>


Genealogy Trails
Marshall County Illinois
Biographies
F

 

 William R. Fairbanks.

Lacon, Illinois.
[Source: Record of Olden Times or 50 years on the Prairie, 1880, Page 687 Lacon Township - Transcribed by Nancy Piper]



 William W. Feazle
Mr. Feazle is a farmer by occupation, and cultivates 120 acres on section 36 of Hopewell Township. He was born in Ohio, June 6, 1830 and came to Marshall County in 1845. He was married in 1842, and his wife died January 11, 1879, leaving four children-Eliza C., Melford F., George W. and Andrew J. He comes from a family well known in Marshall County, as energetic, pushing and money-making. He is a good farmer, keeps his premises in good condition, drives a good team, and likes his friends.
[Source: Record of Olden Times or 50 years on the Prairie, 1880, Page 731 Hopewell Township ]


Ira I. Fenn

Taken From the Henry Republican
January 9, 1873

At Lacon, Jan. 3, Ira I. Fenn, Esq.

Another old and revered settler, Ira I. Fenn, Esq., of Lacon, passed to the farther shore on Friday last. He has been identified with the interest of this county from its earliest day, holding a number of responsible positions in which he served with honor and fidelity, and was held in high esteem as a lawyer, citizen, and Christian. He has lived to a good green age, and probably rounded the full time of four score years. The bar at Lacon took formal recognition of their departed member, by calling a meeting, passing resolutions of respect and condolence, and attending the funeral on Sunday last in a body. The decease was an active, consistent and useful member of the Presbyterian church in that city.


Ira I. Fenn


Mr. Fenn was born in Kent, Litchfield County. Conn., Aug. 22, 1799, and labored on a farm until 1818, when, with his brother Norman, they started for Dayton, Ohio, where he read law and was admitted to practice. He remained here in the active prosecution of his profession until 1836, when he journeyed to Illinois and made extensive investments that caused his removal and permanent settlement in Lacon. Here he resumed the practice of law, and carried it on successfully until 1855, when he became absorbed in railway enterprises and gave it over to others. He was twice married, first to Eunice Pomeroy, who died the year after his arrival in Lacon, and his second wife was Fannie E. Dudley to whom one son survives, Dudley E., born Feb. 17, 1810. Mr. Fenn died January 3, 1873. He was a leading citizen in the town for years, and his influence was always on the side of right. In Church and society he bore a prominent part, and his record is unsullied by a single blot or stain.

[Source: Record of Olden Times or 50 years on the Prairie, 1880, Page 694 Lacon Township - Transcribed by Nancy Piper]


David Fanning

Death of David Fanning
The death of David Fanning, one of the pioneer settlers of Henry, will be learned with sincere sorrow by the many friends who have known him in this section.  He died at his home near Lake City, Minn., December 8d, (1866) where he moved several years ago, after a period of severe, physical prostration denominated consumption, though old age and its infirmities had much to do with it.  

Mr. Fanning moved to Henry 24 years ago, joining the Hoyt family here of whom his wife was a member.  Here he raised a numerous family, the boys becoming expert hunters, and who always supplied the family with abundance of venison, wild turkeys, prairie chickens, etc., which were plenty in those days. He gloried in pioneer life, and as the neighbors got "too thick", he sought the wilds of Minnesota, where with "elbow room" and his grown children around him, he could enjoy life unmolested.

So he lived in the log cabin with its "ready conveniences" the most of his days.  His "forte" was root digging and hardly a plant or herb existed in this section but what he knew its history and use, though giving more attention to ginsing and herb which he resurrected in quantities and sent to market.  Of his religious experiences but little need be said.   He was always kind and obliging, honest, straight-forward and moral in life and language.

But in the "great awakenings" from winter to winter that prevailed to swell church membership did not attract him, or draw him out to the meetings, but as he termed it, he was "as good as any of the church members", and pursued a course of life in accordance with his own conceptions of right and wrong.  Hence his goodness manifested itself in the commonalities of life, and his religion was in simple honesty and kindness in his dealings with all.  He has lived to a good old age (perhaps 70), made but few enemies in his long life, and passed away to his reward.

