Charles Bryant Edmonson
Chas. B. Edmonson, farmer and blacksmith, sec. 10; P. O., Ellisville; was born in Jackson county, Nov. 29, 1827. He was brought to this county, in 1830, by his parents, who first settled upon Totten's Prairie. They now reside in McDonough county. Mr. E. enlisted Aug. 12, 1862, in Co. D, 103d Ill. Inf., to help defend our dear old flag and maintain a united country. He was transferred to the Veteran Reserve Corps; was sick for a year. He has had the misfortune to have both legs broken, - one October 12, 1865, by a saw-log, the other Nov. 10, 1876, by being kicked by a cow. He was married June 5, 1870, to Rebecca Dyckman, native of Deerfield, Two girls and one boy have blessed the union.
[History of Fulton County, Illinois; together with Sketches of its Cities, Villages and Townships, Educational, Religious, Civil, Military, and Political History; Portraits of Prominent Persons and Biographies of Representative Citizens. Chas. C. Chapman & Co., Peoria, Illinois, 1879, page 605, Deerfield Township - Submitted by Sara Hemp]
Charles Bryant Edmonson is a fine representative of the veterans of the late war who did such valuable service in defense of the Union. He is the oldest settler now living in Deerfield Township, with whose agricultural interests he is connected, and he is held in genuine respect by the entire community. Our subject is a son of one of the earliest pioneers of this county, John S. Edmonson, who was born in North Carolina, November 1, 1800. He married Feredic Lackey, who was born in South Carolina, February 8, 1808. They came to Fulton County in 1830, being among the first settlers of Bernadotte Township, then moved to Smithfield, this county, where they stayed about two years. They then moved to Deerfield Township, and for many years were active in its pioneer labors, having their home on section 2. In 1864 they took up their residence in Walnut Grove, McDonough County, and from there went to Good Hope, in the same county, where the father died August 12, 1887, at a ripe old age. The mother of our subject is still living. He of whom we write is the oldest son of thirteen children, and he was born in Jackson County, Ala., November 29, 1827. In the month of March, 1848, he started out in life for himself, and the ensuing two years was engaged in learning the trade of a blacksmith with John Shuver at Lewistown. At the expiration of that time, having acquired a thorough mastery of his calling, he did journey work for eight months at Knoxville. Returning to his old home he opened a smithy of his own on section 2, Deerfield Township, and was actively engaged as a blacksmith till 1862. In that year Mr. Edmonson laid aside all personal considerations to take part in the war. He enlisted in Company D, One Hundred and Third Illinois Infantry, and was with his regiment until January 1864. He was then transferred to the reserve corps and continued with it until June 29, 1865, when he was honorably discharged from the army, having faithfully performed his duties as a brave, patriotic and efficient soldier, whether in camp or on the field of battle.
After he left the army, our subject returned to a farm of his own on section 3, Deerfield Township, and for two years carried on his trade while managing his farm. He added forty acres to his homestead, the latter purchase being located on section 10, where he now resides. He kept house for himself from the time he returned from the South, till by his marriage, June 5, 1870, with Rebecca Dykeman, he secured the valuable assistance of one who knows well how to manage household affairs and has looked carefully after his comfort ever since. Mrs. Edmonson was born June 15, 1851, in Deerfield Township, and she is a daughter of Richard and Sarah (Leeper) Dykeman, natives respectively of Indiana and Ohio. The fruit of her marriage with our subject is four children Charles F., Minnie E., John A., and Frank M.
Our subject has a fine farm of one hundred and fifteen acres of which seventy-five acres are under good cultivation. It is well-stocked with cattle, horses and hogs of good grades, as our subject engages in general farming, and the buildings are neat and well arranged.
At one time, our subject took considerable interest in politics and was active in such matters, and he still votes with the Republican party. He is interested in the welfare of the township which has been his home for so many years, and for two years he did good service as Road Commissioner. He is a man of high religious character, and in him the Cumberland Presbyterian Church finds one of its most useful members, and he takes part in the Union Sunday-School near by.
