph P. and Rachel (Needham) Blood. His father was a contractor and stone-mason by trade, and when Daniel was but five or six years of age, removed with his family to Boston, Massachusetts, and later to Rochester, New York, where he was a contractor in the construction of the locks on the Erie Canal. There our subject spent his youth and secured a fair education in the public schools of the city.

In early manhood Mr. Blood removed to Victor, New York, were he engaged in farm work, and was there married January 1, 1838, with Miss Salome Root, a native of that village. For eight years the young couple lived at Victor, and there three children were born to them. In 1845 he made a trip to Illinois, with the view of locating should he be pleased with the country. This visit satisfied him that in this grand state the poor man, who was industriously inclined, had a rare opportunity for bettering his condition in life. He therefore determined to remove here, and so, in 1846, with his wife and three children, he moved to Farmington, Illinois, where he joined his brother, James Blood, in the manufacture of plows.

This brother, when the news came of the discovery of gold in our newly acquired possession, California, was attacked with the gold fever, and was among the first in 1849 to go to the new Eldorado. He returned in 1851, and organized a company, which included several members of the family, again took up his westward march, and is yet living in Santa Barbara, California.

Our subject continued in the manufacture of plows but a short time, and then purchased a flouring mill in Fulton county, which he operated until 1851, when he removed to Henry, Illinois, and here engaged in the hardware business for three years. He then purchased a small farm about two miles northwest of the village, to which he added by subsequent purchase, making a farm of over two hundred acres, on which he made extensive improvements. This farm for the succeeding thirty-four years was his home, and here his children grew to manhood and womanhood, and from which they went out to pursue their various callings in life.

Mr. Blood was a thorough and practical farmer, confining himself to no special feature of farm work, but carrying on a diversified farming. He was quite successful in stock raising, and made some money in that line. In addition to his home farm he invested somewhat in other lands, and also engaged to a limited extent in trading and speculating. At the time of his death he was the owner of considerable land and personal property, and was considered among the well-to-do and prosperous men of Marshall county.

In 1888 he determined to leave the farm, and purchasing a residence in Henry, he removed to the village and practically lived a retired life. For two years he was a great sufferer from heart trouble, and death came to his relief July 11, 1890, and the age of seventy-seven years and four days. His wife preceded him to the "land beyond" some six weeks, so their separation was of but short duration.

To Mr. And Mrs. Blood six children were born, two of whom died in infancy. The living are William M., a farmer, now residing at Whitewood, South Dakota; James A., a merchant of Santa Barbara, California; Mary L. of whom mention is made further on in this sketch, and Daniel N., a farmer, living near York, Nebraska.

In his political views from the organization of the party until his death, Daniel N. Blood was a thorough and consistent republican, and while really averse to holding official position, yet held several offices of a local character, the duties of which he discharged with conscientious fidelity. In later life neither himself nor wife were connected with any church, though favoring the work of both church and Sunday school. --Transcribed and Donated by Nancy Piper

The Henry Female Seminary

Taken From The Biographical Record of Bureau, Marshall and Putnam Counties, Illinois
Chicago: The S. J. Clarke Publishing Company 1896, Page 41

Daniel Blood was a great friend of education and gave freely toward the erection of the Henry Female seminary which stood on a part of his farm, and which was erected under the auspices of Rev. H. G. Pendleton, the first Congregational minister of Henry, and opened November 12, 1849. For some years, the school was conducted by Rev. Pendleton as a boarding school for young ladies, having an attendance of about one hundred pupils. The first building was burned February 15, 1855, after which a more pretentious four story brick was built, together with a handsome brick residence, the latter still standing. The first corps of teachers employed were from Mount Holyoke seminary. Until after the beginning of the war the school flourished, but it then began to decline, and that struggle proved its death blow. For some years school was conducted in the building by various parties, but without success, and it was finally passed into the hands of Mr. Blood, who, on being convinced no good would come of it, had the main building torn down.

Mr. Blood was a man of strong, positive character, and a most careful business man. He was loved in his home, and had many warm friends in the community where he so long resided.  -- Transcribed and Donated by Nancy Piper

Daniel N. Blood, Jr.

Mr. Blood is a farmer living on section 4. He was born in Henry Township. January 3, 1855 and on the 16th of February, 1876. married Minerva Header, a native of Mockport Ind. They have one child, Minerva, born January 22, 1877. Mr. Blood owns and cultivates 280 acres of land. He is a son of Daniel N. and Salome Blood, and a descendant of the celebrated Col. Blood who contested with George IV. for the crown of England.
[Source: Record of Olden Times or 50 years on the Prairie, 1880, Page 704 Henry Township - Transcribed by Nancy Piper]

Mary Blood Hildebrant

Taken From The Biographical Record of Bureau, Marshall and Putnam Counties, Illinois
Chicago: The S. J. Clarke Publishing Company 1896
Page 41-42

Mary L. Blood, the only daughter of Daniel N. and Salome (Root) Blood who grew to womanhood, was born in Fulton county, Illinois, but removed with her parents to Marshall county in early childhood. Here she grew to lovely womanhood and in the Henry seminary received her literary education, which was, however, finished in the Hyde Park seminary of Chicago. She remained with her parents until her marriage, July 11, 1873, with Captain Thomas Q. Hildebrant, a native of Ohio, who for ten years was a prominent attorney of Joliet, Illinois. Captain Hildebrant was a great admirer of the "Little Giant", Stephen A. Douglas, and in the presidential campaign of 1860, stumped the state for that eminent statesman, who was a candidate for the presidency. The "Little Giant" was, however, defeated, and Abraham Lincoln elected. The southern states which, in the event of such an occurrence, had threatened to secede, made good their threats as far as was in their power by passing acts of secession and the appeal to arms. Like his great leader, the patriotic blood of Mr. Hildebrant was fired and he determined to do all in his power to put down the rebellion and wipe out the insult to the old flag. At the first call to arms, he offered his services and raised a company, which became Company F, Twentieth Illinois Volunteer Infantry, and at the head of his company he marched to the front. On account of Ill-health he was compelled to resign after one year's service.

