McDonough County Biographies

 

 
 

 

 

Andrew J. Bacon, MD


Dr. A. J. Bacon was born in McDonough Co., Ill., Sept. 23, 1836; received a common-school education; reared on a farm until he was 21 years old, when he began reading medicine; in the winter of 1859-60 attended the Eclectic Medical College of Cincinnati, O.; in March, 1860, he began the practice of medicine, locating in Ipava, where he remained one year, and then removed to Table Grove, where he has since practiced with good success. He graduated at the Rush Medical College in Chicago in 1865. He married, in 1857, Miss M. Durham, by whom he had one daughter, Carrie, now the wife of John Leonard, of this place. Mrs. Bacon died in 1860, and Mr. B. married again May 4, 1863, and they have one child, Nellie, now 13 years of age. Mr. Bacon's father, Charles Bacon, was one of the first settlers in McDonough county, and like others, suffered many hardships and privations in paving the way for the future prosperity of their family.


Note: 1st wife, Mariam Durham married February 25, 1858 Fulton County, Illinois. Second wife was Martha Miner, married May 04, 1865 Fulton County, Illinois.
 

[History of Fulton County, Illinois; together with Sketches of its Cities, Villages and Townships, Educational, Religious, Civil, Military, and Political History; Portraits of Prominent Persons and Biographies of Representative Citizens. Chas. C. Chapman & Co., Peoria, Illinois, 1879, page 651, Farmers' Township]

Submitted by Sara Hemp


 
 
Evan B. Baily, MD

Baily, Evan B. - An instance of the call of the country rising above the din of the city and the more rapid compensation of one of the learned professions is found in the return to nature of Dr. Evan Baily, owner of a 240 acre tract on section 13, Bernadotte Township. Dr. Baily comes of farming stock, and his first years were spent among agriculture surroundings in El Dorado Township, McDonough County, Ill. were he was born March 9, 1865. On the paternal side he is of German ancestry, a son of Thomas and grandson of Evan Baily, the latter of whom came from Ohio to Vermont Township, Fulton County, at a very early day, where his son Thomas was born, reared and finally married Nancy Battenburg. After his marriage Thomas Baily removed to McDonough County, Ill., where his wife died in 1892, and whence he removed to Table Grove, Fulton County, his present home.

The educational advantages of Dr. Baily consisted of the district schools and the high school at Macomb, and after graduating from the latter he returned to the home farm, where he remained until attaining his majority. In 1889 he entered the office of R. W. Baily, a dental practitioner of Macomb, and the following year took a course at the Chicago College of Dental Surgery, graduating therefrom in the class of 1890. In the meantime the elder Dr. Baily had opened an office in Omaha, Neb., and with him Dr. Evan B. practiced during his vacation, in the fall locating in Vermont., Ill., where he practiced dentistry for five years. He next located in Fairfield, Wayne County, Ill., where he maintained and added to his former success, but in 1903, selling out his business, removed with his family to Chicago. Two years later (1905) he came to his present farm, and now is engaged in stock-raising, having on hand a large number of cattle, horses, hogs and sheep.

September 17, 1891, Mr. Baily married Lizzie A. Branson, who was born at Ipava, Fulton County, November 22, 1868, a daughter of William T. Branson, one of the honored pioneers of Fulton County, of whom mentioned may be found elsewhere in his work. Dr. and Mrs. Baily have two children, of whom Anna Maurine was born in Vermont Township, July 25, 1892 and Evan B. in Fairfield, Wayne Co., September 2, 1900. Dr. Baily is a Republican in politics, and fraternally is connected with the Knights of Pythias, the Modern Woodmen of America and the Royal Neighbors. With his wife he is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, of Ipava. The Doctor has made a success of both dentistry and farming, and in either occupation would be sure of an excellent livelihood. He is a man of broad outlook, progressive mind and large capacity for painstaking industry.