Taken From the Marshall County Telegraph Newspaper, Henry, IL
December 27, 1866

Cicero M. Ferguson


Mr. Ferguson was born in Harrison comity. Ohio, in 1823, moved to Richland County with his parents when a boy, and to Illinois in 1844. Went to Peoria in 1848 and to Henry in 1852. In 1846 he married Susan Hull, born in Cumberland County. Pa. He has been superintendent of the Henry Bridge for four years, and was street superintendent four years. He is a stockholder in the Bridge Company, owns a good farm in Henry Township, and a coal bank in Whitefield.

[Source: Record of Olden Times or 50 years on the Prairie, 1880, Page 700 Henry Township]


Capt. Henry Fisher


The subject of his sketch is a native of Union County, Pa., where he was born in 1833. Two years later his parents moved to Summit County, Ohio, where he was raised and in 1856 he came to Marshall County. In February, 1862, he organized Co. E. 65th Ill. Vol. Inf., of which he was commissioned first lieutenant, being promoted to the captaincy in December following. He participated in the exciting Shenandoah Valley campaign of 1862, which culminated in the seize and capture by the rebels of Harper's Ferry and was one of that 11,500 brave men humiliated by surrender through the gross incompetence and mismanagement of superior officers. Was paroled on the field, exchanged in the spring of 1863, participated in the Eastern Kentucky campaign and defeat of the rebel Gen. in the Atlanta campaign until the surrender of that city and aided in administering that crushing defeat which Hood sustained at Nashville at the hands of "old Pap" Thomas. At the expiration of his term of service he returned to Lacon, went into the dry goods business in Sparland, where he continued five years and then purchased his present homestead and settled down to bucolic pursuits. August 29, 1865, he married Mary Thompson, a native of this County. They have three children - Georgie M., Jesse M., and Apley T., and one child, Cora E. by a former marriage. Mrs. Fisher is a member of the M. E. Church.

[Source: Record of Olden Times or 50 years on the Prairie, 1880, Page 684 Lacon Township]



Wm. L. Fisher
Mr. Fisher is a carpenter by occupation, living in Varna. He was born in Fulton County, Indiana, April 12, 1843, and came to Marshall County in October. 1849. April 7, 1864 he married Sarah A. Bowers, born in West Virginia in 1847. They have three children,-Alonzo U., born September 22,1866; Mary Medrith, born December 20, 1868; Bertha, born October 5, 1871.
[Source: Record of Olden Times or 50 years on the Prairie, 1880, Page 735 Roberts Township ]

Allen N. Ford


Mr. Ford was born in Thompson County, New York, December 4, 1807, and was brought up on a farm, but was apprenticed to the printing business at an early day, of which he became a thorough master. In 1829 he first saw New York, working there about one year, and then went to Hartford. Ct., going in a sailboat to New Haven, and thence on foot. Here he remained eight years, working steadily at his trade of book and newspaper making. He married here in 1833 Miss Sabrina Loveland, born in Connecticut, and to them four children have been given three of whom survive, viz., Henry A. , one of the leading editors and educators of Michigan; Frank D, a printer; and Willis H, cashier of the First National Bank. In 1837 he came to what is now Lacon, and established the Marshall County Herald, continued today in the Home Journal. For thirty-two yean he continued its publication until 1866, when it passed into the hands of its present owner, after forty years of newspaper work, he retired from the business to spend his days in his pleasant home. Mr. Ford is believed to be the oldest living representative of the press in the State, and the journal he established is the oldest in Central Illinois.

[Source: Record of Olden Times or 50 years on the Prairie, 1880, Page 689-690 Lacon Township - Transcribed by Nancy Piper]


