William V. Morrow
William V. Morrow, Who is engaged in the transfer business and carrying the mail in La Rose, Illinois, is a native of the buckeye state, his birth occurring in Jackson County, July 28, 1847. His father, Abraham Morrow, was born in Washington County, Pennsylvania, of scotch-Irish ancestry, the great-grandfather of our subject coming over to this country from the north of Ireland at an early day and settling in Pennsylvania, of which state John Morrow, the Grandfather was a native. The mother of our subject, who bore the maiden name of Mary Meredith, was a native of Guernsey County, Ohio, and a daughter of George Meredith, whose father had come to the new world from Wales in Colonial Days, and was an officer in the American Army in both the Revolution and the War of 1812. The Maternal grandmother of our subject is also of Irish parentage.
When a small boy, William V. Morrow was taken by his parents to Guernsey County, Ohio, and in August 1863 accompanied them to Richland county, Illinois. During the dark days of the Rebellion he manifested his loyalty and patriotism by three times enlisting in the union army, but was twice rejected on account of his age. He finally was accepted, but the war ended before his company was fully made up.
In November, 1864, he came to La Rose, Illinois, and has since engaged in his present business. On the 18th of July, 1866, Mr. Morrow led to the alter Miss Martha A Perry, a daughter of William Perry, of Washburn, Illinois, who at an early day came from Kentucky and settled in Marshall county, Illinois. Four children have been born of this union, namely: Frank, who died at the age of twenty years; Fred; Minnie, now the wife of John Kerrick, of Libertyville, Iowa; and Elta, wife of Ora Spangler, of Belle Plain Township, by whom she has one son Lester.
Mr. Morrow has served his fellow citizens in various official positions, including those of school director and highway commissioner, which he filled for several years; for sixteen years has been justice of the peace, and county coroner since 1892. He is prompt and faithful in the discharge of every duty whether public or private, and has proved a most popular and capable officer. Fraternally he affiliates with the Modern Woodmen of America and Knights of Pythias, and religiously he and his excellent wife are earnest members of the Presbyterian Church. They are widely and favorably known throughout this section of the county, and enjoy the friendship of a wide circle of acquaintances.
Taken From "The Biographical Record of Bureau,
Marshall, and Putnam Counties Illinois" Published in Chicago by The S. J.
Clarke Publishing Company. 1896.
(Courtesy Barb Darling)
James B. Martin
Mr. Martin, president of the First National Bank of Lacon, was born in Wayne county, Ill., in 1824. His life demonstrates how a poor boy achieved wealth and distinction solely through his education such as could be picked up in the poorest country schools. For several years he followed breaking prairie, and with the first money earned entered some land which he sold at an advance, and then entered more. His investments were carefully made and uniformly successful. He opened a good farm in Bennington township which he sold in 1857, and coming to Lacon embarked in the livery business and went to loaning money. In 1849 he married Minerva Hedrick, who died in 1857, leaving three children - Frank, Lizzie and Clara. In 1858 he was married to Ann J. Norris, by whom he has five sons and daughters - Herbert, Edwin C., Ada L., Florence and Chester H. Hw as one of the organizers of the First National Bank, and has held various offices of trust in city and township. . -
Record of Olden Times or 50 years on the Prairie, 1880, Page 681 Lacon Township - Transcribed by Nancy Piper
SAMUEL W. McCULLOCH
Among the men whose depth of character and fidelity to duty, combined with business ability and enterprise, have commanded for them the respect of their fellowmen and won for them prominence and success in business circles, is numbered Samuel W. McCulloch, president of the Marshall County Bank at Varna. His life record began in Cumberland County, Pennsylvania, on the 29th of August, 1846. His father, Robert C. McCulloch, was a native of the Keystone state and a farmer by occupation. He lived to the venerable age of eighty-four years, passing away in 1905, while his wife, who bore the maiden name of Rebecca Woodburn and was also a native of Pennsylvania, died in 1900. In their family were two sons and two daughters: Samuel W.; John C., who is engaged in the furniture business in West Plains, Missouri; Mary E., the wife of J. E. Barnes, of Washburn, Woodford county; and Laura, who is living in Washburn.