[Portrait and Biographical Album of Fulton County, Illinois: containing full page portraits and biographical sketches of prominent and representative citizens of the county: together with portraits and biographies of all the presidents of the United States, and governors of the state; Biographical Pub. Co., Chicago, IL; 1890; page 404]
Transcribed by Margaret Rose Whitehurst
A. C. Epperson
A. C. Epperson, engaged in law practice at Clay Center (Nebraska), where his ability ranks him with the leading attorneys, was born in McDouough County, Illinois, November 18, 1870, his parents being John L. and Sarah (Rine) Epperson, the former a native of Tippecanoe county, Indiana, while the latter was born in Franklin County, Pennsylvania. In early life the father became a resident of Illinois and devoted his early manhood to teaching school. He afterward became a station agent and telegraph operator and devoted his time and energy to work of that character from 1870 until 1880. In the latter year he removed to Clay county, Nebraska, settling on a farm, but took up the practice of law when well advanced in years. He practiced at Fairfield and at Clay Center, and in 1888 was elected to the office of county attorney, filling that position for two years. At a subsequent period he was again elected and for a second term. Both he and his wife passed away in Clay county, where they were regarded as representative and valued citizens. They had a family of three children: Martha, the wife of George Gaumer, a retired farmer living in Scotts Bluff; Charles H., a prominent member of the bar at Fairfield; and A. C., of this review. Both parents were faithful members of the Christian church and Mr. Epperson also belonged to the Masonic fraternity, loyally following the teachings of the craft. His political allegiance was given to the republican Party. At the time of the Civil war he joined Company L of the Seventh Illinois Cavalry, of which his brother, S. A. Epperson, was serving as captain and later was promoted to the rank of major. Mr. Epperson was with the army for more than a year and participated in the battle of Shiloh.
It is always interesting to know something of the ancestral record of an individual, for much is indicated concerning the qualities that are displayed in later generations. The paternal grandfather of A. C. Epperson was James H. Epperson, a native of Kentucky, who, removing to the west, resided in Clay county for a number of years and here passed away at the venerable age of eighty-seven, his death occurring on the 30th of September, 1898. The maternal grandfather of Mr. Epperson was Isaac Rine, a native of Pennsylvania, who went to Nebraska and finally took up his abode in Nuckolls county, where he departed this life. Previously, however, he had made his way westward and in the early ‘80’s became a resident of Saline county.
A. C. Epperson was educated in the public schools and the law department of the State University and his life has been that of a busy and successful lawyer. For years he has now practiced law, devoting the greater part of his time to his professional duties; but has also become a director of the Citizens’ Bank of Fairfield and is interested with Sydney W. Smith of Omaha in a large apple orchard in the state of Washington.
In February, 1891, Mr. Epperson was united in marriage to Miss Blanche Haylett, a native of Adams county, Iowa, and a daughter of Jacob and Mattie (Ruble) Haylett, natives of England and of Iowa, respectively. The father was a blacksmith and farmer and served in the navy during the Civil war. To Mr. and Mrs. Epperson have been born three children: Charles H., who is a graduate of the State University and now a law partner of his father; Mildred, the wife of Doctor Gartrell, a practicing osteopath of Clay Center, Nebraska; and Kathryn, the wife of Evan Jenkins, a merchant of White City, Kansas. Mr. and Mrs. Epperson belong to the Christian church and he has taken the degrees of the Masonic lodge and the fourteenth degree of the Scottish Rite. He served as a master of his lodge in Clay Center and was grand master of the state in 1918-19. He likewise belongs to the Knights of Pythias. His political endorsement has always been given to the republican party since age conferred upon him the right of franchise and for eight years he served as county attorney of Clay county, and he was also a member of the supreme court commission of the state from 1906 until 1909. His has been a very active and useful life, one that is far-reaching and beneficial, for the results achieved are such as uphold the legal status of the community and further all that tends to higher standard in citizenship.
[Source: "History of Hamilton and Clay Counties, Nebraska"; Supervising Editors George L. Burr, O.O. Buck ; Compiled by Dale P. Stough By George L. Burr, O. O. Buck, Dale P. Stough (Published 1921) pages 171-172; MZ]
Submitted by FoFG
James G. German
James G. German was born in Cass township, Fulton Co., Feb., 22, 1853, and is the son of James and Mahala (Cannon) German, the former a native of Kentucky, and died Jan. 17, 1862; the latter is living in McDonough Co., Ill. The elder German was one of the first settlers of Totten's Prairie in Cass tp. Our subject received a good education at Lewistown, and is engaged in farming with Mr. Eli E. Smith in Harris tp.; P. O., New Philadelphia.