Allen N. Ford, Esq.
Our Marshall County veteran printer and editor, who has been visiting his son Henry A. Ford, Esq., at Detroit, Mich., is notices biographically by a representative of the Detroit Evening News, as follows:
Visiting his son, Capt. H. A. Ford, at No. 631 Cass Avenue, is Allen N. Ford, Esq., of Lacon, Illinois, a printer of nearly 60 years standing, and an editor almost half a century ago. To a representative of The News, Mr. Ford said that he was born near Ithaca, N.Y., then an insignificant village and now the flourishing and picturesque seat of Cornell University, and set his first type in November, 1825, in the office of the Ithaca Chronicle, the second newspaper founded in the place. In those days apprenticeship meant business. He not only filled his hours at the case and press, but made a full hand at chores about the house of his employer and for two days was engaged in riding horseback over a route of 70 miles to deliver the weekly paper in the absence of sufficient mail facilities. This was a severe service, especially during the long and terrible winters of the period.
After the expiration of his term, Mr. Ford took journeywork for a time in the office of Mack & Andrus, Ithaca, who were already engaged in publishing, and issued, among other works, Cobb's famous spelling book, which still holds its own in parts of the country, and is published by their successors. In the summer of 1829 he went to New York and engaged in one of the primitive offices of that time. The original "Harper Brothers," J. and J. Harper, where just making their humble beginnings with a small establishment, in which much of the mechanical labor, particularly the presswork was performed by their own hands. The famous editors of New York were Mordecal M. Noah and James Watson Webb, of whom the latter is still living. Bennett had just begun his larger career as associate editor with Webb upon the Courier and Enquirer and it was six years before the infant Herald had its birth. The gawky boy Greeley did not see the city until two years after Mr. Ford entered it, and Raymond did not go there until 1840. The late Thurlow Weed, however, had already a dozen years' experience with country journals in western New York, and now, just in early prime, was about to found the Albany Evening Journal. Mr. Ford saw him often, but did not personally know him.
Even in New York in 1829 the implements of printing commonly used were exceedingly rude. During his apprenticeship and for several years afterward, Mr. Ford did not see a composition roller. Large pads or balls of buckskin stuffed with wool preceded it and required a number of vigorous strokes upon the form of types before it was fairly inked. The leather roller, of materials like the balls, came in shortly after, and finally the composition roller, substantially as now used. His earlier presswork was done upon the old Franklin or wooden hand press, which required a forward movement of the bed and separate pull for each form, or two for the entire impression. Mr. Well's press, made in Hartford, was the first of the iron presses he used upon which a full imprint could be made at one pull. The only power press then in use in this country, and that found but rarely, was the Adams, with flat bed and platen, which is still in use, and is preferred by some to the cylinder presses for book work. The first Mr. Ford saw were worked by single mule power. Most of his journey work was done as a pressman upon hand presses, making good wages at 20 centers per token of 250 sheets. It seems poor pay, working but a token an hour; yet a thrifty man could save considerable, with good board only $2 per week and clothing similarly cheap.
In August, 1829, Mr. Ford took a sailing vessel for New Haven. He does not remember seeing a steamer of any kind that year at the New York wharves. At the Elm City, during a short engagement, he made an acquaintance which afterwards gave him the opportunity of business with the late Mr. Babcock, long the well-known editor of the New Haven Palladium. At Hartford, whither he went next, he remained some years, and was there married to the venerable lady who is still the partner in his joys and sorrows. The golden wedding was celebrated at their Illinois home but a few weeks ago. The great subscription book business, for which Hartford has since become so celebrated, had not yet begun, but the little city was already the greatest publishing center in the new world, outside of New York and Boston, and yearly turned out large quantities of school and miscellaneous books. The pressman still pulling the sheets for these laboriously upon a hand press at 25 cents an hour, was allowed a sheet from each form, which yielded two copies of the book, one of which he gave the binder for binding his own copy and in this way and otherwise accumulated the nucleus of a valuable library.
In 1835 he succeeded the young poet, John G. Whittler, in the management of the New England Review, a Hartford newspapers, which was consolidated with the Telegraph, and published by Mr. Ford as the Review and Telegraph. Two years afterward an eligible offer induced him to relinquish brilliant prospects in the east for an uncertain future in the wilderness. Had he gone to Chicago, then little more than a hamlet about Fort Dearborn, he could have bought for a son tracts now immensely valuable and have laid the foundation of a great fortune. He went, instead, to Lacon, a village settled but two or three years before on the Illinois River, 30 miles above Peoria, where, by the Atlantic Ocean and the Gulf of New Orleans, and thence by the Mississippi and Illinois Rivers, Mr. Ford in 1837, transported a Wells press and other plant of a small office, some of it of a make so substantial that it is in use to this day.
Meanwhile he, with his little family, pursued a shorter, but still tedious and difficult route by strap railroad and the old Pennsylvania canal, the boats being dragged in sections over the mountains by stationary engines to Pittsburg and thence by western rivers to his new home on the prairies. Between that and Chicago, on the one hand, and Galena on the other, there was not a settlement of importance in Northern Illinois, nor was a newspaper published in that region, save at these places. His chief sustenance for a number of years was derived from the publication of tax lists and other official business in several of the new counties. These were the disastrous days of one of the great financial crisis, and the lists of delinquents for taxes were at times very large. Btu it was "hard sledding," after all, to keep a pioneer newspaper going, and what with the hard work of the business, Mr. Ford carrying all parts of it, often with little help except from a "deyll," and the terrible diseases of that time in the new settlements, it is remarkable that he survived the pressure. He remained at the journalistic helm however with a short interval, until 1866, when he retired with a comfortable competence, still in vigorous health, which he retains even in somewhat advanced age. The veteran and his wife spend a fortnight in town, and then go to attend the golden wedding of a sister, at the old home in Danby, Tompkins County, N.Y.
[Source: The Henry Republican, Henry Illinois, July 19, 1883]