On leaving the service, Captain Hildebrant removed to Ohio, and as his old-time health was renewed, he determined again to enter the army and became a member of the One Hundred and Forty-ninth Ohio Volunteer Infantry, and served until the close of the war, mainly on staff service. On one of the fields of battle, Captain Hildebrant lost his sword, which was a present to him by his old company. It was picked up by a rebel who sold it, and after having been used by a rebel officer, at the close of the war was taken to his home in Florida.

A friend of Captain Hildebrant, while traveling in that state, some twenty-three years after, saw the sword on which the name of the captain was engraved, recognized it, arranged with the soldier for its purchase and returned it to its owner, then residing in Washington, D. C. It is now among the archives of the Grand Army post at Joliet, to which several of the original company belong.

Soon after their marriage, Captain and Mrs. Hildebrant removed to Cincinnati, where he engaged in the practice of law until 1884, when they removed to Washington, D. C., where he resumed practice, making a specialty of practice before the court of claims, and where he attained great distinction as a successful advocate. He resided in Washington until his death, April 9, 1890. His death, however, occurred at Henry, at which place he was then visiting. His remains were laid to rest in the cemetery at Henry, which was laid out on land formerly owned by her father.

Since the death of her husband, Mrs. Hildebrant has made her home in Henry. Until the death of her parents she lived with them, and since that time has resided in the house where they peacefully passed away. Mrs. Hildebrant is a woman of no ordinary ability, which has been recognized by those with whom she has been associated. She was one of the first women elected a member of the school board, and was secretary of the Henry school board for one year. A member of the Congregational church, she takes an active interest in all its work. She also belongs to various clubs, among them being the Woman's club and the Chautauqua club, and her influence for good is felt in each. --Transcribed and Donated by Nancy Piper

John P. Boice

Transcribed and Donated by Nancy Piper

Taken From the Henry Republican, Henry, IL
May 15, 1873

In this city, May 11, of congestive chill, John P. Boice, aged 69 years.

Death of John P. Boice


John P. Boice was born in Massachusetts, November 10, 1803. His parents were wealthy and gave him a collegiate education, Mr. B. graduating with honor at Union college, Schnectady, N. Y., about 1824. After graduating he chose the profession of the law, and removed to the state of Ohio, where he resided for several years, being engaged in the study and practice of his profession. Seeking a wider field in the then far west, the subject of this notice is next found in St. Louis, Mo., where he resided for about one year.  

In the year 1833 he settled in Lewiston, Fulton county of this state, and married, in the same year, Miss Vesta Bagley, with whom he traveled the rough journey of life for near 40 years, and who still survives him. Mr. Boice, upon settling in Fulton county, at once entered into the practice of his profession with an enthusiasm incident to the members of the bar in those early days, and we are assured by those who knew him during that period, that he soon reached a position of prominence among the members of the profession that was awarded to but few of his associates.

Mr. B. was never a fluent speaker, but was considered in his palmy days one of the best judges of law in the entire district in which he resided. It is within the recollection of some of our citizens that Mr. B., in his earlier years, was the compeer and intimate associate of many men whose names stand high on the roll of fame. Among them we will mention Judge Douglas, Browning, Blackwell, Ralston, P. H. Walker, Judge Young, Judge Purple, Judge Weed, Judge Kellogg, the gallant Ed. Baker who was killed at Ball’s Bluff, Mitchell, Ross, and many others, whose names do not now occur to the writer of this sketch.

In politics, Mr. Boice, during his sojourn in Fulton county, was a Whig of the old school Clay type, and to say that he was a true disciple and lover of Henry Clay, and an uncompromising devotee of the political principles of which that great man was the acknowledged leader, is only repeating what is well known to every old citizen of Fulton county. Mr. B., notwithstanding his residence in a strong democratic county, was frequently honored by his fellow citizens with public office. He served nine years as probate judge and 21 years as a magistrate, all of this time occupying the same office, built by himself on Main street in Lewiston.

Just previous to his removal to our town in 1855, Mr. B., was afflicted with two paralytic strokes, which it is thought by his most intimate friends, somewhat impaired his intellectual powers and his usefulness. Since his residence in our city, his career and life are too well known to need any extended notice. He has served as justice of the peace and police magistrate about 12 years of the 17 he has been among us, and was re-elected at our recent annual town meeting.

For the last 10 years (or about that time) Mr. B., has been afflicted with a cancer, and for the most of that time, either from pain of the dreadful malady itself, or from dread of its terrible and generally fatal results, has been a great sufferer. Mr.. B., previous to his death, had been confined to his room a little less than one week, and was considered by his family in a fair way of recovery, until Sunday evening about 8 o’clock, he was taken with a congestive chill, from which, in his weakened condition he was unable to rally, and not withstanding his faithful physician and others were by his bedside the entire time, doing all that human skill could devise to restore him, he peacefully breathed his at 3 o’clock on Monday morning. The funeral obsequies were conducted by Rev. I. C. Goff in the Christian church, and the large assemblage present, as well as the attendance of the Marshall county bar in a body, fully attested the esteem and respect with which the deceased was held in our community.

It is only necessary to add, that the afflicted and bereaved companion of 40 years toil and labor, and his orphaned daughters, have the condolence and the sympathy of the entire community.

RESOLUTIONS OF MARSHALL COUNTY BAR

At a meeting of the members of the Marshall county bar, held in the court house, in Lacon, Illinois, on the 12th day of May A. D. 1873, the following resolutions were reported by the committee, T. M. Shaw, P. S. Perley and G. L. Simpson, and were unanimously adopted:

Whereas, Our lamented brother, John P. Boice, in the fullness of his years now rests from his labors.

Resolved, That in his death the bar has lost an old associate and honored friend, his daughters a father of whom they may well have been proud, the church of his choice a worthy member, and the community in which he lived a sensible, clear-headed citizen and honest man whom all will mourn and long miss out of their midst.

