WILLIAM P. CARTER
W.P. CARTER, proprietor of a livery, feed and sale stable at Metropolis, Massac County,is a son of WILLIAM CARTER, who was a saddler by trade and came from Tennessee. The latter was married in that State to MARY A. LAWLER, also a native of Tennessee. They both died there when the subject of this sketch was a small boy. They left three children, viz: JAMES M., now living in Kentucky; WILLIAM P., and JOSEPH B., of Memphis, Tenn. WILLIAM P. was born in Tennessee and was for the most part brought up on a farm. He, however, received a fair education in the common schools, but was obliged early in life, on account of the death of his parents, to make his own way in the world. When fifteen years old, he commenced as a clerk in a grocery in Tennessee, remaining thus engaged four years. Being a bright boy and quick, obliging and an accurate observer, he made considerable progress in learning the practical part of the business. He then removed to Paducah, KY., remained one and one- half years, and then went to Williamson County, Ill., where he was engaged in farming three years. Here he was married,November 29, 1874,to MARTHA HILL, a native of Williamson County. After her death he married, in 1888, MINTA SMITH, a native of Tennessee, whose parents removed from that State to Williamson County and continued in their previous occupation, that of farming and raising stock. Mr. SMITH was quite largely engaged in buying and selling cattle, horses and mules, and was a very successful trader in that line. Mr. CARTER removed to Vienna, Johnson County, in January 1890, bought an interest in a livery business, and remained there two years, when he removed to Metropolis, having in the meantime in Vienna built up a good business and erected a substantial brick livery, which he traded for a farm. This farm upon his removal to Metropolis he sold to Dr. MCCALL. In Metropolis he bought a lot advantageously situated for his business and erected the barn which he now occupies with T.A. BIVINS as partner. This firm owns good stock and is receiving its share of the trade of the city and vicinity. By his first wife, Mr. CARTER had seven children, viz: LYDIA, THOMAS, HERBERT, MYRON, ERNEST, NANNIE and MAMIE, all of whom are at home. By his second wife he has one child, WILLIE, at home. Politically, Mr. CARTER is a Democrat, and he is also an Odd Fellow. He is one of the self-made men of southern Illinois. What he has accumulated has been without assistance and by his own industry and good management.
Transcribed and submitted by Linda Overby-Hedge, who adds: "This William P. Carter was the son of William D. Carter and Mary Ann Lawler (Mary Ann Lawler/Carter is the daughter of Martin Lawler read last will and testament ) William P. Carter was born February 28, 1854 in Weakley County, Tennessee and died March 13, 1936 in Calloway County, Kentucky. William P. Carter's brother James Martin Carter was my GGGrandfather, he was born December 26, 1851 in Weakley Tennessee and died April 22, 1934 in Calloway County, Kentucky . William P. Carter and James Martin Carter had a brother Joseph B. Carter born June 6, 1857 and died February 12, 1940. They were raised by their grandmother Nancy A. (Davis) Lawler and their Aunts there in Weakley County, Tennessee" [Source: The Biographical Review of Johnson, Massac, Pope and Hardin Counties, Illinois, Biographical Publishing Co., Chicago, 1893; pages 494 & 495]
HON. PLEASANT THOMAS CHAPMAN
SENATOR FIFTY-FIRST DISTRICT
Senator P.T. Chapman's father, grandfather and great grandfather was successively named Daniel. The two latter came to Bloomfield township, Johnson county, from New York, their native state, in 1818. His great grandfather was a Revolutionary solider. His father was born in Johnson county in July, 1828, and married Miss Mary E., daughter of Pleasant Rose, of Johnson county. She was born in 1837, and still lives in Illinois. The Chapman family is one of the oldest in the county. Daniel C. Chapman, the senator's father, died Sept. 8, 1888, and three generations sleep in one township in Johnson county. The father was an extensive farmer, politically he was a republican, and was three times elected sheriff of Johnson county. Pleasant T. Chapman was born on a farm eight miles from Vienna, Oct. 8, 1854. He attended the rural schools and graduated in the classical course of McKendree college, Lebanon, Ill., June, 1876, and taught school, served five years as county superintendent of schools of Johnson county, Illinois, studied law and was admitted to the bar in 1878, served two terms as county judge of Johnson county, was twice a member of the republican state central committee, was alternate delegate at large to the republican national convention in 1896 from Illinois, was elected state senator from the 51st senatorial district in 1890, and was re-elected in 1894 and 1898. He is an ardent republican and has a strong hold on the affairs of his party. In the Senate he wields a decided influence, being chairman of the appropriation committee in the 41st general assembly, the most important committee