Samuel W. McCulloch spent the first ten years of his life in the county of his nativity, during which time he began his education in the district schools there. He then accompanied his parents on their removal to Illinois,' the family home being established in Richland township, Marshall county, near Washburn, where the father purchased land and improved a farm. Samuel W. McCulloch continued his education in the schools of Washburn, from which he was graduated, and then entered Monmouth College at the age of sixteen years. He left that institution to enlist in the Union army in 1864, when but seventeen years of age, joining the boys in blue of Company C, Seventy-seventh Illinois Infantry. His company went through Kentucky and did duty at Vicksburg and in Louisiana and Alabama. He was in active service continuously from the time when he joined the army until mustered out at the close of the war, and displayed valor equal to many a veteran of twice his years.
Following his return home Mr. McCulloch was engaged in teaching school in Washburn for several years, after which he became connected with the grain business at that place for six or seven years. In connection with his father he built a large elevator at Washburn, and subsequent to his connection with the grain trade spent a few years in a bank at Washburn. In 1885 he removed to Varna and established the Marshall County Bank, a private institution, of which he is the president, while his son Ralph is the cashier. This enterprise has proven of value to the community, facilitating the transaction of business and at the same time has been a source of gratifying revenue to the owners.
In 1867 Mr. McCulloch was married to Miss Alice Clark, a daughter of William Clark, a resident farmer of Marshall county. She was born in Pennsylvania, and by her marriage has become the mother of four children. William C., who is engaged in the dry goods business in Eureka, Illinois, married Hattie Spangler and has two daughters. Robert W., a railroad official, who died at Varna, Illinois, October 17, 1906, lived in southern California, wedded Ella Holstrom and had one daughter. Frank C., who was engaged in the lumber business in California, and married Gail Broaddus. Ralph married Mary L. Lord, at Varna, October ?1, 1906, and is the cashier of the bank in Varna. This is one of the old financial institutions of the county, having been founded by Louis Linebarger in 1883, becoming the property of Mr. McCulloch in 1885. He is also engaged in the insurance business and has valuable real estate and farming interests. A man of resourceful business ability, he is never taken by surprise, but is always alert and enterprising, carefully controlling the interests which are under his supervision and enlarging the scope of his activities from time to time.
Mr. McCulloch holds membership in Highland lodge, No. 324, K. P., of Varna, of which he is now past chancellor, and he belongs to Varna camp, No. 155, M. W. A., in which he has filled all of the chairs. He is likewise a member of the Grand Army of the Republic and of the Methodist church, in the work of which he" takes a very active and helpful part, serving at the present.
[Source: Past and Present of Putnam and Marshall Counties, John Spencer Burt and W. E. Hawthorne, Page 340-341]
The Biographical Record of Bureau, Marshall and Putnam Counties, Illinois, Published in Chicago: The S. J. Clarke Publishing Company. 1896. - Marshall county Biographical extractions pages 100-199
Transcribed March 2011 by Norma Hass
David MOORE. No country affords greater opportunity to the poor man than our own; it is, indeed, the poor man's country. Here an industrious, frugal man has a chance to accumulate wealth. Many fail to do so, but the best of our population lay by some of their earnings and soon find themselves in possession of a handsome property. Among them is the gentleman whose name heads this article, and who is now living a retired life in Wenona.
His parents, David and Mary (BROWN) MOORE, were born, reared and married in New Jersey, and about 1815 removed to Ohio, settling in Waynesville, where the father worked at his trade of a tailor for four years. He then located on a farm in Preble county, that state, in the midst of the forest, which he at once began to clear and improve, and there made his home until 1855. In that year he came to Illinois to live with his son, and there made his home until his death, at the age of ninety-eight years. His wife passed away in Ohio at the age of fifty-seven years. In their family were five children: Samuel, deceased; David, of this review; Nathaniel, of Chicago; Mrs. May LINTNER, deceased, and Sarah Bell, also deceased.