2. That we tender to the family our sincere sympathy and mourn with them over their honored and beloved dead.

3. The bar attend the funeral in a body, and wear the usual badge of mourning for 30 days.

4. That a copy of these proceedings be sent to the family, and to the papers of the county to be published, and that they be presented to the circuit court now in session to be entered on the records in honored remembrance of the dead.

John Burns, Chairman
Fred S. Potter, Secretary.

Robert Boal

Robert Boal, M.D., who came to Marshall county and located at Lacon in 1836 for the practice of his profession, is now living a retired life, making his home with his daughter, the widow of the late Congressman G. L. Fort. He was born near Harrisburg, Pennsylvania in 1806, and when five years of age went with his parents to Ohio, and in what was then a new and undeveloped country, grew to manhood amid the scenes of pioneer life. After attending the subscription schools of that early day, long before free schools became known in that locality, he entered the Cincinnati College to complete his course. However, the desire to obtain a thorough classical education was never realized, as he left the school when just about to be promoted to the junior class.

Soon after leaving college Robert began the study of medicine under a good preceptor, and later entered the Medical College of Ohio, from which he graduated with honor in 1828. From early boyhood he had desired to be a physician, having a natural inclination in that direction. Soon after graduating he commenced the practice of medicine at Reading, Ohio, and four years later in 1832, was united in marriage with Miss Christiana W. Sinclair, a native of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, and of Scotch extraction. By this union three children were born - Charles T., now residing in Chicago; Clara B., now the widow of G. L. Fort, who for years represented hiss district in congress and was well and favorably known throughout the state, and James Sinclair, who for ten years was assistant district attorney for the northern district of Illinois, with headquarters at Chicago, serving under Judge Bangs, General Leake, Judge Tuthill and Judge Ewing and died in office. Mrs. Boal, who was a woman of strong character and lovely disposition, was a worthy helpmeet to the young doctor in pioneer days, being ever ready and willing to cheer his pathway, and make his burden light. She died in Peoria in 1883.

Four years after his marriage Dr. Boal came with his young wife to Marshall county, and locating at Lacon, at once commenced an active practice, which continued uninterruptedly for twenty-six years. In those early days the rides were long, road poor, bridges almost unknown and the practicing physician was required to hold himself in readiness to go at a moments warning at a call from any source and at whatever inconvenience. Many were the calls to which he responded, lonely the long night rides and but little was the pay expected or received.

In common with all professional men, Dr. Boal was somewhat of a politician in the early days of the history of Marshall county. He was an eloquent speaker and his services were often called into requisition in the exciting campaigns which rapidly followed one another. The newspapers did not circulate then as now, and the public and professional speaker was expected to enlighten the people upon the issues of the day.

Politically, Dr. Boal was a whig after attaining his majority, and the principles of that party especially with reference to the great question of the tariff, were in consonance with his ideas of right and for the best interest of the entire country. He took the stump in advocacy of these principles in each succeeding campaign, and was a most effective speaker. In 1844, he was placed in nomination by his party for the state senate in the district comprising of Marshall, Tazewell, Woodford and Putnam, and was triumphantly elected, succeeding Major Cullom, the father of the present United States Senator Cullom.

While in the senate the doctor strongly advocated the building by the state of a hospital for the insane, and was instrumental in securing its passage. For some yars previous the state had been engaged in the construction of a canal and which virtually swamped the state in the panic of 1837. The doctor advocated turning the uncompleted canal over to the bond holders for its early completion, which was accordingly done. He also advocated the calling of a constitutional convention to revise the constitution, and an ac was passed for that purpose, resulting in the constitution of 1848, which for twenty-two years was the basis of our state laws, or until repealed by the constitution of 1870.

Dr. Boal was a politician of state reputation, and was on intimate terms with all the great leaders of the whig party.

He first met the immortal Lincoln in 1842, and was at once drawn to him, and the personal acquaintance formed with him at the congressional convention of that year was kept up and lasted through the life of Lincoln.

In 1854 Dr. Boal was elected a member of the general assembly of the state, the last whig elected from the district; at the session of the legislature following his election a United States senator was to be elected. Lincoln was the whig candidate and was enthusiastically supported by the doctor. Every student of history knows the result of that election. A small number of what was known at anti-Nebraska democrats, of whom John M. Palmer was one, held the balance of power, and when convinced their favorite could not be elected the entire whig vote was case, with that of the anti-Nebraska democrats, for Lyman Trumbull, who was duly chosen.

The whig party was nor virtually dead, and in 1856 a convention of anti-slavery men met at Bloomington, Illinois, in which was brought into existence the republican party of the state. In this convention Dr. Boal sat as one of the delegates, and was thus instrumental in the birth of that party, which four years later succeeded in electing Abraham Lincoln as president, an event followed by the greatest war of modern times, resulting in the entire abolition of slavery and the cementing of the ties binding the states of the union together, stronger than ever before. Dr. Boal was renominated for the house of representatives in 1856, and again elected, and served with credit to himself and his constituents.

William H. Bissell was elected governor in 1856, and soon after his inauguration he appointed Dr. Boal as one of the trustees of the deaf and dumb asylum at Jacksonville, a position which he held by reappointment by succeeding governors, for seventeen years, the last five years of which time serving as president of the board. Soon after the commencement of hostilities between the states Dr. Boal was appointed surgeon of the board of enrollment, with headquarters at Peoria, which position he held until the close of the war.

The active political life of Dr. Boal closed with the war. He then moved his family to Peoria and engaged in general practice, which he continued successfully for twenty-eight years. As a physician he was recognized by his co-laborers and the public as well, as one of the best in the state. His practice was very large, patients coming for treatment by him for many miles around. In 1882, he served as president of the State Medical association, an honor worthily bestowed.

Dr. Boal continued in the active practice of his profession until he was eighty-seven years of age, when he retired and returned to Lacon, where he now makes his home. He is a well preserved man, mentally and physically, and an inveterate smoker. A great reader, he has kept posted in the current and general literature of the day and has also been a lover of the drama. In the social circle he is always surrounded by those who love to listen to an attractive conversationalist, one who can instruct as well as amuse.

