John C. Moore
John C. Moore came to Fulton County as early as 1843, and as one of its pioneers has done his share of the hard labor necessary to develop its agricultural resources. His work has been blessed to him, and he is now passing his declining years in honorable retirement, enjoying the competence that he has gathered together.
Mr. Moore was born in Washington County, Pa., December 17, 1817. He was reared and received his schooling in his native place, and in the early years of a stalwart manhood made his way to Fulton County, and cast in his lot with its early settlers. He first located on section 27, Bernadotte Township, where he bought ninety acres of land which he improved into a good farm and there reared his children. After his last wife died he took up his residence with his youngest son and is still a welcome inmate of his home. He still owns the old homestead, his son-in-law, Anthony C. Ernst, renting the place. It is provided with the necessary buildings and the soil is admirably tilled, making it a very productive and valuable piece of property. When he first came here he was extensively engaged in raising sheep and in 1843-44 herded eleven hundred on the branch of the Spoon River.
Mr. Moore was not married until after he came to this county. In 1845, he married Elizabeth J. Walters, and their union brought to them four children, two sons and two daughters, of whom the following is recorded: Mary Ann, the oldest, born November 16, 1845, died and was buried in the Walters Cemetery, in Bernadotte Township; Walter T., the next in order of birth, was born April 6, 1847, married Mary L. St. Clair, and they live in McDonough County, Ill.; Martha L., born in March, 1848, married Anderson Clark, and they live on a farm of one hundred and sixty acres belonging to them in McDonough County; William H. born October 6, 1851, married Martha, daughter of Joseph and Lucy J. McMillan, and they reside on their own farm of one hundred and sixty acres in Bernadotte Township. Mrs. Moore, the mother of these children, departed this life June 28, 1852, and was buried in the Walters Cemetery.
Our subject married his second wife Miss Mary Jane Scott. They had four children born to them, two sons and two daughters, as follows: John I., born August 5, 1853, deceased; Nancy A., born November 10, 1855, married Anthony C. Ernst, and they live on the old homestead on section 27; Samuel R., born June 2, 1858, married Lucinda, daughter of Dr. J. M. and Mary E. Steel, and they reside on their own farm of ninety-six acres on section 27, of Bernadotte Township; Alice, born in January, 1862, died in the month of July, the same years. Mrs. Moore's death occurred in August 1862, and her mortal remains were placed in Walters Cemetery. The maiden name of Mr. Moore's third wife was Ellen C. McCullough. She lived until March 2, 1880, and then passed away, and is now sleeping her last sleep in Walters Cemetery.
Our subject has led a peaceful, quiet life. He has never been on but one jury and that was before a justice of the peace, and he never had a lawsuit in this country and has never testified as a witness. He has aimed to deal justly by his fellow-men and has been honorable in his dealings. He was for several years a School Director and Roadmaster. The first vote he ever cast was for Gen. Harrison in 1840. He now gives his support to the man and not to the party, and has not taken a very active part in politics of late years. He is a worthy member of the Presbyterian Church and contributes liberally to the support of the Gospel. Our subject comes of along-lived and hardy race and has a sister living at an advanced age. He has eighteen grandchildren and one great-grandchild to perpetuate his name.
["Portrait and Biographical Album of Fulton County, Illinois: containing full page portraits and biographical sketches of prominent and representative citizens of the county: together with portraits and biographies of all the presidents of the United States, and governors of the state;" Biographical Pub. Co., Chicago, IL; 1890; page 282 & 285]
Transcribed by Margaret Rose Whitehurst
J. W. Morgan, is a prominent farmer living over in McDonough county. P. O., Table Grove.
[History of Fulton County, Illinois; together with Sketches of its Cities, Villages and Townships, Educational, Religious, Civil, Military, and Political History; Portraits of Prominent Persons and Biographies of Representative Citizens. Chas. C. Chapman & Co., Peoria, Illinois, 1879, page 665, Farmers' Township]
Submitted by Sara Hemp
Joseph C. Morgan
Joseph C. Morgan was born in Fulton Co., Nov. 21, 1847, and is the son of Dr. Darius T. Morgan, a native of New York, and who has been a practicing physician for 27 years. He is now located at Bushnell, Ill. Mr. M.'s mother, Martha Morgan, nee Harris, is a native of Ohio. He received a common-school education in Fulton Co.; was married Aug. 20, 1867, to Julia E. Fuller, daughter of Amos S. Fuller, whose biography appears in this work. She was born Oct. 19, 1850, in Lorain Co., O., and is a member of the M. E. Church. Mr. M. is engaged in farming. P. O., Seville.
