DAVID GORDON THOMPSON
John Thompson and wife (nee Anderson) were native Virginians and grandparents of our subject. Gordon Thompson, their son, and father of David Gordon, was born in Giles county, Va., Dec. 18, 1813, and was brought to Pope county on a visit to his widow mother, coming on horseback. Here he located a tract of government land and permanently resided there until his death in January, 1892. His wife was Miss Jane Clemens, daughter of David Clemens, of Livingstone county, Ky. The Clemens ancestry were also from Virginia. Mrs. Thompson died in 1862 and Mr. Thompson married Miss Louisa J. Williams. David Gordon Thompson, youngest child of the first marriage, was born near Golconda, Pope county, Illinois, on his father's farm Oct. 21, 1853, and reared thereon until he was 20 years of age. He attended the rural schools and finished his education at the Southern Illinois Normal university, Carbondale, through which he worked his way, graduating with honor in the class of 1878. He taught four terms, beginning at the age of 19. In 1880 he owned and published the Herald, a weekly republican newspaper, for two years. He filled an unexpired term of county superintendent of schools. While teaching he pursued the study of law under the direction of, now Secretary of State, James A. Rose, and continued his course until admitted to practice in 1884. In 1888 he was elected state's attorney and re-elected in 1892. Later he became county judge to fill a vacancy of two years occasioned by the resignation of Judge Crow. He has always been an ardent republican, serving on the county central executive committee, secretary of the committee, delegate to various congressional, judicial and state conventions, and a ready campaigner since his majority. For ten years he has been a member of the Golconda board of education, is an elder in the Presbyterian church, and a Mason and Odd Fellow. April, 1882, he and Miss Mary E., daughter of Jared Huffman, were married. They have a pleasant home and enjoy merited social recognition.[History of Massac County, Illinois, by O.J. Page, 1900 - Tr. by K.M.]
CHARLES W. TIETLOFF (Deceased)
Charles W. Tietloff was born in Germany, 1842, and was brought to New York City at the age of 12 years by his parents in 1854, where they remained one year; came to Pope county, Illinois, and entered land. Here both parents died. Mr. Tietloff enlisted in company B, Fifteenth Illinois Cavalry Volunteers, in 1861, fought in many severe battles and was honorably discharged Aug. 25, 1864. He returned to Pope county and began farming. On March 26, 1865, he was married to Clementine Hopson, daughter of John R. Hopson, a pioneer of Massac county. He entered land in 1838 on which he died, 1851. He taught in winter and farmed in summer. Clementine, his daughter, was born in Massac county and joined the Methodist Episcopal church at 16 years of age. Mr. Tietloff and wife lived two years in Pope county with her membership in the Cave Spring M.E. church. They moved to Miland, Tenn., and engaged in the butcher business, and after three years removed to Pope county, where they remained two years and came to Massac county, purchasing a farm in 1872 in Brooklyn precinct, on which he died in 1899, respected by all. In 1888 he was elected by the republicans as county commissioner, which office he filled with credit. Both were members of the Powers M.E. church and he was a member of Tom Smith post.[History of Massac County, Illinois, by O.J. Page, 1900 - Tr. by K.M.]
CAPT. WILLIAM H. TINDALL
The paternal grandfather of Mr. Tindall was a soldier in the war of 1812, went to Indiana and settled in Harrison county. His son, Samuel Harrison, was born in that county in 1814 or 1815. Phoebe Madden, wife of Samuel Harrison, was born 1818, in the same county, of Virginia ancestry. They were married in the spring of 1839. William Henry Tindall, their son and oldest child, was born May 31, 1840, in Harrison county, Indiana, and when seven years of age, was brought by his parents to Massac county, Ill., on a flat boat, landing at Brooklyn, Ill., before there was any town there. They settled in what is now Brooklyn precinct for two years, when land was secured in what is now Washington precinct, by land warrant and here the family lived for years. Mrs. Samuel Tindall died Dec. 20, 1865, and Mr. Tindall passed away in the spring of 1871, in Pope county. Young William attended subscription schools a little and says he received most of his early education of Rev. Samuel Atwell, at night by the fire light. He lived on the old homestead until Jan. 11, 1877, when he sold it and purchased the farm on which he now lives and which he has highly improved. February 2, 1860, he married Miss Elizabeth Berry, a native of Rhone county, Tennessee, born May 10, 1841. They have but one child, Nannie, wife of S.O. Brockett, and they live at home with the parents. She was born Feb. 15, 1869, and has a little son, William M. In 1862 the captain enlisted in Company C, 131st Illinois Infantry, and was made sergeant. After the siege of Vicksburg the 29th and 131st regiments were consolidated, Mr. Tindall being attached to Company K, 29th. He saw hard service and passed through every position from private to captain, and was mustered out in November, 1865. Returning home he retired to the farm, managing the same with skill. November 3, 1874, he was elected sheriff for a term of two years, and his record so commended him that he was again elected in November, 1886, and always guarded the interests of the county. Unfortunately, while operating a binder in the harvest field, June 22, 1899, he was caught in the machine and lost his right limb from just below the knee. He patiently bore his severe trial and recovered. He is kind-hearted, honorable and respected. Politically, he is a republican.[History of Massac County, Illinois, by O.J. Page, 1900 - Tr. by K.M.]
CHARLES EDWARD TROVILLION, M.D.