Transcribed and Donated by Nancy Piper
Taken From The Biographical record of Bureau, Marshall and Putnam Counties, Illinois., Chicago: S.J. Clarke Pub. Co., 1896, Page 50-52

 Francis H. Bond
Mr. Bond was born in Worcester County, Mass. in 1821 and came west in 1846 where he became a very successful teacher. Choosing law as a profession he qualified himself for its practice, and was admitted to the bar in 1861, and has followed it successfully ever since. He married Lucy Broaddus in 1848, born in Virginia. They have had one child which no longer survives. Mr. Bond has been city attorney, town clerk, and served as justice of the peace for many yean. He is likewise real estate agent and can give valuable information to buyers or sellers.
[Source: Record of Olden Times or 50 years on the Prairie, 1880, Page 721 Evans Township - Transcribed by Nancy Piper]
 H. D. Bonham, Warford Bonham

Mr. Bonham was born in Pickaway County, Ohio, in 1831, and came to Marshall County with his parents in the spring of 1835. He is a son of Warford Bonham, who died July 23,1869, leaving nine children, of which the subject of this sketch is the youngest. He married Miss Luana Swift in 1852. She was born in Angelica, N. Y. They have five children living- Alice R., Rosco L., Millard F., Carrie M. and Emily N., and one deceased, Lillie S. He is school director, and has been assessor two times. He owns 210 acres of land in sections 35 and 36.
[Source: Record of Olden Times or 50 years on the Prairie, 1880, Page 761 Whitefield Township - Transcribed by Nancy Piper]

The patriarch of the Township was Warford Bonham, Sr., known far and near as Father Bonham, who came in 1835. He brought with him a large family, consisting of his daughters Mahala and Eliza, wedded to James Tanquary and John S. Hoskins; George, who afterward moved to Chicago; Jeriah, now living at Peoria; William, at Sparland; Warford Jr., living under the bluffs near the old homestead; Mary Ann, married to Henry Hoskins; Clayton, who died in 1870; Hanson D., who occupies the old home farm, and Emily, deceased.

He was born in Maryland in 1781 and lived there until his tenth year, when his father having died his mother removed to Washington County, Pa., where he labored on a farm until 18 years old, when he visited Ohio and selected a location near the then new town of Bainbridge. In 1808 he married Rebecca Mason, and opened a hotel. In 1812 he enlisted and throughout the war commanded a company serving in north-western Ohio, returning at its close to his hotel, which he run until 1824, when he removed to Pickaway County, Ohio, and went to farming, following it until his removal west in 1834. In that year, with an outfit of one four-horse and two two-horse wagons he came to Illinois, settling on the place where he ever after lived in 1834.
Mr. Bonham came to Tazewell about 1833 or 1834, remaining there until his removal to Marshall County in 1835.

With his sons-in-law Hoskins and Tanquary he visited the County the winter previous to their coming, each selecting a claim and building cabins of the orthodox stick and mud chimney pattern. The place selected by Mr. Bonham was a fertile plain at the foot of the bluff, three miles north of the Lacon ferry. Between it and the river is a fine belt of timber, and in the rear are the picturesque bluffs of the Illinois, while the land is peculiarly adapted to raising fruits, vegetables and grain of all kinds. Here are the ruins of the old homestead, and nearby is the family graveyard, where the "aged fathers of the hamlet sleep."

Father Bonham lived to see his sons grow to manhood and his daughters comfortably settled around him and died July 22, 1869, at the ripe age of eighty-eight. His wife preceded him some eleven years. His family connections were very large, and few men are so honored through their descendants as him. He was the father of 12 children, the grandfather of 83, and the great-grandfather of 27.
[Source: Record of Olden Times or 50 years on the Prairie, 1880, Page 522, 523, 761 Whitefield Township - Transcribed by Nancy Piper]

M. M. BOON

M. M. BOON, residing on section 22, Richland township, is a type of that class of men born to a life of toil, and whatever their surroundings, have a fixed determination to make the best of them. He is a native of Sullivan county, Indiana, born December 16, 1819. His father, George BOON, was a native of Kentucky, born in 1783. He married Elizabeth McCAMMON, also a native of Kentucky, born in 1790. Their wedding was celebrated in their native state, and shortly afterward, in 1815, they located in Sullivan county, Indiana, where the remainder of their lives were spent and where they reared a family of eleven children, only two of whom are now living - our subject and Mrs. Martha CLARK. George BOON figured largely in politics in his native state. He was a stanch democrat, and served as a representative and senator thirteen years.

Mr. BOON, of this review, grew to manhood on his father's farm in Sullivan county, Indiana, and was reared to the life of a farmer, which occupation he has always followed. In that early day the free school system had not been established, and as the country was new and thinly settled with a class of people with very limited means, the only recourse for an education was in the subscription schools, taught by some wandering pedagogue, who knew but little of books and less of human nature. In such schools, in the old-fashioned log school house, with its puncheon floor and slab seats, the rudiments of an education were received by our subject. What little opportunity he had he improved as best he could, early showing an earnest purpose. But it was work, hard work, that developed in him the man.

Until reaching maturity, Mr. BOON remained with his parents, assisting in the work of the farm. He then started in life for himself, going out from home empty-handed, but with a brave heart and an earnest desire to succeed in life, making for himself a home somehow and somewhere, which he might invite another to enjoy with him. The time soon came when he determined to share his lot with another, and so, on the 22d of October, 1846, he married Miss Elizabeth CARITHERS, whose birth occurred in Sullivan county, Indiana, April 25, 1825. By this union five children were born, all sons, of whom three are now living: Alexander, who resides in Nebraska; William P., living in Eureka Illinois, and Benjamin F., of Woodford county, this state.

After his marriage, Mr. BOON rented a farm in his native county, which he operated one season, and then came by wagon to Marshall county, which has since been his home. For thirteen years he rented land and had no permanent home. In the fall of 1860, however, he purchased his present farm, which at that time was all covered with a heavy growth of timber. Commencing at once its improvement, he has cleared more than half of the land, and has one of the most productive farms in this section.

