The first Methodist preaching was by Rev. William Royal, at the cabin of Mrs. Bland, in 1831.
In 1832 Rev. Jesse Hale was pastor of Pekin Circuit. He preached at the cabin of Mr. James Dever, and also at that of Mr. Timothy Owens, on Crow Creek, near the mill built by himself and his brother Roderic. .
Rev. Zadoc Hall followed in 1833, on the same charge. He organized the first society, consisting of Mrs. Mary Dever, Mrs. Nancy Bird (formerly Bland), Mrs. Nancy Dever, John Dever, Robert Barnes, Julia Burnes, William Gallaher and Emily Gallaher. The first three were received by letter ; the others on probation. Robert Barnes was appointed class leader, which position he filled many years. .
In 1832 or '33 Mr. James Dever organized the first Sabbath school within the limits of Marshall County. It was a union school, supplied with union hooks. Uncle Robert Bird, a member of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church, the only praying man at the time, was acting Superintendent.
Under Rev. Hall's administration Mr. Timothy Owen and wife were converted, and with Roderic Owen and wife, who were members before, united with the class on Round Prairie.
When Mr. John Dever's double cabin was built, the services were generally held in it, until the erection of .a school house on the farm of Timothy Owen, in 1844. Here preaching was held for several years, until the erection of Phelps Chapel, in 1852-3. The subscription paper for the church is dated March, 1851.
The following were the Trustees: Timothy Owen, John A. Keedy, James Thompson, Martin Hoover, Abram Keedy, John Wilson and Robert Barnes. Of these Timothy Owen, J. A. Keedy and Martin Hoover still survive.
Samuel Henthorn, Arcene Pichereau and H. B. Barnes were constituted the building committee, The land-two acres, was donated by Mr. James Thompson. Mr. Samuel Wilson, of Lacon, built the church.
The house was used before fully completed. It was finally finished and dedicated September 6, 1853. Rev. J. W. Flowers preached the dedicatory sermon. At the suggestion of Rev. Zadoc Hall, the pastor, it was called Phelp's Chapel, after the distinguished Asahel E. Phelps.
In the fall of 1856, under the pastorate of Rev. John Grundy, a parsonage was commenced on the same lot as the church. It was completed and fully paid for under the administration of Rev. A. C. Price.
The following Methodist ministers have preached in the Township:
Jesse Hale in 1832;
Zadoc Hall and John McHenry in 1833;
Joel Arrington and Charles Parker in 1834;
Asahel E. Phelps and Joel Arrington in 1835;
Asahel E. Phelps and John McMurtry in 1836;
William Cundeff in 1837; Z. Hall in 1838;
Daniel Blackwell in 1839;
David Dickenson in 1840; C.
Atkinson and J. B. Houts in 1841;
J. C. Pinckard in 1842;
John Grady in 1843;
J. F. Devore in 1844;
Francis Smith in 1845;
C. Babcock and T. F. Royal in 1846;
W. C. Cumming in 1847-8, assisted by A. D. Field in 1848;
B. C. Swartz in 1849;
L. R .. Ellis in 1850-51;
Zadoc Hall in 1852-53;
W. C. Cumming in 1854;
John Grundy in 1855-6;
A. C. Price in 1857-8;
W. A. Presson and H. M. Cornell in 1859;
B. P: Wheat in 1860;
W. J. Stubbles ill 1861;
G. M. Irwin in 1862, and six months of 1863;
J. W. Haney balance of 1863 and 1864;
F. R. Burgess In 1865-6;
A. K. Tullis in 1867-8-9;
G. B. Snedaker in 1870-1-2;
S. P. Alford in 1873-4;
W. P. Graves in 1875;
J. W. Denning in 1876-7;
A. J. Jones in 1878; and
G. W. Burns in 1879, the present pastor of Phelp's Chapel.
[Source: Record of Olden Times or 50 Years on the Prairie by Spencer Ellsworth, 1880, Pages 473-475, Contributed by Nancy Piper]
|J. Thompson||$20.00||R. M. Carrithers||$2.50|
|Mary F. Dever||$5.00||Mrs. Remley & Emma||$5.00|
|J. Dever||$5.00||Mrs. Hull||$5.00|
|A D R||$5.00||Mary A. Ramsey||$5.00|
|J. W. Iliff||$20.00||Wm. J. Ramsey||$5.00|
|J. O. Ramp||$5.00||Ora C. Hickman||$1.00|
|E. W. Kunkle||$1.00||Mr. Remley||$5.00|
|Wm O. Kunkle||$1.00||J. Owen||$1.00|
|Wm. Dennis||$1.00||Alvin Henry||$1.00|
|W. ? Kunkle||$5.00||Corrie Held||$1.00|
|G. W. Kunkle||$1.00||Ms. McNut Ansky||$2.00|
|J. D. Holland||$5.00||Horace S. Ramp||$1.00|
|Sam Buck||$5.00||W. J. Tool||$20.00|
|Geo. Ramley Jr.||$5.00||Luella Crank||$1.00|
|Wm Moen||$1.00||Frank N. Rood||$5.00|
|S. Welty||$10.00||Robert Dennis||$2.00|
|N. Stroup||$1.00||Willis Gertie||$2.00|
|L. Kunkle||$1.00||Mrs. A. Snowdon||$10.00|
|Wesley Myers||$1.00||W. H. Gray||$15.00|
|Jas. Crank||$1.00||Wm. Dennis, Sen.||$1.00|
|Clara Crank||$1.00||Mrs. Carithers||$2.00|
|J. P. Arrive||$1.00||Bell Barnes||$5.00|
Back to Marshall County Illinois History and Genealogy