[Historical Encyclopedia of Illinois, Illustrated 1908, and the History of Fulton County, by Newton Bateman, LL.D. and Paul Selby, A.M., Edited by Jesse Hevlin, page 776]
 
 Submitted by Michael Frizell
 

 
S.S. Chapman
 
Sidney Smith Chapman was born near the mouth of Black river on Lake Erie, in the vicinity of Amherst, Ohio, Nov. 12, 1827, and is the son of Jacob Kimble and Julia (Griffith) Chapman. The great-grandfather of Jacob K. was Benjamin Chapman, who lived in England. He had 3 sons: Benjamin, jr., James and John. They left their father and went to different countries in Europe. The first named went to France, James went to Ireland and John to Scotland. At an advanced age Benjamin, sr., died, leaving a large fortune to his sons. Benjamin, jr., was informed of this fact, and before he returned from France the entire estate had been confiscated by the English Government. Benjamin then came to the U. S. and landed in South Carolina. After this James returned from Ireland, and John came some years later to the U. S. and stopped near Salem, Mass., and was there during the period of the witchcraft and persecution. John had 13 children, of whom Isaac and Adam, the youngest, are the only ones now remembered. Adam 3 years ago lived in Ohio at the age of 95, Isaac, the grandfather of Sidney S. had 5 sons and 3 daughters, Uriah, Elenius, Daniel, Isaac and Jacob, twins, Roxy, Olive and Rebecca. Daniel now lives in Pawnee Co., Kansas, at the age of 84 years. Jacob K., the last mentioned, was the father of our subject, and was born in New York in 1803. Isaac, sr., moved from Mass. to Cataraugus Co., N. Y., where Uriah and Daniel married; the former had one son named Elenius, and died: his widow now lives in N. Y. Elenius, sr., died in N. Y., and Daniel, Isaac and Jacob K. moved to Ohio, where the latter married in 1825 or '26, and went to farming. In the spring of 1832 or '33 he took his carpet-sack upon his back and started on foot and alone through the thick forests of Ohio and Ind., and came to Ft. Dearborn, now Chicago. He rested there 2 days and proceeded to Jackson Co., Mo. He remained there 6 weeks, when he started back the same road he went and reached his home in the fall, after traveling 1,400 miles. In the spring of 1838 he started with his family to Illinois, but stopped in Ind., until 1839, when he again started and finally landed in Hancock Co., Ill., in 1840 or '41. In 1845 his wife died, and in 1846 he moved to Wisconsin, nd in '47 to Ohio, and in 1854 to Macomb, Ill., where he lived one year, when he again returned to Wis., and in '68 to Ohio, where, Jan. 15, 1870, in Claridon, he died. His children were Sidney, Franklin, Albert B., Corydon C., Willard D., Orson, Barbara and Sarah: all are living save Willard, who was killed in the Rebellion. Our subject's grandparents on his mother's side were Germans.
S. S. remained in Ohio until he was 10 years old, when he came to Illinois with his parents. When they went to Wisconsin he was sick with the "chills" and did not go. In Aug., 1845, he went to Macomb, where with the exception of a season upon a farm a few miles east of that city and one year at Bardolph in the same county, he lived till 1868. On Nov. 3 of that year he moved to Vermont, this county, and in 1872 to Chicago, and returned to this county, locating in Astoria, in 1876. His father was a mechanic, and labored at ship-carpentering. He also adopted the life of a mechanic, and has been engaged at almost all the trades at different times, and as a mechanic possesses an ingenious mind. During the years he lived at Chicago and for several years previously, he was engaged in contracting and building, at which business he is now employed. He enjoyed but limited advantages to obtain an education, the early years of his life being passed upon the frontier at hard labor.

 
He was united in marriage with Rebecca Jane Clarke, March 30, 1848. She was the daughter of David and Eliza Swink (Russell) Clarke, and was born in Kentucky Nov. 20, 1829. Her parents were pioneers of this State. The former was born Sept. 28, 1799, and the latter July 3, 1805, both in Ky., and she died Sept. 18, 1875. There were born to S. S. and Rebecca J. Chapman 10 children: Frank M., born Jan. 1, '49; Emma E., Oct. 24, '50; Chas. C., July 2, '53; Eliza H., Feb. 21, '55, died Sept. 13, '60; David E., Feb. 6, '57; Christopher C., Aug. 23, '58; Wm. D., Feb. 4, '61, deceased Dec. 30, '61; Samuel J., Oct. 22, '62; Dollie E., Aug. 14, '64, and Luella, May 22, '70. All of them were born at Macomb save Columbus and Luella, the former of whom was born at Bardolph and the latter at Vermont. Mrs. Rebecca Chapman died suddenly on the evening of Jan. 2, 1874, in Chicago, and was laid at rest in the cemetery at Macomb. Sidney S. was again married Dec. 30, 1875, to Ann Eliza Clarke, a sister of his former wife. Two children, Ira and an infant, have been born to them. Emma E. married L. W. B. Johnson Dec. 18, 1873, and now resides in Kansas.