Isaac M. Forbes

transcribed March 2011 by Norma Hass

Isaac M FORBES, general farmer and stock dealer, is one of the best known men in Marshall county, being a man of rare business tact and ability and one of the best judges of stock in the state. Often he is called upon to act as judge of Shorthorn cattle at state fairs and fat stock exhibits, and his judgment in such matters is seldom called in question. He is a native of Hopewell township, Marshall county, born on the farm where he now resides, September 19, 1847, and is a son of Peter and Sarah (BUCKINGHAM) FORBES, the former a native of North Carolina, and the latter of Pennsylvania.

Caleb FORBES, the grandfather of our subject, was of Scotch descent, but reared in North Carolina, where he married Elizabeth LINDSEY, and there reared a family of four children. The family came to Marshall county in 1831, by wagon from North Carolina, and settled upon section 15, Hopewell township. The tract was all timber land, none of which was of recent growth. The Indians and wild animals were numerous at this time. Caleb FORBES was the first settler in Hopewell township, and there lived peacefully with the Indians, never having any trouble from their presence. He improved his far, and there resided for many years, finally, however, retiring from active work and moving to Henry, where he died at the residence of his daughter, at the age of about eighty-three years. His wife also died at about the same age and their bodies were interred in the cemetery on his farm, known as the Forbes cemetery.

For some years after coming to Marshall county, Caleb FORBES operated a horse mill, the first in this locality. It was well patronized by the old settlers for many miles around. In early life he was a member of the Baptist church, but later became a Universalist and died in that faith. He was one of the best read men in scriptures and was well read in the general literature of the day. Of the four children born to Caleb FORBES and wife, William, Courtney Martin, Mrs. Fannie SAWYER and Peter, are all deceased.

Peter FORBES, the father of our subject, was the youngest child of the family, and was twelve years of age when he came with his parents to Marshall county. His education in the schools was very limited, but he was a natural mathematician, and delighted in solving intricate problems. He married Sarah BUCKINGHAM, a native of Greene county, Pennsylvania, born in 1820, and a daughter of Isaac BUCKINGHAM, who was of English descent. Her father removed to Woodford county, Illinois, in 1831, locating near Washburn, where Mrs. FORBES grew to lovely womanhood. After their marriage they settled upon the farm now owned by our subject and lived for some years in a sawed oak timber house. His father gave him eight acres of land, which was then unimproved, and was by him cleared of timber and brought under cultivation. In addition to his farming operations, he traded in stock and was for years one of the foremost men in this locality. In the early day he used to haul wheat to Chicago and sell it there for thirty-seven and a half cents per bushel. He also drove many a herd of cattle to that city, and was a heavy shipper of stock. Success crowned his efforts and at his death he was the possessor of two thousand two hundred and eighty acres of land, the greater part of which was accumulated during the last ten years of his life. He died November 7, 1860, and his estate was valued at about eighty-seven thousand dollars. His wife survived him several years, dying March 9, 1871. They were the parents of ten children, six of whom grew to maturity. Mary Elizabeth, who married John KENNEDY, died, leaving seven children. William, who married Laura MAYES, now lives in Harper county, Kansas, and they have two children. Ruth, now the wife of Irving BROADUS, lives in Lacon, Illinois, and they have five children. Isaac M. is the subject of this sketch. Caleb married Ellen E. GREEN, who died, leaving three children. Sarah Eleanor, now the wife of Samuel M. CROFT, lives in Harper county, Kansas, and is the mother of six children. In politics, Peter FORBES was a democrat, and held many of the township offices, including supervisor. He was a well posted man, and his death was mourned, not alone by his family, but by many friends as well.