in the senate. He is an extensive farmer and stock raiser, merchant and banker. Is president of the Vienna Mercantile Company, President of the Vienna Lumber Co., and president of the First National bank of Vienna, which he built up from a private bank. He is vice president of the bank of Jonesboro, Ill., and the bank of Anna, Anna, Ill. Religiously Mr. Chapman is a Methodist and fraternally a Mason, being a member of lodge No. 150, Vienna chapter No. 60, Vienna, and Gethsemane commandery No. 63, Metropolis, Ill. He is also district deputy grand master of the thirtieth Masonic district, and is serving his fourth term in that office. December 20th, 1881, he was married to Miss May Copeland. She was born in Pulaski county, Ill. They have three children, a son, Daniel Ward, 17 years old. A daughter, Marion, 11 years old, and a younger son, Dwyer Clinton, 7 years old. Mrs. Chapman is a member of the Eastern Star, and has enjoyed the distinction of being grand matron of Illinois for 1899. They have an elegant home in Vienna and are among the most influential families in southern Illinois.[History of Massac County, Illinois, by O.J. Page, 1900 - Tr. by K.M.]
There are turning points in every man's life called opportunity. Taken advantages of them mean ultimate success, and the career of J. Cohen the extensive clothing and gent's furnisher of Upper Market street is a striking illustration of the latter statement. Mr. Cohen was born in the old country and came to America with his parents, when he was only five years old locating in New York City. He attended the schools in that city and acquired his education. He then began to learn merchandise business and after being in various cities located in Metropolis in March 1909, establishing his present store which in completeness in every detail cannot be surpassed in any town in this part of Illinois. As stated above, Mr. Cohen deals extensively in Clothing, Shoes and Dry goods. He specializes on the Endicot-Johnson Shoes, Rice & Hutchins Shoes, Carson, Pierre, Scott Dry Goods, Meyer, Wise & Karher Ladies furnishings and other high-class leaders. Have you ever been in Mr. Cohen's big store? If not then let us advise you to drop in some time and take a look. You'll actually be surprised because he is now selling dry goods, clothing and shoes at prices that will astonish you. Mr. Cohen is an affable courteous gentleman and a strong booster for Metropolis. He was united in marriage in 1900 to Miss Temmie Newman an accomplished young lady of Evansville, Indiana. To this happy union were born four children as follows: Freda, Jesse, Florence and Louis ranging in ages, 14, 12, 10 and 5. All are living and if there is a happy family in Massac County, it is up at J. Cohen's. The genial father is a member of the A.F. & A.M. and holds membership in Owensboro Lodge No. 120, of Owensboro, Ky. He is also a member of the Jewish Synagogue and is in every way an honorable citizen. Mr. Cohen is also a strong believer in Metropolis. He realizes that there is a bright future in store for this city and he also realizes that this big issue of the Journal-Republican will be of material benefit toward boosting the city, hence his co-operation with us in its publication. [Unknown source; Submitted by N.J.Huss]
ALBERT RANDOLPH COOK
Pastor Christian Church
The subject of this sketch was born Jan. 8th, 1874, in a one-window cabin in Crawford county, Ohio, the son of Johns S. Cook, a local United Brethren minister, and Caroline Cook, the daughter of John Rasey, an early settler among the Wyandot Indians. His mother died when he was five days old. Of his father's ancestors he knows nothing. His mother's people are quite numerous in Northwestern Ohio. Young Albert attended the common schools of his native county until his eleventh year, when his father moved to Carroll county, Tenn., where he enjoyed the same privilege. At eighteen he entered the High School, Cato, N.Y., graduating in 1892, in which year he entered Hiram College, better known as "Garfield's School," Hiram, Ohio. He remained two years, completing three years' worth work and also preaching as he had done since his nineteenth year. He is now actively engaged in the ministry. He was pastor of the Christian Church at Rolla, Mo., and also Richland, Mo. At McLeansboro, Ill., his next charge, he made many friends and succeeded. Although only twenty-six he is on his second year as pastor of the Christian church at Metropolis, Ill., and meeting with abundant success. Being a close student and having extensively traveled he is original, forceful, fluent and instructive in his discourses. We predict for him a bright future. December 12th, 1899, he married Miss Anna L. Mason, of McLeansboro, Ill., who no doubt will prove an efficient helpmeet to the brilliant young divine, and author of the chapter on the History of the Christian church in Massac county, found in this volume, and is the candidate of the Prohibition party for the Legislature in the Fifty-first Senatorial District this year.[History of Massac County, Illinois, by O.J. Page, 1900 - Tr. by K.M.]