[History of Fulton County, Illinois; together with Sketches of its Cities, Villages and Townships, Educational, Religious, Civil, Military, and Political History; Portraits of Prominent Persons and Biographies of Representative Citizens. Chas. C. Chapman & Co., Peoria, Illinois, 1879, page 707, Harris Township]
Submitted by Sara Hemp
Joseph L. Mackey
Joseph L. Mackey, wagon-maker and blacksmith, Seville, is a son of Joseph and Elizabeth (Foresman) Mackey, and was born in McDonough Co., Ill., Oct. 19, 1847. His parents were natives of the Keystone State; his father is a prominent farmer in McDonough Co., and his mother is deceased; she died July 17, 1868. He came to this county in 1871, and located in the village of Seville, where he has since successfully followed his trades. He was married Dec. 16, 1869, to Mary M. Shamblen, a native of Ohio. They had a family of 4 children born to them, viz: Chas. L., George W., James W., and an infant, deceased.
[History of Fulton County, Illinois; together with Sketches of its Cities, Villages and Townships, Educational, Religious, Civil, Military, and Political History; Portraits of Prominent Persons and Biographies of Representative Citizens. Chas. C. Chapman & Co., Peoria, Illinois, 1879, page 703, Harris Township]
Submitted by Sara Hemp
On the 14th of August, 1847, the subject of this sketch was born in New York City, now Greater New York. His father was a Scotch tailor, Turner McGinnis. who came to the new world in the first half of the Nineteenth century. He located in the metropolis of the United States and was there married to Miss Mary Brand, an Irish lady. Rather late in life he removed westward into the Prairie state and died there, in McDonough county, in 1893 at the age of seventy-three; his wife having passed away in the winter of 1848.
Joseph McGinnis was reared in town until twelve years of age, at which time he went into the country to do farm work by the month. He was so employed for three years when, at the age of fifteen, he enlisted in the 11th Illinois cavalry, Robert G. Ingersol's regiment. He served his full term of enlistment of three years and saw some of the "rough and tumble" that took place in the south. He was in the battle of Gun Town, Mississippi and Parker's Cross Roads, Tennessee, and other engagements and skirmishes, and was taken prisoner by General Forrest in one of these - on Grierson's raid. He was held thirty days and, with four others, made his escape by swimming the Yazoo river and risking their lives on the outcome of the attempt.
For three years after his discharge from the service our subject remained in Illinois, a farmer. He then, in 1868, came farther west and settled in Kansas. He located in Erie where he engaged in the livery business and continued it, with a partner, for three years, when he hired to a firm to clerk for and superintend a sawmill. Leaving this latter employment he took up a piece of government land in Walnut Grove township, Neosho county, proved up the same and deeded it. During this period, and for many years after it, he lived the life of a bachelor. In February, 1886, he was married to Miss Lucy Chatterton, a New York lady of Anglo-German lineage. Two daughters have come to bless this union, viz., Mary and Abigail, aged 14 and 12 years. Mr. McGinnis is a Mason, member of Erie lodge, No. 76, and is politically a Republican.
Source: History of Neosho and Wilson Counties, Kansas, Pub. by L. Wallace Duncan, Fort Scott, Kansas, Monitor Printing Co., 1902
Transcribed by VB
ISAAC A. OAKMAN
Isaac A. Oakman, a retired farmer, now living in Macomb, and Treasurer of the county, claims Pennsylvania as the State of his nativity. He was born in Bedford County on the 22nd of April, 1827, and is a son of Ebenezer and Ann (Ansley) Oakman, the former a native of Massachusetts, and the latter of Pennsylvania. The Oakman family is of Irish lineage, and it is probable that all of the name in America sprang from a common stem. Leaving the old By State, Ebenezer Oakman went to Philadelphia, where he became acquainted with and married Miss Ansley, who was his second wife. By trade he was a shoemaker, and followed that pursuit during his early life in the East. He removed from Philadelphia to Harrisburg, Pa., and subsequently traded his shoe store for a large tract of land in Bedford County. Locating thereon, he began clearing and improving the same, and in that valley built two sawmills. His home was in the midst of the forest, where were seen few evidences of civilization and progress. He died there in 1840. By his first wife he had five children, and by the second union were born seven children.