The subject of this sketch was born September 19, 1847, on the farm where he now resides. After receiving his primary education in the public schools of Marshall county, he entered Lombard university of Galesburg, Illinois, where he finished his course. From the time he was fourteen years old he handled and traded in stock, and was always successful in that line. After leaving college, he traveled for a year, and subsequently, in 1870, married Miss Fannie M. THORP, a native of Ohio, and daughter of James and Margaret Jane (VANCE) THORP, the former a native of New York, and the latter of Virginia. They were married, however, in Erie county, Ohio, and in 1857 came to Marshall county, Illinois, making their permanent home at Henry, where both subsequently died. They were the parents of seven children, of whom four grew to maturity - James, who married Jane IRWIN, now lives in Jewell county, Kansas; John, who married Elizabeth KLEGG, now resides on a large farm in Livingston county, Illinois; William, who married Margaret FORD, now resides in Peoria, Illinois, and Fannie M. is now Mrs. FORBES.

Mrs. FORBES, who was born March 31, 1851, in Eerie county, Ohio, received her education in the public schools of Henry, Illinois. After her marriage with Mr. FORBES, they settled upon the home place of her husband. But one child came to bless their union - Rankin Caleb, who was born January 4, 1882. For the past fourteen years Mr. FORBES has been engaged in raising thoroughbred stock, especially Shorthorn cattle. At the present time he has a large herd upon his place, comprising upwards of a hundred head and he has made many sales in Chicago and elsewhere. Of his farm of seven hundred acres the greater part of it is used for grazing purposes.

Politically, Mr. FORBES is a democrat, and for years has taken an active part in political affairs in his township and county. He has been road commissioner, assessor and supervisor, serving in the latter office for three years. He has been urged by his friends time and again to make the run as a member of the general assembly, and also for the state senate, but has invariably declined the honor. For some years he has been in partnership with his brother Caleb in the stock business, in which line they have met with the best success. They are both business men of acknowledged ability and thoroughly understand the business in which they are engaged. Few men have the confidence of their fellow-citizens in a greater degree than the FORBES brothers. A daughter of Caleb FORBES, Miss Mabel, is a young lady of great natural ability as an elocutionist, and her rendering of "The Two Portraits" is rarely excelled.

The home of Mr. and Mrs. FORBES is an ideal one, both being highly educated and yet keep up their reading in the standard and current literature of the day.

[Source: The Biographical Record of Bureau, Marshall and Putnam Counties, Illinois, Published in Chicago: The S. J. Clarke Publishing Company. 1896. - Marshall county Biographical extractions pages 100-199 ]

Willis H. Ford


Mr. Ford is at present cashier of the First National Bank of Lacon, a position he has worthily filled for several years. He is a son of Allen N. Ford, the veteran editor, and was born here in 1848. After securing a full course of training in the public schools of his native place he entered Bryant A Stratton's Business College, where he completed his education In 1875 he married Ellen E. Wilson, born in this town, and to them two children have been born, Norman J. and Georgie A. He has been with the First National Bank since 1874.

[Source: Record of Olden Times or 50 years on the Prairie, 1880, Page 689 Lacon Township ]



J. G. Forney
Photographer.
Mr. Forney was born in Putnam County in 1843. He learned his business in Hennepin, and carried on there two years, when he moved to Wenona in 1870, where he has been since. He has facilities to make any size or style of pictures, and his work is unsurpassed. He married Miss M. C. Sunderlin in 1870. She was born in Bursas County, Ill. They have one child-Daisy L. Mrs. Forney is a member of the M. E. Church. He has turned out some of the finest pictures ever made in the place, is fully up with the times, and his prices are always reasonable,
[Source: Record of Olden Times or 50 years on the Prairie, 1880, Page 710 Evans Township - Transcribed by Nancy Piper]

 Greenberry Lafayette Fort


Biographical

Greenberry Lafayette Fort was the son of Benjamin and Margaret Fort, and was born Oct. 11, 1825, in French Grant Sciota county, Ohio, and consequently was 57 years, 8 months and at the time of his demise. In May, 1834, the family became residents of what was known as Round Prairie in this county, induced west by James Dever, a brother of Mrs. Fort, who had located here. Here the father purchased a tract of land, and put it under cultivation assisted by his son Greenberry, then nine years of age.