J. C. Cooley, veterinary surgeon and proprietor of the livery, feed and sale stable on Sixth Street, Metropolis, is a son of Edmund C. Cooley, who came to this county in 1869 from Tennessee, of which State he was a native. He was a slave of his native State, and while in slavery married Maria Bearfield, who was also a slave. She is still living, and makes her home with the subject of this sketch. Of the family there are but two children now living, Hasker and J. C., the latter of whom was born October 11, 1853, in Tennessee. He had an opportunity of attending school to the extent of about ten weeks, all told, and did not therefore aquire much knowledge in school. He, however, afterward built upon the little that he did thus aquire by observation and actual experience in life. His father was a very generous and liberal man, and was always helping some one by lending money and in other ways, and for this reason he did not accumulate much property.
J. C. Cooley was always a determined kind of boy. He lived with his father until he was twenty three year old, at which time his father died. He always had a liking for horses and for trading and studied various works on diseases of the horse, in this way becoming well informed on the subject. Thus equipped, but without money, he started in business with an old knock-kneed, sprained and hide-bound mare, put her in condition and traded her off for a good horse, and from this beginning he has built up a good trade. In the meantime he built a house, and continued to follow his profession as a veterinary surgeon, and accumulated considerable money, until he was able to open his present business. Here he has his full share of trade, and keeps a good stock of horses and buggies, transfer wagons, omnibuses, carriages, etc. He began where he is now located in 1881, and at the present time he is in a good financial condition.
In 1880, Mr. Cooley was married to Love Turnbo, a native of Tennessee, whose parents removed from that State to Illinois. Her father is still living, but her mother is dead. Mr. and Mrs. Cooley have one child, John L., who was born in 1881. Mrs. Cooley is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Mr. Cooley has attained to his present position of prosperity wholly by his own efforts and deserves great credit for his success. [Taken from "The Biographical Review of Johnson, Massac, Pope and Hardin Counties" Published in 1893 by Chicago Biographical Publishing Co.; Transcribed by D. Woolard]
MAJOR L.W. COPELAND
Joshua S. Copeland, the father, when four years old came with his parents from Tennessee to Johnson county in 1808. Indians and wild game abounded and white neighbors were scarce. With five dollars he early moved to what is now Massac county, purchased a tract of unimproved land, cleared the same, reared his family, and died thereon at a ripe old age. He married Elizabeth Axley and she died in 1856, the mother of ten children, Robert Van Buren, James Franklin, Simon J., Melissa, Joshua and William Riley, are all dead. Samuel L. enlisted in company K, Twenty-ninth Illinois Infantry, served through the war and was killed in the explosion of the steamboat "Cumberland," 1868; with him John S. enlisted also, was discharged after the battle of Corinth and died upon reaching home. Mary J., wife of Thomas Parker, Vienna, Ill., and L.W. our subject. His second wife was Caroline E. Evers, of Graves county, Ky. To them were born David, deceased; Lizzie, wife of Thomas Starkes, Massac county; Mattie, wife of James Clark, Fresno, Cal.; Maggie, widow of James McNana; Charles M., Allie and Sallie, wife of Jesse Hawkins. Lawrence W. Copeland was born in Massac county Feb. 18, 1847. Was reared on the farm, attended the rural schools, was a good observer, and after farming several years before and after the war he turned his attention to trading. In his first trade for a flat boat and stock of goods he made $37.50. He made a trip down the Ohio and Mississippi on a merchant boat which sank at New Madrid, Mo. They refloated it, however, and sold it near the mouth of the St. Francis river. Before he returned he had owned fourteen different boats. In 1872 he went to Kansas, liked the country, returned home for his family, but when he reached Cairo the river was frozen over and his father, who had overtaken him, persuaded him to return to the old homestead, where he lived until the spring of 1873. At Joppa he opened a general store, employed as high as eleven clerks at a time, operated saw mills, threshers and shingle mills in connection with his business. He bought and made thousands of