Articles from Illustrated Industrial Edition

The Massac Journal Republican

THE FIRST NATIONAL BANK
Taken from Massac Journal Republican-Illustrated Industrial Edition, August 10, 1916
Submitted by Norma Jean Huss

This Bank's name stands for Prudence and Solidity an epitome of the growth, development and expansion of banking circles of Metropolis, organized in 1884.

"By their fruits they shall be known" That's an old expression but so well does it imply the meaning of our thought in mind that we quote it in reference to the above banking institution.

Metropolis has long been noted for its three strong banking institutions, and by its banking facilities is a town or city judged. No city in Southern Illinois of anything like the size of Metropolis has more sound banks and these institutions have been of untold help to this city and county.

Prominent among the three banks in Metropolis is the First National which has a combined capital surplus and profits amounting to $150,000. Is officered by men of the highest integrity.

The Officers of the First National are as follows:
A. Quante, President
E.J. Cowling, Vice-President
L.K. McAlpin, Cashier
E.P. Copeland, Assistant Cashier

The Directors include such strong financial men as A. Quante, George Arensman, H.J. Humma, Melville Smith, G.W. Walbright, E.J. Cowling, C.E. Hilgeman, W.E. Walsh, and D.W. Helm.

Too much cannot be said of these men, who include the oldest residents of Massac County. Each is as safe and secure as a government bond, each is conservative, though progressive. This bank has been one of the old stanbys of Metropolis for years and years and is being favored with an abundant patronage.

The First National occupies its own spacious home on Ferry Street and has just recently published its report which shows a splendid business. In this report we note that the bank has resources amounting to the big sum of $555,257.77.

In another section of this Illustrated Industrial Edition of the Journal-Republican you will see this latest report which speaks for itself.

Real Burglar and Fire Proof Vaults

The vaults of this bank are of the most improved type, with electrically equipped appliances for the protection of its patrons, where you can rent a box for two to four dollars per year.

A more secure place for valuables cannot be found anywhere in the country. Why not make your valuables safe?


METROPOLIS MARBLE AND GRANITE WORKS
Taken from Massac Journal Republican-Illustrated Industrial Edition, August 10, 1916
Submitted by Norma Jean Huss

It is sage presumption that W.H. Karr, senior member of the firm of Karr & Oakes, proprietors of the Metropolis Marble and Granite Works, who is highly esteemed by our united populace, is an example of self-made manhood that is worthy of the most persistent and conscientious emulation. A native of this county, Mr. Karr from the time of his arrival at maturity, has marked his career with unceasing toil and honorable occupation and transaction.

Mr. Karr was born in Massac County on the 26th day of September, 1876, and has lived here all his life. He was educated in the common schools and graduated from the Metropolis High School. He moved to this city in 1884 and established the present marble works in 1908. This splendid enterprise is located on Ferry Street and is considered one of the really substantial business concerns in the city. The company turns out some magnificent work and specializes on Extra dark Quincy and Bowling Green Bleaching Stone for cemetery work. The product from this marble yard goes all over Southern Illinois and in this way gives Metropolis some effective advertising.

In speaking of the high esteem in which Mr. Karr is held by the people of Metropolis, we desire to state that he has served the city as Alderman for several years and as Mayor one year and in each office he gave eminent satisfaction.

He is a musician of much note and is at present the talented tuba player in Metropolis' splendid concert band. Mr. Karr holds membership in the following orders-the Knights of Pythias, Odd Fellows, Rebekahs, Woodmen of the World, Red Men and the Ben Hurr. He is also a member of the Methodist church and is in every way a mighty good citizen. He has a happy family and resides at Tenth and Metropolis streets.

This issue of the Journal-Republican would be incomplete without a sketch of W.H. Karr, and we are more than pleased to have him represented in our columns.


ZETTLER'S QUALITY GROCERY
Taken from Massac Journal Republican-Illustrated Industrial Edition, August 10, 1916
Submitted by Norma Jean Huss

A self made man, who has forged ahead through persistency and initiative is G.D. Zettler Jr., proprietor of Zettler's Quality Grocery, located at Seventh and Market streets. Mr. Zettler was born in Metropolis on December 24th, 1892 and attended the public schools of this city. He is the son of Mr. and Mrs. G.D. Zettler, who are among the prominent and substantial citizens of Metropolis and Massac County. After his school days he began clerking in stores at his home and soon learned the grocery business. Then to dawned upon him that he should venture in business for himself and he made the start February 2, 19--, and he had the right idea, because the ------ --------.

he did was to select the best brands of groceries to be had and he did so. He has the Libby brand of canned goods, the Beechnut, Campbell and Van Camp. Occident flour and also the home flour. He makes cash, spot cash, his hobby, and he is thus enabled to give some splendid bargains in the grocery line.