[History of Fulton County, Illinois; together with Sketches of its Cities, Villages and Townships, Educational, Religious, Civil, Military, and Political History; Portraits of Prominent Persons and Biographies of Representative Citizens. Chas. C. Chapman & Co., Peoria, Illinois, 1879, page 700-701, Harris Township]
Submitted by Sara Hemp
George Washington Hobbs
G. W. Hobbs, now living in Mound Township, McDonough County, was one of the early pioneers of this county, who was for many years closely identified with its industrial interests, as one of its most successful farmers and skillful mechanics, and is eminently worthy of a place among its representative men in this Biographical Album.
Mr. Hobbs was born in Maryland, not far from the city of Baltimore, in 1817. When he was a child his parents took him to the pioneer wilds of Jefferson County, Ohio, of which they were early settlers. In his youth he was apprenticed to a blacksmith by the name of James Simeral, and during the term of his apprenticeship received his board and clothes. At the expiration of that time he went to work with a noted mechanic, Joseph Fields, and toiled hard for the meager sum of $2 a month, from which he had to clothe himself and his board. He followed his trade for two years, and then made a trip to New Orleans on the river. He afterward worked in Washington, Pa., the year of the cholera, until all employment was suspended on account of the dreaded disease. In 1834 he came North from New Orleans, whither he had been sojourning, and worked in Georgetown, Ohio, until 1835, when he came to Illinois. He landed at the mouth of the Spoon River, in company with two blacksmiths and two clothiers who had come from Philadelphia.
Mr. Hobbs and Joseph McCoy, who came with him, worked at the blacksmith's business that year in Monmouth. We may mention in this connection that our subject still has the old anvil with which he worked in that place over fifty-five years ago. It had been bought by his father-in-law from a person in the East, and when it was sold with the other effects of the old gentleman, Mr. Hobbs bought it at the rate of twenty cents a pound. It is of English manufacture and is of the best make. Our subject and his partner pursued their calling very profitably at Monmouth, and at the end of the first six months had $106 each. The former very judiciously invested his when he came to Harris Township from Monmouth in the spring of 1836, in a tract of eighty acres of land. He still worked at his calling, however, in the village of Marietta, where he lived, with the exception of the time of his residence in Lewistown during the war, until about nine years ago, when he sold out and removed to his present place of residence in McDonough County. He had three hundred acres of land in Fulton County, and a full section in McDonough County, which he had purchased when it was cheap. He engaged extensively in raising stock and carried on the business in partnership with Mr. Wilson. At the breaking out of the war they had five hundred head of cattle, and as pasture was plentiful and cheap, they made money fast. This county is greatly indebted to our subject for what he did toward improving stock in the early days by the introduction of horses, cattle and hogs of a high grade. He believed in raising none but good stock, and whenever he made a purchase always bought the best in the market.
When Mr. Hobbs came here he had an idea that if he should be able to get forty acres of land he would be well off, and when he obtained eight acres he considered himself quite rich. With characteristic enterprise he decided that he would have an orchard, and he sent to an old Quaker friend to have him send him a lot of fruit trees such as he thought he would want. His friend sent him one hundred apple trees and a variety of pears, which he planted, and they afterward became famous for their fine fruit. From one of his trees our subject often sold as much as $50 worth of fruit each year, and his orchard was regarded as one of the finest in all the country around.
Our subject was married April 20, 1837, to Miss Eliza Humphrey, and their wedded life of more than fifty years duration has been one of great felicity. Mrs. Hobbs is a most excellent woman, of many Christian virtues, and is a true member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. She is a daughter of William Humphrey, of Ohio. His brother, John Humphrey, of Warren County, Ill., was a Colonel in the Black Hawk War. Mr. and Mrs. Hobbs are fine people, and are in every way worthy of the high regard in which they are held by the people among whom they have settled. They have had six children, four sons and two daughters, of whom the following is recorded: George F. was a young married man of thirty-six years when he died, his wife having died before him; John, who is married, owns and occupies a large tract of land which his father purchased in Cass County, Mo.; Jane married James Wallace, a druggist at Lewistown, and they have one daughter; Addison, who bought of his father the old home place of two hundred acres of land lying near Marietta, is married and has two sons and four daughters; Martha married A. J. Franklin, a merchant of Los Angeles, Cal., and they have three children; William, at home, living on the farm near his father, is married and has three children.