cypress shingles, shipping by boat loads. At one time he had 1,900,000 shingles and often bought 30,000 a day. He also secured the establishment of the Joppa post-office of which he was postmaster for years. In 1888 he moved to Metropolis, engaged in business, purchased the brick block, now known as the Copeland Hotel block, a valuable property, and successfully operated it as a hotel. He is a director in the National State Bank, Metropolis. In 1863, when only 16, he endeavored to enlist but was prevented by his father on account of his age. In 1864 he succeeded in joining company K, 137th Illinois Infantry, made a good soldier and saw considerable service. He has been commander of Tom Smith post, Metropolis, Illinois; was instrumental in raising a cavalry regiment, which was tendered to the governor during the Spanish-American war, for which he holds a commission as major. Governor Tanner appointed him custodian of Memorial Hall, Springfield, Illinois, which office he has held for almost four years. This hall contains the flags, photos and sacred mementoes of the troops of Illinois. To this most precious collection Major Copeland has added more tattered war-flags, more relics of merit than any former custodian, and has transformed Memorial Hall into a popular school of patriotism, visited by thousands from all over the world. In 1867 he married Miss Laura Hitchcock, a native of Massac county. They have eight children: Belle, wife of John Shipman; John L., Samuel, Estella, Ernest Augustus, Tony and Hilda. Politically Mr. Copeland has always been a zealous republican, and fraternally a Mason, Odd Fellow and Grand Army member.[History of Massac County, Illinois, by O.J. Page, 1900 - Tr. by K.M.]
DAVID JACKSON COWAN
David Cowan, grandfather, was a native of North Carolina. Mary Gray Cowan was from the same state. The Cowans and Grays emigrated to Henry and Stewart counties, Tennessee. The Grays owned over 300 slaves. David Cowan was a steamboatman on the Mississippi. Thomas J. Cowan, the father of our sketch, was born to David and Mary Cowan July 13th, 1833, at Sulphur Hill, Henry county, Tennessee. Isaac Worley, maternal grandfather, came to Johnson county from Tennessee, as early as 1808. He viewed the public road from Elvira, then the county seat, to the Mississippi river in 1809. His son, Hiram J. Worley, was born in Johnson county, Illinois, 1814. He married Vernila Graves and their daughter, Mary J. Worley, born March 9, 1842, became the wife of Thomas J. Cowan. David Jackson Cowan, son of Thomas J. and Mary J. Cowan was born Aug. 27th, 1865, on the old homestead two and one-half miles from Vienna, Ill. He had four sisters, Nancy, Lucinda, wife of W.H.V. Waters, near Bloomfield, and Martha Ann, wife of William Nobles, near Buncombe, Ill., and Mary V., wife of Dr. R.A. Hale, Bloomfield, Ill., who died May 24, 1899; and Miss Gertrude Cowan, living at home. He also has two brothers, Thomas J., living three and one-half miles from Vienna, and John O., living at home. David attended the public schools, the Vienna High School, and graduated in the Latin-English course of the Southern Normal University, Carbondale, Illinois, June, 1887. He taught his first term in the Rhidenhouer district, principal of the Vienna school for the year 1887-88, taught the next year near Walla Walla, Washington, and near Ferndale, the same state, the following year. From 1889 he taught four terms near Sacramento, Cal. He engaged in the rush for land in the Cherokee strip Sept. 16, 1893, but was not favorably impressed. He was appointed to organize the public schools of Newkirk, county seat of Kay county, Ok., 1893-95. This was his last teaching. While at Sacramento, Cal., he was admitted by the supreme court to the practice of law Aug. 8, 1893, and was also admitted at Guthrie, Ok. In the spring of 1895 he formed a partnership with W.A. Spann at Vienna, Ill., and has been actively practicing since. He has been twice chosen city attorney of Vienna and March 24, 1900, he was nominated by the republicans as candidate for state's attorney of Johnson county, and elected Nov. 6, 1900. While attending the normal he was commissioned captain of the cadets by Professor, now Major General, J.F. Bell, in the Philippines, and in the war with Spain raised company A of Robart's Provisional Regiment, known as the 11th United States Volunteers, and was commissioned captain. He is an Odd Fellow and a member of the Rebeccas. He is a Mason, member of the Vienna chapter and worthy patron of the Eastern Star lodge.[History of Massac County, Illinois, by O.J. Page, 1900 - Tr. by K.M.]