He became an apt scholar and after completing a district school course finished his school education at Rock River Seminary. As he increased in years he became a prominent young man and took an active part in public affairs. He became an ardent whig and upon the formation of Marshall county was nominated in 1850 for the office of sheriff, to which he was elected, defeating Addison Ramsey. Two years after he was elected county clerk, defeating S. J. McFAdden, democrat. He also held the office of county attorney and county judge.

He was married May 25, 1858 to Miss Clara E. Boal, daughter of the now venerable Dr. Robert Boal of Peoria, but at that time a popular medical practitioner in Marshall county. In 1860 he was admitted to the bar and his first brief was made in the Woodford circuit court, where he appeared for a Dr. Barney, where David Davis was the presiding judge and Abraham Lincoln the opposing counsel.

On April 17, 1861, in the first call for troops, he enlisted as a private, being elected as 1st ieutenant of Co. B., 11th Ill. Vols, mustered in at Springfield April 22d, serving three months. He afterward recruited Co. I. for the three years service and paid $1200 for their transportation to the field, which was never returned to him. He served in the army of the Tennessee on both field and staff duty through all its campaigns, and was chief quartermaster of the 15th army corps of the famous march from "Atlanta to the sea," and until the final surrender of Johnson's army. He participated in the grand military review at Washington, and was ordered with Sheridan's command to Texas, where he was mustered out as colonel at Galveston.

Returning to Lacon he erected the mansion occupied by him up to the time of his death and resumed the practice of law with his partners, J. E. Ong and J. St. Clair Boal. But so popular and able a man was still further needed in the public service. In 1866 he was elected to the Illinois State Senate; was made chairman of the committee on penitentiaries, securing the passage of a law giving convicts credit for good behavior, the same to be deducted from their term of service, which law is still in vogue, a monument to the memory of its noble framer. In 1872 the new eighth congressional district nominated him to the 43d congress, defeating Hon. G. O. Barnes independent. He was re-elected in 1874 over James G. Bayne, Independent, in 1876 over George W. Parker, independent, and in 1878 over C. C. Strawn, greenbacker, and Tom Shaw, democrat, and could have continued longer in congress had he so desired. He was spoken of a candidate for governor of the great state of Illinois in 1880; and also as a senator to succeed Hon. David Davis, but he positively refused to make the canvass for the position, affirming an oft repeated remark that he had retired never to again enter politics.

Colonel Fort had a robust constitution, enjoying the best of health and to all outward appearance might have lived many years yet but for the accident that has cut off his useful, valuable life (Saturday, January 13th, 1883).

He had spent the week in Springfield, in this state in company with F. S. Potter, Esq., of this city. He returned on Friday afternoon (January 12th) in the best of health and spirits. His wife and son had gone to Chicago that morning, hence he did not see them. On Saturday he attempted to exercise and train a young blooded horse, hitching the animal to a sulky in the yard. While engaged with the animal, he attempted to jump or get off the sulky, and in so doing fell and was caught in the reins, and so entangled that he was dragged a considerable distance, some 200 feet, before the horse was stopped. He was picked up in an insensible condition, conveyed to his room and physicians summoned, but nothing could be done for him. He remained unconscious from the time of the accident, about 3:30 o'clock until late in the evening, when the spirit took its flight and Col. Fort was no more. Cerebral hemorrhage is thought to have taken place, causing stupor and death.

Mr. Fort had been a member of the Masonic order from early manhood, being a member of Lacon lodge No. 61, Lacon Chapter No. 42 and of Peoria Commandery of Knight Templars No. 3. In former years he was an Odd Fellow.

It is estimated that he leaves an estate valued at half a million dollars, much of it in farms in Marshall, Woodford and other counties and in Nebraska.

