Nathaniel S. Haynes, History of the Disciples in Illinois 1819-1914, pages 320 - 321|
The Restoration Movement in Illinois: Mason County
The following is furnished by Min. R. E. Henry, pastor of the Havana Church:
"The next church organized in the county some years after the one at Quiver was at Bath, which is still in fair condition.
"Some thirty-five years ago the church at Mason City was organized and is one of the strong religious forces in the eastern part of the county for righteousness. They have only recently built a fine house of worship.
"The work in Havana was organized about fifteen years ago by the State Missionary Society under the leadership of J. Fred Jones. Before the church was organized, G. M. Goode and J. B. Dabney held a meeting, finding twenty-six who had fellowship with the church elsewhere and ready to organize. Twelve years ago a building was purchased from the Dutch Reformed Church and rededicated by J. Gilliland. The first few years the church was supplied by students from Eureka among whom for three years was Joseph Serena. During the pastorate of Louis O. Lehman the work was organized at Topeka and Kilbourne. The work at the former place has been discontinued, while at the latter place a good half-time work is maintained with a Bible school.
"There is also an organization of Disciples at Pleasant Plains and a work is maintained as a union church with the Baptists."
In later years Min. J. M. Haughey gave this county excellent service, often walking to his appointments.
Contributed by Sara Hemp