Being a native son of Metropolis and having cast his business enterprise in this city, he naturally desires to see Metropolis go bounding to the front. He is an unusually energetic youngman, filled with splendid business ideas and is one of the young business men here who are always ready to stand up for the town and who are always ready to do their full quota in its behalf.

Mr. Zettler is a man of enterprise and he believes in going ahead. He realizes the advertising given Metropolis by issuing of this Illustrated Industrial Edition will be worth much to this city and he is therefore co-operating with us in its publication.


WOODARDS CONFECTIONERY
Taken from Massac Journal Republican-Illustrated Industrial Edition, August 10, 1916
Submitted by Norma Jean Huss

James Woodard, proprietor of Woodard's Confectionery, is one of the representative citizens of Metropolis who have made their influence felt in a quiet, unobtrusive and effectual manager. Engaged in the confectionery business for the past four years and prior to that engaged in the newspaper agency business, he has given to both vocations the same close application and the careful attention to the performance of his duties that have characterized his entire life and which have fixed him firmly in the community where he has lived all his life and labored as a dependable and valuable citizen.

James Woodard was born in Metropolis on May 27th, 1876, and after completing the courses in the city schools he entered the Collegiate Institute at Albion, Ill. Returning to this home city he engaged in the newspaper agency business and built it from a small business to a paying institution. December 3rd, 1912, he opened his present business which is located on Ferry Street. It is an up-to-date confectionary from every stand point and in every sense of the word. it is stocked with all things carried in a high-class Confectionery. The cold drinks served there will quench the most drastic thirsts and you can get most any kind of a cold drink that is on the market today. The creams are properly cared for and properly served. In fact Mr. Woodard specializes on service and his slogan is "Only the Best."

Another thing is connection with Woodard's Confectionery that should be taken notice of by the general public is the fact that they have their own individual receipts for Creams and ices made from pure cream and fruits only. The Pure Food law is strictly enforced at this Confectionery and every customer leaves the chairs or counters satisfied.

This paper is pleased to speak of the Woodard Confectionery and to class it as one of the really substantial business places in Metropolis.


THE WALBRIGHT HOSPITAL
Taken from Massac Journal Republican-Illustrated Industrial Edition, August 10, 1916
Submitted by Norma Jean Huss

An institution of which the citizens of this city and county and the public generally may well feel proud is none other than the well known Walbright Hospital, located in the central part of the city.

The building-a large and handsome two story structure, built of brick underneath of which a large, roomy basement has but recently been completed, was orginally the property of the Mulkey estate, and was at one time the home of Judge John H. Mulkey, deceased, one of the most prominent lawyers of Southern Illinois, who together with his family lived there for many years.

The property was purchased by Dr. Geo W. Walbright, a leading and successful physician of this city, who at a considerable expense converted the big building into a hospital with all modern fixtures and equipment added that usually go to perfect an up-to-date establishment.

Since the above institution was established in this city hundreds of patients have been received into the hospital for treatment and at times the head physician, Dr. Walbright, Matron Ward, and the attendant nurses have been sorely taxed in ministering to the wants and requirements of the large number of patients.

The hospital is in charge and presided over by Matron Ward, a well known lady of this city who is a professional nurse of experience and ability. Matron Ward has been connected with the hospital from its beginning and is not only a splendid nurse, but a woman of refined taste and intelligence, popular, well liked by all who know her, and well fitted to meet the requirements of the position she holds.

There are 25 beds in the Walbright Hospital. They are arranged in large cool, well ventilated roomy apartment, the sanitary conditions of which are perfect. Since the commencement of the big bridge across the Ohio at Metropolis a large number of patients employees of the Bridge Company have been received into the Walbright hospital for treatment, by Dr. Walbright, who is the company physician for the P.& I.R.R., U.B. and A.B. Companies.

Dr. Walbright has practiced his profession in this city for a number of years with unvarying success. That success is due to the fact that he is fully abreast of his profession, keeping well informed as to new methods of treatment, etc., to his untiring industry, and to his sympathetic nature and the ease with which he makes friends and with the confidence of his patients.

Back to Newspaper Articles

Back to Massac County Homepage

Copyright © 2000-2001, by Debbie Woolard. All rights reserved.

Copyright includes all contents of this site and does not extend to any other entity. It may not be quoted or retransmitted without a full citation to the author, and may not be put into print--in whole or part--without the individual author's express permission. Submitters retain all copyright, along with the hosts.