["Portrait and Biographical Album of Fulton County, Illinois: containing full page portraits and biographical sketches of prominent and representative citizens of the county: together with portraits and biographies of all the presidents of the United States, and governors of the state;" Biographical Pub. Co., Chicago, IL; 1890; page 265-266]
Transcribed by Margaret Rose Whitehurst
Hiram Horace Harris
Hiram H. Harris; P. O., Table Grove. At 22 years of age this man settled on the northwest quarter of sec. 31, in Farmers' township, - nice rolling prairie. His father, James H., was a native of N. H., and raised in Mass. When he obtained his majority he went to Cayuga Co., N. Y., and from thence to Onondaga Co. While in N. Y. he engaged in farming and salt-manufacture. He emigrated to McDonough Co. in 1834 or '35, where he established the first dairy in McDonough Co. He has since died, leaving many friends to mourn the loss of one so highly esteemed. Our subject, H. H. Harris, owns 529 acres of land and is a leading farmer and stock-raiser in this part of Fulton county. He was married, Aug. 4, '36, to Lydia Rutledge, by whom he had 4 children, of whom 1 is living. Mrs. H. died Nov. 24, 1864; and he was married again, Jan. 8, 1872, this time to Mary E. Robinson, by whom he had 2 children, of whom one is living; the only boy living is Horace B. Mrs. Harris' brother, Benjamin Robinson, came to Illinois in 1849, where he pursued the occupation of tailor successfully until his death, which occurred Feb. 7, 1879.
[History of Fulton County, Illinois; together with Sketches of its Cities, Villages and Townships, Educational, Religious, Civil, Military, and Political History; Portraits of Prominent Persons and Biographies of Representative Citizens. Chas. C. Chapman & Co., Peoria, Illinois, 1879, page 658, Farmers' Township]
Submitted by Sara Hemp
Millard DeWitt Hall
M. D. Hall, sec. 28, Farmers' tp.; P. O., Table Grove; was born in McDonough Co., Jan. 5, 1851, and hence is connected with the history of this part of Illinois. His father is a native of Kentucky, and came to Illinois when but a boy. He still resides on the place he first purchased at Pennington's Point, McDonough Co. Our subject received a common-school education, and has since engaged in farming and stock-raising, in which he has been successful. He was married Oct. 10, 1872, to Clara Dilworth, daughter of James Dilworth, of Vermont, Ill. Mr. D. was among the early settlers of Illinois. Mr. and Mrs. Hall have one child, Willie D.
[History of Fulton County, Illinois; together with Sketches of its Cities, Villages and Townships, Educational, Religious, Civil, Military, and Political History; Portraits of Prominent Persons and Biographies of Representative Citizens. Chas. C. Chapman & Co., Peoria, Illinois, 1879, page 657, Farmers' Township]
Submitted by Sara Hemp
In recalling the labors which have made of this county a region noted for its agricultural resources, we feel a glow of admiration for all who bore a part in the scenes of the early days, and take great pleasure in noting prominent incidents in their lives. One of the early settlers of Farmers Township is the worthy gentleman above name, who has abundantly shown his industry and good judgment by the accumulation of an excellent estate, well supplied with the improvements which make life in the country enjoyable, and add to the value of property. He possesses the hospitable spirit and cordial manners which belong to all natives of the Blue Grass State, and which are also distinguishing characteristics of the pioneers in any sections of the country. Honorable in his dealing, well-informed regarding topics of general interest, and able to relate many an interesting event in connection with the early settlement of the township, his companionship is desirable and his reputation excellent.
The birth of Mr. Hall took place in Washington County, Ky., September 4, 1823, and his residence in Illinois began when he was a youth of fifteen years. At that period in his life he accompanied his parents, Joel and Mary (Clark) Hall, to McDonough County, their home for a few years being in the vicinity of Macomb. In 1843 they removed to Pennington's Point. Three years later our subject was united in marriage with Miss Almeda L. Woods, a capable and efficient woman who has nobly borne her part in building up the prosperity of the family and fitting its younger members for usefulness and honor. The happy union has been blessed by the birth of five children.
The eldest son, Platte, was stricken down within a few days of his majority, and the bright promise of his future swallowed up by death. The older daughter, Mary Cornelia, is the wife of Josiah Hammer, of McDonough County; she has one daughter, Della, who married Frank Harlan, and also has one child. As the mother of Mrs. Hall is yet living, baby Mabel is the fifty generation of females in the family now living. Three of these were born in McDonough County, Mrs. Hall in Erie County, Pa., and Mrs. Woods in the Empire State. A picture representing the five - Mrs. Cornelia Woods, Mrs. Almeda Hall, Mrs. Mary Hammer, Mrs. Della Harlan and little Mabel - is of great interest, not only to the family but to all visitors whom they receive. The second son of our subject and his good wife is Millard DeWitt, who with his wife, son and daughter, resides in Table Grove. In McDonough County lives the youngest son, Leonard Grow, with his wife and one child. The second daughter and fourth child of Mr. and Mrs. Hall is Genevra, wife of Frank Ward, of Table Grove, their family including several children.