The grandfather of Lewis Cummins was Zachariah Cummins, born in England and early emigrated to Virginia, residing several years near Richmond. He and Daniel Boone went to Kentucky together. Mr. Cummins purchased and improved a large tract of land in Trimble county, Kentucky, where he lived until 1836, when he sold everything and came to Pope county, Illinois. Later he lived with his children in Johnson county, and died at 76 years of age. He was a soldier in the war of 1812. His wife was a Miss Lydia Arnett, born in North Carolina, a practicing physician of repute and died in Johnson county. Thomas Cummins, father of Lewis, born and reared in Virginia, joined the family in Kentucky. He was a carpenter and physician. He, his second wife and three children accompanied his father, Zachariah, to Illinois on a flatboat in 1836. When he landed at Metropolis there were six houses and the county sparsely settled. He purchased forty acres of land in Grantsburg township, Johnson county, entered 160 more and lived there until his death at the age of 81 years. His wife was Sarah Gabbart, of German ancestry, born in Mercer county, Ky., and died in Trimble county. Lewis Cummins was born in Trimble county, Ky., Dec. 27, 1824. His mother died when he was eighteen months old, was raised by his maternal grandparents and t 16 years of age became overseer of his grandfather's immense plantation. He was a soldier in the Mexican war, later superintended his uncle's ways at Smithland, Ky., about three years, then came to Johnson county, Ill. He purchased a farm in Grantsburg township, built a log house, was successful in farming and in 1865 entered the mercantile business at Metropolis. September, 1849, he married Miss Mary J. Comer, born in Halifax county, Virginia, and daughter of John E. and Martha (Epps) Comer. John T., Zachariah, America Belle, wife of Mrs. J.C. Howell, all of Metropolis and Lewis G., deceased are their children. Mr. and Mrs. Cummins are Methodists. Mr. Cummins was a Mason of many years and at his death May 3, 1898, he was interred under the services of that order. John T. Cummins, D.D.S., son of Lewis Cummins, was born in Grantsburg township, Johnson county, Ill., Aug. 30th, 1852. He labored on the farm, attended the early schools and two terms at the seminary, clerked in his father's store and began the practice of dentistry in 1875, continuing until the present. He took a seminary course in dentistry at Terre Haute, Ind., and further pursued the work at Ann Arbor, Mich. In 1877 he graduated at the Chicago Dental college, and to further improve himself took a practitioner's course in 1890, and a post graduate course in 1895. With 32 applicants he stood examination before the United States post graduate association and was one of thirteen who passed. He was treasurer of the southern branch of the State Dental society, has appeared on the program before that body in "demonstration work" several times and is at present librarian of the society. In 1891 he was one of the dental examiners for five counties in southern Illinois and a member of the World's Colombian Dental college in 1893. For a number of years he has maintained an office at Golconda as well as Metropolis. He will, however, discontinue the former because his practice in his home city has gradually increased, demanding his whole time. No more elegant apartments are to be found anywhere than the suite of dental parlors in the Temple building. Dr. Cummins was married to Miss Luella Rankins, daughter of Captain Benjamin Rankins, in 1875. She was born in Massac county, Ill. They had had two children, both dead. He is an Odd Fellow, Knight of Honor, and Knight of Pythias. He was re-elected alderman of Metropolis in 1900 by an increased majority.[History of Massac County, Illinois, by O.J. Page, 1900 - Tr. by K.M.]
