HIRAM C. FISHER, M.D.
Dr. H.C. Fisher was born March 24, 1838, on a farm in Union township, Vanderburg county, Ind., attended the district school about three months each year until 16 years of age, when he entered and afterward graduated from a Commercial College, returned to the farm and in 1865 began the study of medicine, graduating March 4, 1868, from the Ohio Medical College. He practiced his profession for three years at his old home, then moved to New Liberty, Pope county, and in the year 1882 he came to Metropolis. Today he is still actively and successfully prosecuting an extensive practice, although 62 years of age. The Doctor was a Republican from Lincoln's time until in 1896, he became an ardent "Silver Republican." He never joined any religious society, is a Mason, and has belonged actively, to both the Pope and Massac County Medical Societies. He is the author of two novels of much merit, which will be soon published. He has been married three times. Miss Adelaide Moss, of Indiana, was his first wife. After her death, he married Amanda McElevey, of Cincinnati, Ohio, who is the mother of his two children, Hodge T., Metropolis, Ill., and Mrs. Grace C. Winter, Bozeman, Mont. His present wife was Miss Grace A. Slater of Metropolis.[History of Massac County, Illinois, by O.J. Page, 1900 - Tr. by K.M.]
HENRY D. FRY
Henry D. Fry, a resident of township 15, range 4, Massac County, was born in East Tennessee, October 31, 1841, and is a son of Henry and Esther Fry, who came to Illinois when he was but an infant, and has no recollection of any other country than his adopted home. He was educated in the primitive subscription schools, with their log schoolhouses, heated by a large open fireplace taking up the entire end of the building, and with furniture made of logs and punchions. He made his home with his mother until his enlistment in the Union army, which took place in October, 1861, when he became a member of Company A, Forty-eighth Illinois Infantry, and served nearly two years. He was then taken sick and was honorably discharged on account of disability, his sickness being caused by exposure in the field. Returning home as soon as able, he resumed work at the carpenter's trade, which he had learned before the war came on, and also engaged some in farming. In 1880 he purchased the farm he now owns and occupies, which at the time of purchase comprised one hundred and twenty acres, forty of which were improved. He now has the greater portion of the farm cleared and under cultivation and has added to the house and otherwise improved the place so that now it is a comfortable home. In 1863 our subject was married to Catherine Gregory, who was born in Massac County, and was the daughter of Ulysses Gregory. She died about two years later, and he was married the second time, to Adeline Allen, who was born in this county, and was a daughter of William Allen. Mr. and Mrs. Fry had six children: Ida, Phineas, Catherine, Maud and Lewis (twins), and Isaac. Mrs. Fry died in 1888, and our subject was married the third time, to Sarah (Branham) Choat, the widow of Grant Choat. She was born in Massac County, and is the daughter of Daniel Branham. Mr. and Mrs. Fry have one daughter, Lora. They are members of the Missionary Baptist Church. The former is a member of Tom Smith Post No. 345, G.A.R., is a Republican in politics and a stanch supporter of that party's principles. He has served as a member of the Township School Board and as Road Commissioner. [Taken from "The Biographical Review of Johnson, Massac, Pope and Hardin Counties" Published in 1893 by Chicago Biographical Publishing Co; Tr. by Debbie Woolard]
JACOB W. FRY
Jacob W. Fry is the son of Henry Fry, descendant of the good old Pennsylvania German stock. His mother was Esther Kinser, also of Pennsylvania. While married they lived in Green county, Tennessee, where August 22, 1833, their son Jacob was born. In 1843 they moved to Johnson county, Ill., locating three miles north of Vienna, and not liking the country in 1844 moved to Massac county, buying the improvement on a farm on the Vienna road near New Columbia, and died there in 1845. Jacob W. moved into Washington precinct in 1847. He married Miss Mary A. Dye Sept. 6, 1854, and she is still living. They went to housekeeping in the neighborhood, but he being of a mechanical turn of mind they moved to Metropolis in 1856. In 1883 they went to Kentucky, where Mr. Fry operated a saw and flour mill of his own and in 1893 came to Brooklyn, Illinois. Since then he has been connected with all forward movements to upbuild his chosen city. He owns and operates the Brooklyn flouring mills and does a good business. Mr. and Mrs. Fry are the parents of eleven children, all of whom are dead except their son, John W., who lives at Melber, McCracken county, Kentucky, and conducts a large mill, store and is postmaster. All his life Mr. Fry has been a zealous Christian. He was converted and joined the Methodist church in 1854. In 1856 he united with the Baptist congregation at Waldo, became their deacon, changed to Metropolis congregation and served as deacon and trustee. He also holds those important positions in the church at Brooklyn.[History of Massac County, Illinois, by O.J. Page, 1900 - Tr. by K.M.]
BACK -- HOME
Copyright © Genealogy Trails