Our subject was born November 15, 1813, in Gloucester county, New Jersey, but was reared upon a farm in Ohio until seventeen years of age, when he began learning the trade of a shoemaker, which he followed for about fifteen years. In Ohio, on the 17th of March, 1836, he married Miss Ann BORADAIL, also a native of New Jersey, and they became the parents of five children: Rebecca, the oldest, is deceased; Arthur, who became sergeant in the Light Artillery under Captain Vaughn, died near Bolivar, Tennessee, March 7, 1863; Mary Elizabeth, deceased, was the wife of George G. McADAM, by whom she had three children, Ulysses, Arthur and William; Martha Sarah and Anna are also deceased.
After his marriage, Mr. MOORE continued to engage in shoemaking, and in connection with his brother also conducted a store in Israel township, Preble county, Ohio, for four years, after which he removed to Kokomo, Indiana, and started a grocery and bakery. He also had a slaughter house and steam sawmill at that place, but most of his property was later destroyed by fire, leaving him in limited circumstances. He next removed to a farm near Fairfield, in Howard county, Indiana, which he operated three years, and in 1857 came to Illinois, locating upon a partially improved farm in Evans township, Marshall county, where he made his home until 1865. he then purchased a farm on Sandy creek, which he continued to improve and cultivate until 1891, when his wife died, and he removed to a farm adjoining that place, which he bought of his brother. In 1894, however, he came to Wenona, where he now finds a pleasant home.
On the 14th of August of that year, Mr. MOORE was united in marriage with Mrs. Carrie LEZEAR, who was born January 27, 1828, in Tyler county, West Virginia, and is a daughter of James C. and Sarah L. (MUSSER) WILLIAMSON, the former a native of Wellsburg, Pennsylvania, and the latter of Lancaster, the same state. Her parents both belonged to old Pennsylvania families, were married in that state and later removed to West Virginia, where they made their permanent home and there died. The father, who was educated at Wellsburg, Pennsylvania, became a physician, but later devoted most of his time to agricultural pursuits. His father had served as a soldier in the Revolutionary war.
Mrs. MOORE is one of a family of twelve children, who, in order of birth, are as follows: John M., Alex and James, all deceased; William and Elbert, twins, the latter of whom is deceased; Theodore A., who lives in Sardis, Ohio; Eliza Jane, deceased; Adeline, who is a widow of Samuel COX and lives in Sistersville, West Virginia; Theodosia, deceased; Mrs. MOORE, Philip Dodridge, deceased, and Henry R., who also lives in Sistersville. One son, John M., was a soldier in the civil war, Mrs. MOORE was educated in West Virginia, and on reaching womanhood married Frank LAZEAR, by whom she had four children, James, Elbert, Leroy and Eliza Jane. The father of these children is now deceased.
Mr. MOORE still owns three hundred and thirty-one acres in Evans township, eighty acres in Bolivar county, Missouri, two houses and lots in Wenona and one-third interest in forty-five lots in Streator, Illinois, all of which property has been gained through his own individual efforts, although he received some assistance form his father, but he has given away more than he ever received. In politics he is a stanch republican, and religiously is a member of the Society of Friends, while his wife has for forty-five years been an active member of the Methodist church.
John MONIER, deceased, was for many years the leading farmer in Marshall county, and had a very wide and extensive acquaintance. He was born on the Isle of Man September 7, 18 26, and was the son of William and Jane (QUAILE) MONIER, also natives of the Isle of Man, but of French descent, the great-great-grandfather of John being a native of France. He grew to manhood in his native country, and in 1849 came to the United States with the family and located in Peoria county, Illinois. At that time he was twenty-three years of age, and was entitled to all the legal rights of man, but did not choose to exercise his rights. His parents were getting along in years and were not well provided for as respects this world's goods. Until such was the case he could not think of self. With his younger brother, William, he hired out by the month, and saving their wages they purchased eighty acres of partially improved land, on which was a small house, and into which the family moved and continued to live six years. In 1857 they sold out and went to Saratoga township, Marshall county, where they bought a tract of land, and all continued to work together for a few years, when the children began to leave the family home and go out one by one to carve their own destinies. John, however, remained upon the homestead, and there continued to make his home until his death. Both parents died upon the place when past eighty years of age.