[History of Fulton County, Illinois; together with Sketches of its Cities, Villages and Townships, Educational, Religious, Civil, Military, and Political History; Portraits of Prominent Persons and Biographies of Representative Citizens. Chas. C. Chapman & Co., Peoria, Illinois, 1879, page 425-426, Astoria Township]
 
 Submitted by Sara Hemp
 

 

Manning W. Cochrane
 
COCHRANE, Manning West, motor trucks; born, Bushnell, ILL., Mar. 22, 1868; son of Thomas and Hannah M. (Hartman) Cochrane; educated in public schools and attended Tabor College, Tabor, Ia.; married, Lincoln, Neb., Feb. 7, 1894, Olive Ethel Moore; children: Dorothy (deceased), Ruth. Associated in grain business with father at Lincoln, 1888-1902; came to St. Louis as representative of father's business in 1902 and in 1903 was made a partner in the firm under style of Cochrane Grain Co., being the resident partner until 1910; now manager Cochrane Motor Sales Co. Member St. Louis Merchants' Exchange (president, 1910). Methodist. Mason. Office: 1820 Locust St. Residence: 5109 Kingston Ave.
 
[Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912]
 
Transcribed by Charlotte Slater
 
 

 
Dr. William C. Cecil
 
Dr. Wm. C. Cecil, the oldest practicing physician in Stark, Neosho county, is numbered among the eastern men of the craft who cast their lot with Kansas during the "era of settlement," just before 1880, and has consequently been one of its citizens for twenty-two years. In October, 1879, he located in Merrill, Brown county, where he early took a leading position as a  successful physician and skillful surgeon. The suddenness with which he built up a practice was a surprise and an astonishment to the old established of the profession and so long as he remained in northern Kansas he was one of the best known doctors in Brown county.
 
Our subject was born in Hancock county, Illinois, November 5, 1850. He came to manhood's estate upon a farm in McDonough county, that state, and acquired his education in the common schools. At twenty years of age he left the parental roof, temporarily, to prepare for the business of life. He chose medicine for his calling and, as a preliminary to his college course, read with Dr. W. D. Wade, of Plymouth, Illinois. He took lectures in the Eclectic Medical College, of Cincinnati, and graduated in that institution in 1875. His first location for practice was at Basco, Illinois, where the task of building up a creditable practice was easily accomplished. He continued his residence at this point till the year he came to Kansas. Fresh from college and with the prestige of four years successful practice rendered it only a matter of a short period when he should possess an enviable position in the professional world in his new location. In 1888 he made his third and final location, in the little new town of Stark on the Missouri, Kansas & Texas railroad. His rank here is second to none of his cotemporaries and he enjoys the full confidence of a wide circle of friends in Neosho and adjoining counties. He is a gentleman of business sense, with high regard for the ethics of the profession, and with friendly and pleasing address. The position of pension examiner has been twice tendered him but his duty to his patrons made it necessary for him to refuse the offer.
 
At the age of fourteen years Dr. Cecil acquired a desire to enter the volunteer army and made one or more ineffectual attempts to do so, being balked by parental blockade. Finally he took the matter into his own hands and "ran away," enlisting January 4, 1865, in the 148th Illinois infantry, Company H. He was sent to Tennessee where his company did guard duty at Chattanooga and other points till the close of hostilities. In May, 1865, he was discharged from the service and is believed to be now the youngest "old soldier" in the state of Kansas. Doctor Cecil's father served one year in Company K, 47th Illinois volunteers and his older brother, Henry A. Cecil, saw hard service for four years in Company G, 72nd Illinois regiment. 
 