After a happy married life of sixteen years, Mrs. BOON was called to her long home, dying in 1862. Mr. BOON again married, taking as a wife Mrs. Sarah E. BECKWITH, nee BURGESS, a native of Massachusetts, and daughter of Cornelius and Dorothy (LORD) BURGESS, both of whom were also natives of Massachusetts. Her parents moved to Marshall county in 1859, locating in Evans township, where they both died. In their family were eight children, of whom four are now living: Mrs. BOON, Otis, Nancy PACKENHAM and Louisa BURBEY. Mrs. BOON was born February 22, 1835. She first married John W. BECKWITH, and moved to Marshall county, Illinois, in 1858. When the war for the Union broke out he enlisted and died in the service in 1862.

The marriage of Mr. BOON and Mrs. BECKWITH was celebrated February 25, 1864, and to them four children have been born: Abby C., now Mrs. ADAMS, of Peoria, Illinois; Darling B., who married Addie WHITTLE and resides in Belle Plain township; Myra A., now Mrs. GERHART, of Grossdale, Illinois, and Telva, at home.

To each of his children Mr. BOON has given a good education, as he has often felt the need of such in his own life. In politics he is classed as a democrat, but is not a partisan. He cares nothing for official position but has served his township as road commissioner and school director in a satisfactory manner. He built the Harper bridge across Crow creek, but his life has been mainly devoted to agricultural pursuits. Mrs. BOON is a member of the Christian church at Washburn, and is a woman worthy to be the wife of the genial, generous and manly man - M. M. BOON.

[Source: The Biographical Record of Bureau, Marshall and Putnam Counties, Illinois, Published in Chicago: The S. J. Clarke Publishing Company. 1896. - Transcribed by Norma Hass]

William Boys
Mr. Boys was born in Monroe County, Pa., February 23d, 1805, and married Leuticia Morgan, a native of the same County, born June 8th, 1808. They came to Marshall County in 1834, settling in Hopewell Township, where Mrs. Boys died in 1880. Six children were born to them, of whom three are still living,-Charles, Ellen, Emily (Mrs. Ramsey); and John, Mary (Mrs. Norton) and Morgan, deceased. M. Boys died October 2d, 1869. He left a beautiful residence and a fine farm of 160 acres.
[Source: Record of Olden Times or 50 years on the Prairie, 1880, Page 732 Hopewell Township - Transcribed by Nancy Piper]
Charles Taylor Brandenburg
Mr. Brandenburg was born in Harrison County, Ind., in 1849 and was a son of Joseph Brandenburg and Sarah Guartney. He came to Marshall County in 1868, formed the acquaintance of Miss Sarah E. Andrews, with whom he united in marriage in 1875, and has one child, Sarah Edna. Miss Andrews was daughter of Harmon Andrews, who was born in the city of New York in 1820 and Eliza Peterson, of Westmoreland County, Pa. Miss Andrews was daughter of Harmon Andrews, who was born in the city of New York in 1820 and Eliza Peterson, of Westmoreland County, Pa. They were married in Fulton County, Ill., Nov. 22.1843, and to them were born eight children, five of whom are now living,-Benjamin C. and Daniel H. reside in Ford County, Ill.; Mrs. Sarah E, Brandenburg lives on the old homestead; Jas. H. in Marshall County, and Jennie lives in Lacon
[Source: Record of Olden Times or 50 years on the Prairie, 1880, Page 761-762 Whitefield Township - Transcribed by Nancy Piper]
Frank H. Brant

Mr. Brant is a native of Illinois, born February 11th, 1855. He learned the trade of a watchmaker and jeweler in Fairbury, Livingston County, worked about five months in Henry, and then located in Varna, starting in business for himself in 1876, and serving as assistant postmaster a portion of the time during his residence in Varna. In October of 1879 he moved to Wenona, where he has since carried on his business. He keeps constantly on hand a stock of goods suitable to his trade.
[Source: Record of Olden Times or 50 years on the Prairie, 1880, Page 713 Evans Township - Transcribed by Nancy Piper]

Otto Brauns


Mr. Brauns is a resident of Lacon and proprietor of a hotel, restaurant and saloon. He was born in the province of Saxony, Nordhausen, Germany, in 1834, and came to this country in 1854, first locating in Peoria, and settling in Lacon in 1876. In 1864 he was married in Vicksburg, Miss., to Miss Lizzie Shroder, a native of Bavaria. They have four children living - Fred, Caroline, Charles and Attilla. April 21, 1861, he enlisted in Co. I. 8th Ill. Vol. Inf., served three months, re-enlisted m the same regiment and served three years. At Fort Donelson, Feb. 15.1862 he was wounded in the breast by a cannon ball. He participated in the Vicksburg campaign, being in the battles of Vicksburg, Champion Hills, Fort Gibson and other hard-fought engagements, and when mustered out July 25, 1864, had attained the rank of first lieutenant. Mr. Brauns served in the royal army of Prussia from 1849 to 1851, before coming to this country.

[Source: Record of Olden Times or 50 years on the Prairie, 1880, Page 688 Lacon Township - Transcribed by Nancy Piper]

 

Christopher Broaddus, Mrs. Minerva (Hall) Broaddus
Mrs. Broaddus was born in Ohio. January 25,1828, being the eldest daughter of James Hall, one of the pioneers of Marshall County, and came to this state with her parents in 1831. She was married to Christopher Broaddus, who was born September 20, 1819, and died July 19,1871. Their children were Cynthia L., Helen M. , Jessica H., Lucy J., Florence E., Marshall II., Alice V., James H. and Almedia. Mr. Broaddus left his family in excellent circumstances, owning some 1500 acres of land at the time of his death, and the delightful residence now occupied by Mrs. Broaddus is one of the most desirable in the County. After her husband's death, Mm. B. assumed control of the large estate, and has managed it with skill and profit. She has considerably improved the grounds, and the old home has been rebuilt at a cast of $2,000. Her children have married well, and to her the clouds of the future have a silver lining.
[Source: Record of Olden Times or 50 years on the Prairie, 1880, Page 734-735 Roberts Township - Transcribed by Nancy Piper]
 

Irving Broaddus


Mr. Broaddus was born in Hopewell Township. Marshall County in 1840 and was a son of Lundsford Broaddus, one of the early settlers of the Township. The place he occupies is one of the very oldest and upon his grounds was built the first store and kept the first school ever taught in Marshall County. In 1863 he wedded Ruth Forbes, born in Hopewell, and together they have five children - Savella A., Cora E., Lillie May, Walter J. and Nancy R. Mr. B. is a good farmer, and his services are in demand as an auctioneer. He is a good judge of stock, likes a good horse, is not afraid of hard work, and is considered a successful farmer.