Our subject bought the first improved farm of eighty acres in McDonough County. His house was built by himself, he hewing the logs and splitting the shingles, which were of black walnut from his own land, forty acres of which was timber. The house was 16x22 feet in dimensions. A few years after it was constructed Mr. Hall covered it with boards, which were sawed by his brother-in-law in a portable mill on the place. To the original eight acres he added until his estate amounted to two hundred acres, all of which had been reclaimed by himself from its primitive condition, except about thirty acres which was plowed when he purchased it. He resided upon the farm until 1882, when he left it to take possession of a comfortable home in Table Grove. In the early days Mr. Hall hauled wheat to Beardstown, about twenty-five miles distant, and thought himself fortunate when he could get fifty cents per bushel, nearly half of which was consume by the expenses of remaining overnight. The first hogs driven to that place sold for $2 per hundred, which was considered a high price, good dressed pork having previously been disposed of in Macomb for $1.25 per hundred.
The early settlers generally owed all they raised to the neighboring storekeeper, their sole trouble being to turn the products of their farms over to their creditor, the 1st of January being the usual time of settlement. By a special arrangement they sometimes obtained a little money with which to pay taxes. All grain was cut with a cradle, and it was generally tramped out with horses. Mrs. Hall vividly remembers seeing the wheat thrown in a pile, and horses driven around it until the threshing was completed. The first chimneys were of sod built on the outside of the log houses, and all cooking was done at an open fire, except in rare instances.
Mr. Hall is one of four sons and seven daughters born to his parents, all of whom are now living in this section of the State in convenient visiting distance. He is the only Republican in his father's family, but his own sons and sons-in-law belong to the same party as himself.
Salem Woods, the father of Mrs. Hall, emigrated from the Keystone State to McDonough County in 1831, prior to the Black Hawk War, in which father Hall took part. Mr. Woods was a harness-maker in Erie, Pa., and having traded for a piece of land somewhere in the West, started on foot to look up his new estate. He made his way over the mountains and through the wilderness to the vicinity in which he supposed his land to be, but was then at a loss to locate it. He heard a rooster crow, and going whence the sound came, found the home of Stewart Pennington, who helped him to locate the land, of which he had a plat and description. He then returned to the East and brought his wife and family, the journey being made in a wagon. The boards from the roof of his wagon were used as a door to the first house he built on his farm. This home was of logs, notched and fastened to the sleepers with wooden pins, no nails being used in its construction. The floor was of split logs. Mr. Woods has the first cook stove in the county, it being shipped from the East to Chicago, whither it was brought in a wagon by the owner and Harvey Harris. An old fashioned chest with a lid, which was made to ship goods in, is still preserved in the family.
Mrs. Hall is the only daughter of her parents, but they have likewise four sons. One of these, Edward, was born in this State, and still lives on the farm on which he first saw the light. Mr. Woods was an Abolitionist of the deepest dye, and he and his children naturally became Republicans. They are of the Universalist faith.
[Portrait and Biographical Album of Fulton County, Illinois: containing full page portraits and biographical sketches of prominent and representative citizens of the county: together with portraits and biographies of all the presidents of the United States, and governors of the state; Biographical Pub. Co., Chicago, IL; 1890; page 307-308]
Transcribed by Margaret Rose Whitehurst
Robert Hood, proprietor of coal mines, was born June 12, 1832, in Petenweams parish, Fifeshire, Scotland, and crossed the ocean to Maryland in 1854; Sept. 18, 1857, he married Theresa Mary Ann Vivian, a native of London, Eng., and they have had 8 children, 7 of whom are living. Mr. Hood opened the first coal mine in Colchester, McDonough Co., and became a salesman for the company in Quincy. He settled in Harris township. One miner, Simon Roser, has worked for Mr. Hood for 23 years. Mr. H. still retains the mine he first opened here, although he has much competition. Republican. P. O., Bushnell.