FRANK H. CURTIS
Frank H. Curtis is a school man, superintendent of the city schools of Bern in Nemaha County (Kansas) and has been a factor in Kansas educational affairs for a number of years. He was born in Massac County, Illinois, July 28, 1874, but when five years of age went with his parents to Western Kansas and grew up in Trego County when that was a frontier section. Mr. Curtis is of Scotch-Irish ancestry and members of the family were pioneers in Kentucky. His father, Dr. D. B. Curtis, was born in Kentucky in 1815. He graduated from the Louisville Medical College at Louisville, Kentucky, practiced for a number of years in Massac County, Illinois, and in 1879 removed to Trego County, where he was one of the early practitioners of medicine. He lived there and followed his profession until his death in 1894. Doctor Curtis was a republican. During the Civil war he served with the Union army as a surgeon. His first wife was Miss Reardon, and the only child of that union is Emma, wife of George Ufford, a merchant at Wakeeney, Kansas. For his second wife Doctor Curtis married Miss Bettie Priestley, who was born in Illinois and died in Trego County, Kansas. They had a large family of children, ten in number. D. W. Curtis, a farmer at Miami, Florida; Anna, who died at Kanopolis, Kansas, the wife of Rev. F. C. Griffith, formerly a minister of the Methodist Episcopal Church and now editor of a paper at Kanopolis; Jennie, twin sister of Anna, wife of A. E. Rassicott, a cattleman and liveryman living at Ransom, Kansas; Frank Henry, who was the fourth in order of birth; John, who died when twenty years of age; Mollie, twin sister of John, wife of Burdette Dubbs, a farmer and connected with a mercantile concern at Ransom, Kansas; Louise, wife of Rev. Howard Thomison, a Methodist Episcopal minister living in Oklahoma; E. P., who is a student in Columbia University in New York City and is at this writing enrolled in the Ambulance Corps ready for call to active service in Europe; Helen, wife of Lee Miller, a farmer at Ransom, Kansas; and J. S., also a farmer at Ransom. Frank Henry Curtis was educated in the rural schools of Trego County. Besides the common schools he attended the Kansas Wesleyan University at Salina and was graduated from the Normal department in 1912 with the degree Bachelor of Pedagogy. In 1905 he had taken up active work as a teacher in Trego County and was in the rural schools three years and then filled out the unexpired term of one year as county superintendent of schools as successor of Mrs. Clara Smith. After this he resumed his studies, and in 1913 became superintendent of schools at Brownell, Kansas, remaining two years. He then entered the State Normal School at Emporia, from which he received his life teacher's certificate in 1916. Mr. Curtis took his present position as superintendent of schools at Bern in the fall of 1916. He is also a farmer by ownership, and has a quarter section of good land in Trego County. Mr. Curtis is unmarried. Politically he is a prohibitionist, and is licensed as a local preacher in the Methodist Episcopal Church. [Source: "A standard history of Kansas and Kansans" By William Elsey Connelley; Published by Lewis, 1918; Submitted by K. T.]
GEORGE L. CORLIS
CORLIS, George L., lawyer; born, Metropolis, ILL., May 26, 1873; son of Edwin and Sarah (Scott) Corlis; LL.B., McKendree College, Lebanon, ILL., 1891; married, Union City, Tenn., Oct. 15, 1895, Miss Bird Trevathan; two daughters: Marian and Catherine. Admitted to Illinois bar, 1891; in practice in East St. Louis, 1891-96, since in St. Louis; member firm of Corlis & Quinn. Dean of Benton College of Law. Democrat. Mason (R. A.)Author: Commercial Law; Business Law and Business Methods; Short Study of Real Property; Delineation of Some Phases of the Law. Recreation: literature. Office: Times Bldg. Residence: St. Regis Apts. [Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by C. Slater]
BACK -- HOME
Copyright © Genealogy Trails