Articles from Illustrated Industrial Edition

The Massac Journal Republican

WILSON PLANT LOCATED

Taken from The Massac Journal-Republican:Volune 51-No. (Section 2) (Pages 9-16)
The Illustrated Industrial Edition
Thursday, August, 10, 1916
Submitted by Norma Jean Huss

The Wilson Stove Factory Will Be Moved From Valley Park,
Missouri, To Metropolis-Employs 500 Men.

James Wilson, James R. Wilson, and S.H. Long, all of St. Louis and representing the Wilson Stove Manufacturing Company, arrived in the city Monday to confer with representatives of the city of Metropolis, and the Metropolis Commercial Club, also representatives of the C., B. & Q. and I.C. Railroad companies relative to the location of the Wilson Stove Manufacturing Company in Metropolis.

The conference resulted in the Wilson Stove Company agreeing to move their plant from Valley Park, Mo., to Metropolis, if the city will furnish free cost to them 14 acres of land suitable for their needs as a factory site and erect upon the site a factory building, according to plans and specifications, tentatively agreed upon. And as a further consideration that the two railroad companies give a written assurance that they will furnish trackage and switches to accommodate the factory, and that assurance be had from the Arrow Transportation Co. to give a satisfactory rate for the delivery of pig iron to the factory.

The railroad companies have the matter of trackage and switches under consideration and we are assured that ample provisions will be made to handle the factory's business.

Mr. James Helson, the local representative of the Arrow Transportation Co., at once took up the matter of freight rates on pig iron with his company and a satisfactory adjustment is expected soon.

The city and Commercial Club have tendered 14 acres on the south side of Mrs. Miller's farm to the Wilson people and they are highly pleased with it for a factory site. At the main line of the Burlington touches the east side of this tract of land. It is only a few blocks from the Union Depot site and is practically in town. Upon this site the city and Commercial Club will erect the building asked by the Wilson people. The building will be connected with the city light and water system, but the factory will pay for lights and water services at the regular rate. The city will also build a good roadway from the city to the plant.

The Commercial Club has taken an option of 33 acres of land north of the city, known as the McBane tract and will have this land platted and sell the lots. The tract will make 240 lots exclusive of streets and alleys. If the 240 lots can be sold at an average of $200 per lot, they will bring $48,000.

The cost of the proposition is itemized as follows:
Fourteen acres of land $2,800
Factory Building 30,000
McBane tract of land 12,500
Cost of platting and selling 2,500
Total Amount $47,800

The committee having the matter in charge will work on the plans in detail and report to the Commercial Club. If the Club approves the plans, a public meeting will be called and the matter of securing the factory will then be squarely up to the people of the community.

The plant is worth the very best effort we can make. In addition to the stove factory and foundry work, they expect to establish a steel refrigerator factory which will be equal to if not greater than the stove foundry.

The Simmons Hardware Co. of St. Louis will maintain a warehouse service here to handle the stove factory output and stove sundries. All in all, it promises to be bigger than anything we have here and will add a thousand or more to our population.

If it is at all possible to finance this proposition, we cannot afford to let it get away from us. Let everybody help.


STEAMER COWLING

Taken from The Massac Journal-Republican:Volune 51-No. (Section 2) (Pages 9-16)
The Illustrated Industrial Edition
Thursday, August, 10, 1916
Submitted by Norma Jean Huss

The Steamer George Cowling, a Metropolis owned boat, is one of the most popular on the Ohio. Capt. E.J. Cowling is owner and Captain of the boat. John Brady is clerk and Mr. Berryman is the pilot and Chas. Dassing, engineer. All of whom live in Metropolis, These gentlemen are courteous and attentive to all duties, hence the Cowling does a splendid business and is one of the most reliable boats on the western waters. The Cowling makes two round trips to Paducah daily, leaving Metropolis at 7:45 a.m. and 1:30 p.m., leaving Paducah at 11: a.m. and 4:30 p.m. This schedule is conveniently arranged for those making quick trips to Paducah and return.

Mr. E.J. Cowling is closely affiliated and identified with the leading interests of Metropolis and is Vice-President of the First National Bank. He is one of our most progressive citizens and delights in the growth and prosperity of this city. The Jouranl-Republican is pleased to have him and his popular boat represented in the big Industrial edition of this paper. 


THE STEAMER RAPIDS

Taken from The Massac Journal-Republican:Volune 51-No. (Section 2) (Pages 9-16)
The Illustrated Industrial Edition
Thursday, August, 10, 1916
Submitted by Norma Jean Huss

One of the fastest and most popular steamers on the Ohio River is the Steamer Rapids, which runs between Paducah and Cairo. The Rapids leaves Paducah at 8a.m. and returning leaves Cairo at 2:30 p.m. (daily?). The boat passes Metropolis going down about 9 in the morning and returning passes the city about 6:30. The boat runs Sunday and night excursions and there is no more pleasant outing that a trip on the Steamer Rapids. This boat is an especial favorite with Metropolis people and as the famous Hillerman bank of Paducah often furnishes music for dancers the young folks often make the trip.

Fred McCandless, a very popular and obliging gentleman is president. C.I. Van Meter, Secretary and Treasurer; and S.K. Hale, Traffic Manager. Those in charge of the Rapids are Ben Kipler, Master; Marvin Akins, Clerk; E.F. Carroll, Mate; Capt. Fitchner and Capt. Barnes, Pilots; Frank Sedevey, Chief Engineer and Henry Carroll, Watchman. These gentlemen are all courteous and make the voyage an exceedingly pleasant one for all.