[Source: Record of Olden Times or 50 years on the Prairie, 1880, Page 690 Lacon Township - Transcribed by Nancy Piper]

Reuben Broaddus
Mr. Broaddus is a large farmer, owning 940 acres of land in a high state of cultivation, and one of the finest residences on the prairie. He is an extensive stock grower likewise, and is credited with sending to Chicago the best herd of fat cattle ever shipped from the County, He was born in Fayette County, Indiana. July 6th, 1831. Came to Marshall County in 1834 and married Miss Mary J. Forbes, Nov. 21, 1855. She was born in Hopewell Township, Sept. 12, 1835. They have five children,-Lawrence W., Minnie A., Warren A., Mary H. and Andrew R.
[Source: Record of Olden Times or 50 years on the Prairie, 1880, Page 735 Roberts Township - Transcribed by Nancy Piper]

Mary D. Brooks

Mrs. Brooks was born in the State of New York, and there received her education.  She was married in June, 1837, to Mr. Brooks and eight children were born to them, viz. John D., Cordelia King, George W., Harriet M. Wilder, Charles E., Sarah E. Stratton and Mary A.  Another daughter, Leonora, died September 17, 1861.  Mrs. Brooks owns an cultivates 160 acres.-- Transcribed and Donated by Nancy Piper

From  "The  Record of Olden Times or Fifty Year on the Prairie" embracing sketches of the discovery, exploration and settlement of the country. by Spencer Elsworth,   Lacon, IL Home Journal Steam Printing Establishment Copyright Date MDCCCLXXX (1880), Bennington Township, Page 740

Johnson Brown

Mr. Brown was born in Fayette County. Pa., in 1822 and came to Putnam County in 1842 and to Wenona in 1855. He married Miss Augusta A. Reniff in 1853, born in Massachusetts. Their children are Clarence H., Lillian E.. Joslin and Sherman J. They are members of the Presbyterian Church. His oldest son, Clarence J., was the first white child born in Wenona and he himself was the first justice of the peace, which position he filled about 8 years, and served as assessor and collector two years of each. His wife has kept a millinery establishment since 1864. S. Brown, his brother, who keeps a livery stable in Wenona, served in the army in company H. 104th Ill. Volunteers, having enlisted in 1862, and served to the close of the war. He is alderman in the 2d ward. Is serving his second term.
[Source: Record of Olden Times or 50 years on the Prairie, 1880, Page 715 Evans Township - Transcribed by Nancy Piper]
 Cyrus Brown
Mr. Brown was born in St. Lawrence County, N. Y., April 22, 1828. Son of Luther Brown, formerly of Grotton, N. H., and Permalia Parker, daughter of Anson Parker, formerly of Dorset, Vt. Came to Steuben County, Ind., in 1840, with his parents and resided there until 1849 where his father died in 1843. His mother died March 26,1864, at Fairbury, Ill. In September. 1849, came to Marshall County, and in 1856 located in Whitefield township. Married in February, 1858, to Miss Elizabeth Barnes, daughter of William O. Barnes, of Bradford County, Pa., and Clarissa Warfield, also of Pennsylvania. Has four children, - Florence N., Jasper W., Carrie E. and Edmund L. Served in the army during the late rebellion one year, from Sept, 30,1864, to October 26,1865, in the 32d Reg, Ill. Vols. Has held the several offices of constable, supervisor, school treasurer and justice of the peace. Has three sisters and two brothers living,-Mrs. Alvira Malcolm, who resides in Cambridge. Henry county, Ill.; Mrs. Eliza Jones, in Ventura County, Cal., and Mrs. Lydia A. Patten, San Jose, Cal. Anson resides in Sumner County, Kansas, and Orson in Cass County, Iowa. Mrs. Brown, grandmother of Cyrus, lived in the days of the Revolution, and often related seeing the burning of Charlestown on the morning of the battle of Bunker Hill. Mr. Brown owns a farm of 320 acres.
[Source: Record of Olden Times or 50 years on the Prairie, 1880, Page 762 Whitefield Township - Transcribed by Nancy Piper]
 N. F. Brown
Mr. Brown is a farmer, and was born in Fayette County, Pa. in 1831. He located in LaSalle County with his parents when quite young, and married Miss Matilda Judd in 1855. She was born in Evans Township, Marshall County, Illinois. She is the youngest child of Thomas and Elizabeth Judd, two of the oldest settlers of Marshall County They have three children-Almeda K, May A. and S, Benton. They own 160 acres of land. They have two children deceased-Alice A. and Fanny -the former died when between five and six years old, and the latter between two and a half and three tears old.
[Source: Record of Olden Times or 50 years on the Prairie, 1880, Page 725 Evans Township - Transcribed by Nancy Piper]
William Brown
William Brown was born in VA in 1755. At the age of twenty he joined the VA Militia and served through the Revolutionary War. Following the Revolutionary War he moved from VA with his family to a town in KY along the Ohio River. He fought in the war of 1812 against the Indians, whom the British hired to fight the Americans. On one occasion he found two Indians about to scalp his sister as she was walking along the river. He killed both Indians and vowed to kill as many more as possible. The notches on his gun showed he had ability that way, for there were many.
In the 1830's he decided to move to Illinois. He traveled by water to Hennepin, then overland to the head of the Big Sandy, which was in the Sandy District of LaSalle County at the time. He arrived there late in 1834 and was elected constable of the Sandy Precinct.
He established his claim in the northeast quarter of section 11 of Evans Township and later acquired the full rights to lands that he held jointly with Amos Williams and Martin Kennedy, from a prior Sept 24, 1839 land purchase, giving him 224 1/2 acres which comprised all of the southwest quarter of section 11 and 64 1/2 acres lying across the north half of the southeast quarter of section 11 in Evans Township. Later (in 1842) he sold his holdings to Thomas Alexander, a breeder of blooded stock (from KY) for the consideration of $3,000.00.
While preparing for a hunt on the Hard Scrabble in the vicinity of the Vermilion River (Now Streator, IL) he answered his last call. He died of heart failure and was laid to rest in the Cherry Point Cemetery.
Taken from the "Henry News Republican, 29 July 1937.
submitted by Sherri Simmons of IL.
 Adam Brunner
Mr. Brunner is a shoemaker, engaged in business in Wenona. He was born in Wurttemberg, Germany, in 1850, and came to the United States in the fall of 1870, locating in Dwight, Livingston County, where he lived until he came to Wenona, in the spring of 1873. He commenced business at his trade, which he learned in the old country, and has been working at it since 1865. He owns a house and lot in Wenona, and is well to do. He is master of his profession, and enjoys the reputation of a first-class shoemaker.
[Source: Record of Olden Times or 50 years on the Prairie, 1880, Page 725 Evans Township - Transcribed by Nancy Piper]

