Metropolis Herald, Dec. 30, 1908
Submitted by Ann Laird
Squire Sol Grace came rushing in the Herald Office after last week's paper was out and told about the Laird-Ellerbusch wedding which he had legalized the previous Sunday. It was Ernest Laird and Miss Sophie Ellerbusch. The groom is a son of James Laird and Mrs. Eliza Smith Laird, who were married by Squire Grace a generation ago. The Squire is not a little proud of this record and is confidently looking forward to the time when he will marry the oldest son of the bride and groom.

Squire Jim Robbins was in when Squire Grace was telling these things and said that the groom was a grandson of "Rogen Progen" Smith who once eternally routed the Night Riders in this country by sowing a bushel of tobacco seed one February. The Night Riders were kept so busy root-up tobacco plants that they had no time to burn a single tobacco barn. Since the day of "Rogen Progen" the Night Riders in this country have all smoked the pipe of peace.

Metropolis Herald, Dec. 30, 1908
Submitted by Ann Laird
Frank Allen, Miss Mamie Barber (2), Miss Laura Burger, Miss Allie Burns, Mrs. M. Bagley, Mrs. Luranie Chavis, Miss Nora Everett, G.A. Carpenter, Rev. Wm. Hightower, W.C. Miller, Mrs. Mary Haynes, Mr. Jal Kilwut, Mrs. Emma Harris, Mr. John Hattan, Mrs. Rosa Littlemeyer, T. Truse, Mrs. Nabala McDonald, Jos. Tabron, Miss Ethel Meyer, Mack Nubern, Otto Routen, Mrs. H.T. Sanders, Miss Azelia Sumner, R.N. Vaughn, Toasted Corn Flakes Co., Lucy Thomas.

Persons calling for the above letters will please say "advertised".

U.E. Smith, Postmaster

(From The Eagle)
Metropolis Herald, Dec. 30, 1908
Submitted by Ann Laird
Mrs. P.S. Waters is recoving somewhat from a bad spell of diptheria.
One hundred and twenty-two loads were taken out of this place last Sunday, and 114 empties were brought in, which makes a very good showing.
Mrs. Clint Bagley is very sick, and her father, Wm. Martin, of Metropolis, has been down here all this week at her bedside.
Last Tuesday morning during recess at school, while running and playing, Leslie Emerson the second son of Mr. and Mrs. Willie Emerson, fell and broke his right leg, just a little below the thigh.
John Ridenour, of New Liberty, has gone to Cotter, Ark., on a visit.
Smith C. Utterback went to Paducah last Wednesday morning, it being the first time that he has been out for over two weeks, as he has been sick in bed.
Mrs. H.B. Zellers left last Monday for St. Louis on a visit, and Miss Hazel, who went with her goes to Hoopeston.

Metropolis Herald, July 22, 1908
Submitted by Ann Laird
On the 12 inst. At the home of Mrs. Jennie Brown living east of Round Knob, occurred a social gathering of relatives and friends to do honor to Mrs. Brown who is the youngest and last survinving member of the Leek family she being a sister of E.O. and Captain R.H. Leek of this city both now deceased. Mrs. Brown is now in her 80th year of age, has been a widow 53 years living at her present home since her marriage showing no sign of second childhood. She is bright and cheerful, waiting the summons which comes to all sooner or later.

There was a merry time, plenty of good things to eat not forgetting the ice cream and cake. One of the pleasantest surprises to the lady was the presence of her oldest sister's two sons, Wm. Maxwell of Martin, Tenn., and Joseph Maxwell, wife and daughter of Paducah, Ky.

Those present were Mrs. Sallie Grace and son, sister-in-law of Mrs. Brown also the last survivor of her family; Ishmael Copeland and family of near Brookport, James Collins and sons, John Borman and family, W.C. Lukens and wife also Mrs. Robt. H. Leek and daughters, the Misses Lizzie Rapking and Lizzie Diekman. W.C. Lukens and wife furnished entertainment while the Leek sisters furnished table decorations, nasturtiums and sweet peas. The only regret was the unavoidable absence of her oldest daughter and two sons and her nephew John Leek.

Metropolis Herald, Nov. 2, 1908
Submitted by Ann Laird
But two pensioners remain on the roll on account of the revolutionary war. They are Sarah C. Hurlburt, aged 90 years, of Little Marsh, Pa., daughter of Elijah Weeks, who served in a Massachusetts company, and Phoebe M. Palmeter, aged 87 years, of West Edmeston, N.Y., daughter of Jonathan Wooley, who served in a New Hampshire company. Both are pensioned by special acts of congress. The last surviving widow pensioner of that war was Esther S. Damon of Plymouth Union, Vt., who died November 11, 1906, aged 92 years. The last survivor of the war of the revolution was Daniel F. Bakeman, who died at Freedom, Cataraugus county, New York April 5, 1869, aged 109 years, six months and eight days.

