Articles from Illustrated Industrial Edition

The Massac Journal Republican

THE GLOVE FACTORY
Taken from Massac Journal Republican-Illustrated Industrial Edition, August 10, 1916
Submitted by Norma Jean Huss

The new glove factory of C.T. Houghten & Co., located at Market and 17th streets is an addition to the industries of Metropolis, of which the city may well feel proud, as it fills a much needed want. The building is 110x156 feet in one story and of concrete and steel construction. It is so constructed that a second story may be added at any future time.

The building is the only one of its kind in this part of the country and appears to be designed with the comfort of the employees in mind as you will note by the picture that it is practically all windows, allowing an abundance of light and ventilation. Several electric fans are used and we understand that the company is contemplating the installation of a water cooled air system for use during the summer months. Sanitation is up to the minute as they use liquid soap, paper towels and have bubblier drinking fountains, a rest room is also provided for the girls in case of sickness. Sewage is disposed of by means of a private concrete septic tank, constructed according to the latest approved designs. The building was begun on May 12th and the first finished product was turned out on July 5th. The above firm recently operated in Detroit, Mich., and Columbus, Ohio, but have removed the Detroit factory to this city. They still operate the factory at Columbus, Ohio and will add to the equipment here, should more girls apply for machines, as it is their desire to give a position to every girl who wants one. They are employing about 160 girls at the present time. The girls are paid while learning and in order to teach a large number at the same time, they operate two shifts of seven hours each. They also give free bus service for all employees to and from the factory. The firm began May 1st 1909, with but five machines and when in full operation in this city, will produce annually over 10,000,000 pairs of gloves. The write was informed by the management on his recent visit to the factory that they were all pleased with the progress the girls were making and that they were fully satisfied that eventually a large number of them will be able to sew four dozen gloves per hour, which will net them $3.20 per day.


STERN WHEEL MOTOR FERRY BOAT
Taken from Massac Journal Republican-Illustrated Industrial Edition, August 10, 1916
Submitted by Norma Jean Huss

FERRY BOAT ALFRED

An unusual type of ferryboat is operated on the Ohio River at Metropolis, Ill. The boat is named the Alfred and was built by its owner, Mr. Thomas E. Cutting, of Metropolis. It is 60 feet long and 20 feet beam, with a depth of hull of 3 feet. Power for operating the boat is derived from a 28 horse-power four-cylinder Clifton gasoline (petrol) marine engine, which through bevel gears, a cross shaft and sprocket wheels drives a paddle wheel at the stern 8 feet diameter and 11 feet long, fitted with ten buckets. Reversing is accomplished through a marine engine reverse gear at the engine. The engine was built by the Clifton Motor Works, Cincinnati, Ohio, which is the gas engine department of the Carlisle & Finch Company.

Schedule of Trips
Leaves Metropolis--7,9,11 a.m.
Leaves Metropolis--1,3,5 p.m.
Will make special trips to accommodate the public when occasion demands.
Will also run night excursion trips across the river for parties.

Capt. T.E. Cutting lives in Metropolis, was born and raised here and is one of the city's desirable and dependalbe citizens.


H. RAMPENDAHL, JR., COMPANY
Taken from Massac Journal Republican-Illustrated Industrial Edition, August 10, 1916
Submitted by Norma Jean Huss

The H. Rampendahl Jr., Company, Inc., manufacturers of slack barrel heads and staves, whose big plant is located on the river in East Metropolis is another of the extensive manufacturing industries of which this city boasts. The plant employs one hundred men steadily and is big factor in the prosperity of the city. Manufacturing slack staves and heading.

The Rampendahl Company has a large tow boat, two derricks and five barges used in hauling logs from the Mississippi River to the plant in Metropolis. During the year the company will consume five million feet of logs; which gives the reader something to ponder on. The products from the H. Rampendahl Co., goes all over the northwest, and thus again is Metropolis given a kind of advertising that it would be impossible to get otherwise.

The Rampendahls are numbered among our best people. The family came here when the plant was founded in 1890, coming here from Cincinnati. The company is incorporated and is composed of the following stock holders: H. Rampendahl, Sr., Mrs. H. Rampendahl Sr., Wm F. Rampendahl and H. Rampendahl Jr. The latter gentleman is in charge of the local plant and gives the work his personal attention.