Samuel Buck

Samuel Buck, who resides upon section 19, Richland township, while not classed specially among the pioneers, has yet spent in Marshall county nearly forty years of active business life, and is well and favorably known, not alone in his own county, but in the adjoining counties as well. He is a native of Montgomery county, Indiana, born September 25, 1831, and is a son of Andrew and Hannah (Butt) Buck, the former a native of Pennsylvania, born May 14, 1797 and the latter of Maryland. They settled in Montgomery county, Indiana, near Crawforsville at a very early day and there lived the remainder of their lives, the mother dying April 3, 1843, when Samuel was in his youth, the father August 10, 1869. They were the parents of ten children, six sons and four daughters, all of whom grew to maturity, but three daughters and our subject are the only ones now living. One son, Daniel, was a soldier in the Mexican war, and another, Jacob, who was a soldier in the civil war, died in the service.

The subject of this sketch grew to manhood on his father's farm in Indiana, and was educated in the district schools. He there learned the making of brick, and became an expert in that industry. It was for the purpose of engaging in this industry that he came to Marshall county, Illinois, in the spring of 1857. Purchasing a small tract of land on section 19, Richland township, which was then covered with timber and brush, he at once set about the improvement of the place, clearing and developing a farm. He also commenced the manufacture of brick, in which business he continued in connection with farming until 1882, a period of twenty-five years. At that time he made many thousands of superior brick and sold his products for miles around. For some years he also operated a steam saw mill, and in carrying on the three lines of business it may well be conceived that he was a busy man.

Two years after coming to this locality Mr. Buck was united in marriage with Miss Sarah J. Malone, a daughter of Joseph Malone, now deceased, who located here in 1843, coming from Fountain county, Indiana, where Mrs. Buck was born. On coming to this county she was but a very small child, and here she grew to lovely womanhood, and in 1859 married our subject. Three children were born of this union - Andrew, Ella and William. The daughter is now the wife of Lincoln Kunkle and resides in Richland township. The mother died April 30, 1888, after a happy married life of twenty-nine years. She was an earnest Christian woman, a member of the Christian church for many years and died in the hope of the resurrection and the blessed reunion beyond the grave.

On coming to this county, Mr. Buck was in limited circumstances, but he came with an object in view, and with a steadfast determination to succeed in life. From a small beginning and to his original purchase of one hundred and sixty acres of land, he added from time to time until today he is the owner of seven hundred and seventy-five acres of fine land, all of which is highly improved. Almost all the improvements made have been by his own hands or under his supervision. Success has crowned his efforts and he is able to enjoy the fruits of a life well spent in honest toil and the honest accumulation of years.

Samuel Buck has, from the beginning of his life in Marshall county, enjoyed the confidence and esteem of his fellow-citizens. A man of fine qualities and of excellent judgment, he has frequently been called upon to administer upon estates and it can be safely assumed that he never betrayed a trust, and every duty was faithfully discharged.

Fraternally, Mr. Buck was for some years a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, but at present does not affiliate with the order, although its principles he holds in the highest respect. Politically, he is a democrat, with which party he has always been associated, believing strongly in the principles of the party, as advocated by its great leaders, Jefferson, Jackson, Douglas and others. Of late years, however, he has taken but little interest in political affairs, leaving such matters to younger men. During his residence here he has often been called upon to fill local office, having served as supervisor of the township, and for many years as school director, having taken great interest in educational matters. Purely a self-made man, his life is worthy of emulation by the youth of the land.