(Source: The Henry Republican, January 18, 1883 - Transcribed by Nancy Piper)



FORT Greenbury L, Minneapolis. Res 1300 West Lake st, office Loan & Trust bldg. Lawyer. Born June 9, 1856 in Marshall county Ill, son of Washington D ad Sarah (Foster) Fort (paternal name anglicized from De la Feurt). Married 1857 to Clara Fortier. Attended district schools; Wesleyan Univ Bloomington Ill; Northwestern Univ Evanston Ill LL B 1882. Taught school in Illinois. Practiced law at Bismarck N D member Fort & Fort 1883-85; in Minneapolis 1886to date. Private 1st lieut and capt D N G Co A 1st Regt; maj and judge advocate 1st Brigade N D N G; member Minneapolis city council 4 years; city assessor of Minneapolis 4 years. Member Masonic order, Royal Arch and Knights Templar.
[Little Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota. Publ. 1907 Transcribed by Anna Parks]
Aaron C. Fosdick and Electa (Allen) Chapman Fosdick
Mr. Fosdick was born in Washington County, New York, February 28, 1808. He moved to Alleghany County in 1830, and came to Marshall County in 1844. His wife was Alice D. Moon, whom he married in 1827. She was a native of New York also. She died February 13, 1873, leaving seven children-Reeny, Levi, Joel, Delphia, Ruth A. (Webster). Alphea M. and Aaron J. His present wife was a Miss Electa Allen - Widow Chapman when he married her. She had four children by her first husband-Samuel, Delia, Sophia and Laura. Mrs. Fosdick was born in Vermont. December 16,1808. She is a member of the Baptist Church. Mr. Fosdick served as postmaster of Steuben from 1851 until it was abolished at his suggestion in 1865, as he declined to hold the unprofitable office longer. He owns 260 acres of land, having sold 160 some time ago, which made his farm, previous to the sale, 420 acres. His property is in a prosperous state of cultivation, with good improvements. He is one of the oldest settlers of the County, respected by all his acquaintance, and is kind, generous and hospitable.
 [Source: Record of Olden Times or 50 years on the Prairie, 1880, - Transcribed by Nancy Piper]



Henry Foster
Mr. Foster was born in Southwick, Mass., in 1827 and moved to Connecticut with his parents when but two years old, where he learned the trade of harness making. In 1854 he came west locating at Palatine, Putnam County, Ill., and the year following removed to Magnolia and established himself in business. He married Elizabeth Squire in 1849, born in Hartford, Conn., and they have three children-James F., Josephine A. and Frank B. In 1864 he moved to Wenona and opened business here. When the war broke out he enlisted in the 77th Regiment III., Volunteers. He was elected police Justice in 1875 and served four years. Is a member of the 1. O. O. F.
[Source: Record of Olden Times or 50 years on the Prairie, 1880, Page 708 Evans Township - Transcribed by Nancy Piper]



Joseph R. Foster
Mr. Foster was born in Burlington County, N. J., in 1810 and moved to Preble County, Ohio, in 1846, and engaged in farming. In 1849 he married Margaret Pelan, a native of England, born in 1823. They have two children, John P. and Mattie A. (Mrs. Wells.) Are members of the M. E. Church. John P. is a member of the I. O. O. F. Mr. Foster owns 160 acres of land under cultivation. John P. married Miss Lovina Clark in 1875, a native of Ohio. She died in August, 1879, leaving one boy, Perley, born in 1876.
[Source: Record of Olden Times or 50 years on the Prairie, 1880, Page 713 Evans Township - Transcribed by Nancy Piper]



A. H. Fowler
Mr. Fowler was born in Worcester County, Mass., in 1832. He came west in 1850, and located in Putnam County, then moved to Buchanan, Iowa, and returned to Illinois in 1857, and located in Wenona He enlisted in Co, H. 104th Ill. Vol., and was promoted to commissary sergeant in 1862, and served to the close of the war. He made the march with Sherman to the sea, mustered out in Chicago, and returned to Wenona in 1865, when he commenced his present business. He married Sarah K. Mulkins in 1865. She was born in Otsego County, NY. They have three children-Emma S., Orie E. and Pauline E. He has been in the grain business since 1865. His place is at Garfield. LaSalle County, where he has an elevator of 25,000 bushels capacity, and one in Wenona of 15,000 capacity He handles 200 000 bushels annually, and likewise deals in coal.
[Source: Record of Olden Times or 50 years on the Prairie, 1880, Page 714 Evans Township - Transcribed by Nancy Piper]