H. Rampendahl Jr., was born in Cincinnati in 1862 and as stated above came to this city with his parents in 1865. He has always taken an active interest in the affairs of the city and in the early growth of a young city the development of its civic life usually rests with a small coterie of far sighted men, who are willing to sacrifice personal advantage for the sake of the good of their city. To such a group belongs H. Rampendahl Jr. Always standing for progress and has proven a friend of Metropolis. He is a member of the Commercial Club and is co-operating with the Journal-Republican in issuing this big Illustrated Industrial edition because he realizes that the paper will prove of untold value to this city.

The entire family are honored citizens of Metropolis. The people of this city and county are proud of the H. Rampendahl Jr., Manufacturing Company and wish it continued success.


THE LAIRD HOUSE
Taken from Massac Journal Republican-Illustrated Industrial Edition, August 10, 1916
Submitted by Norma Jean Huss

In enumerating them any splendid hotels and boarding houses of Metropolis, that part of this big illustrated industrial edition would be incomplete did it not contain an extended mention of that of the Laird House, which is operated by Mrs. Dora M. Laird, one of the oldest and most highly respected ladies in Metropolis. The reputation of the Laird House extends all over Southern Illinois, and justly so, because it is one of the best in the state.

Mrs. Laird, the proprietress, has been in this vicinity for years and years. A brief sketch of her and her late husband will be appreciated by all our readers, because they were numbered among Massac county's best people. Mrs. Laird, who was Miss Dora M. Hayden, was born in Cassopia, Cass County, Michigan, on the 8th day of August, 1856. While an infant her parents moved to Cincinnati and then to Mound City, where she attended the city schools and gleaned her education. She later moved to Massac County and on Nov. 2, 1871, she was united in marriage to C.M. Laird, who died on Sept. 15, 1909. Mr. Laird was a prosperous and well-to-do farmer and had a wide acquaintance. At the time of his death the family was living in Brookport, conducting a boarding house, running a livery stable, maintaining the big farm and in every way enjoying this life. Seven years ago Mrs. Laird moved to Metropolis with her children and continued in the boarding house business. And as we said above, there isn't a better one in the state. She is enjoying a splendid patronage. The table fairly groans with good things to eat and you are made to feel at home at the Laird house.

Eight children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Laird, seven of whom are now living, as follows: Harry, who lives at Peoria, Joe of this city, Miss Nettie, who is of great help at home, Bird and Otto of Brookport and Ivan and Roy, both of whom are in this city.

Curing her declining years, Mrs. Laird can console herself with the thought that she is surrounded by hundreds of warm personal friends. She is highly spoken of and she is well deserving of the splendid trade she is having. The Journal-Republican is more that pleased to her -----------in this big paper. May she have many many more happy birthdays is our sincere wish.


LITTLE GEM RESTAURANT
Taken from Massac Journal Republican-Illustrated Industrial Edition, August 10, 1916
Submitted by Norma Jean Huss

Among the newer residents of Metropolis is C.L. Robinson, proprietor of the Little Gem Restaurant located in the Fritz building on Ferry street across from the post office, who has made for himself a warm place in the hearts of the citizens of this town. Having equipped himself with the best preparations possible he has put this training to such good use that he is fast becoming known as one of the most dependable business men in Metropolis.

C.L. Robinson is a native of the state to those service he chose to give his manhood, having been born in Marion this state. He first saw the light in that prosperous city on January 6th, 1875, and gained his elementary education in the schools of that city. His parents died when he was only nine years old and he was forced to hunt for his own livelihood and learned plumbing and steam fitting trade. When comparatively a young man he entered the restaurant business in Marion where he conducted one of the best eating places in Southern Illinois for years. He came to Metropolis one year ago and established his present place of business.

The service one secures at the Little Gem Restaurant cannot be excelled anywhere. In addition to those splendid regular meals you can get large steaks, fish oysters in season and all kinds of short orders and anything in season. Mr. Robinson is in active charge at all times and oversees the management in a manner that assures the customer satisfaction.

Mr. Robinson is a member of the Odd Fellows, the Rebekahs and the Ben Hur. He also holds membership in the M.E. Church, south, and is in every way a citizen of the highest repute.

The Journal-Republican takes great pleasure in speaking of him and his restaurant in our big issue.

Back to Newspaper Articles

Back to Massac County Homepage

Copyright © 2000-2001, by Debbie Woolard. All rights reserved.

Copyright includes all contents of this site and does not extend to any other entity. It may not be quoted or retransmitted without a full citation to the author, and may not be put into print--in whole or part--without the individual author's express permission. Submitters retain all copyright, along with the hosts.