Capt. McCandless is now building another boat along the line of the Rapids which will be the fastest boat on the Ohio River. This new boat will be named for the Captain's daughter Dorothy, and will run between Paducah and Elizabethtown.


MORGAN MAY'S GARAGE
Upper Market Street, Metropolis
When you see this man think of the best cars.
You can't a-Ford not to have a Ford.

MORGAN MAY

Taken from The Massac Journal-Republican:Volune 51-No. (Section 2) (Pages 9-16)
The Illustrated Industrial Edition
Thursday, August, 10, 1916
Submitted by Norma Jean Huss

Presenting as it does a worthy example to the rising generation, the life of Morgan May of Metropolis, which from early boyhood has been one of assiduous, industry, untiring energy and unquestioned integrity, is well deserving of being sketched, however briefly in this big illustrated industrial edition of the Journal-Republican.

Being handicapped when a small boy by being forced to work, thus neglecting his schooling, he was possessed of untiring perseverance. He secured what schooling he could and worked on a farm until quite a young man. Some eighteen years ago he moved to Metropolis from Round Knob, this county, where he was born of the 22nd day of June, 1862. When he first came here he worked for the International Harvester Company as agent. Two years later he began working a saw mill and later secured a position with Stephens, the plumber and worked for him seven years. It was then that he established his present ---tive business, that of Garage and agency for the Ford automobiles and accessories. His garage and sales room are located on Upper Market Street. Mr. May is one who can be truly classed as a self-made man. He has worked hard all his life and is just now beginning to get the fruits of his labors. He has an up-to-date garage and does all kinds of repair work. He has sold a large number of Ford cars in Massac County and has many more good prospects. He is one of those honest, straightforward business men, the kind that benefit any community.

Mr. May married to Miss Louisa Seilbeck of this city in 1894 and one child was sent to the happy couple, Lydia now Mrs. Lydia Miller. He holds membership in the Methodist church and is a moral man in every sense of the word. He is strong advocate of boosting for Metropolis. He wants to see the city grow. He is willing to do his full part toward that end. He sees the great good that is sure to result from this special edition stunt of the Journal-Republican, hence his co-operation with us.

As everyone knows, the Ford car is the universal car, the car for service and the car whose price is now within the reach of all. If you ever contemplate the purchase of a car, don't hesitate, but see Morgan May and get a Ford. It will give you service, it will give you satisfaction when the others all fail.


THE PUGH STORES COMPANY

Taken from The Massac Journal-Republican:Volune 51-No. (Section 2) (Pages 9-16)
The Illustrated Industrial Edition
Thursday, August, 10, 1916
Submitted by Norma Jean Huss

It is with extreme pleasure that the Journal-Republican presents to its thousands of readers this week the Pugh Stores Co., which is beyond any question, one of the largest and most comprehensive merchandise establishment in Southern Illinois. It occupies the mammoth five-story building on Upper Market Street and handles everything for mankind.

The Pugh Stores was originally the property of J.H. Cagle, the hustling and energetic business man who has made a fine reputation in Metropolis. Last year Mr. Cagle erected the five story brick business block and opened with the larges stock in Massac County. A short time ago he sold the entire business to the Pugh Stores Co., a Chicago corporation. He was retained as general manager and he is kept constantly on the jump. He is forced to be in the Chicago office about half his time.

This store is a revelation in merchandising in Metropolis. There is not another sotre so complete in this section of the state. It handles most everything and a glimpse of the full page ad elsewhere in this paper will give you some ideas of its magnitude.

The store employs about thirty people and is divided into departments. During Mr. Cagle's absence in Chicago the store is in charge of his bother E.M. Cagle and Mrs. J.H. Cagle.

Mr. Cagle was united in Marriage to Miss Rhoda Smith in 1898 and two children have been born the happy couple ---- Smith, 17 years and Reba, 11 years. He is and has always been one of the genuine boosters and friends of Metropolis. He never fails to respond to any call for help which has the benefit of the city at stake. He knows the city is going ahead and he is doing his part by co-operating with Journal-Republican in issuing this splendid industrial edition.

The Pugh Stores Co., is one of the principal assets in a material way of Metropolis and Massac County.

Advertisement

The largest merchandise building in Southern Illinois. Basement 40x80ft., fifty foot fronting on Market street, occupied by a modern, up-to-date bakery; baking done exclusively for our own trade. Thirty foot room at rear of basement taken up by heavy provisions and supplies for meat market.

First floor, front room, facing Seventh Street, contains business offices and grocery department, sales room for bakery goods, and modern, up-to-date meat market. At rear, facing 7th street, is the receiving room for freight, and here is also the storage room and warehouse for groceries, etc. Elevator shaft reaching from basement to fifth floor.

Second floor-Ladies' and gent' furnishing goods front room, with ladies' rest room in connection at rear, and an excellent café has been added recently for the accommodation of our many customers and friends.

Third floor-Here will be found our big 5 and 10 cent department, front room; the rear part of building being taken up by the harness and Hardware department.

Fourth floor-The front part of fourth floor is taken up with furniture, stoves, rugs, etc., and at rear of same is a large wareroom used as storage room for the entire building.

Seventh and Market Streets

The object of the Pugh Stores Company-a chain of stores in eleven central states-is to bring the customer in close touch with the producer and manufacturer, at one small profit between the two.

CAGLE SAYS COME!!!

Back to Newspaper Articles

Back to Massac County Homepage

Copyright © 2000-2001, by Debbie Woolard. All rights reserved.

Copyright includes all contents of this site and does not extend to any other entity. It may not be quoted or retransmitted without a full citation to the author, and may not be put into print--in whole or part--without the individual author's express permission. Submitters retain all copyright, along with the hosts.