Daniel Fowler
Mr. Fowler was born in Butler County Ohio, in 1831 and located in this County in 1852. He married Miss Lucy A. McWhinney February 27, 1855. She was born in the same County in Ohio. They have four children - James E" Alice, William and Frederick. They are members of the Baptist Church. He is collector of his Township. He was one of Illinois' gallant soldiers, with the scars of battle on his person, and will carry them to his grave He enlisted in Co, D, 77th Il1 Vol. Inf., in 1862, and served actively until wounded at the battle of Arkansas Post, January 11, 1863. He then went to the hospital, and when convalescent was transferred to the Invalid Corps at St. Louis, where he remained until 1865, when he was mustered out at St. Louis. He is pleasant sociable, gentle, kind and hospitable, a loving husband, kind father and a good neighbor, as he was a faithful soldier of his country.
[Source: Record of Olden Times or 50 years on the Prairie, 1880, Page 731-732 Hopewell Township - Transcribed by Nancy Piper]



E. S. Fowler
Mr. Fowler is a native of Massachusetts, and was born in 1821. He emigrated west in 1850 and located in Hennepin, after which he went to Caledonia. He remained here a short time and came to Wenona, engaging in the grain business, following it until 1859, when he opened up a stock of dry goods and has been in the trade ever since, transacting a large and successful business. He married Miss E. A. Knowles in 1865, born in Ohio, and to them three children have been born-Henry K., born in 1866, Paul, in 1868, and Georgie in 1872. When he came to Wenona and engaged in the grain trade he lived with his brother. Mr. Fowler understands his business and keeps it well in hand. He is one of the most prosperous men in the County,
[Source: Record of Olden Times or 50 years on the Prairie, 1880, Page 709 Evans Township - Transcribed by Nancy Piper]



Richard B. Frary and Catherine J. (Lowman) Frary
Mr. Frary was born in Steuben County, New York, in 1817, and moved with his parents to Cuyahoga County, Ohio, at the age of nine years. In 1838 he went to Peckatonica, Ill., lived there about eighteen mouths, and returned to Ohio. Again in 1841, moved to Illinois, locating in Peoria County, where he staid four years. From here he moved to Green County, and remained four years, returned to Peoria, and after two years sojourn in that County, located in Marshall in 1850. He married Miss Catherine J. Lowman in 1852, born in Indiana County, Pa., March 7, 1823. They have four children-Rebecca J., Merritt, Sarah W., James N., and two deceased. Mrs. F. and Rebecca are members of the U. P. Church. He owns 180 acres of land. Mrs. Frary is a daughter of Andrew and Nancy Lowman. Her mother's maiden name was Hindman, also a native of Pennsylvania. Mr. Lowman died at 86 in Pennsylvania. Mr. Frary is a son of John and Rebecca Frary, his grandfather was a William Hendricks, which is as far back as he can trace his family: and his grandmother's name was Ball. He has in his possession an old Queen Ann gun over 200 years old, brought from England by some of the early emigrants, The barrel is about eight feet long, is in a perfect state of preservation, and will kill a deer at eighty rods-will carry either ball or shot, Mr. Frary is a practical inventor, having invented the only gang plow extant-really practical, which he expects soon to begin manufacturing.
[Source: Record of Olden Times or 50 years on the Prairie, 1880, Page 744-745 La Prairie Township - Transcribed by Nancy Piper]



Loton Frisby
Mr. Frisby is an old and wealthy farmer, who has lived In the County since 1835. He was born in Rutland County, Vt., in 1806, and moved to Chautauqua County, New York, in 1833. He married Rhoda Mallory in 1827, born in Vermont, who became the mother of eight children, five of whom survive and three are dead. The living are Amanda, Hiram, Eliza, Henry and Elvira. Mr. Frisby owns 185 acres of excellent land, and has laid by a goodly sum to make his old age comfortable. Himself and wife have toiled long and well, and their days have been long in the land. They still live in the homo they made in younger days, and can view the future with hope and the past without regret.
[Source: Record of Olden Times or 50 years on the Prairie, 1880, Page 706 Henry Township - Transcribed by Nancy Piper]
 

Back to Marshall County Illinois History and Genealogy


Back to Illinois Trails Main Page