After the death of her husband, Mrs. Oakman, mother of our subject, came to Illinois, and six of her children ultimately located in Hancock and McDonough Counties. The journey was made by way of Pittsburgh, where they took a steamer for Warsaw. On reaching the Mississippi, they boarded a stern-wheel boat, thus saving about three hours in starting, but the other boat overtook them and the two vessels engaged in a race. This was a rather dangerous affair, and our subject thought that the end had come. The only thing for the passengers to do was to get their guns and command the officers of the boat to stop putting on more steam. At length they reached their destination in safety. Mrs. Oakman continued to reside in McDonough County until her death, which occured at the home of her son Isaac in 1881.
During his youth, Mr. Oakman of this sketch learned the tanning business in Huntingdon County, Pa., serving a four-years apprenticeship to the trade. He then followed the same pursuit for five years in his own interest near Chambersburg, Franklin County, Pa., and it was during his residence at that place that he met and married Miss Elizabeth M. Campbell. The wedding ceremony was performed on the 17th of June, 1851. They became the parents of eight children, and seven of the number are yet living. All reside in McDonough County, and five of the number are now married. Frank is engaged in farming near Bushnell; Mary Emma is the wife of Nicholas Swigert; William is engaged in the furniture business in Macomb; George is now editor of the Blandinsville Gazette; Maggie Belle is at home; and Bert is employed in the Eagle printing office in this city.
On his emigration to Illinois, Mr. Oakman first took up his residence in Fountain Green, Hancock County, where he arrived on the 12th of May, 1853. A year later he removed to McDonough County, purchased a farm in Hire Township, and turned his attention to agriculture pursuits, which he followed for many years. He was very successful in the work, and was the owner of a neat and well-kept farm, whose thrifty appearance indicated the careful supervision of the owner. Ere leaving his old home, Mr. Oakman was called upon to mourn the loss of his wife, who died on the 2nd of July, 1890.
In politics, our subject has always been a supporter of the Democracy, and on that ticket has been elected to a number of public offices. He served for three terms as Supervisor, and was a member of the County Board during the erection of the court house. In 1891 he was elected County Treasurer, which position he still fills. Removing to Macomb, he has here since made his home. He at once entered upon the duties of his office, and by his fidelity to the trust reposed in him he has won the commendation of all concerned. His business career has been one of success, and by his well-directed efforts, his industry and perserverance, he has acquired a comfortable competence, which numbers him among the substantial citizens of the community.
Portrait and Biographical Record of Hancock, McDonough and Henderson Counties Illinois, 1894
Pages 279 - 280
[Transcribed by Chandra Hainline]
S. D. PERRY
S. D. PERRY, editor and publisher; legislator; (Dem.); b. Oct. 13, 1867, Bushnell, Ills.; educ. pub. schls. Bushnell; student Western Normal, Bushnell, 1885-6; became an apprentice to the printer's trade in Bushnell, 1887, and became a journeyman printer 1890; married, 1890, in Bushnell, Ills., to Grace P. Sutherland; editor Red Bud (Ills.) Democrat, 1892-3; publisher Sunday morning paper in East St. Louis, Ills., 1893; editor and publisher of newspapers in Batavia, Libertyville, Pleasant Plain, and The Packwood Review, Packwood, Iowa, from 1896 to 1904; established The Gillette News, at Gillette, Wyoming, 1904, and was its editor and publisher until 1912; purchased The Crook County Monitor, Sundance, Wyo., Oct. 17, 1910; removed to Sundance from Gillette, March, 1913; clerk school board Gillette, 1905-12; mem. Wyo. H. of Rep., 1913-15; mem. K. of P.; Eagles; Yeomen. Address: Sundance, Wyoming.
[Source: "Men of Wyoming", Publ 1915]
Transcribed by Denise Moreau