[History of Fulton County, Illinois; together with Sketches of its Cities, Villages and Townships, Educational, Religious, Civil, Military, and Political History; Portraits of Prominent Persons and Biographies of Representative Citizens. Chas. C. Chapman & Co., Peoria, Illinois, 1879, page 702, Harris Township]
Submitted by Sara Hemp
John D. Hainline
Few men are better known in Emmet township than the subject of our sketch—John Dunford Hainline, who for a period of thirty-eight years has made his home on section six. His parents were George and Flora (Cockerel) Hainline, the former a Kentuckian by birth, being born in Fayette county of that State, while the latter was a Tennessean, but raised in the same county in Kentucky as her husband. John D., their son, was born in Montgomery county, Kentucky, on the seventh day of September, 1817. His mother for years made all the clothing used by the entire family, while his father endeavored in his way to provide for their wants in tilling the soil. The implements that he used for this purpose would make the young farmer of this country stare in wonder and amazement. Just think of using a plow made entirely of wood, drawn by a horse wearing a collar made of bark, stuffed with husks of corn! But such was the way the work was performed and yet all managed to live. John was a great lover of amusements, and would go to as great length to gratify his desires in this line as any in the land. Coon and possum hunting were among the chief means of diversion, occasionally varied by visiting the pretty girls of the neighborhood. The only educational advantages he received were in attending a school two months each winter for about seven years, in an old log school house, where, on an old slab seat, he was compelled to sit from morning until night. For a window a long was removed, and greased paper was placed over the hole made by its removal. The branches taught in the school were "reading, 'riting and 'rithmatic." Not a grammar or geography was ever seen it in. Notwithstanding the love of fun which predominated in young Hainline, he was in youth quite steady, the result of the training received from his parents, who were quite strict in their government.
In 1836, when but twenty years of age he led to the hymenial altar Miss Margaret Ann Douthit, and two years thereafter emigrated to McDonough county, settling in Emmet township. By her he had eleven children, eight of whom yet live, one son George L. being killed at Bentonville, N.C., during the late war. This son was a member of the 16th regiment and was among the first to enlist in the defense of his country. James Lewis Hainline, a nephew, but who was raised by Mr. H. enlisted at the same time, was wounded at Bentonville, and died in Missouri some time in 1866. Mrs. Hainline died Nov. 3, 1869. About one year after, Mr. Hainline was again married, this time to Miss Amanda J. Purdy, with whom he yet lives.
One hundred acres of the farm of Mr. Hainline, was purchased by him on his arrival in the county for the sum of $700. The land was improved, and the price paid was considered very high at the time. Other land adjoining was afterwards purchased for ten dollars per acre. The farm is now one of the most valuable in Emmet township. In his day Mr. Hainline has been a very stout and robust man, and has never, during his entire life, been confined to his bed by sickness but two weeks. The cares of the world never seem to trouble him in the least; he never worries or complains. Having, by his own industry, laid up for himself a sufficient amount of worldly goods to enable him to live comfortably, he passes along through life in a contented manner. On his land are found veins of excellent coal, which have but recently been discovered, and from which, during the past year (1876), about 15,000 bushels of coal were taken. This being the only coal mine in that section of country, will eventually make the land very valuable.
In politics Mr. Hainline was originally an old line Whig, but when the old party disbanded he affiliated for a time with the American party. In 1858, when Lincoln made his celebrated campaign with Douglas for the Senate, a campaign of national importance, he voted the Republican ticket, and ever since has been an earnest supporter of its men and measures. On the accession of Lincoln to the Presidency in 1861, when war was proclaimed, his whole influence was exerted in the cause of freedom and union, and two of his sons (all that were old enough) he sent forth to battle for their country, one of whom, as previously stated, laid down his life in its defense, the other returning at the close of the war to receive honors from his fellow-citizens. He is one of the editors of the well known Macomb Journal.
Mr. Hainline has never made a profession of religion, but has endeavored to live a strictly moral life, although we believe no man would resent an insult quicker than he. In his neighborhood, and among those with whom he is acquainted, he is highly respected.