The subject of this review is a son of Reuben Cecil and Frances (Fortner) Cecil, the former twain being natives of North Carolina, and being married in Illinois. Mr. Cecil, Sr., went into the Prairie State in an early day and reared his family in Hancock and McDonough counties. Dr. W. C. Cecil was his fourth child. The latter married Miss Sarah E. Robinson in 1868 in Hancock county, Illinois, and has reared three children, a daughter and two sons, the former being Lena, wife of C. H. Burris, of Kincaid, Kansas, and the latter two being Ralph and Hugh Cecil who are still under the parental roof.
 
[Source: History of Neosho and Wilson Counties, Kansas, Pub. by L. Wallace Duncan, Fort Scott, Kansas, Monitor Printing Co., 1902]
 
Transcribed by VB
 
 

 
L.G. Davis

L. G. DAVIS, banker; stockgrower; breeder of thoroughbred Hereford cattle (Rep.); b. July 25, 1865, Prairie City, Ills.; s. of William K. and Maria (Deffenbaugh) Davis; educ. pub. schls. Of Pennsylvania and Kansas; res. Illinois 1865-70; in Penns., 1870-2; in Kansas, 1872-80; located in Wyoming, 1880, and rode the range in southern Wyoming until 1885; engaged in ranching on North Platte river (same location) since 1885; has been extensive interested in the breeding of pure-bred Hereford cattle since 1901; secy.-treas. Western Breeders’ Assn., Denver, 1901-2; director, Saratoga, Wyo., State Bank since 1898; v-pres. Carbon State Bank, Hanna, Wyo., 1909-14; appt. captain Troop H, Torrey’s Rough Riders, Spanish-American war, 1898-9; mem. First Wyoming State H. of Rep., 1890-2; sheriff Carbon county, Wyoming, 1895-8; mem. Wyo. State Senate, 1901-5; supervisor Medicine Bow National Forest, Wyo., and Colorado., 1903-7; U. S. Marshal for Wyoming, 1907-12; mem. K. of P.; Elks; mem. American Hereford Cattle Breeders’ Assn. Address: Saratoga, Wyoming.
 
[Source: Men of Wyoming, By C. S. Peterson, Publ 1915]
 
Transcribed by Anna Parks
 
 


J. A. Doty

Joseph A. Doty was born in McDonough County, Illinois, January 10, 1864. His parents moved to Johnson County, Missouri, when he was two years old, but owing to the unsettled condition and lawlessness that existed there after the close of the war, the Doty family moved to Clark County, Iowa. Here young Doty worked on his father’s farm and attended school, having to walk a mile and a half to reach the schoolhouse. In 1877 his parents removed to Osborne County, Kansas, where Joseph grew to manhood, and in the year 1883 was wedded to Miss Laura A. Beck. In the fall of 1887 he landed in Southwest City, Missouri, a stranger in a strange land. He soon made acquaintances and friends, and determined to case his lot with the people of McDonald county, and make Southwest City his permanent home.

Just after the election in the fall of 1888 Mr. Doty conceived the idea of establishing a Republican paper in the county and set about to secure a plant. The latter part of December, 1888, a small printing outfit was purchased, and on January 10, 1889, the first issue of the Enterprise was printed. This was the first Republican paper published in the county and, as the party was unorganized, it was predicted by many that the paper would soon suspend as it would not be able to secure the proper support to make it a success. It certainly did look like a rash venture, right in Democracy’s stronghold, but under the guiding hand of Mr. Doty the Enterprise continued to grow, and today is one of the leading papers in Southwest Missouri. The success of the paper is due to his able management. He has ever been a faithful exponent of Republican principles, at the same time avoiding offensive matter, so that persons of all parties took pleasure in reading his paper.
Mr. Doty has twice been elected Mayor of Southwest City, and holds that position at the present time. In 1894 he was prominently mentioned for State Senator from the 15th District of Missouri.
 
("History of McDonald County, Missouri", by Judge J. A. Sturges, 1897)

 




 


BACK                         HOME

 
 

 

Visitors To This Site

 

 

© Copyright Genealogy Trails

All data on this website is copyrighted by Genealogy Trails with full rights reserved for original submitters.