After living a bachelor's life for nearly thirty-five years, John MONIER, in June, 1861, married Miss Ellen FARRELL, a native of Ireland, by whom he had four children, Jennie, now the wife of David HOSFIELD, of Whitefield township; Anna, who died at the age of twenty-two years; John, who married Mollie HARNEY and now resides near Geneseo, Henry county, Illinois, and Catherine, who makes her home with her sister Jennie. The mother of these children died in 1870.
Three years after the death of his first wife, Mr. MONIER was united in marriage with Miss Janet BELL, the wedding ceremony taking place at the home of the bride's parents, Richard and Margaret BELL, of La Prairie township, March 12, 1873. Mrs. MONIER was born in Roxburghshire, Scotland, of which country her parents were also natives. They are now living in Cass county, Iowa, and Mrs. MONIER is the only on e of her family remaining in Illinois. She is a relative of the DAVIDSONs, who were among the first of her nationality to settle in Marshall county. Six children came to bless this union, Margaret, now the wife of Charles ROBERTS, of Champaign, Illinois; William, at home; Vivian, a student in the State university at Champaign; Sarah, attending the high school at Henry, and James and Harry Hammond, at home.
As already stated, Mr. MONIER made his home upon the farm purchased on coming to Marshall county. A man of great energy and of thrifty habits, from time to time, as his means increased, he added to his possessions until he became one of the largest real estate owners in Marshall county, owning the home farm, which had been increased from eighty to eight hundred and eighty acres in extent, with four sets of improvements, two farms of one hundred and sixty acres each, in Steuben and Whitefield townships, together with one thousand six hundred acres in Texas, near the Santa Fe railroad. As a farmer he was a success in every particular, giving his personal attention to every detail of farm work. Not a thing about the place escaped his watchful eye, and he knew the whereabouts of every farm implement which he owned, and of all the numerous stock which he owned and fed. For years he was an extensive cattle feeder, and was very successful in his branch of business, and it is said that he raised the best hogs in Marshall county. His various farms were all well improved and adapted to the purposes to which they were applied.
While by nature conservative, he did not hesitate to adopt and make use of every labor-saving appliance that seemed to insure success. A farmer, he was content to work his farm and allow others to look after such interests as lay outside of his chosen calling. A democrat in his political belief, he respected the views and opinions of others, and never sought nor would he accept official position. While not a member of any church, he had great respect for the Christian religion, and usually attended services at the Methodist Episcopal church.
Until within a few years of his death, Mr. MONIER gave personal attention to his farm interests, but as age advanced he mainly rented his land, only giving such time and attention to his various farms as to see they were pro0perly kept up and conducted. His death occurred June 16, 1890, and his body was laid to rest in the Methodist Episcopal cemetery in Saratoga township. He was naturally a strong, vigorous man, fine looking, with full brown beard and gray eyes. Few men were better known and none more highly respected in his section of the country. A kind, loving husband and indulgent father, his memory is cherished by family and friends and none will ever forget the one now gone before, whose life of ceaseless toil was spent for the good of humanity and to give happiness to others.
In October, 1891, Mrs. MONIER left the farm and removed to Henry, where she has a very neat and comfortable home, and where she can enjoy life with ease, surrounded by her family and friends. She is a woman of great natural ability, one who thoroughly understands her business, and well posted on the affairs of the day. With a warm heart, ever open to hear the cries of the unfortunate ones of earth she makes her life a blessing to many, and while unostentatious in all things, it may be said of her as of one of old, "She hath done what she could."
[Source: The Biographical Record of Bureau, Marshall and Putnam Counties, Illinois, Published in Chicago: The S. J. Clarke Publishing Company. 1896., Marshall county biographical extractions through page 100, transcribed March 2011 by Norma Hass.]