History of McDonough County, Illinois: Its Cities, Towns and Villages - Volume 1, pages 357-359, by S.J. Clark 1878
Transcribed By: Chandra Hainline
William H. Hainline
Wm. H. Hainline was born in Emmet township, McDonough county, July 29, 1841, and has been a continuous resident of the county from that date, and therefore may be classed as an old settler. His parents were John D. and Margaret A. Hainline, who immigrated from the State of Kentucky at an early day, the father yet residing upon the old homestead in Emmet township. The subject of this sketch spent his childhood and youth upon the farm, his life being varied by work in the summer and attendance upon the district school in the winter. With the exception of three months his entire schooling was received in one district. Until eighteen years of age he continued to work for his father. At that time the country was excited by the discovery of gold in Pike’s Peak, when he persuaded his father to let him seek his fortune in that new Eldorado. Going to the Peak, he labored about three weeks in the mines, when not being satisfied with the prospects, he returned home, thoroughly cured of the "gold fever", and willing enough to take his place behind the plow, and turn gold out of the black soil of Illinois. In farm work he continued until the boom of the cannon was heard reverberating from Fort Sumpter, when, hastening to Macomb, on the nineteenth day of April, 1861, he enlisted in Capt. Ralston's company of "Union Guards", under the first call of the President for 75,000 men, but on account of the lack of transportation the company could not leave Macomb in time, and therefore failed to be numbered with the first quota. A call of the State had in the meantime been made for ten regiments, and this company was sworn in for thirty days, and afterward, on the twenty-forth day of May, 1861, mustered into the United States service for three years, or during the war, becoming Co. A, 16th Regiment Illinois Volunteers. "During the war" was taken literally by Mr. Hainline, and five months before the expiration of his three years’ service, he re-enlisted as a veteran, and continued with his regiment until the proclamation of peace was issued and the regiment mustered out on the eighth day of July, 1865. In every campaign in which the regiment participated he bore his part, and in the battle of Peach Tree Creek, in front of Atlanta, on the twentieth of July, 1864, he was taken prisoner by the rebels, and five days thereafter was placed in the dread prison pen of Andersonville. For two months he was confined at that place, where the prisoners were dying at the rate of one hundred each day, dying of starvation and exposure, the rebels refusing to take any measures to better their condition. The horrors of that prison will ever be impressed upon his mind, and it is therefore little to be wondered that he scarcely forgives the authors of that misery.
On returning home, Mr. Hainline, the following fall, received from his party the nomination for the office of County Treasurer, and, notwithstanding the objection raised against him on account of his youth, and that he ran against the most popular man in the ranks of the opposition, he was triumphantly elected. The amount of his bond was $650,000, owing to the heavy bounty tax, but had been $2,000,000 it would have been given. In the discharge of his duties he gave perfect satisfaction to men of all parties, and in the two years of his service he handled more money than any Treasurer in the county has ever done in the same length of time.
Shortly after the expiration of his term of office he purchased an interest in the drug store of P. H. Delancy, continuing in that business until the fall of 1869.
On the twelfth day of June, 1866, he was united in marriage with Miss Victoria Shleich, of Fulton county. Three children were the result of this union, one of whom died in infancy. Mrs. Hainline departed this life February 24, 1874, her loss deeply felt not only by the sorrowing husband and motherless children, but by many friends. She was a woman of many excellent qualities of head and heart, and would attract friends wherever her lot was cast. In the sweet bye-and by she rests from her labors, while her works do follow her.
It is needless to say that in politics Mr. Hainline is a Republican “of the strictest sect.” It can well be said of him that the principles of that party are “bred in the bone,” his parents and all bearing the name of the same political persuasion. In June, 1870, he purchased a half interest in the Macomb Journal, the leading paper of the city, and became associate editor. As a local writer he ranks among the best in the State, and in the advocacy of his political views he never fails to make himself understood, and always takes advance ground upon all questions of the day.
In addition to the office of County Treasurer, Mr. Hainline has held the office of Alderman of the First Ward, Macomb, for two years, and represented the city as a member of the Board of Supervisors for three years. In the discharge of all his official duties he labors faithfully to advance the best interests of his constituents, being alive to all questions of public good. While he would practice strict economy in the management of public affairs, he would not be niggardly in expenditures, knowing that it is possible for public servants, as well as private individuals, to be “penny wise and pound foolish.”
William H. Hainline is rather below medium height, quick in motion, and is generally in the enjoyment of reasonably good health. As a citizen he enjoys the respect and esteem of every one, and as a friend and neighbor he is kind and benevolent, with a heart open to hear the cries of the afflicted of earth. That he is public spirited is proven by his acts and votes upon questions that pertain to the general good of all.