Taken From The Biographical record of Bureau, Marshall and Putnam Counties, Illinois., Chicago: S.J. Clarke Pub. Co., 1896, page 59-60

 Jahu Buckingham
Mr. Buckingham was born in Woodford County, Dec. 20, 1840, and is a son of Judge Buckingham, one of the early settlers and large land-holders of Woodford County, After completing his education he enlisted in the 77th regiment Illinois volunteers, and did his full share of fighting, never shirking duty and never hesitating to follow where any dared to lead. In 1863 he wedded Miss Carrie M, Jenkins, of Cayuga County, New York, born May 7th, 1840. She was highly educated and a very successful teacher, eminent for her social worth and many virtues. They have four children living and three are dead. The living are William F., Benjamin J., Frank I. and Ada K. Since his return from the army Mr. Buckingham has been in the stock business.
[Source: Record of Olden Times or 50 years on the Prairie, 1880, Page 735-736 Roberts Township - Transcribed by Nancy Piper]
 Joseph St. Clair Bullman
Mr. Bullman is a son of Lott Bullman and was born and reared in Hopewell Township. He has a good farm of his own, and a pleasant home, is industrious and knows how to take care of himself. He married Susan, daughter of Henry Wier, Sept. 22, 1875, and to them has been given one child, Ullman J.
[Source: Record of Olden Times or 50 years on the Prairie, 1880, Page 730 Hopewell Township - Transcribed by Nancy Piper]
 Joshua D. Bullman
Mr. Bullman was born in Morris County, New Jersey, February 21, 1806. He enjoyed the advantages of a common school education, and labored on a farm until twenty-two years old, when he married Catherine Hall, born May 30,1808, and started west the same year, in company with his mother and younger brother Lot. They found a stopping place on the Wabash until the spring of 1832, when they came to Marshall County and selected the place where he has ever since lived and hopes to die. He was a good worker, and so was his wife, and the prairie was soon transformed into a thriving farm, with fields loaded with wheat and corn. In course of time children were born to them, five in number-Hattie, Theodore, Mortimer, Clementine and Theresa. After a long and useful life, Mrs. Bullman, the faithful companion of his better days, died, and they laid her beneath the daises. Mr. Bullman still lives at the old farm, which his son Mortimer carries on, and where his children and grandchildren come to visit him. Of the latter there are five.
[Source: Record of Olden Times or 50 years on the Prairie, 1880, Page 729 Hopewell Township - Transcribed by Nancy Piper]
 Lott Bullman
Mr. Bullman was born in Morris County, New Jersey, July 9th, 1811 and came west in 1830. He stopped on the Wabash River one season, and came to his present location in 1832. He married Ann Babb, daughter of Joseph Babb of Somerset, Ohio, in 1836. She was born in 1815. They have four children, Eleanor Ann (Mrs. Blackstone), Margaret Jane (Mrs. Hancock), Joseph St. Clair and Clarissa Frances (deceased). Mr. and Mrs. Bullman have led long and useful lives, and their good deeds will he remembered after they have paid the debt of nature. Besides their own children they have reared several orphans, giving them good educations and otherwise aiding them. Few persons are so widely known, and fewer still so generally respected.
[Source: Record of Olden Times or 50 years on the Prairie, 1880, Page 730 Hopewell Township - Transcribed by Nancy Piper]

Judge John Burns


The subject of this sketch is a judge of the circuit court of this district, and resides in Lacon. He was born in Brook County, Va., in 1819, moved to Morgan County Ill., in 1834, and in 1835 located in Marshall County. After a thorough course of study and mental training he was admitted to the bar in 1851, and was actively engaged in the practice of his profession until 1873, when he was elected Judge of the Circuit Court, In 1879 he was re-elected for an additional term of six years. In 1851 he married Percilla Cannon, a native of Peoria County, who died in 1866, leaving six children - Julius C, Julia, Lizzie, William, and Ada. In 1869 he married Mrs. C. A. Stedbarn, a native of Delaware, who by a former marriage had one daughter, Mrs. Bellows, of Washington, Ill., wife of a well-known engineer on the C. & A. R. R. In early life Judge Burns was a successful school teacher. In 1844 he was elected recorder of deeds, and in 1846 was appointed clerk of the circuit court, and the next election was re-elected. In 1856 he was candidate for State Senator, and in 1861 was a member of the Constitutional Convention. He was mayor of Lacon for several years, and has filled various other offices of trust and profit. As Judge he is deservedly popular, and his name as a jurist stands high. He has often been called upon to preside in cases outside of his district, was favorably spoken of as Judge of the Appellate court. Judge Burns is polished in manners, creates a good impression among strangers, and is universally commended for his fairness in the trial of cases.

[Source: Record of Olden Times or 50 years on the Prairie, 1880, Page 689 Lacon Township - Transcribed by Nancy Piper]
 

Richard Burroughs
Mr. Burroughs was born in County Kilkenny, Ireland, in 1820, came to the United States in 1852, and located in the New York, where he lived eleven years. In 1861 he determined to go west, and came to Marshall County Illinois. He married Johanna Quinn in 1846. She was a native of the same place. She died March 27,1879 leaving three children-Margaret, Edward and Mary Ann. They are Catholics. He owns 160 acres of land, and is a good substantial farmer. Mr. B. is indebted to his own industry for his success. He has raised a family of intelligent boys and girls, is proud of his adopted country, and deserves his good fortune
[Source: Record of Olden Times or 50 years on the Prairie, 1880, Page 718 Evans Township - Transcribed by Nancy Piper]
Olney Burton
Mr. Burton is a retired farmer, born in Pomfret, Windham County, Conn., in 1810. He came to Illinois in 1865, settling in Macoupin County, where he lived until 1873, when he went to Missouri. The country there did not suit him and after one season's trial he removed to Marshall County, where a married daughter, Mrs. Weiderhold, was living. Here he has since remained. In 1833 he married Louisa Chandler, who became the mother of four children, viz: Maria Burlingame, Mary E., Fanny and Aura J. He is well versed in national affairs and likes to converse upon them.
[Source: Record of Olden Times or 50 years on the Prairie, 1880, Page 684 Lacon Township - Transcribed by Nancy Piper]  
James Bussell
Mr. Bussell was born in Somersetshire, England, in 1820, and came to the United States in 1844. He first settled in Ohio, then removed to Peoria county, and came to Marshall County in 1851. He married Miss Johannah Howard in 1862. She was born in Ireland, and is a member of the Catholic Church. He owns 560 acres all in cultivation, except 80 which is timber. He is one of the solid old farmers of La Prairie Township, influenced only by that which he believes to be right. He is a good neighbor and kind friend.
[Source: Record of Olden Times or 50 years on the Prairie, 1880, Page 752 Steuben Township - Transcribed by Nancy Piper]

 

Back to Marshall County Illinois History and Genealogy


Back to Illinois Trails Main Page