The last surviving pensioned soldier of the war of 1812 was Hiram Crook, of Ava, N.Y., who died May 13, 1905, aged 105 years and sixteen days. The names of 471 widows of the war of 1812 remained on the pension roll June 30, 1908.

As We Hark Back Twenty Years and See The First Railroad Train
(Brookport Eagle)
Metropolis Herald, Dec. 23, 1908
Submitted by Ann Laird
Twenty years ago last Wednesday, December 2, 1888, the first passenger train, No. 19, Conductor Depew, arrived in Brooklyn and was forwarded to Paducah via Transfer G.W. Parker. On the same date (which was Sunday) an extra, consisting of a caboose, one coach, two cars of company coal and a pile driver, arrived in charge of Conductor Jack Gaddis. This was the first regular crew into Brooklyn. The first regular conductor and engineer into Massac county were M. Whalen, conductor, and John Ridenbaugh, engineer. On the second day of December 1888, Mike Whalen was put in charge of Brooklyn yard as yardmaster, which position he still occupies.

A.J. Farquhar, who was at that time in charge of the Western Union in Metropolis, another Brookporter, received and copied the first order ever sent into Massac county.

The first car of revenue freight transferred was a car of salt. C.L.S. Car 2430; the first car of revenue freight loaded and shipped out of Brooklyn was a car of hickory nuts, shipped by Bob Willis, of Stringtown to Boston, Mass. He never did get pay for them. This was on December 14, 1888, and it was loaded on the transfer boat at 12 noon. The first station agent at Brooklyn was John Kelley, but better known as "Little" Kelley.

So time passes on, those who can personally recall all these events even though they were children then, are fast passing into old age-Father Time still swings a steady hand with the scythe. Some are gone, some are married and some are dead.

Twenty years ago, December 2, 1888 ye editor was a ten-year-old boy and one that had never seen a train. In company with a few boys he walked from Temple Hill, Pope county, to Big Bay to see the above train-and you bet there were some scared kids there that day, too!

Dr. Francis A. Halliday Revisits His Old Home
Metropolis Herald, Oct. 21, 1908
Submitted by Ann Laird
After an absence of 20 years spent as a surgeon in the regular army of the United States Dr. Francis A. Halliday arrived here on Saturday evening from Fort Moultrie, South Carolina, where he has spent a number of years as post surgeon. Dr. Halliday served as a surgeon in the civil war, afterwards settling here where he was married and we believe that three, if not four of his children were born in Metropolis. The oldest son, Manning, has been engaged in the cattle business in New Mexico. The oldest member of the Doctor's family was Miss Fannie, now the wife of Lieutenant Carson of the 8th Cavalry stationed at Fort Robinson, Nebraska. She has one child, a fine little boy of about six years.

Doctor Halliday's son Charley, an urchin of ten years when the Doctor left Metropolis is now a man of 30 years who received his general education in the schools of the National Capitol and a medical education in the College of Physicians and Surgeons in Baltimore, Maryland. It is a matter of no small pride with his father that his youngest son should succeed him in the position of Post Surgeon which the Doctor has just vacated by reason of his retirement because of having reached his age limit. Dr. Halliday's youngest daughter, Miss Mabel, married Capt. Lawson who is now on duty at Jolo Jolo, Phillipine Islands. This is the Moro country where the Mohammedan religion prevails and a Christian dares not go aboard among them unarmed. Jolo is a walled city after the ancient fashion and the old rule of forcing all strangers outside the gates when night fall approaches still prevails-then the gates are closed and sentries placed so as to prevent surprise by our hostile subjects.

After spending a few days here, Dr. Halliday expects to join his wife in Chicago, from whence they will go to Washington City probably to reside permanently. The following newspaper clipping will give some idea of the Doctor's experience in the service of Uncle Sam.

Lexington, Tex. Apr 26-Dr. Francis A. Halliday, surgeon, United States army, stationed at Fort Fremont, S.C., came in yesterday in response to a telegram requesting his presence at the bedside of his step-mother, Mrs. Halliday-Nesbit.

The doctor lived here when quite a boy, but left in 1857, studied medicine, joined the army service as surgeon the latter part of the civil war.

He was stationed at Galveston, Austin, San Antonio and El Paso, in the early seventies, and tells some thrilling tales of encounters with the Indians during those troublesome times. 

Return to Newspaper Index

Return to Massac County Home Page

Copyright © 2000-2001, by Debbie Woolard. All rights reserved.

Copyright includes all contents of this site and does not extend to any other entity. It may not be quoted or retransmitted without a full citation to the author, and may not be put into print--in whole or part--without the individual author's express permission. Submitters retain all copyright, along with the hosts.