History of McDonough County, Illinois: Its Cities, Towns and Villages - Volume 1, pages 359 - 361, by S.J. Clark 1878
Transcribed by: Chandra Hainline
William C. Hainline
There are many persons bearing the name of Hainline in this county, all universally respected and none more so that the subject of this sketch. Mr. Hainline came to this county in 1838 in company with his parents, George and Flora (Cockrell) Hainline. The elder Hainline was well known as a man of strong character, a zealous member of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church and strict in the observance of such duties as he regarded right and proper. He was born in Clark county, Kentucky, on the fourth of June, 1791. His father, the grandfather of William, was one of the pioneers of that State, having emigrated thereto with Daniel Boone. Mrs. Hainline comes of a family somewhat noted in the affairs of that State and in Missouri. Senator Cockrell of the latter State being a relative. Mr. and Mrs. Hainline were united in marriage in 1812, the latter being at the time only sixteen years of age. Eleven children were born unto them, seven boys and four girls, all of whom lived to have families of their own, and all immigrating with their parents to this State and county. Four have since died. Mr. Hainline departed this life in March, 1868, and was followed in October, 1870, by his loved companion. Both died as they had lived, in the full assurance of hope of a glorious life beyond the grave.
William C. Hainline was born in Montgomery county, Kentucky, on the thirtieth day of May, 1823. His early life was passed upon the farm in his native State and in this county, where he arrived on the twenty-eighth day of October, 1838, and settle with his parents on section 6, Emmett township. It may be well to remark that the elder Hainline, the father of William, while still a resident of Kentucky, was in good circumstances financially, and would have never left his native State, had it not been for the curse of slavery. He was a strong anti-slavery man, and we believe there are none of his descendants but what viewed the question in the same light that he did. William remained at home with his parents some ten years after his arrival in McDonough county, when he purchased for himself a farm on section 15, Hire township, where he removed, and where he has since continued to reside. For this farm he paid three dollars per acre. It is now worth $60 per acre, and is one of the best in the county, but when he moved upon it, it was wild prairie land and at some distance from the dwelling of any one. Fears were entertained by his friends that he would cut himself off from all social influence, and would never have any neighbors.
Without a dollar’s aid from any one, he has by his own industry and good management acquired considerable property, and is to-day the possessor of five hundred acres of as fine land as we have in the county. Mr. H. has followed no other business than that of farming, having a taste for that alone. His health has always been labored in the harvest field, beginning that work when only ten years of age. He has never had to keep to his bed twenty-four hours at one time in his life from sickness that he can remember. Such good health is unusual.
In 1849, Mr. Hainline was married to Miss Elizabeth Logan, daughter of the well known pioneer Baptist preacher, Elder John Logan. She was the second white female child born in the county. Ten children were born in the house in which they now reside. The oldest son is a physician, who now lives in Missouri.
During the days of the old Whig party Mr. Hainline was a strong supporter of its men and measures, but since the organization of the Republican party, he has been one of its most earnest and zealous advocates. The strong anti-slavery views of his father found a response in his breast, and the principles of that party were such as to command his sympathy and support. Although he takes no very active part in the work of the party, yet no man in the county feels a greater interest in its success. The annual elections always find him at the polls, and it is his boast that he has never scratched a ticket. He has never held office of any kind, nor has ever desired one.
For thirty years he has resided in the same neighborhood, and in that time has never had a quarrel, a law suit or trouble of any kind with anyone. He attends strictly to his own affairs and allows others the same privilege. No one possesses a kinder heart and none are more accommodating; he is always willing and ready to render a favor, even at a sacrifice to himself.
William C. Hainline is in height about five feet ten inches, and weighs about one hundred and seventy pounds; his complexion is rather dark than otherwise.
[History of McDonough County, Illinois: Its Cities, Towns and Villages - Volume 1, pages 369 - 371, by S.J. Clark 1878]
Transcribed by: Chandra Hainline
John Huff, deceased , was an early settler of Sciota township. He was born in Schuyler County, Illinois, September 27, 1833, and reared in the town of Rushville. About the year 1849, his father, Andrew Huff, removed with his family to Blandinsville township, McDonough, County, and there remained until the spring of 1853. At that date, John Huff went to California, and remained three years, returning then to this county. In 1857 he located on Section 28, in Sciota township, where his family now reside. He was marred to Rebecca Anderson, daughter of Preston Anderson, and old settle of Blandinsville township. Their marriage took place January 15, 1857. They had 5 children-Joseph F, Berry L, Lewis G, Oliver N and Parley J. Joseph F Huff was born on the farm where he now lives May 1, 1860, and has spent his entire life in this township. He is a good and worthy young man, and a member of the IOOF of Sciota. Berry L Huff, was born April 10, 1863 on the home place. They have a finely improved farm of 100 acres which they successfully manage, and are engaged in general farming.
[History of McDonough Co, pg 936]