Charles E. Trovillion was born near Columbus, Pope county, Ill., April 17, 1868. His father, Daniel P., with the grandfather, James Y. Trovillion, came from Tennessee, being originally French Huguenots who had fled to Virginia. His mother, Elizabeth Trovillion, nee Lewis, was early left an orphan, she became a strong, impressive Christian character. Of the family, four brothers survive - one Baptist minister, one farmer, and two other physicians; two sisters are also living. Young Trovillion farmed and attended the rural schools in youth, but early turned to the study of medicine with his brother, Dr. J.A. Trovillion, in 1887, whom he accompanied to Nashville, that fall, to attend a course of lectures in the Medical Department of the University of Tennessee, and graduated at the St. Louis College of Physicians and Surgeons March, 1891. He immediately formed a partnership with his brother, Dr. J.A., which continued three years, and then he and his brother, M.H., became co-partners. To further his knowledge and skill, he took an addendum degree at the Barnes Medical College, St. Louis, and also the St. Louis Baptist Hospital, acquiring a diploma from each institution. Cognizant of his ability and ambitions he came to Metropolis and associated himself with Dr. A.C. Ragsdale to open and operate a Sanitarium for the treatment of disease under the immediate care of skilled physicians. The Sanitarium, described in another place, was operated so successfully in rented quarters the first year that it now occupies its own building, and enjoys a liberal patronage. In this Sanitarium Dr. Trovillion is professor of surgery and Gynecology, of which he has made special study. The doctor is medical examiner for the Aetna Life Insurance Company, the Court of Honor and Supreme Examiner of the Knights of Massac. He is secretary of the Massac County Medical Society, and by President McKinley was appointed on the Pension Examining Board of Pope county. Politically he is a stalwart Republican. Our subject was first married to Miss Millie Abbott, May 24, 1891, and they had one son, Russell. Mrs. Trovillion died Aug. 15th, 1894, and Aug. 18, 1895, he married Miss Rilla Waters, to whom have been born two children, Trois and Howard. The family have a beautiful home on Metropolis street.[History of Massac County, Illinois, by O.J. Page, 1900 - Tr. by K.M.].
MILO H. TROVILLION, M.D.
Round Knob -- Daniel P. Trovillion, the father of our subject, was born in Tennessee, and was early brought to Illinois by his parents. He became a prosperous farmer in Pope county, Ill., and retired to Brownfield, 1891, to enjoy his later years. His wife was Elizabeth Lewis, and a native of Illinois. Milo H. Trovillion, M.D., was born in Columbus, Pope county, Ill., Oct. 31, 1865, and reared on a farm. He attended the common schools and the private normal schools. In 1885 he taught school for one term and began to read medicine under his brother, Dr. J.A. Trovillion, of Pope county. In the fall of 1889 he matriculated in the St. Louis College of Physicians and Surgeons, graduating with the title of "M.D." March 14, 1892, and opened an office in McCormick, Pope county. Later he removed to Bloomfield, in the same county, and practiced his profession there for two and one-half years. In 1899 he located at Round Knob, in Massac county, where he is building up a paying practice. Dr. Trovillion is a member of the Massac and Pope county medical societies and of the Southern Illinois Medical Association. He is assistant physician at the Metropolis Sanitarium and has contributed scientific medical papers for the Southern Illinois Journal of Medicine and Surgery. In 1888 he and Miss Anna Williams were married. They have one child living, Loren, now 13; Carlos died at the age of 5 years.[History of Massac County, Illinois, by O.J. Page, 1900 - Tr. by K.M.]
JOHN R. TURNBO
Robert Turnbo and Isabella Cook were born and married in Graves county, Ky., were freed by Lincoln, and moved near Brooklyn, at the close of the War, coming to Metropolis in 1881. The father was paralyzed and rendered helpless Thanksgiving day, 1887, and died July 21, 1893; the mother died April 17, 1887, leaving a large family. John L. Turnbo, their son, was born in Massac county Aug. 30th, 1871, and at his mother's death was left to care for an invalid father and five sisters. Although but 16 years old, he quit school, and began farming and teaming to make a living until 1887, when he entered the brick farm of Grace & Co., and had purchased all the interests by 1893. He now took a term of Academic training, brick laying, and mechanical drawing in the renowned Tuskeegee Institute, Alabama. He is a scientific maker of brick, and has been unable to supply the demand. A large boiler and new kiln will be added to his plant this year, increasing its capacity to 20,000 bricks daily. Mr. Turnbo is a stalwart Republican, never bolting his ticket. In 1898 he was elected city councilman from his ward, and returned again in 1900. In fraternal circles he is a G.U.O.O.F., filling every office in the local lodge, Illinois Star Lodge No. 1808, and was sent as district delegate to the Grand Lodge, which made him Deputy Grand Master of Illinois one year. He holds a life membership in the district lodge. He became a member of the A.M.E. Church in 1884, filled every office in the local church, and has been superintendent of the Sunday school for twelve years. He was elected lay delegate by the Illinois conference in 1896 to the General Conference held at Wilmington, N.C., and re-elected in 1899 to attend the conference which convened in May, 1900, at Columbus, Ohio. Mr. Turnbo stands high in the community.[History of Massac County, Illinois, by O.J. Page, 1900 - Tr. by K.M.]
BACK -- HOME
Copyright © Genealogy Trails